16 minutes ago, BigTom said:

If any one is thinking about getting an Ebook, Staples has the Kindle Fire on sale in their current flier for only $39.99.

That sounds like an incredible deal.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that's a few years old now.  It still works fine, but it did mysteriously lock-up on me once until I found a hack on-line to fix it.  I figure I will need to replace it soon.  I'm only interested in using a Kindle for reading- is the Paperwhite the best model for that?

TCD

14 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that's a few years old now.  It still works fine, but it did mysteriously lock-up on me once until I found a hack on-line to fix it.  I figure I will need to replace it soon.  I'm only interested in using a Kindle for reading- is the Paperwhite the best model for that?

TCD

They say the the paperwhite is the closest to a book, so if that's all you are using it for then it's the best choice.

I think they have added some features/improvements like lighting on them.

I bought a Fire 7 HD the day before Amazon Prime Day and it's been working great for me.

53 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

I have the Paperwhite and the Fire. The Fire has color and can be connected to the web and I like it better for general reading, it is a bit larger. The Paperwhite is smaller and can be read in the sun or darkness. It is about the size of a paperback book but thinner. After having both, don"t think I will buy another Paperwhite as the Fire has color and sound and is easier to hold, Also you can get 2 Fires for the price on one Paperwhite.

30 minutes ago, BigTom said:

I have the Paperwhite and the Fire. The Fire has color and can be connected to the web and I like it better for general reading, it is a bit larger. The Paperwhite is smaller and can be read in the sun or darkness. It is about the size of a paperback book but thinner. After having both, don"t think I will buy another Paperwhite as the Fire has color and sound and is easier to hold, Also you can get 2 Fires for the price on one Paperwhite.

Thanks for the feedback.

I like the Paperwhite- it's great to bring on a plane and to read in places with bad lighting.  I like the size, and I'm always amazed at how long a battery charge lasts on it.  I think it works best for me because it was only built to do one thing.  Even the price on those has come down quite a bit.

TCD

Agreed on the Paperwhite, e-paper screen means its easier on the eyes and the battery lasts longer. I have a 7-inch android tablet that I used to use for ebooks but prefer the paperwhite. It used to be the case that the ebooks from my library didn't work on Kindle but that's no longer true. I am looking at one of the new kindle oasis which is waterproof. My daughter is asking for a kindle when that happens tempted to give her mine and get a new one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Even though I have an iPad, I read on my Kindle. It's much easier on the eyes, especially at night. 

That is a nice feature on the Fires, for night time viewing you can reduce the blue tints (which supposedly messes with your sleep cycle) by hitting a setting.

Not sure if the newer iPads have that, my old 2+ doesn't .

I haven't done a lot of reading in awhile, but one of my favorite book series is by Janet Dailey, the Calder series. It started with This Calder Sky, but then she went back to the beginning with This Calder Range and started in the beginning. Calder Sky is actually #3 chronologically. There are about 7 books in the series starting with roaming west from Texas to Montana to form a large cattle ranch in the 1800s to the latest book probably taking place in the late 1990s. It follows the family and the ranch generationally.

I haven't looked into readers in awhile. I had an old, really slow Nook reader, and was reading a lot on planes while traveling. When I discovered the Nook app on my phone, I read on that. A separate reader is just something else to keep up with and charge. I just put the words really large on my phone, and do a lot of page flipping. Not a big deal for me.

• 2 years later...

Our county library has reopened and are delivering books again..  Order then by computer and a few days later there they are sitting on your porch.  I have re-read all the Anne McCaffrey books of Pern that I own.  Now the library is delivering some I have missed.

Sadly Anne passed away a few years ago but her son Todd writes of Pern and I just discovered a Pern book written by Anne's daughter Gigi.

6 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Our county library has reopened and are delivering books again..  Order then by computer and a few days later there they are sitting on your porch.  I have re-read all the Anne McCaffrey books of Pern that I own.  Now the library is delivering some I have missed.

Sadly Anne passed away a few years ago but her son Todd writes of Pern and I just discovered a Pern book written by Anne's daughter Gigi.

I am a big fan of the Pern books. Another pair of authors I quite enjoy is David and Leigh Eddings. 

I love SF / Fantasy.  I'm also a big fan of the Pern books.  If you want some fun reading, Piers Anthony's Magic of Xanth series is good.  Full of puns, set in an alternate reality of Florida (Lake Ogre-fen-Ogre).  It's currently at 41 books, so you might want to consider that...but the first book is "A Spell for Chameleon" if you want to look it up.  Same author, but more down to earth is his series on the Incarnations of Immortality, starting with "On a Pale Horse".  

Piers lives in Florida, and is a very prolific writer.

21 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

I love SF / Fantasy.  I'm also a big fan of the Pern books.  If you want some fun reading, Piers Anthony's Magic of Xanth series is good.  Full of puns, set in an alternate reality of Florida (Lake Ogre-fen-Ogre).  It's currently at 41 books, so you might want to consider that...but the first book is "A Spell for Chameleon" if you want to look it up.  Same author, but more down to earth is his series on the Incarnations of Immortality, starting with "On a Pale Horse".  

Piers lives in Florida, and is a very prolific writer.

I was reading the Xanth series quite a while ago.  I think I got up to about 15 when the total count was in the low 20s.

41?  I'll never get caught up!

Love that I-4 is the Gap Chasm!

These were good...The Wheel of Time is a series of high fantasy novels written by American author James Oliver Rigney Jr., under his pen name of Robert Jordan. Originally planned as a six-book series, The Wheel of Time spanned fourteen volumes, in addition to a prequel novel and two companion books.

Another good series...Cities in Flight is a four-volume series of science fiction novels and short stories by American writer James Blish, originally published between 1950 and 1962, which were first known collectively as the "Okie" novels.

Last ones I'll mention... The Foundation series is a science fiction book series written by American author Isaac Asimov. First collected in 1951, for thirty years the series was a trilogy: Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation. It won the one-time Hugo Award for "Best All-Time Series" in 1966.[1][2] Asimov began adding new volumes in 1981, with two sequels: Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth, and two prequels: Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation. The additions made reference to events in Asimov's Robot and Empire series, indicating that they were also set in the same fictional universe.

I've always liked the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett and finished reading the series earlier this year. I'm currently close to the end of  Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke and haven't decided what I'll look to read next. I've thought about going back and reading the Foundation series since I haven't read them in something like 40 years. I've also toyed with the same idea for Kurt Vonnegut whose books I haven't read since high school. 

One of my girls really liked the Xanth series when she was in high school. I never read it but will keep it in mind. My problem is when I find a series I like I binge until I've read the full set and since I'm the type who purchases a book without ever getting rid of it shelf space can be scarce.

On 7/27/2020 at 11:12 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

I am a big fan of the Pern books. Another pair of authors I quite enjoy is David and Leigh Eddings. 

I love David and Leigh Eddings also - they take up quite a bit of space on my bookshelf.