• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are a few pictures from yesterday: Entrance to the 100 and 200 loops: Newly paved road after sewer line repair: Damaged fence at Meadows Trading Post: Canal in

If anyone on here evacuates up to the northeast Alabama area you are welcome to park at my shop. We have power and a dump station available.

I finally heard from my older sister.  She made it out of Port St. Lucie and up to some family we have in NYC.  And now the great news. Friday her doctor called her and told her that she doesn't have

Posted Images

It's looking better for us on West coast but worse for those on the east coast, praying it turns further east. 

Went to go get sandbags this morning, waited 30 mins in line, was still several blocks from where they were handing them out when they ran out of sand. They were open for a whole of 44 mins. Although have heard first hand that they weren't necessarily follow the 10 bags per person limit that the county had said and that one business took over 200 sandbags.  

My mother has been told she will not be required to be at work, will watch tonight and see what it forecast looks like and go from there. My main concern is power being out for any extended period of time with my grandfather on oxygen. 

39 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

It's looking better for us on West coast but worse for those on the east coast, praying it turns further east. 

Went to go get sandbags this morning, waited 30 mins in line, was still several blocks from where they were handing them out when they ran out of sand. They were open for a whole of 44 mins. Although have heard first hand that they weren't necessarily follow the 10 bags per person limit that the county had said and that one business took over 200 sandbags.  

My mother has been told she will not be required to be at work, will watch tonight and see what it forecast looks like and go from there. My main concern is power being out for any extended period of time with my grandfather on oxygen. 

what good would 10 sandbags do?

I don't understand what is going on with this storm.

I've lived on the west coast of Florida, just a couple of miles inland, for almost 40 years now, and I've never seen a government reaction to a storm like this one when it's been so far out at sea.

I guess everyone is spooked by Harvey (and Katrina).

They just announced that they are cancelling school for tomorrow and Friday for the two major counties in the Tampa Bay area (Pinellas and Hillsborough counties).  We are on the west side of the state.

No matter what projection you look at, there will be no impact from Irma in this area tomorrow or Friday.

Lots of gas stations are out of gas.  The stores are out of water and other supplies.

I've never seen this before.

TCD

Schools closed in Manatee county on Friday but open tomorrow, between this, labor day and early release today the kids are happy this week. Typically school closures  like this are because the schools are potentially used as shelters for people eventuated from else where.

9 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I've lived on the west coast of Florida, just a couple of miles inland, for almost 40 years now, and I've never seen a government reaction to a storm like this one when it's been so far out at sea.

They just announced that they are cancelling school for tomorrow and Friday for the two major counties in the Tampa Bay area (Pinellas and Hillsborough counties).  We are on the west side of the state.

No matter what projection you look at, there will be no impact from Irma in this area tomorrow or Friday.

Lots of gas stations are out of gas.  The stores are out of water and other supplies.

TCD

I was thinking the same thing, I couldn't believe how early they declared a state of emergency in Florida.  Politicians are trying to cover themselves I guess.

I know here in Southwest Louisiana they've gotten to where they cancel school if there's even a remote possiblity of flooded roads.  It's gotten to the point where the last few storms they've canceled days too early.  Harvy was a bit strange in that you couldn't tell where it was going so I can't blame them about it, but we had three days off from that storm.  Then again if Harvey had moved 30 miles west we would have been swamped.

WBI

1 minute ago, slices said:

Typically school closures  like this are because the schools are potentially used as shelters for people eventuated from else where.

Here in Pinellas County, schools are used as shelters for county residents who have to evacuate from the beaches, mobile home parks, and low lying areas.  But, as far as I know, they aren't going to be ordering any evacuations on Thursday or Friday, and the shelters aren't going to be opening.  So why did they cancel school for two days?

Dumb.

TCD

13 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

I agree.  They are being extremely pro-active.

Maybe they are all watching Dennis!

People are definitely reacting to the government warnings.

Hernando announced yesterday that they were closed Thursday and Friday. Hillsborough may be closed Monday also.

The state is losing quite a bit of $$ suspending all tolls throughout the state. And they are suspending weight limits for trucks.

I know we have to take this seriously, but it's still too early to be sure where it's heading.

3 minutes ago, slices said:

Schools closed in Manatee county on Friday but open tomorrow, between this, labor day and early release today the kids are happy this week. Typically school closures  like this are because the schools are potentially used as shelters for people eventuated from else where.

That's what they say, but are people going to come all the way from the Keys/Miami to the upper Gulf Coast, especially now that it looks like it's going to be mainly on the east coast.

I could see them heading across Alligator Alley and ending up in the Naples/Fort Myers area before driving another 2 hours plus to get to the Tampa area.

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Maybe they are all watching Dennis!

Are you talking about that jackwagon in the suspenders?

That dumbass sent thousands of people in to harms' way when his predictions and ranting about Hurricane Charley were so far off.

He should have been kicked off the air for that. I guess he thinks it's been long enough in the past that he can run his big mouth again.  And boy is he.

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I know we have to take this seriously, but it's still too early to be sure where it's heading.

That's what they say, but are people going to come all the way from the Keys/Miami to the upper Gulf Coast, especially now that it looks like it's going to be mainly on the east coast.

I could see them heading across Alligator Alley and ending up in the Naples/Fort Myers area before driving another 2 hours plus to get to the Tampa area.

And this is why it's so stupid to be calling for evacuations so early.  People could be leaving a safe place and heading right into the ultimate path of the storm.

Rick Scott is a worthless idiot.  He is only pandering to voters by suspending tolls.

TCD

When Matthew went up the east coast last year we had a lot of people who evacuated over here to the west coast. If I remember correctly some of the Manatee county shelters opened for them and locals in trailers and low lying areas. 

I have been surprised by the way this storm is effecting people, me included. I don't even remember it being as bad when Charlie was supposed to come through here and that would have been almost a direct hit. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just surprising. 

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Are you talking about that jackwagon in the suspenders?

That dumbass sent thousands of people in to harms' way when his predictions and ranting about Hurricane Charley were so far off.

He should have been kicked off the air for that. I guess he thinks it's been long enough in the past that he can run his big mouth again.  And boy is he.

And this is why it's so stupid to be calling for evacuations so early.  People could be leaving a safe place and heading right into the ultimate path of the storm.

Rick Scott is a worthless idiot.  He is only pandering to voters by suspending tolls.

TCD

Awww, Dennis is loved by millions!  At least he thinks he is.

A co-worker did a survey for ABC 28 a while back and everyone in the survey ripped into Dennis. They later found out he was in the other room listening, but he hasn't changed.

3 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Awww, Dennis is loved by millions!  At least he thinks he is.

A co-worker did a survey for ABC 28 a while back and everyone in the survey ripped into Dennis. They later found out he was in the other room listening, but he hasn't changed.

I have friends who are social acquaintances of Dennis.  I've been to a couple of parties where he has been in attendance, and I've had one on one conversations with him.  He's not a bad guy in person.  But, like everyone in his profession, he loves to hype things for ratings.  Which makes him useless.

TCD

I don't think they are calling for evacuations too early.   If they wait until they know for sure where the storm will go, highways will get clogged with people trying to leave.  You just cannot evacuate a huge population in 2 days.   Trying to get as many people in south Florida OUT of there now, is the right way to go.  It's why they did not call for the evacuation of Houston before Harvey.  It was too late.  You can't move 6.5 million people over the existing roadways in 48 hours.

The gas situation is very telling.  If stations are already running out of gas,  the government at least has a chance to get more gas in now to get more people out in the next few days,  than if there was less time.  The gas would have run out, no matter what.   Better that there is time for some resupply.  

The weather men can only offer suggestions of their best guess.   That they get it wrong is undeniable, but it's better if everyone gets out of ANY path, than to scoff at the weather men and then be in the thick of the storm.

32 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

I don't think they are calling for evacuations too early.   If they wait until they know for sure where the storm will go, highways will get clogged with people trying to leave.  You just cannot evacuate a huge population in 2 days.   Trying to get as many people in south Florida OUT of there now, is the right way to go.  It's why they did not call for the evacuation of Houston before Harvey.  It was too late.  You can't move 6.5 million people over the existing roadways in 48 hours.

The gas situation is very telling.  If stations are already running out of gas,  the government at least has a chance to get more gas in now to get more people out in the next few days,  than if there was less time.  The gas would have run out, no matter what.   Better that there is time for some resupply.  

The weather men can only offer suggestions of their best guess.   That they get it wrong is undeniable, but it's better if everyone gets out of ANY path, than to scoff at the weather men and then be in the thick of the storm.

Calling for evacuations of the parts of the state closest to the storm is a smart thing to do since you don't know where it's going at this time, and you're correct, that is a lot of cars on the roadways.  And there are not that many ways out of S FL.

Closing the schools this early and that far away is an odd call.  I think they would have been better off waiting to see which way the storm is heading to see where the evacuees will be heading.  They aren't going to want to travel any further than they have to.

Looks like Disney isn't messing around with this one, or at least they're hedging some bets. From WDWNT...

Disney is already making some operational modifications in response to Hurricane Irma and some nasty weather that will arrive ahead of it.

Disney’s Blizzard Beach water park will be closed due to inclimate weather on September 8th and 9th, 2017. Typhoon Lagoon has not announced a closure as of yet.

Meanwhile, at Disney Springs, the Aerophile balloon has already closed so it can be deflated ahead of the storm.

Stay tuned for further updates.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/09/update-disney-world-closing-water-parks-aerophile-balloon-ahead-hurricane-irma/

1 hour ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

I may be mistaken, but you don't live in Florida, do you?

Where do you propose that all of the South Florida people evacuate to?  East coast of Florida?  West coast?  Disney World?  What if the storm turns and other people really need to evacuate.  Where do they go? It's too early to tell.

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I may be mistaken, but you don't live in Florida, do you?

Where do you propose that all of the South Florida people evacuate to?  East coast of Florida?  West coast?  Disney World?  What if the storm turns and other people really need to evacuate.  Where do they go? It's too early to tell.

I worked for many years with a large hotel chain.  I've handled the toll free number for reservations. and dealt with the room inventory in affected areas, for a number of Florida hurricanes.   I've watched the population of Florida get on the move a number of times.   I know that the people who can afford it,  need to get on the move 3 or 4 days ahead of the storm.   I've seen the state evacuate to Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina.  For those with less money, they need to get up to Orlando / Ocala / Jacksonville and into a rated storm shelter or well built hotel,   or if they cannot afford to move, they need to find a place further in from the coast to evacuate to, to not get caught in the storm surge,  or to get to a higher rated building for shelter.   

You have to scare the crap out of people to get them to move in time.  Every person they can get to move today is one less on the road tomorrow.  Tourists need to be scared off or stopped from coming in.  While Disney may be a great place to shelter from the storms, anyone staying off property, or visiting another city, is just another problem to deal with if the hurricane does hit that spot.

At some point,  waiting will get you killed.  If you do the 'wait and see' approach,  you may not be able to get out at all.  Again, if you can afford it,  it's best to just get the hell out now.

2 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

I worked for many years with a large hotel chain.  I've handled the toll free number for reservations. and dealt with the room inventory in affected areas, for a number of Florida hurricanes.   I've watched the population of Florida get on the move a number of times.   I know that the people who can afford it,  need to get on the move 3 or 4 days ahead of the storm.   I've seen the state evacuate to Georgia, Alabama and South Carolina.  For those with less money, they need to get up to Orlando / Ocala / Jacksonville and into a rated storm shelter or well built hotel,   or if they cannot afford to move, they need to find a place further in from the coast to evacuate to, to not get caught in the storm surge,  or to get to a higher rated building for shelter.   

You have to scare the crap out of people to get them to move in time.  Every person they can get to move today is one less on the road tomorrow.  Tourists need to be scared off or stopped from coming in.  While Disney may be a great place to shelter from the storms, anyone staying off property, or visiting another city, is just another problem to deal with if the hurricane does hit that spot.

At some point,  waiting will get you killed.  If you do the 'wait and see' approach,  you may not be able to get out at all.  Again, if you can afford it,  it's best to just get the hell out now.

That's a nice theory, but it's unrealistic and unattainable.  South Florida is severely overbuilt.  There is no way that they can call for people to evacuate 3 or 4 days ahead of a storm.  It's never happened, and it never will.

The overreaction by our Governor is nothing but a political stunt, and is certainly a plus for the gas stations and grocery stores.

TCD

I think some of the concern also has to do with the fact that this is the strongest storm on record. Since it is so strong folks aren't really sure what to expect other than it is bigger that Andrew and they know what it did to Florida. I think it is better to overreact than underestimate what might happen.

One other thing to do as the storm approaches is to fill bathtubs with water. Even if you are on city water it will stop working once the pumps lose power and the line pressure is relieved. It works well even for me as I can't hookup my generator until the weather clears so it lets us do simple things like flush toilets until I can get electricity to the well pump. 

41 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Supposedly I75 is slow going.  Someone posted it took them 6 hours to go from Tampa to Ocala a normal 2 hour trip.  News showed a complete standstill on the Fl Turnpike approaching Kissimmee.

Google traffic is showing a lot of red and orange 

There are a few people on this thread who must be biting their tongues reading some of these comments.  While I am no fan of our Governor he was told to suspend the tolls because they cause massive traffic jams during an evacuation.  Hurricane Andrew proved that.  If you try to evacuate a metropolitan area just prior to a hurricane you are planning for a disaster to happen.  Today it took a friend of mine 6 hours to drive from Homestead to Palm Beach County.  It should have taken two.  The Florida Turnpike is now impassible at certain times of the day.  You encourage people to evacuate early so that they can go to friends and family outside of the hurricane zone.  Plains and trains leaving south florida are now at capacity.  You can't get a ticket for love nor money.  The Dade States attorney is now investigating the airlines for price gouging. No one in their right mind would allow a loved one to go to a hurricane shelter.  With no electricity and running water the restrooms become open sewage pits.  While some now have electric generators many still do not.  No A/C in a gym with several hundred people is not to be believed.  I also policed Dade County during Hurricane Andrew.  As  fotofx steve can attest, the actual storm will not be the worst part; its the months and years it will take to get things back to normal if that is possible.  Courtesy and compassion will be the best tools you can have in the months ahead.  The lastest hurricane advisory has the size of the hurricane being much wider than the Florida peninsula.  Perhaps we should all be concerned.