Cars are gassed up, have an extra 6 gallons in the shed.

Took in all the lawn furniture last night and trimmed some branches out of the power/phone lines.  Will be doing more trimming tonight.

Going to move the truck to my neighbors driveway and my wifes car to the curb so they are away from our trees.

Had picked up supplies/water on Monday, and have plenty of containers to fill if it starts looking real bad.

Think we are as ready as we can be.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are a few pictures from yesterday: Entrance to the 100 and 200 loops: Newly paved road after sewer line repair: Damaged fence at Meadows Trading Post: Canal in

If anyone on here evacuates up to the northeast Alabama area you are welcome to park at my shop. We have power and a dump station available.

I finally heard from my older sister.  She made it out of Port St. Lucie and up to some family we have in NYC.  And now the great news. Friday her doctor called her and told her that she doesn't have

Posted Images

11 hours ago, mickeyfan0805 said:

I would hope they would take this approach again.  Allowing people to leave trailers in the campground invites extensive damage that is avoidable and unnecessary. Getting the people out will assure their safety - moving the trailers to a big open parking lot will assure they minimize damage to the resort. I don't see why they would leave them in place at the Fort. 

Agreed.  Someone posted to the FF Facebook page that they left and that they'd never seen the Fort so empty, so it sounds like people are doing just that.

10 hours ago, Starbuc71 said:

I'm not really going to get into this post and start to rant and rave like I usually do. Whether the Governor is an idiot or not, we all need to pray.  This a monster record breaking storm. We will lose many lives and there will be catastrophic damage somewhere in Florida.  I have been through many hurricanes and I don't usually freak out, but this has me nervous. Many Floridians have put there guards down since we had so many quiet years. If you can leave and have no job commitments here, go.  Get out of this path. For those of us who need to be here to take care of those who can't take care of themselves, pray for us. Be safe and Godspeed 

^This^

Stay safe everyone, and check in when you can to let us know you're ok.  

From Disney Food Blog...

New dining reservations are not being accepted for any Disney World restaurants for the dates of September 10th or 11th. Also, the regular dining cancellation policies will not be enforced for reservations through Monday, September 11th. Below is the statement from the Disney World website.

Screenshot from Disney World website

Screenshot from Disney World website

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2017/09/08/breaking-news-disney-halts-dining-reservations-during-hurricane-irma/

9 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

WHAT!!! How dare them ruining someones dream vacation!  I'm gonna sue!

Seriously, smart thinking on their part. 

If I were them I wouldn't be taking any hotel reservations and try to get as many people as possible to leave.

These are real people working at these hotels, and they would like to be taking care of their families and not some tourist that's going to be whining because their stay wasn't "magical enough".

People really do think the Disney is a magical place and can't be harmed by hurricane force winds. They have so many resorts now, that there is no way they could hurricane prep all of them.  They will just have to rely on their construction methods to hold them together.

I saw one post that they were leaving Boyton Beach (Miami vicinity) and heading to Disney to be safe in their magical home.

If they wanted to be safe, they would've headed straight west or NW.  Even if the path from yesterday held Disney was still going to get some hefty winds.  It only looks worse for them with the new predictions of the storm shifting west.  Now it's going to go right towards Orlando.

There are so many posts on FB about will Disney be open on Monday. Tuesday, etc. 

Even if Disney itself isn't screwed up, a lot of the state is going to be, and the parts that aren't, are going to be dealing with the mess in the rest of the state. 

All of those traffic jams heading North will be turned into ones heading South next Tuesday/Wednesday with a lot of nervous/anxious people trying to get home to see if they still have a house/apartment to go to.

We don't need a crap load of tourists making life worse for the survivors.

And it's not just people heading to Disney, it's others going to the beach, etc, and then the vultures that want to see the devastation, and the criminal elements that are going to be preying on people that lost everything.

And, let's not forget about Jose who's following the same path at the moment.

He should be visiting in another week or so.

This was just posted a 1:00

Orlando Sentinel

Hurricane Irma closing Universal Orlando, SeaWorld, Legoland among theme parks

Hurricane Irma is shutting down Orlando’s theme parks, with Universal joining SeaWorld and Legoland announcements made Friday. Disney World is still monitoring the forecast.

Universal — Closing at 7 p.m. on Saturday. Fully closed on Sunday and Monday. On Tuesday, the park anticipates normal operating hours, it said in a statement.

SeaWorld -- SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay are currently planning to close by 5 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 9, pending further updates as we monitor the storm. Both parks will remain closed on Sunday, Sept. 10 and Monday, Sept. 11. Aquatica Orlando and Adventure Island will be closed on Saturday, Sept. 9, through Monday, Sept. 11. Discovery Cove will be closed on Sunday, Sept. 10 and Monday, Sept. 11.

Legoland  Legoland Florida Theme Park and Water Park in Polk County will be closed Saturday, September 9 through Monday, September 11. The Legoland Hotel will remain open to admit arriving guests; Legoland Beach Retreat guests will be relocated to Legoland Hotel.

Pictures: Hurricane Irma in Orlando

Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort also canceled some events, including Saturday portions of Christian music festivals. Disney has yet to announce a full park closure but is clearing out two lodging areas.

Legoland said it was encouraging guests to seek other accommodations “as we cannot guarantee resort amenities or access to electricity during severe weather.” It said guests can reschedule trips and reservations without cancellation fees, and provided the county’s information hotline for shelters, which is 863-401-2234, or www.polk-county.net.

SeaWorld’s Florida parks are also rescheduling or refunding any vacation package or individual park tickets booked through SeaWorld Vacations, Busch Gardens Vacations, DiscoveryCove.com, SeaWorld.com, BuschGardens.com. It will not apply any cancellation or change fees for this service.

SeaWorld said it has a comprehensive weather preparedness plan, and security and zoological staff will remain on property in secure locations during the storm.

“We’re also providing support and temporary housing for animals from other zoological facilities in coastal areas expected to have greater impact. Guests are encouraged to check our websites and follow our social media channels for more updates,” SeaWorld’s statement said.

Walt Disney World is closing its Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground by 2 p.m. Saturday, a spokeswoman said Thursday, as well as Treehouse Villas of Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort. Guests will have the option to stay elsewhere on property.

So far, Walt Disney World has said it is monitoring the weather but all four of its theme parks are scheduled to operate as usual. On Thursday afternoon, it announced the cancellation of the second evening of the Night of Joy event at ESPN Wide World of Sports set for Saturday and called off the Sunday edition of Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom.

Universal Orlando canceled Saturday’s portion of its two-night Rock the Universe event scheduled for this weekend, as well as a worship service Sunday, and moved today’s performances indoors. Saturday ticket holders can attend any night through Dec. 20 or get a refund.

Universal Orlando Resort is monitoring the weather, but visitors can reschedule or seek refunds, a spokesman said.

“We have an affirmative, no-questions-asked policy for guests who tell us they want to change plans or seek a refund because of a named storm involving the Orlando area or where they are traveling from,” Universal’s Tom Schroder said via email earlier this week.

Walt Disney World Resort policy allows people to reschedule or cancel their vacation packages and most room-only reservations without any fees if a hurricane warning is issued by National Hurricane Center for the Orlando area or a visitor’s residence within seven days of the traveler’s scheduled arrival, according to Disney’s website.

From WDWMagic...

Walt Disney World to begin phased closures of the theme parks from Saturday

12 minutes ago

Ahead of Hurricane Irma, Walt Disney World will begin closing its theme parks from Saturday September 9, with a view to reopening again on Tuesday September 12.

Here are the times and adjustments being made to park operations:

• Disney’s Animal Kingdom: Closing on Saturday at 7pm – Monday
    The Saturday Rivers of Light performance is canceled.

• Disney’s Hollywood Studios: Closing on Saturday at 7pm – Monday
    The Saturday Fantasmic! and Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular performances are canceled.

• Epcot: Closing on Saturday at 9pm – Monday
    The Saturday  IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth performance is canceled.

• Magic Kingdom: Closing on Saturday at 9pm – Monday
    The Saturday Happily Ever After fireworks performance is canceled.

• Disney Springs: Closing on Saturday at 9pm – Monday

• Disney’s Blizzard Beach: Closed as of Friday – Monday

• Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon: Closing Saturday 5pm – Monday

• ESPN Wide World of Sports: Closed on Saturday – Monday
  •  
  • Article Posted: Sep 08, 2017 / 2:24pm EDT

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/severe-weather-information/news/08sep2017-walt-disney-world-to-begin-phased-closures-of-the-theme-parks-from-saturday.htm

28 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Well that makes it official.

Florida is in for a heap of hurting if Disney is closing and losing tons of $$$.  You know it's gonna be bad.

Stockholders are gonna be upset!

8 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Was in the MK this morning with friends from N.C.  Got to ride the Mine train with very little wait, yay.  Very quiet in the park, felt strange.  The NC friends plan to head home oh dark early tomorrow, 4am.  Hope the roads aren't so clogged by then.

They might want to try back roads.  301 has been clear, possibly 27

The family took a mini 3 night vacation in Gatlinburg Monday-Thursday.  On our way home Thursday while heading north on 75 there was not a single time in all 250 miles I didn't see a power company truck heading south.  

The first 30 minutes or so it was kinda funny, then as we continue north and continue to see power trucks heading south it became less and less funny and more and more surreal.

Pray for all affected by this storm.

5 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Was in the MK this morning with friends from N.C.  Got to ride the Mine train with very little wait, yay.  Very quiet in the park, felt strange.  The NC friends plan to head home oh dark early tomorrow, 4am.  Hope the roads aren't so clogged by then.

Don't know where your friends live, but the latest forecast shows the storm going west of the Appalachian mountains.  Good news for us.  Hope they get home safely.  

Last year we left the Fort one day ahead of the evacuation.  Traffic was horrendous.  We went up 75 to Atlanta.  Added 100 miles to our trip home, but it kept us off 95 and 26.  If they are heading to 26 it could be a problem because coastal areas in SC are beginning evacuation.

21 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

Don't know where your friends live, but the latest forecast shows the storm going west of the Appalachian mountains.  Good news for us.  Hope they get home safely.  

Last year we left the Fort one day ahead of the evacuation.  Traffic was horrendous.  We went up 75 to Atlanta.  Added 100 miles to our trip home, but it kept us off 95 and 26.  If they are heading to 26 it could be a problem because coastal areas in SC are beginning evacuation.

Thanks Gwen, I'll send this info to them also.

7 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

When I first read this I took it as they would be reopening Monday (could just be that my brain is exhausted at this point), I was thinking they are being very optimistic. Makes me feel better after looking more online that they will be closed Sunday and Monday.

11 hours ago, Travisma said:

WHAT!!! How dare them ruining someones dream vacation!  I'm gonna sue!

Seriously, smart thinking on their part. 

If I were them I wouldn't be taking any hotel reservations and try to get as many people as possible to leave.

These are real people working at these hotels, and they would like to be taking care of their families and not some tourist that's going to be whining because their stay wasn't "magical enough".

People really do think the Disney is a magical place and can't be harmed by hurricane force winds. They have so many resorts now, that there is no way they could hurricane prep all of them.  They will just have to rely on their construction methods to hold them together.

I saw one post that they were leaving Boyton Beach (Miami vicinity) and heading to Disney to be safe in their magical home.

If they wanted to be safe, they would've headed straight west or NW.  Even if the path from yesterday held Disney was still going to get some hefty winds.  It only looks worse for them with the new predictions of the storm shifting west.  Now it's going to go right towards Orlando.

There are so many posts on FB about will Disney be open on Monday. Tuesday, etc. 

Even if Disney itself isn't screwed up, a lot of the state is going to be, and the parts that aren't, are going to be dealing with the mess in the rest of the state. 

All of those traffic jams heading North will be turned into ones heading South next Tuesday/Wednesday with a lot of nervous/anxious people trying to get home to see if they still have a house/apartment to go to.

We don't need a crap load of tourists making life worse for the survivors.

And it's not just people heading to Disney, it's others going to the beach, etc, and then the vultures that want to see the devastation, and the criminal elements that are going to be preying on people that lost everything.

And, let's not forget about Jose who's following the same path at the moment.

He should be visiting in another week or so.

We were actually there last year during hurricane Matthew, they moved us from the Fort to POR most cast members I talked to were happy to be there and they choose to be there it was a option. Most of them said they wanted the OT. And a lot of them were single with no family to take care of.

3 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

We were actually there last year during hurricane Matthew, they moved us from the Fort to POR most cast members I talked to were happy to be there and they choose to be there it was a option. Most of them said they wanted the OT. And a lot of them were single with no family to take care of.

For CMs with no one to take care of or even those with families I definitely could see being at work in a Disney resort being better than being at home. 

Does anyone know if cast members are allowed to bring their family members and or pets with them if they are working through a storm? I know the retirement community my mom works for allows family and pets, but they also require that you work unless you can get special permission otherwise. I guess if they are volunteering to work maybe they don't allow family and pets at Disney.

Just received this update in my email a little while ago. 

As an FYI from the Disney Reservation Center.

With Hurricane Irma approaching the state of Florida and keeping safety top of mind, the Disney Reservation Center will be closed Sunday, Sept. 10 and Monday, Sept. 11, with the plan of resuming operations once the storm has passed. Please note the Disney Reservation Center will operate normal business hours on Saturday, Sept. 9.

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

For CMs with no one to take care of or even those with families I definitely could see being at work in a Disney resort being better than being at home. 

Does anyone know if cast members are allowed to bring their family members and or pets with them if they are working through a storm? I know the retirement community my mom works for allows family and pets, but they also require that you work unless you can get special permission otherwise. I guess if they are volunteering to work maybe they don't allow family and pets at Disney.

Not sure about pets, but in the past cast members working during a storm and staying at the resort were allowed to bring their family.

8 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We were scheduled during Matthew. Had to run to the KOA in Tampa and then headed back across to the Fort after it passed. Due to some flooding they were not open yet. Offered us a room but we stayed in the RV in the Magic Kingdom's parking lot. Was kind of neat waking up to the train horn in the AM. After a few hours we were able to get into the Fort but several loops were closed due to flooding and cleanup.

Hoping for the best for everyone living in Florida. Based on the numbers and track I'm seeing it isn't really going to weaken and most of the state will see the N.E. quadrant.

9 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Just received this update in my email a little while ago. 

As an FYI from the Disney Reservation Center.

With Hurricane Irma approaching the state of Florida and keeping safety top of mind, the Disney Reservation Center will be closed Sunday, Sept. 10 and Monday, Sept. 11, with the plan of resuming operations once the storm has passed. Please note the Disney Reservation Center will operate normal business hours on Saturday, Sept. 9.

It seems strange to me that they don't have sites in multiple locations to handle reservations. I don't know of any company the size of Disney that wouldn't. In fact it was events like this that would have many large customers I knew to already be running on backup computer systems and ensuring workload was shifted to available call and computer centers.