I've always hated hurricanes coming through at night. Hearing all of the crashing and not knowing if it is doing any damage drives me up a wall. As far as sleeping goes I've always been a light sleeper so would be awake most of the night regardless. My youngest daughter on the other hand sleeps more soundly than a log.

Still hoping things turn out for best for everyone down there.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are a few pictures from yesterday: Entrance to the 100 and 200 loops: Newly paved road after sewer line repair: Damaged fence at Meadows Trading Post: Canal in

If anyone on here evacuates up to the northeast Alabama area you are welcome to park at my shop. We have power and a dump station available.

I finally heard from my older sister.  She made it out of Port St. Lucie and up to some family we have in NYC.  And now the great news. Friday her doctor called her and told her that she doesn't have

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, BigTom said:

Might as well get a good nights sleep, staying awake and pacing will do no good and there will be a lot of cleaning up to do the next day.

This... haha, this is my beautiful husband.  He always jokes, that if you rob our house okay... just don't wake him up.  Unfortunately for him, his wife and children don't find that too terribly funny :P

5 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I finally heard from my older sister.  She made it out of Port St. Lucie and up to some family we have in NYC.  And now the great news. Friday her doctor called her and told her that she doesn't have breast cancer as they first thought.  Tests were negative. 

Great news all around!!

2 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Got up and had a big breakfast, thinking of naps today because I doubt anyone will sleep tonight.

Good thinking!

Just saw a report that a hotel in Fort Myers full of guests was breaking out the ice cream, figuring if/when the power goes out, that'll be the first thing to go.  Hey if you're stuck in a bad situation, might as well break out the ice cream and make the best of it!

We've been watching the Weather Channel since Friday night. Thanks to all who have checked in with updates. We're thinking of you all (including those up in GA that may now have to deal with the tail end of this)  and hoping you stay safe through the nastiness to come today/tonight!!!

6 hours ago, BigTom said:

Quick update, some wind, not bad, raining off and on. Storm is still well south of us. Tornado warning for north of Fort Meade, I live just south of Fort Meade, call Fort Meade home town.  No damage, we are prepared and just waiting. Tom

Thanks for posting.  Praying that you and your family stay safe....

Wind and rain picking up, rain is blowing sideways now, no trees in our yard, lost them in Charlie in 2004, but 2 big trees have split in our church yard. Still have electricity but expect to have to fire up power unit soon. Will keep updating as long as possible, would like to hear from someone on the coast area.

Just talked to my aunt in Brandon, about 11 miles east of Tampa.  She's in a nursing home there.  Totally unconcerned about the hurricane.  (She's lived through a lot of hurricanes, both on the NC coast and in FL.)  My cousin and his family live in Brandon too and are also going to ride it out at home.  

Praying for safety for all my family, fiends, and friends in Florida!

We made it through safely, Lost at least one barn, last oak tree in yard, it withstood Donna in 1960 and was a big tree. Some water intrusion damage, a few shingles of roof, but we are all well and safe,  have a generator going so have power and water. Wind was over 100 mph about midnight last night. Haven't been out to check grove, but know I lost most of my crop and probably some trees. Need to do a lot of clean up now.

Glad y'all are alright BigTom 

We made it through here in Bradenton, we were very lucky! Some fence down, branches in the yard, a few shingles in the yard but not sure if they are ours yet or not. Amazingly we only lost power for about 30 mins last night. When I looked at the FPL website it says out of 184,900 customers in Manatee county 122,640 lost power with 109,309 still without.  When it's safe to get out on the road we will go check my aunt and cousins houses. 

We are still praying for all those effected and still in the path of Irma. Even though she's loosing strength still a dangerous storm. 

56 minutes ago, BigTom said:

We made it through safely, Lost at least one barn, last oak tree in yard, it withstood Donna in 1960 and was a big tree. Some water intrusion damage, a few shingles of roof, but we are all well and safe,  have a generator going so have power and water. Wind was over 100 mph about midnight last night. Haven't been out to check grove, but know I lost most of my crop and probably some trees. Need to do a lot of clean up now.

Glad y'all made it through safely  

Sorry to hear about the crops. Hopefully it won't be as bad as you expected to be.

30 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

We made it through here in Bradenton, we were very lucky! Some fence down, branches in the yard, a few shingles in the yard but not sure if they are ours yet or not. Amazingly we only lost power for about 30 mins last night. When I looked at the FPL website it says out of 184,900 customers in Manatee county 122,640 lost power with 109,309 still without.  When it's safe to get out on the road we will go check my aunt and cousins houses. 

We are still praying for all those effected and still in the path of Irma. Even though she's loosing strength still a dangerous storm. 

Derek, I'm glad y'all are OK. And I hope everyone else made out as well as you did last night. 

1 hour ago, BigTom said:

So happy to hear that you're safe.  So, so sorry about the crops... that must be heartbreaking.  I agree with Ray, hopefully it's not as bad as you're thinking.  Praying for you.

33 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

So thankful that you're safe Derek!  Praising God for the reduction in Irma; continuing to pray as she travels and for those who were hit.

Very glad to hear people checking in safe.  I can't imagine the damage and clean up you have ahead, but hoping as you're able to get out and assess that it's not too terrible.

Everyone there that I've touched base with this morning said it was one heck of a ride overnight!!

I've got family in Plant City and there's a LOT of water there, but they all made it through ok with thankfully no major damage to their homes.

Thrill's family seemed to have weathered it well in South Florida.  They checked in again with us this morning and said they were about to venture out and see what might need to be mopped up or cleaned.  Here in Macon, GA, we are just getting started with our bit of fun.  The winds started picking up about 8:00 this morning.  So far we have just lost some limbs.  The heavier stuff is expected this afternoon.  I am concerned about all the super tall pine and oak trees surrounding our house.  They just aren't used to tropical storm strength.  Hoping the storm continues to weaken.

We are continuing to pray for all those who have lost so much in the storm.  Stay safe.

2 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

TCD and family are good. I was able to text him this morning.

Good to hear that fiends have ridden Irma out in relative safety.

Buddy of mine is a firefighter in Clearwater, said the damage wasn't as bad as expected but was still a mess. flooding, wind debris, etc.. They resumed responses around 5 AM this morning, I believe.

Preliminarily, internet postings I've seen from WDW show an awful lot of trees down and wind debris, some minor damage, but obviously that's centered around some of the larger resorts where people have been able to shoot through windows or walk around a bit. AK reportedly has a lot of tree damage, but I suspect it will be a few days before we see the true extent of the storm impact. Hopefully it will not be too bad, Disney is a huge employer and a big industry for the area so vacations ruined aside, business is business.

3 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

TCD and family are good. I was able to text him this morning.

That's great news.  Thanks for the update!

2 hours ago, geoffdaddy said:

Bracing for Fort pics.

Saw an update from my cousin in Ocoee (they live right next to Lake Apopka). Sounds like they weathered the storm fairly well, with the exception of a few downed trees in the common areas around their house and the solar water heater on their roof.

I too, am curious how The Fort weathered the storm.  I hope it didn't take down too many trees.   

33 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

Good to hear that fiends have ridden Irma out in relative safety.

Buddy of mine is a firefighter in Clearwater, said the damage wasn't as bad as expected but was still a mess. flooding, wind debris, etc.. They resumed responses around 5 AM this morning, I believe.

Preliminarily, internet postings I've seen from WDW show an awful lot of trees down and wind debris, some minor damage, but obviously that's centered around some of the larger resorts where people have been able to shoot through windows or walk around a bit. AK reportedly has a lot of tree damage, but I suspect it will be a few days before we see the true extent of the storm impact. Hopefully it will not be too bad, Disney is a huge employer and a big industry for the area so vacations ruined aside, business is business.

We have reports from some friends in Port Charlotte; they are all good.  The impact in that area seems to be pretty minimal.  Praise God.

5 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Just saw a FB post that Disney has lifted the resort curfew and guests are free to roam around, but cautioned them to be wary of their surroundings as there is lots of debris scattered around and more than a few trees down.

That's good to hear.