Checking in and glad to report we are all OK.  Because we live in a mobile home we weathered Irma at the Wyndham hotel.

Lots of debris in yards, one screen room lost by a neighbor and roof damage top another.

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts about everyone in the path of these big scary storms.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are a few pictures from yesterday: Entrance to the 100 and 200 loops: Newly paved road after sewer line repair: Damaged fence at Meadows Trading Post: Canal in

If anyone on here evacuates up to the northeast Alabama area you are welcome to park at my shop. We have power and a dump station available.

I finally heard from my older sister.  She made it out of Port St. Lucie and up to some family we have in NYC.  And now the great news. Friday her doctor called her and told her that she doesn't have

Posted Images

1 hour ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I've seen posts from them on FB.  All are okay.  I think TJ and Missy are still without power.

As of about 12 hours ago they still didn't have power, but they do have a generator and TJ said their house wasn't flooded, although much of their neighborhood and the surrounding roads were.

So glad to hear folks here made it through ok.  I know the cleanup is only beginning and I hope it goes as quickly and smoothly as it can for y'all.

I still haven't seen any first hand reports from the Fort, but Disney did release this last evening...
"Fort Wilderness Campground will remain closed at this time while assessments to the property are completed"

Also HDDR and Mickey's BYBBQ are cancelled today.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/hurricane-irma-info/?CMP=ILC-DPFY17Q4wo0907170913170020E

And this morning I just saw this...

The Magic Kingdom has reopened today following two days of closure for Hurricane Irma.

Whilst the majority of the park is in good shape, the high winds caused considerable damage to the Jungle Cruise landscaping, and more time is needed to get the ride ready for guests.

The schedule currently shows the ride closed through September 17, with a reopening to guests on September 18 2017, but this may change.

Discuss on the Forums

Article Posted: Sep 12, 2017 / 8:31am EDT

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/jungle-cruise/news/12sep2017-jungle-cruise-to-remain-closed-for-cleanup-following-hurricane-irma.htm

From WDWNT, few more attractions are closed...

Although the four Walt Disney World theme parks are reopening today, several attractions remained closed when the parks opened.

Magic Kingdom (Opened at 8 am 9/12/17):

• Walt Disney World Railroad
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – Reopened at 9:10 am 9/12/17
  • Tom Sawyer Island

Animal Kingdom (Opened at 8 am 9/12/17):

• Kali River Rapids

It is not yet known how long they will remain closed, although cast members at Jungle Cruise are saying it could be up to a week.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/09/breaking-several-walt-disney-world-attractions-remain-closed-thanks-hurricane-irma/

There was an article I saw about what Irma is costing WDW

Cost of the Shut Down

John Janedis, an analyst at Jefferies, told Business Insider Disney World generates about $30 million in revenue each day. (that's a lot of Mickey Bars!) Closing for a day and a half for Hurricane Matthew cost the company about $40 million, according to Janedis.

He estimated that the shut down for Irma could cost Disney up to $90 million in lost revenue, not including any damages caused by the storm.

“During this time of the year, particularly with the Halloween events going on, literally millions of dollars can be lost,” Dennis Speigel, president of the International Theme Park Services consulting firm, told the Orlando Sentinel last year about the threat of hurricanes.

According to industry group Themed Entertainment Association’s annual report, more than 20 million people visited Disney World in 2016 and the resort employs 73,000 people.

Just ran across this on TMSM but haven't been able to confirm it yet with any official info...

The dinner shows at Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds are also closed through Friday. Reservations have been cancelled and refunds will be issued where applicable.

The Treehouses at Saratoga Springs are still closed and will reopen on September 14th.

http://www.themainstreetmouse.com/2017/09/12/disney-updates-closures-due-hurricaneirma/

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

There was an article I saw about what Irma is costing WDW...

Interesting! And that's just revenue.  I'd imagine there's an "all hands on deck" happening now as far as staffing goes to get things cleaned up/repaired - so an added cost there too I'd imagine.

1 hour ago, PGHFiend said:

Glad all of the fiends weathered the storm ok!

As far as the Disney revenue, doing the math at 30 million a day, they lost 1.2 percent of their annual revenue. That's like most of us losing $1,000. 

Hah!  Yeah, that puts things in perspective a bit.  Mind you, $1000 is a lot of $$ for most people, but it's not like it's going to put a major dent in their bottom line.

Although I wonder what all this will do for attendance in the next few weeks/months.  I'd imagine if there's a significant enough impact there (right now just getting to WDW would be difficult for some folks), if we'll see some discounts popping up to try and offset them?

I can only imagine the hardship WDW being opened is causing many of their cms. All area schools are closed so even childcare could be an issue for many,  much less the face they may be facing damages and no power at home. I guess I sound mean,  but purple do not need to be clogging the roadways and using gas when people are trying to return home. Many big businesses are trying to help,  even the 7 eleven were giving out free water before the storm.  What has Disney done to help? Maybe I missed something? 

Below is a text I just received from Florida Power and Light.

"FPL Alert: Avoid fallen power lines & standing water after Irma. We expect to restore the West Coast area by end of day, Sept. 22, except for areas impacted by tornadoes and severe flooding. Use FPL.com for updates. To continue to receive a daily storm restoration text alert, update your info at FPL.com/preferences"

30 minutes ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

I can only imagine the hardship WDW being opened is causing many of their cms. All area schools are closed so even childcare could be an issue for many,  much less the face they may be facing damages and no power at home. I guess I sound mean,  but purple do not need to be clogging the roadways and using gas when people are trying to return home. Many big businesses are trying to help,  even the 7 eleven were giving out free water before the storm.  What has Disney done to help? Maybe I missed something? 

7-11 is giving out free water, because numerous ones in the Tampa area (and maybe elsewhere ) pulled a Houston Best Buy and were charging outrageous prices for cases of bottled water. It was plastered all over the Tampa media and our AG Pam Bondi got upset!

They are trying to counter all of the negative publicity.

Schools are going to be a major issue.  Many were being used for shelters, and some still are.  Many are in flooded areas, or don't have power, or have damage.  Hillsborough Countys are supposed to open Thursday, but they are now "re-evaluating" that idea and may wait until Monday. How can you open some schools, but not others if there are numerous ones that have issues?

Some people are upset because of the above reasons plus evacuees (students, teachers, support staff, bus drivers, etc) are having a hard time getting back home, or are trying to get their homes in order from damages.  Or trying to find fuel or food.

On the other hand some working parents want the kids back in school because they are missing work staying home, or scrambling to find other places to leave their kids.

And you are not mean.  People that live here and numerous first responders/contractors need the fuel, food and electricity before someone coming down for a vacation.

I'm sorry that someones magical trip to WDW or  mundane one to the beach or Universal may be cancelled, but that's life.

39 minutes ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

Disney is taking care of the many international guests that don't have a way to get home yet, due to the airports being down.   Disney opened their resorts to their CM's families, including their pets ( and all of WDW resorts are NO pet zones, except for the fort), so that they could continue to work and get paid during this storm.   Many people who evacuated or who are sitting in shelters had to do so with no pay from their employers, and some may even lose their jobs over this.  By concentrating on getting everything running again,  Disney starts up the economy of their area, which is substantial.   If they are giving visitors a place to spend their money, instead of leaving the state to go home,  Disney can pay their employees,  who then will go out and purchase goods and services to rebuild their homes, and maybe even donate to others less fortunate.   Disney is the juggernaut of that area.   Orlando runs on tourism quite a bit.   By getting back to normal as quickly as possible,  Disney helps Orlando, and the ripples flow outward from there.

6 minutes ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Glad all you Fiends are OK! 

I was scheduled to be at the Fort this week through the 6th of October.  Last week I cancelled week one.  I just asked my travel agent, who spent almost 6 hours on the phone with Disney mostly on hold, and she asked the question for me. "When might Fort Wilderness be available?"  I would take this as unofficial but she told me the campground was not expected to open until the 23rd.  I imagine that Disney will do everything it can to restore the campground as quickly as possible.

Just got this email from Disney

"We have an important update about your upcoming reservation at The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

For the safety of our Guests and Cast Members, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed until further notice as we recover from Hurricane Irma.

If you wish to relocate to another Walt Disney World® Resort hotel or reschedule your trip, please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can assist you by calling the Disney Reservation Center at 407-W-DISNEY.

We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to reassure you that any customary cancellation fees will be waived.

Thank you for your understanding and flexibility.

Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC"
2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Schools are going to be a major issue.

Even if the schools physically have the ability to open it doesn't mean they can get the kids there. Our school system determines its closures largely on the basis of how many of the bus routes can be run. If they can't run all of the routes for all schools they stay closed to ensure everyone gets the same number of education days. 

3 hours ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

Your not being mean at all.  I worry about the families that live paycheck to paycheck.   The waitress that works for tips.  The maid at the holiday inn that won't have work if the rooms are vacant, etc.

im sure they want to be at home cleaning up the yard and fixing the fence  but they don't have the money because they can't work.  

It's a catch 22. If guests don't come to the resorts, parks, outlet malls, and restaurants the locals can't work.    

No work no pay.  

Its going a fine balancing act between the "locals" needs and need for "locals" to work to meet those needs.

Some Interesting numbers and facts  

"Tourism generated nearly $31.7 billion in domestic and international visitor spending in 2011.  

Directly generating $7 billion in local and state tax revenue"

"Each Orange County household would have to pay an additional $6,000/ year in taxes without revenue generated by the travel and tourism industry."

"Travel and tourism in Orlando employs nearly 370,000 directly and indirectly."

"1 out of every 3 jobs in Orlando is travel and tourism related."

3 hours ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

Wow..so sounds like it may be (at least) two weeks before The Fort opens?!   Wow...that makes me sad.  I wonder how much damage was done?!

Thankful the storm wasn't as bad as anticipated overall, but still...she left a huge mess.

18 minutes ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

So happy to hear so many fiends are okay!

Talked to my daughter today.  She and her family live in Amicalola Falls State Park in northwest Georgia.  She said the park looks like a war zone now.  But thankfully no one was hurt.

That's mostly what I'm hearing - people made it through ok (thankfully) but there's a LOT of cleanup to do.

Gotta say this one made me chuckle though...

21762094_1612205298819048_49637033341372

Page Liked · 1 hr 
A billboard blew apart by Disney World and look what was underneath! I wonder how long ago this was put up? 1f60a.png? M
www.themainstreetmouse.com 
Instagram at themainstreetmouse

image.png

Still nothing official on a reopen date for the Fort, but the Disney site has updated this one blurb...

"To allow Disney's Fort Wilderness to prepare the property after Hurricane Irma, all shows at The Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue and Mickey's Backyard BBQ will be canceled up to and including Sunday, September 17. Any existing reservations will be automatically cancelled and refunded"

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/hurricane-irma-info/?CMP=ILC-DPFY17Q4wo0907170913170020E

6 hours ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

Looks like Disney is stepping up financially. This just came out about a half hour ago. I hadn't heard anything about what they did during the storm (bolded in purple) until now.

Walt Disney Company Commits $2.5 Million To Hurricane Irma Recovery Efforts

Thomas Smith

by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

Just moments ago, The Walt Disney Company announced a commitment of $2.5 million to aid those impacted by Hurricane Irma. The funds will help the response and recovery efforts of the American Red Cross, UNICEF, Save the Children, and other nonprofits.

“As millions of people now face the daunting challenge of putting their lives and communities back together in the wake of these historic hurricanes, they need our help,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. “We’re donating $2.5 million to support relief and recovery efforts in response to Hurricane Irma. This is in addition to nearly $16 million we raised after Hurricane Harvey to help ensure storm victims have the support needed to recover and rebuild.”

In addition, eligible Disney employee donations to qualified organizations involved in the Hurricane Irma relief effort will be matched dollar for dollar by Disney Employee Matching Gifts: A Program of The Walt Disney Company Foundation.

During Hurricane Irma, Walt Disney World and the Disney Cruise Line donated meals, provided storage for supplies and power-utility vehicles, donated bedding to shelters, and made rooms available for first responders. Disney will also be donating goods and services throughout the region as other needs are identified.

Our thoughts and prayers remain with those affected by the storm.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/09/walt-disney-company-commits-2-5-million-to-hurricane-irma-recovery-efforts/?CMP=SOC-DPFY17Q4wo090620170004G

56 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Looks like Disney is stepping up financially. This just came out about a half hour ago. I hadn't heard anything about what they did during the storm (bolded in purple) until now.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/09/walt-disney-company-commits-2-5-million-to-hurricane-irma-recovery-efforts/?CMP=SOC-DPFY17Q4wo090620170004G

They have also been asking CM to volunt"ear" to help with cleanup, along with sorting and packaging food, clothing and cleaning supplies at various charities around Orlando.

The EPCOT parking lot was used as a staging area for utility crews as well.

5 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

That makes me feel better about them!  

I do get the money side also.  I just know it has been crazy for people trying to get home.  Even the two lane road that goes through my hometown has been bumper to bumper for miles moving at a snail's pace. I10 and highway 90 have been the same.  I can only imagine 75 and 95.