• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are a few pictures from yesterday: Entrance to the 100 and 200 loops: Newly paved road after sewer line repair: Damaged fence at Meadows Trading Post: Canal in

If anyone on here evacuates up to the northeast Alabama area you are welcome to park at my shop. We have power and a dump station available.

I finally heard from my older sister.  She made it out of Port St. Lucie and up to some family we have in NYC.  And now the great news. Friday her doctor called her and told her that she doesn't have

Posted Images

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

800!loop is closed but 700 is open. Looked like 1100 is open but that is as far as we went.

Thank you for (all) the updates!!  Appreciate your eyes on "the scene" :P

We're heading down, two weeks from tomorrow ^_^

38 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

It isn't very full. The loops that were open look to be about 50-70% filled.

That wouldn't surprise me after being closed and folks cancelling stays. Add to it that it is the middle of the week. The real test will be the next weekend or two when the Fort is usually full.

If you like Florida orange juice, you might better stock up.  I just read an article stating 70% of Florida crop was lost and combined with the diseases problems we are having, might be the end of Florida's orange crops. This affects more than growers, a lot of processing plants have already closed and with no oranges the rest will as well as truckers, equipment dealers, mechanics, and it trickles on down , even cow feed  is made from oranges.  This will affect a lot of people besides the farmer.

1 minute ago, BigTom said:

If you like Florida orange juice, you might better stock up.  I just read an article stating 70% of Florida crop was lost and combined with the diseases problems we are having, might be the end of Florida's orange crops. This affects more than growers, a lot of processing plants have already closed and with no oranges the rest will as well as truckers, equipment dealers, mechanics, and it trickles on down , even cow feed  is made from oranges.  This will affect a lot of people besides the farmer.

FL has been losing their orange groves at an accelerated rate over the last few years.

It's sad driving down back country roads that used to have miles of productive groves on either side, and now see either subdivisions or withered dead trees.

But hey we can always get our OJ from Brazil! 

Another American commodity outsourced!

Who needs those dirty smelly factory workers and truckers.  Everyone needs college degree.  Just ask the Humanities Major that  served you  your $8 Starbucks coffee!

Here are a few pictures from yesterday:

Entrance to the 100 and 200 loops:

PRXKVTSl.jpg

Newly paved road after sewer line repair:

7pF1339l.jpg

Damaged fence at Meadows Trading Post:

pN4zeJvl.jpg

Canal in 500 loop:

6MGZUrDl.jpg

View of Meadows Trading Post:

u0b3O4Sl.jpg

Ongoing debris removal along road:

Ylj7FDkl.jpg

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

FL has been losing their orange groves at an accelerated rate over the last few years.

It's sad driving down back country roads that used to have miles of productive groves on either side, and now see either subdivisions or withered dead trees.

Who needs those dirty smelly factory workers and truckers.  Everyone needs college degree.  Just ask the Humanities Major that  served you  your $8 Starbucks coffee!

Aw, who cares?  They can use that land to build more condos and McMansions.

What about drainage?

What about the burden on the inadequate infrastructure?

Who cares?  Think of the property taxes those new suckers Florida residents will be paying!

Everybody wins!

TCD

59 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Honest question because I really don't know -- can you explain the connection here.  Are orange groves closing because they can't find workers because everyone thinks they need a college degree?   I used to love seeing orange groves when visiting Florida as a kid. That makes me sad. 

Just now, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for taking the time to take and post the photos.

All things considered, the Fort looks pretty good.

TCD

You're welcome.  I agree, the Fort looks good.  From what I could see, even the closed loops look good; I think it is just a matter of time for crews to get through there and ensure all of the suspect trees are cleared.

6 minutes ago, Seals said:

Honest question because I really don't know -- can you explain the connection here.  Are orange groves closing because they can't find workers because everyone thinks they need a college degree?   I used to love seeing orange groves when visiting Florida as a kid. That makes me sad. 

in the 22 years I've lived in Florida I've seen a big reduction in citrus groves.  A friend of mine who has a small grove says it is a constant battle with disease (citrus greening, citrus canker).  The weather is also a negative factor.  In the Disney area, freezes have decimated the groves, especially the big freeze in the late 80's.  The storm damage adds to the problem.  Add to that competition from Brazil and that further lowers the price.

16 hours ago, djsamuel said:

I have some pictures I will post if I get the chance. They don't show much as things look pretty good. I was posting as I was walking so if there are any spelling errors, that's why. ?

It isn't very full. The loops that were open look to be about 50-70% filled.

Thanks so much for all the updates, Doug!!  Fiends on the Scene are the best. 

16 hours ago, djsamuel said:

All should be fine by then. Even the road construction should be open. We check in mid October.

Great news.  If you're around any time in November, we should be in the 300 loop.  :)

1 hour ago, BigTom said:

I was just thinking about that. Reconstruction and clean up aside, the FL economy is going to take a big hit in general from this storm. :(

34 minutes ago, Seals said:

Like djSamuel already posted.

Competition from other countries.

Owners families don't want to continue in the business so they sell to developers.

Greening has been especially bad in decimating groves. If one or 2 trees are found to have it, the state Dept of Ag. will have the entire grove destroyed.

One of the Universities has made a couple of inroads into treating the disease that looks promising.

Just like Disney, it's all about the bottom line $$$.

38 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

in the 22 years I've lived in Florida I've seen a big reduction in citrus groves.  A friend of mine who has a small grove says it is a constant battle with disease (citrus greening, citrus canker).  The weather is also a negative factor.  In the Disney area, freezes have decimated the groves, especially the big freeze in the late 80's.  The storm damage adds to the problem.  Add to that competition from Brazil and that further lowers the price.

My county used to have huge groves and even cattle operations.  But, land is expensive.  Farming is hard.  It's hard for farmers to hang on, and when developers show up with suitcases full of cash, it's a no brainer to let the old grove go.  I think the last operating grove is a huge car dealership now.  And this once agrarian county is now the most densely populated county in Florida.  And, it's a peninsula.  God help us if there is ever a real need to evacuate for a storm.

Progress.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Aw, who cares?  They can use that land to build more condos and McMansions.

What about drainage?

What about the burden on the inadequate infrastructure?

Who cares?  Think of the property taxes those new suckers Florida residents will be paying!

Everybody wins!

TCD

That's what happened in many areas of SoCal although years earlier. Throughout the 70's and early 80's we would drive from Orange County (they lost their oranges in the 50's and 60's) to head up to Idyllwild in the San Jacinto Mountains for weekend get aways. Once we were through Corona about all you would see were orange groves and farms unit you hit the mountains. Today other than the California Citrus State Historic Park all you see are subdivisions and cars.