34 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Two of the TCD girls were out of town this past weekend, but Twin #2 was in town, and had a rare Friday night off, so we made a plan to meet up at Epcot on Friday night to hit up some Food and Wine kiosks.  It wasn't a great plan because there was a MNSSHP at the MK, and that normally would mean that Epcot would be super crowded.  But, we lucked out and it stormed early in the evening, and the park cleared out.

We put on ponchos, and braved the rain, and enjoyed cooler weather and no lines at the food boots.  Because it was raining pretty good, and we were in ponchos, I kept my phone put away.  It was raining enough that it would have been a bad idea to have the phone out for photos.  So, sorry, but no food photos.

We began at the Flavors from Fire booth. We tried the Piggy Wings and the Smoked Corned Beef.  The Piggy Wings were great- a serving has two "wings," which are actually a  small piece of pork shank. There was a lot of meat on each, and the Korean BBQ sauce was very good.  The Smoked Corned Beef did not have a smoke taste at all, and was overwhelmingly salty.  I haven't seen any other complaints about salt on this dish, so we must have had a bad batch.  We did not try the Sweet Pancake- but I'll be back on another day to try that.  I would have the Piggy Wings again, but I will pass on the Smoked Corned Beef based upon what we were served that night.

Next, we headed over to the collection of booths that sit on the space where they set-up the butterfly garden during the Flower and Garden Festivals. These booths are all new this year- they're called Earth Eats, Active Eats and Coastal Eats.  It was still raining, and only a few folks were around this area.  From Earth Eats, we tried the Grilled Beef Skewer.  This ended up being really good.  The beef was covered with an unidentified sauce that had hints of teriyaki and ginger, but is not identified in the official description.  The sauce is good, whatever it is. The surprise with this dish is that it was served on a bed of romaine lettuce, dried apricots and feta cheese tossed in a vinaigrette dressing. The salad was really good and a welcome addition.   I would definitely have the grilled beef skewer again.  From Active Eats, we tried the Loaded Mac 'n' Cheese.  This was basic macaroni and cheese- the bacon was supposedly Nueske's Pepper Bacon, whatever that is, but it seemed like finely ground Bac-O's to me.  It was OK, but I wouldn't bother with this dish again.  I wanted to try something from Coastal Eats, but there was a longish line at this booth- in the rain- which meant that either it's really good or really inefficient.  Either way, we passed.  I'll hit it next time.

Next, we headed down the path toward the World Showcase.  There are some new booths along here this year.  The first one we stopped at was The Cheese Studio.  The first dish they offer here is called Braised Beef "Stroganoff."  We asked the CM why stroganoff was in quotation marks. She said she didn't know.  If she didn't know, we didn't want to find out something the hard way, so we passed on that and went with the Cheese Trio.  We didn't read the description of this, and were surprised by what we were served- it was a tray with three things on it that looked more like pastries than cheese.  Twin #2 actually went back to look at the description on the sign so we could figure out what we were about to eat.  The first item is described as a profiterole, which is like a cream puff.  The second item was a smoked salmon pinwheel, and the third was a strawberry macaron with Boursin pepper cheese.  All three were weird surprises.  Twin #2 balked at taking more than a little nibble of each.  I had to finish them off.  None of the items were bad, but the flavor of Boursin cheese dominated each item.  Come to find out that this booth is sponsored by the Boursin cheese company.  So I imagine that is what the beef stroganoff is made out of.  I am going to go back to try the beef stroganoff, but I'll pass on the Cheese Trio.

Next, we tried the Wine & Dine Studio.  It also offered a cheese dish- this one called the Trio of Artisan Cheeses.  The dish was a tray of three different cheese portions along with a small slice of toasted bread for each.  It was a lot of cheese.  One of the cheeses was bleu cheese, and Twin #2 wanted none of that.  Overall, this cheese tray was fine, and a much better choice than the Cheese Trio from the Cheese Studio.  I'd have this Trio of Artisan cheeses again.

We skipped the Islands of the Caribbean booth, but I plan to stop there next time for the Mojo Pork.

Our next stop was Canada, where we both got a serving of the  "Le Cellier" Wild Mushroom Beef Filet.  This was the first time I can remember ever being able to walk right up to the cashier and ordering at Canada with no wait.  We proceeded to the next CM, and were immediately handed our filets.  They had a bunch pre-cooked and ready to hand over.  This was also a first.  We normally have had to wait for our filets here.  It turns out the prompt service came with a price- our steaks were room temperature.  Normally, this steak is my favorite thing to eat at the Food and Wine Festival-but mine wasn't that good.  Oh well, they were obviously prepared for a big crowd, and stuff was sitting out for longer than they anticipated because of the bad weather.

The good news for us is that the rain let up, and we were able to ditch the ponchos.

From here, we skipped the UK booths and went right to France.  Here, we got Twin #2's favorite drink from the Food and Wine Festival- the La Passion Martini Slush- If you like the Grand Mariner slush from France, then you'll like this drink.  It's very good.  I think we end up getting at least one each time we visit the Food and Wine Festival.

With the rain stopping, there were many more folks out and about in this stretch of the World Showcase, but it was still very uncrowded.  We stopped at a table near Japan to enjoy our drinks.  We could hear the band 38 Special performing at the theater across from the American Adventure pavilion, and I got to hear them close with their big hit "Hold on Loosely."  That was a big song when I was in college, and it was kind of neat standing there with my daughter who is now the age that I was then, listening to that song.  Of course, she had never heard of the band or the song.  But, it was still a cool moment for me.

At this point, we were both satisfied, and Twin #2 said she was done eating and drinking for the night.  We headed around the World Showcase, and I was kind of sad that we couldn't stop at more booths because they were so uncrowded.  We did stop at Germany so I could get a Roast Bratwurst in a Pretzel Roll.  Both the bratwurst and roll were smaller than I remembered from years past, but they were both very good, and I wasn't that hungry, so no complaints from me.  Sometimes the pretzel rolls have been stale, but mine wasn't.

That bratwurst ended up being the last item we had on this quick trip.  We had planned on staying for Illuminations, but we got through all of the booths so quickly that we would have had to wait, and Twin #2 was planning on coming back on Sunday for the 35th anniversary stuff, so we decided to beat the crowds out, and left.

At this point, I've enjoyed two quick visits to the Food and Wine Festival.  My impressions this year are that the booths are more efficient and that the food portions are more generous.  There are also a lot more new items this year than there have been in the past.  That's all good.

TCD

The Braised "Beef Stroganoff" was very good, would definitely recommend it. Although I really don't get the "Beef Stroganoff" part other than it was beef served over spaetzle (tiny German egg noodles). 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We visited EPCOT Sunday over Labor Day weekend. As usual it was crowded for Food and Wine.  We went to the Festival Center to claim our passholder gift.  As seen on other sites it was one of 3 bu

All I can say is wow, we didn't have many misses in the dishes we sampled, and there were a few things we wanted to try but never made it back around to try. I'll try to make up a list later.

This thread needs photos! The TCD twins have been to the Food and Wine Festival a couple of times already, but I made my first brief visit a couple of days ago.  It was just a quick pre-game befo

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

We put on ponchos, and braved the rain, and enjoyed cooler weather and no lines at the food boots. 

Brilliant!!  Thanks for the reviews - you're helping us fine tune our list.  :)

At this point, I've enjoyed two quick visits to the Food and Wine Festival.  My impressions this year are that the booths are more efficient and that the food portions are more generous.  There are also a lot more new items this year than there have been in the past.  That's all good.

Good to hear!

34 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

The Braised "Beef Stroganoff" was very good, would definitely recommend it. Although I really don't get the "Beef Stroganoff" part other than it was beef served over spaetzle (tiny German egg noodles). 

Hmm... maybe that's the reason for the quotation marks.  Although I do love some good spaetzle.  

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I am going to give the "stroganoff" a try.  I like spaetzle.

28 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Brilliant!!  Thanks for the reviews - you're helping us fine tune our list.  :)

Good to hear!

Hmm... maybe that's the reason for the quotation marks.  Although I do love some good spaetzle.  

I think what is going on with the quotation marks is that this dish is being served by a booth called the Cheese Studio.  And it's sponsored by Boursin Cheese.  I am guessing that the sauce is made of Boursin cheese instead of cream/sour cream like a traditional stroganoff.

TCD

On 9/29/2017 at 2:32 PM, shoreline99 said:

Also, skip the dole whip w/ rum; wait and get the Spiky Pineapple at Trader Sam's instead, or get the 'Extra Spiky' version with the 151 floater...

I may have to pass on my traditional Lapu Lapu to try this!

13 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Ooh... I may have to join you.  :)

15 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

I "almost" had one of those at our last stop at the Poly before heading home.... but Rick wanted me to drive the first leg home.... so I had plain float instead :(

15 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Wait. You're supposed to have the Lapu Lapu for me on 11/7.  Ah what the heck the Spiky Pineapple works for me too. I think you should wear a "I'm celebrating" pin. On it you could put "Yvonne's birthday. 

9 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Wait. You're supposed to have the Lapu Lapu for me on 11/7.  Ah what the heck the Spiky Pineapple works for me too. I think you should wear a "I'm celebrating" pin. On it you could put "Yvonne's birthday. 

I have added this to my spread sheet!

10 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

We'll have both!!  And I LOVE the button idea.  :D

1 hour ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

I have added this to my spread sheet!

HUZZAH!!

22 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

The filet and cheese soup from Canada were on point tonight, as was the braised beef from Belgium, brisket from the America booth or whatever it's called and the hummus fries from Morocco were good. The cheese and bread from Ireland was an acquired taste. 

We have only been gone a week but this post about the food makes me ready to go back. Man Canada was good. 

On 10/13/2017 at 9:27 PM, ImDownWithDisney said:

The filet and cheese soup from Canada were on point tonight, as was the braised beef from Belgium, brisket from the America booth or whatever it's called and the hummus fries from Morocco were good. The cheese and bread from Ireland was an acquired taste. 

Good to know, thanks!!  Updating the list.  :)

If you know a Disney Castmember, you may want to invite him or her along, because Disney just announced that CM's will get a 20% discount at the Food and Wine booths through November 11!: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/10/cast-member-now-get-20-off-food-non-alcoholic-beverages-epcot-food-wine-festival-2017/

Fingers crossed that the AP announcement will follow.

TCD

If you know a Disney Castmember, you may want to invite him or her along, because Disney just announced that CM's will get a 20% discount at the Food and Wine booths through November 11!: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/10/cast-member-now-get-20-off-food-non-alcoholic-beverages-epcot-food-wine-festival-2017/

TCD

Wow - have they ever done that before??

AP discount would be A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

18 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

That Blog post has been corrected to state that the CM discount is only good Monday through Friday, and there is a specific list of food booths it applies to:

food%20and%20wine%20discount_zpsrbcomqwo

Without trying to hard, I read the list to see if I could figure out what booths are excluded- I don't see France, Japan or Morocco on the list.  I wonder why it applies to some and not others?

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That Blog post has been corrected to state that the CM discount is only good Monday through Friday...

Without trying to hard, I read the list to see if I could figure out what booths are excluded- I don't see France, Japan or Morocco on the list.  I wonder why it applies to some and not others?

TCD

The Mon-Fri thing makes sense.  No need to draw more people on the weekends. And heck, I'll be thrilled if they do something similar for AP during the week.

Certain booths and not others is interesting though.  I could understand if they excluded the most popular booths, but I've never seen Japan or Morocco particularly busy.

21 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

The Mon-Fri thing makes sense.  No need to draw more people on the weekends. And heck, I'll be thrilled if they do something similar for AP during the week.

Certain booths and not others is interesting though.  I could understand if they excluded the most popular booths, but I've never seen Japan or Morocco particularly busy.

I wonder if the countries need to agree to the discount.

22 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

1 hour ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I wonder if the countries need to agree to the discount.

I misstated Monday through Friday. The CM discount is only good Monday through Thursday. 

Regarding the booths not offering the discount, it's interesting that the ones I noted are all along a stretch that has the worst congestion when it's crowded. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

TCD