Help! Supposed to arrive Friday!

I would say traffic is going to be slow, a lot of people left and I think those that can will wait till utilities are back up before they return home. So will probably trickle in through the week. 

We are supposed to check in Thursday, but we are south of the Fort so shouldn't be to bad getting there if they have all the major roads cleared which I'm sure they do or will. Fuel will be the main factor. 

Oh I'll also add drive safe!  It's seemed like everyone is in a daze and has no idea what's happening around them. Saw so many people just fly through stop lights that were out today, or looking at damage and not paying attention to the roads. I was honestly glad to get back home and stay here. 

There are numerous traffic lights out.  What makes it hard is that one block the lights will be working, the next block they will be on, then the next off.

And of course only about 25% of the drivers are following the rules of the road and treating the dead lights as a 4 way stop.

It was a trip driving up 192 with a mixture of tourists and impatient locals.

26 minutes ago, Travisma said:

There are numerous traffic lights out.  What makes it hard is that one block the lights will be working, the next block they will be on, then the next off.

And of course only about 25% of the drivers are following the rules of the road and treating the dead lights as a 4 way stop.

It was a trip driving up 192 with a mixture of tourists and impatient locals.

192 is bad anytime I can't imagine what it would be like without working lights.   

Through our downtown area there are 6 lights in a row one every block, one was out and the rest were working which made for a good bit of confusion.  Luckily there weren't a lot of people out on the roads earlier in the day. 

I think the roads and gas will be tight/tricky for the next week.   Whatever you do, go slow and you might want to get gas (if you can) at 1/2 tank, once you get past the Atlanta area.

Safe travels.  

I haven't heard any updates on The Fort yet, but hopefully the damage was not extensive and they're open and ready for guests today or tomorrow.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-fort-wilderness-campground/news/12sep2017-disneys-fort-wilderness-resort-and-campground-to-remain-closed-until-further-notice.htm

"

Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground is to remain closed until further notice following Hurricane Irma.

The resort closed last Saturday, and suffered considerable damage to the landscape along with uprooted trees.

Guests with existing reservations are being relocated to other accommodations within Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

Along with the continued closure of the resort, both Hoop-de-Doo Musical Revue and Mickey’s Backyard BBQ will be unavailable.

"

No official word yet on when the Fort is reopening. I'm sure it'll be as quickly as possible, but most of the damage around WDW property is tree/foliage related, and the Fort is chock full of both.

If anyone hears anything concrete, please let us know.

I've seen some reports of gas being hard to get in parts of FL still.  A friend traveled East/West across the state yesterday and it was scarce.  Also saw where I4 was pretty much a parking lot all day, although 75 was ok.  Haven't heard how things are today.

54 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-fort-wilderness-campground/news/12sep2017-disneys-fort-wilderness-resort-and-campground-to-remain-closed-until-further-notice.htm

"

Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground is to remain closed until further notice following Hurricane Irma.

The resort closed last Saturday, and suffered considerable damage to the landscape along with uprooted trees.

Guests with existing reservations are being relocated to other accommodations within Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

Along with the continued closure of the resort, both Hoop-de-Doo Musical Revue and Mickey’s Backyard BBQ will be unavailable.

"

Ugh...

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

...90 MPH winds recorded at the Contemporary, and some surrounding transformers blew.

There's video of that floating around the interwebz somewhere.

I've seen an unconfirmed report that HDDR and MBYBBQ are canceled through Friday, but again, not officially confirmed, and I don't know what that means for the Fort as a whole.

I'd imagine their priority is to gets sites cleared for Guests with reservations to come in first, and maybe they just don't need the added traffic of people coming in for the dinner shows, or those areas are scheduled to get cleaned up last.  Really hoping it doesn't mean the Fort is closed all week. :( 

So depending on who you hear it from or where you read it

There is no gas available anywhere in the state!!!!!   or Trucks are delivering to stations by the minute and there is plenty to go around.

Store shelves are bare except for 3 jars of capers and a bottle of Clamato juice.  or Stores are filled to the brim with goodies for all to buy.

Power will be out for months.  or Power will be back on any second.

I would take any and all of these with a grain of salt.

Gas is still scarce, grocery stores are for the most part are re-opening today but may be lacking a lot of goods. There are huge amounts of homes without electricity and it may be out for quite a few days, and in some places weeks.

When we drove back from Orlando yesterday, we saw 1 McDonalds that was open with the drive thru line wrapped around the building twice.  We saw a Subway with a line out the door.

Hopefully most fast food places will be open today for those people that are jonesing for a Big Mac or a Chalupa!

I still have more than a 1/2 tank of gas in my truck and about 6 gallons in my shed, so I'm hoping that'll last me until fuel is plentiful.

I know someone that drove from the East coast back to Ft Myers area yesterday and she said gas was hard to come by, but they managed to find some... and an open Waffle House.  :)

Saw this earlier as well - https://www.clickorlando.com/news/gas-shortage-florida-races-to-refill-stations-after-hurricane-irma

I'm seeing restaurants around the Disney area (off property) starting to announce they're opening back up also. Since damage isn't consistent across even a single town, I think it's going to be all over the place for a while.  If you're heading somewhere, best bet may be to call before you leave to make sure they're open.

2 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

When I called earlier to see if the Fort would be open on Thursday I was told there was no information at this time and to continue checking back. 

That's not promising, but it may just mean that they're still sorting out how much damage there is and how quickly they can clean it up.  I assume aside from just clearing off sites, they also need to make sure there aren't any hanging or sketchy trees in guest areas that might be a danger.

7 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

That's not promising, but it may just mean that they're still sorting out how much damage there is and how quickly they can clean it up.  I assume aside from just clearing off sites, they also need to make sure there aren't any hanging or sketchy trees in guest areas that might be a danger.

At least through the web side, it looks like the HDDR and MBYBBQ are not accepting reservations before next Monday.

16 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I know someone that drove from the East coast back to Ft Myers area yesterday and she said gas was hard to come by, but they managed to find some... and an open Waffle House.  :)

Saw this earlier as well - https://www.clickorlando.com/news/gas-shortage-florida-races-to-refill-stations-after-hurricane-irma

I'm seeing restaurants around the Disney area (off property) starting to announce they're opening back up also. Since damage isn't consistent across even a single town, I think it's going to be all over the place for a while.  If you're heading somewhere, best bet may be to call before you leave to make sure they're open.

Yesterday coming home, and this morning heading to work, it was weird seeing one block lit up, traffic lights working, then the next block there was nothing.

It was eerily quiet except for the chugging of generators.

And the amounts of businesses that were closed on Saturday and yesterday made it look like the old days when all stores were closed on Sundays (am I showing my age?)

It's going to be hard finding places that are open for a while, and the ones that are open are going to be mobbed, whether it's for fuel, a meal or groceries.

People keep saying use gas buddy to find fuel, but by the time a place is posted that there is fuel, the locusts have attacked and drained the tanks!  The only way they will get a handle on this is for all the tankers to go to a certain area and re fuel numerous stations to spread out the crush.

Tampa area has malls that opened today if you need to go buy a new purse!

Just got this email

"We have an important update about your upcoming reservation at The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

For the safety of our Guests and Cast Members, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed until further notice as we recover from Hurricane Irma.

If you wish to relocate to another Walt Disney World® Resort hotel or reschedule your trip, please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can assist you by calling the Disney Reservation Center at 407-W-DISNEY.

We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to reassure you that any customary cancellation fees will be waived.

Thank you for your understanding and flexibility.

Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC"
2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

And probably a lot of water to pump and haul out.

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Tampa area has malls that opened today if you need to go buy a new purse!

Well hey - who doesn't need a new purse after a hurricane?

2 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Just got this email

"We have an important update about your upcoming reservation at The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.

For the safety of our Guests and Cast Members, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed until further notice as we recover from Hurricane Irma.

If you wish to relocate to another Walt Disney World® Resort hotel or reschedule your trip, please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can assist you by calling the Disney Reservation Center at 407-W-DISNEY.

We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to reassure you that any customary cancellation fees will be waived.

Thank you for your understanding and flexibility.

Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC"

Ugh.  Sorry to hear that.  

2 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

And probably a lot of water to pump and haul out.

Oy, yeah that too.  I'd bet a lot of loops have lakefront sites right now.