I have decided to start a new podcast that I think Fort Fiend members might find interesting. It's called The DisCamp Podcast. It focuses on Fort Wilderness, WDW and camping around the US. I just got through recording an Irma episode. The audio quality is pretty rough right now and I'm not the best at podcasting but hopefully It gets better. If anybody would be interested in coming on the podcast, I would love to have you on. I am hoping to do a Halloween at the Fort episode next. We have a trip coming up in October and I would love to hear some advice and tips during the Halloween season. I would also be open to record a podcast on just about any topic anyone would like to discuss. Anyway, hope ya'll take a few minutes to listen. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-discamp-podcast/id1281369946?mt=2

Well Wade, I do loves me some podcasts, especially Disney and camping related, so yours is the best of both worlds.  I have subscribed and am downloading your first two episodes, so hopefully I will get around to listening to them while I prep the camper for our upcoming trip.

Episode 5 - 7 first time camper tips when staying at Fort Wilderness is up. Let me know all the tips I've missed. I could use them myself.

Follow me on twitter @Discamppodcast for more updates. If you would be interested in coming on a show email me at discamppodcast @ yahoo.com.

Feel free to subscribe, rate and review on iTunes.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-discamp-podcast/id1281369946?mt=2

Wade-

I am not much of a podcast person, but I wanted to let you know that I listened to your podcasts, and wanted to give you a word of encouragement.  Good job!

In one of the podcasts, you mentioned that you've never tried Trail's End takeout, and that you thought you could call your order in and then pick it up.  That isn't the case-all orders need to be made in person and pre-paid before they're prepared.  Also, there is a set menu, which you can find on Disney's site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/trails-end-restaurant-to-go/menus/lunch-and-dinner/.  So, you were right that some of the same food served at Trail's End is available for takeout, like the fried chicken.  But, other items, such as the ribs, are not.  The take out is still great, and a great value.  You should find time to stop by and give it a try.

Also, in another episode, you mentioned how your wife requested to be upgraded to a preferred site from a premium site.  Actually, that would be a downgrade.  I hope that you got some money refunded when you did that.

These are minor issues.  You'll learn more every time you visit.

I hope that you have a great time on your upcoming trip!

TCD

5 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Also, in another episode, you mentioned how your wife requested to be upgraded to a preferred site from a premium site.  Actually, that would be a downgrade.  I hope that you got some money refunded when you did that.

This is the thing I see misunderstood most often on other msg boards and especially on Facebook pages.  The only thing preferred about these sites is the location. IMO most the sites themselves are a step below full hook up. They tend to be smaller and closer together.

7 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wade-

I am not much of a podcast person, but I wanted to let you know that I listened to your podcasts, and wanted to give you a word of encouragement.  Good job!

In one of the podcasts, you mentioned that you've never tried Trail's End takeout, and that you thought you could call your order in and then pick it up.  That isn't the case-all orders need to be made in person and pre-paid before they're prepared.  Also, there is a set menu, which you can find on Disney's site: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort/trails-end-restaurant-to-go/menus/lunch-and-dinner/.  So, you were right that some of the same food served at Trail's End is available for takeout, like the fried chicken.  But, other items, such as the ribs, are not.  The take out is still great, and a great value.  You should find time to stop by and give it a try.

These are minor issues.  You'll learn more every time you visit.

I hope that you have a great time on your upcoming trip!

TCD

TCD, thanks for listening. I've been reading your posts for years while lurking on Fort Fiends. Pretty cool to have you as a listener. We need to get you on the podcast soon. Interviewing different Fort Fiends could make for some cool shows. 

As for the things you pointed out.

1.) glad you corrected me on P and J's not being call in. I've always heard good things about it but never have had it so I was not sure how that worked.

2. Very good point on the downgrade from premium to preferred. I always get them confused on which costs more. I actually do not think we got a credit for that but I will be sure to keep that in mind in the future. We have a premium booked on our upcoming trip and I plan on keeping it but my wife is always the one wanting to upgrade (or downgrade in this case) everything.

Again thanks for listening and be sure to keeping letting me know when I mess something up. I am sure there will be plenty of more corrections that will be needed.

42 minutes ago, Memphis said:

This is the thing I see misunderstood most often on other msg boards and especially on Facebook pages.  The only thing preferred about these sites is the location. IMO most the sites themselves are a step below full hook up. They tend to be smaller and closer together.

I agree I think the names preferred and premium throw everyone off. To me preferred sounds more desirable and thus more expensive. The location has been the biggest factor on our last 2 trips. My wife hates the long walks to and from the boat. 

17 hours ago, Wade said:

I agree I think the names preferred and premium throw everyone off. To me preferred sounds more desirable and thus more expensive. The location has been the biggest factor on our last 2 trips. My wife hates the long walks to and from the boat. 

If you plan to visit the MK often, then the 100 and 200 loop locations are great for that.  But, the location isn't great for getting to the Outpost for buses to the other parks.

With two young princesses, I understand why y'all go to the MK the most.  If you were going to other parks more, you might rather be more in the center of the campground.  There was a long stretch where the 1400 loop was our favorite loop because of its proximity to the campfire area and pool.

Also, having a golf cart changes everything.  With a golf cart, it doesn't matter if you're closer to the Settlement or Outpost end of the campground- they're both just a quick and fun ride away.

There's a reason for the confusion with the preferred loop label.  When I first began to visit the Fort, there were only three loop levels: partial, full and preferred. What distinguished preferred sites from the others is that they had cable available- it wasn't necessarily location, as the 800 and 1400 loops were designated as preferred loops back then.  In around 2007, they added cable to all of the loops, and began to convert some loops into premium loops.  Some of the current premium loops, like 900-1300 were just full hook-up loops (because of their location and lack of cable), but were made in to premium loops.  The original plan was to only have three levels of sites: premium, preferred and partial.  Soon after they added cable to the 1600-1900 loops, and while the conversion to premium loops was going on, they started trying to put guests who had reserved preferred sites on the 1600-1900 loops.  Guests complained that the location of those loops was not preferred, so Disney backed off, and we now have four different site levels.

The reason I've always heard why the 100-300 loops were not made into premium loops is that the size and configuration of those loops would not accommodate the campsite expansions they did on the other converted loops, so they left those sites they way they were.

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The reason I've always heard why the 100-300 loops were not made into premium loops is that the size and configuration of those loops would not accommodate the campsite expansions they did on the other converted loops, so they left those sites they way they were.

TCD

Having spent many years in Public Works that is probably a very accurate reason. 

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you plan to visit the MK often, then the 100 and 200 loop locations are great for that.  But, the location isn't great for getting to the Outpost for buses to the other parks.

With two young princesses, I understand why y'all go to the MK the most.  If you were going to other parks more, you might rather be more in the center of the campground.  There was a long stretch where the 1400 loop was our favorite loop because of its proximity to the campfire area and pool.

Also, having a golf cart changes everything.  With a golf cart, it doesn't matter if you're closer to the Settlement or Outpost end of the campground- they're both just a quick and fun ride away.

There's a reason for the confusion with the preferred loop label.  When I first began to visit the Fort, there were only three loop levels: partial, full and preferred. What distinguished preferred sites from the others is that they had cable available- it wasn't necessarily location, as the 800 and 1400 loops were designated as preferred loops back then.  In around 2007, they added cable to all of the loops, and began to convert some loops into premium loops.  Some of the current premium loops, like 900-1300 were just full hook-up loops (because of their location and lack of cable), but were made in to premium loops.  The original plan was to only have three levels of sites: premium, preferred and partial.  Soon after they added cable to the 1600-1900 loops, and while the conversion to premium loops was going on, they started trying to put guests who had reserved preferred sites on the 1600-1900 loops.  Guests complained that the location of those loops was not preferred, so Disney backed off, and we now have four different site levels.

TCD

Good stuff here. I will probably end up using this info on a future podcast.

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wade-

I saw that you received a warm welcome on that other site from the head jackwagon in charge.

TCD

Haha. Yeah I could sense a bit of a power trip going on. They take it pretty serious over there. That's not really my scene anyway. Just thought some people might want to listen to the podcast. 

42 minutes ago, Wade said:

Haha. Yeah I could sense a bit of a power trip going on. They take it pretty serious over there. That's not really my scene anyway. Just thought some people might want to listen to the podcast. 

Of course they would.  But, that place exists as a front to drive business to a travel agency, and they're afraid of anything that might disrupt their agenda.  Their camping board is dominated by a few grumpy fun suckers who want to control what is and is not discussed there.  As a result,  it's a sad and boring place.  Eventually, the smart people find us over here.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Of course they would.  But, that place exists as a front to drive business to a travel agency, and they're afraid of anything that might disrupt their agenda.  Their camping board is dominated by a few grumpy fun suckers who want to control what is and is not discussed there.  As a result,  it's a sad and boring place.  Eventually, the smart people find us over here.

TCD

They sound like a real blast to hang out with. 

8 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

And if you mention FORT FIENDS "poof" you're gone from over there.

But the funny thing is that they ALL read this site, and swipe and report the news that is posted here.  On occasion, one of them will swipe photos from here and post them over there as their own.  The last time that happened, one of our members here called out the photo thief. But the calling out post got deleted, and the photo thief continued on her merry way without consequence.

It's a sad place for those grumpy fun suckers.

TCD

7 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

But the funny thing is that they ALL read this site, and swipe and report the news that is posted here.  On occasion, one of them will swipe photos from here and post them over there as their own.  The last time that happened, one of our members here called out the photo thief. But the calling out post got deleted, and the photo thief continued on her merry way without consequence.

It's a sad place for those grumpy fun suckers.

TCD

Yep. He addressed me as Wade but my screen name was DisCamp because Wade was taken. Sounds like he is a Fort Fiender himself.