Impact of Limited Summer Cruises on WDW

So I've been wondering the last few days about the impact of the Hurricane destruction on all of the cruise ship destinations.  Some friends at work have been told that there will be little to no cruises available this summer due to the multiple storm strikes.  Should we prepare for a massive influx of WDW guests all over property as a vacationers look for a plan b? I was going to plan a trip with my sisters family this coming summer.  My oldest niece is heading to college in the fall and  I thought maybe we should get the booking done early.

Heard anything around the travel world? 

Jason?

13 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

Some friends at work have been told that there will be little to no cruises available this summer due to the multiple storm strikes.  

I have a hard time believing that's true.

Hurricanes are a fact of life in the Caribbean, and the cruise industry has all kinds of contingency plans as a result.  I remember back in 2004/2005 there were lots of changes.  A cruise we took in November, 2005, ended up with a much different itinerary than what we booked because some of the ports we were supposed to visit were inaccessible from all of that year's storms.  But the cruise still happened.

Sadly, the devastation from this year's storms is unprecedented, but those ships aren't going to sit in port and not sail.  They will modify the itineraries, and find other islands to visit.  They might even have to offer good deals to fill the ships, but I don't believe for a minute that there will be little to no cruises available.

TCD

On 9/21/2017 at 9:07 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

I have a hard time believing that's true.

Hurricanes are a fact of life in the Caribbean, and the cruise industry has all kinds of contingency plans as a result.  I remember back in 2004/2005 there were lots of changes.  A cruise we took in November, 2005, ended up with a much different itinerary than what we booked because some of the ports we were supposed to visit were inaccessible from all of that year's storms.  But the cruise still happened.

Sadly, the devastation from this year's storms is unprecedented, but those ships aren't going to sit in port and not sail.  They will modify the itineraries, and find other islands to visit.  They might even have to offer good deals to fill the ships, but I don't believe for a minute that there will be little to no cruises available.

TCD

I fully agree! 

They've shown in the past few weeks that they'll modify crusies quickly and people will still go.  Heck I'd go on a Disney cruise to nowhere and I know lots of others would line up to do the same.

With the western carribbean and the bahamas so far not effected I don't think you'll see any issues with cruises not selling or sailing.

WBI

I think the others are correct.  When were were in Nassau back in August our guide shared that a busy day had 7 ships in port - there were 2 that day!  There is room to joggle things around and make other itineraries work.  There will be a very short-term impact as they figure some things out, but looking into next year I think vacancies created by those abandoning cruises due to changed itineraries will be grabbed by those who make the most of the opportunity to get a better deal on a cruise when the cruise lines seek to fill up.

14 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I thought it was strange too, but figured I'd ask here.  I know one individual tried the AAA office and was told there were no itineraries available due to damages. Maybe it was a temporary hold. 

I will say if they asked for specific ports and that port is not accepting cruises right now it may not have been available. Also some Ports tend to have limited sailings. For example Disney out of NYC or Galveston. They only happen in specific times. Also if he was looking for this year specifically vs next year most cruises leaving shortly have had sales or discounts to fill them up. I know the cruise I am on next week out of NYC ran some killer deals to try and fill up the boat for the last month or so and now its basically a full ship.

Just now, WannaBeImagineer said:

Awesome Jason enjoy!

Isn't Kelly headed on one soon also.

WBI

Yes. She is on the Dream. I am on the Magic. In April I tried to do a tour of the Magic in Florida but I got in a car accident on my way there. Hopefully this time goes better. 

2 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Yes. She is on the Dream. I am on the Magic. In April I tried to do a tour of the Magic in Florida but I got in a car accident on my way there. Hopefully this time goes better. 

Hope you have a safe and fun cruise. 

Fingers and toes crossed that Jose and Maria don't cause you any problems.