Last night DW and I were dreaming about and discussing our retirement plans. We both want to travel as much as possible.   Especially around the United States. She wants to travel and stay in hotels, I want to travel in an RV.   She said she wants to stay in hotels because after a long day of driving she wants to soak in a hot tub.   I said I bet some campgrounds have them and if they don't, we could bring our own.     She asked if we could do that and I said I'll ask the experts.  

So my question is in two parts.

1.  Our hot tub's a rarity at most RV campgrounds?   

2.  Would it be kosher to set up a soft tub at an RV campground?  Have you ever seen anyone with a hot tub?

2 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

So my question is in two parts.

1.  Our hot tub's a rarity at most RV campgrounds?   

2.  Would it be kosher to set up a soft tub at an RV campground?  Have you ever seen anyone with a hot tub?

Hot tubs are becoming a rarity not only at CG, but we've been at many hotels/motels where they have been taken out.

Yes, I've seen people with the portable units, it depends on whether the CG let's you use the extra water. I think for what you are contemplating set up/heat up would take too long after you arrive to keep DW happy.  ?

I'm not expert but I have often thought of getting one of those portable hot tubs or even one of the larger kids pools. For campgrounds that don't have pools like State parks and such. 

I have seen some set up at state parks and I think even at Disney before. Definitely would be up to the campground on if they would let you use the extra water, although in my mind it wouldn't be much different then filling your tanks doing laundry and such. 

Unless you were going to be somewhere for a few days I think it would be more of a pain to set up and tear down then it would be worth. 

5 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Hot tubs are becoming a rarity not only at CG, but we've been at many hotels/motels where they have been taken out.

Yes, I've seen people with the portable units, it depends on whether the CG let's you use the extra water. I think for what you are contemplating set up/heat up would take too long after you arrive to keep DW happy.  ?

I doubt we would actually carry a hot tub with us.  I asked mainly out of curiosity.

That being said, the small softub holds 140 gallons and takes about 20-24 hours to heat it up.  So we would only use it when planned on staying for a few days. 

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

By the way. How the heck would they fill that tub with hot water?  Most RV water heaters I've seen are tiny. 

When we are at the RV show earlier this month we noticed a number of the higher end RV's were equipped with on-demand water heaters. I don't know what the rates are and I couldn't tell you how much LP they use but would suspect filling a tub would be a gas hog.

52 minutes ago, keith_h said:

When we are at the RV show earlier this month we noticed a number of the higher end RV's were equipped with on-demand water heaters. I don't know what the rates are and I couldn't tell you how much LP they use but would suspect filling a tub would be a gas hog.

Interesting.

I don't know how much LP one of those would use.  But we have one in our home and it sounds like a jet engine when it turns on. Lol. 

However,  they are a lot more efficient then a tank model.  Since it's not keeping the water hot all day everyday.