Travel Day Recipes.

We all love travel days,  hitching up and heading out on the road.  If your family is like mine we try to pack food to eat along the way so we can picnic at a rest stop.  So I'm going to give you a few of our favorite travel day recipes and hope you guys will share some of yours.

Lunch Pockets

This is a staple in our house for travel days.

Pillsbury crescent rolls - opened and rolled out a bit

in the center of the triangle add cheese, cooked chicken, lunch meat, pepperoni, turkey or any other items.

Fold in corners place on baking sheet cook at 375 or 10-15 minutes.

Once cool, place in zip lock bag and place in fridge ready for the cooler the next day.

Spaghetti 

The night before we depart we will make a big batch of spaghetti with meat sauce.   It will get all mixed together and then divided up into several single serving reusable containers.  These will then be placed in the fridge and when we are on  the road they can be opened up microwaved for a few moments and have a hot meal with little to no work.

We usually make slider size sandwiches for the road. We will buy some mini Ciabatta breads or slider rolls using whatever deli meat and cheese we feel like. If we are going to overnight on the way to our destination we will make extras for the second day as well. If we are planning to stop to eat I will make a potato salad of some type. Another thing I do for overnights is make up egg and sausage English Muffins or biscuits for the morning so we don't have to drag a bunch of stuff out.  

Back in the '80s we had a TT and the kids were young.  We packed lots of deli meats, cheese, and snacks in the fridge for meals on the road.

Now that it's just the two of us and we have a Class A diesel pusher, we frequent Cracker Barrels for meals since we usually overnight there.  Still pack snacks -- nuts, protein bars, soft drinks.  The night before we arrive at the Fort we stop at the Pilot/Flying J in St. Augustine and usually get burgers at Denny's.  Leave there around 4:30 am, drive to the Fort, and have breakfast at Trail's End while we're waiting for our site assignment.

We take Kings Hawaiian rolls, open the package, cut it like one huge bagel, open er up and put on meat and chesse. Then take the open halves and put the condiments on so they end up between the meat and cheese so it doesn't make the bread soggy. Shut the halves and cut with a pizza cutter or knife and bag 2 in a sandwich bag and toss in cooler. 

These are my absolute favorite road trip snack and since they keep in the freezer, we make 2 sets and throw one in the rv fidge for the ride home. 

43 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

We take Kings Hawaiian rolls, open the package, cut it like one huge bagel, open er up and put on meat and chesse. Then take the open halves and put the condiments on so they end up between the meat and cheese so it doesn't make the bread soggy. Shut the halves and cut with a pizza cutter or knife and bag 2 in a sandwich bag and toss in cooler. 

These are my absolute favorite road trip snack and since they keep in the freezer, we make 2 sets and throw one in the rv fidge for the ride home. 

Have you tried baking them before you put on the condiments?

We rarely pre make anything for the trip itself, but always have sandwich meat and trail mix or snacks in the trailer and usually something in the truck to snack on. 

I do try to make something in the crock pot that is easy / good to reheat. Pulled pork, or buttered beef and what ever we would want along with it like egg noodles the the beef. That way we have a nice hot meal on arrival day with very little effort to prepare it that day. 

3 hours ago, bdm said:

So you precook the egg and sausage then microwave it to reheat it?

Yes.

I have some of those restaurant style egg rings I use for the eggs. I also toast up the English muffins here at the house. We use al fresco chicken breakfast patties which are fully cooked. We just assemble the sandwich, wrap it in plastic wrap and throw them in the fridge or freezer depending upon the length of trip. I know you can buy these premade but this way I can use nonfat eggs, low fat sausage and the low fat sharp cheddar cheese we prefer. Same for the biscuits unless I decide to indulge and then I might brown up some country ham to throw inside. Its not healthy but a little goes a long way.

You all are so organized.  We don't RV so it was minivan travel for us but travel day stopping for lunch, usually at a Georgia rest stop on I-95 somewhere near Brunswick I think (there's a metal pot outside and a sign about Brunswick stew), are some of my favorite memories of traveling to Florida when my kids were younger.  The excitement  of that first day of vacation!. We'd gather up all the remaining perishable/opened food in the house -- the rest of the loaf of bread, open bags of chips/cookies, various pieces of fruit, whatever and that was lunch. Everyone picked out what they wanted and we talked about our Disney plans.  Then, if we were going to the Fort, we knew a GAG for dinner was in our future. 

2 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Here is our menu from our trip in 2014: http://memoirable.blogspot.com/2014/08/meals-for-2014-wdw-trip.html

This is another recipe we prepare ahead and eat on the road: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20852/taco-in-a-bag/

I saw those tacos in a bag on an episode of "My family recipe rocks".

I will make up a menu, although not as detailed as yours, for most of our longer trips for meals we will eat a the trailer. It is the only way for me to create the shopping and packing lists without forgetting something.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Triple wrap items in foil, and wire to the exhaust manifold.  They will cook nicely!

interestingly enough, back in 1999 a bunch of us were reenacting/camping at t he sight of the now demolished tower in Gettysburg.  Someone bought one of those non frozen pre made store pizzas that you just throw in the oven and a baking stone.  Put that baby on top of my freshly built engine in my 84 Monte Carlo SS and let the car run for about 25 minutes.  It wasn't bad. 

That's my one and only cooking food on a car engine story.

1 minute ago, bhall said:

interestingly enough, back in 1999 a bunch of us were reenacting/camping at t he sight of the now demolished tower in Gettysburg.  Someone bought one of those non frozen pre made store pizzas that you just throw in the oven and a baking stone.  Put that baby on top of my freshly built engine in my 84 Monte Carlo SS and let the car run for about 25 minutes.  It wasn't bad. 

One thing checked off your bucket list!

30 minutes ago, bhall said:

For some reason cooking a pizza on a car engine doesn't seem period accurate. :lol:

On 9/24/2017 at 9:28 PM, PGHFiend said:

These are a favorite for our family as well. We will pop them on the microwave as well, yummo!