Moana update of Tiki Room?

Here's a good one.

This blog is citing another discussion board as the source of a rumor that Disney has plans to update WDW's Enchanted Tiki Room by adding Moana animatronics and music:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There's a good chance 'Moana' will end up at Magic Kingdom’s Adventureland for good

Posted By OW Staff on Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM

Earlier this year rumors were running wild regarding a major new addition of a Moana coaster in Magic Kingdom’s Adventureland. In the end, it looks like Disney decided to greenlight a TRON attraction instead.

With over $600 million in box office sales, Moana ranks among the top grossing, non-Pixar animated films of all time for Disney (not adjusted for inflation) and those numbers don’t include the millions in merchandise sales. There’s even talk of a live-action Moana sequel.

With the film being such a success it’s no surprise that Disney wants Moana to have more presence in its theme parks. A new Moana themed interactive stage show was announced for Hong Kong Disneyland in late 2016. Few details regarding the new Adventureland show were shared but concept art for it shows large props, interactive elements, and water effects all being featured.

After closing all Moana meet-and-greets at Walt Disney World earlier this year, a Moana meet-and-greet in Adventureland at Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party has been one of the most popular aspects of the event with massive lines nearly every night.

Now it looks like Moana may end up at Magic Kingdom’s Adventureland permanently. On the WDWMagic forums, industry insider and popular user known as ‘marni1971’ is reporting that Disney is looking to update the aged and less than crowded Enchanted Tiki Room attraction with a Moana overlay.

This wouldn’t be the first time the iconic attraction has gotten an update. The Magic Kingdom opening day attraction received a major update in 1998 when Lago from Aladdin and Zazu from The Lion King were added. The "Under New Management" version of the attraction, which featured the Gilbert Gottfried voiced Lago screaming over many of the classic Tiki Room songs and berating the audience for not leaving fast enough, was never really popular. It closed in 2011 after a fire damaged some of the animatronics. The Lago animatronic is rumored to have received the most damage.

With this animatronic beyond repair, Disney supposedly decided that the cheapest fix would be to return the attraction to its original state. A shortened version of the original show has been running at the Magic Kingdom since August 2011.

The Tiki Room usually has little to no wait. It has been one of the rumored locations of Magic Kingdom’s Club 33 but closing this attraction to replace it with a club for the one percenters would surely cause plenty of backlash for Disney.

The Moana update would likely include new animatronics since many of the current ones barely work. There would also likely be a mix of the Tiki Room songs and music from the Moana soundtrack. The soundtrack, which featured a song by The Rock and one by Jemaine Clement, peaked at number two on the Billboard charts and the Lin-Manuel Miranda written song "How Far I’ll Go" was nominated for Best Original Song at both the Golden Globes and Oscars.

Beyond the Moana rumors, other possibilities for the Tiki Room include transitioning it into a restaurant, which lines up with the rumors of at least one of the three dining rooms at Skipper Canteen being turned into a Club 33 space, and adding Stitch, who currently stars in the Tokyo Disneyland version of the show.

No word on when any possible updates may happen but, as with all Disney World updates, it’s likely these updates will occur before the 50th Anniversary in 2021.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/09/25/theres-a-good-chance-moana-will-end-up-at-magic-kingdoms-adventureland-for-good

I don't believe this one- they already have a full slate of new attractions to build.

TCD

9 minutes ago, keith_h said:

When will the blasphemy end? Not everything in WDW needs a tie in to their movies. 

I don't think it's ever going to end until every single ride has some kind of movie tie-in.

Out in California, they're re-theming the perfectly nice Paradise Pier into Pixar Pier.

Their Tower of Terror has already been converted into a Marvel ride, and more changes are on the way.

That's what makes this rumor a little plausible- I could totally see an imagineer suggesting a Moana overlay based on the direction that has been taken with other attractions.  I don't believe that they will spend money on new animatronics, though- those are expensive.  Maybe some brightly painted plywood cut-outs, or even a live appearance by a college girl with a curly black and bronzer wig holding a stuffed chicken.

TCD

2 hours ago, Beckers said:

I'd be totally fine with it, as long as it is done well and not some horrible, quick slap some crap on the walls and call it a day. 

With how they've handled some of it so far I expect it would be some half-baked thing like the Johnny Depp addition to Pirates of the Caribbean. Nope it's just better to leave it be. 

18 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't think it's ever going to end until every single ride has some kind of movie tie-in.

Out in California, they're re-theming the perfectly nice Paradise Pier into Pixar Pier.

Their Tower of Terror has already been converted into a Marvel ride, and more changes are on the way.

That's what makes this rumor a little plausible- I could totally see an imagineer suggesting a Moana overlay based on the direction that has been taken with other attractions.  I don't believe that they will spend money on new animatronics, though- those are expensive.  Maybe some brightly painted plywood cut-outs, or even a live appearance by a college girl with a curly black and bronzer wig holding a stuffed chicken.

TCD

ding ding ding ding - that seems like the winner....

21 hours ago, Specularius said:

Did the fire really happen or is that the cover story they used to cover the fact that they removed Lago due to Gottfried Tweeting very tasteless jokes about the Japanese Tsunami. 

Or did his Tweets cause a CM to destroy Lago?

I'd buy either explanation.  LOL

On September 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM, keith_h said:

When will the blasphemy end? Not everything in WDW needs a tie in to their movies. 

As long as the Disney Bean Counters think there is even one thin dime to be made by having any kind of link to anything else, movie, tv show, whatever;  there will be a tie in.  It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$ now.