Disney potty training....

Sundays my sons 3rd bday, about two weeks ago I spend a whole week with him at home potty training.  It was an overwhelming success.  He now will not wear a diaper witch i'm very thankful for.  This week we are traveling to the zoo, and mall to get him use to using public restrooms and not his training potty.  This has been with mixed success, no accidents, but a lot of yelling and crying about using unfamiliar bathrooms. 

My biggest fear will be keeping up potty training while at Disney in the middle of the month.  What do you do if a child shows signs of having to go while in a ride line?  Can someone hold our place while the other takes him to the bathroom or do we forfit our spot in line?

Looking for some guidance, and advice from people who have been in similar situations. 

Having had three kids go through this stage at Disney, I will suggest the following...

1. Make a habit of monitoring fluid intake (so you know when it might come), and be proactive about using bathrooms before any ride with a long line.
  2. I don't know how much experience he has with automatic toilets, but they can be a challenge for some.  A pack of sticky notes to put over the sensors is your friend in this scenario.
  3. If you get caught in a situation of immediate need, seek out a CM and explain it to them, most will make accommodations unless they are truly unable for some reason.  We had this happen with our 11yo daughter just last month in line to see Chewbacca and the CM was very helpful.
  4. DO NOT try to wait it out!!!  If he has to go, GO!  As someone who was responsible for closing down one of the loading zones at the original dumbo about 8 years ago (our daughter still has the dumbo stuffed animal we bought her in the wake of that disaster), I can tell you that you don't want to make that mistake!  

It's very doable - but patience and pro-activity will be your friends.

All good responses, so far!

I'll just add to go to the restroom often, if we passed a bathroom we asked my son, if anyone had to go he did too, we lucked out and never had any accidents over 7 days but I did have to run him to the restroom a couple times.

Also my son likes the short urinals since they make him feel grown up, and the short sinks.  We were lucky that he's never been afraid of the auto flushers.

Good luck!

WBI

2 hours ago, mickeyfan0805 said:

I don't know how much experience he has with automatic toilets, but they can be a challenge for some.  A pack of sticky notes to put over the sensors is your friend in this scenario.

Ah yes automatic toilets. When my daughters were 3 and 6 we stopped for a potty break. The restaurant had automatic toilets and my youngest kept yelling at her sister to stop flushing her toilet. Now mind you big sister was in a different stall while all of this is going on. When she returned to the car with the others she had to tattle to me about her sister and not even I could convince her it was the toilet not her sister that did the flushing. Wish we had known about the sticky notes back then.

47 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Will he need the folding seat insert to feel more comfortable on the split seat public toilets?

Well we did a mid day trip to the zoo to test out using some "family Restrooms" that was a lot better experience.  He doesn't mind using the split seats as long as mommy or daddy are there to aid him.  Wish I would have seen the advice on post it notes before going to the zoo.  The auto flush did cause some distress, as did the auto hand dryer.  I'll be adding post it notes to our bag right now....

The first time we took our kids to Disney they were 5 and 2@2 weeks before turning 3 (ie free admission and could stay in a room for 4 at All Star Movies). The twins were pretty much potty trained but I had them wear Pull Ups.  One figured out that saying he needed to go was a sure way to get to sit and rest for a while and we spent a good bit of time in the restrooms until we figured that out and then it was "do you really really need to go?".  We were in the waiting area for Mickey's PhilHarmagic, last show of the day, our last day and one of the few things we hadn't done yet. Older son had to go so husband took him. Twins swore they didn't or had just been or for some reason I didn't send them too. I think I also figured it would be easier for just husband and older son to get back in to where we were. Sure enough one of the twins really had to go. I begged him to go in his Pull Up but he really didn't want to. Especially since that was the opposite of what I'd been encouraging and rewarding.  But finally he did.   Not one of my best parenting moments. But we all enjoyed Mickey's Philharmagic!

On 9/26/2017 at 10:11 AM, mickeyfan0805 said:

Having had three kids go through this stage at Disney, I will suggest the following...

1. Make a habit of monitoring fluid intake (so you know when it might come), and be proactive about using bathrooms before any ride with a long line.
  2. I don't know how much experience he has with automatic toilets, but they can be a challenge for some.  A pack of sticky notes to put over the sensors is your friend in this scenario.
  3. If you get caught in a situation of immediate need, seek out a CM and explain it to them, most will make accommodations unless they are truly unable for some reason.  We had this happen with our 11yo daughter just last month in line to see Chewbacca and the CM was very helpful.
  4. DO NOT try to wait it out!!!  If he has to go, GO!  As someone who was responsible for closing down one of the loading zones at the original dumbo about 8 years ago (our daughter still has the dumbo stuffed animal we bought her in the wake of that disaster), I can tell you that you don't want to make that mistake!  

It's very doable - but patience and pro-activity will be your friends.

Excellent advise!   We were fortunate in the timing of our trips.  I actually put off potty training a month or two, just to get past a Disney trip, so I love these suggestions as they were what I did on local trips (except the post-it notes, that's brilliant!!).   Monitoring fluid intake and lots of potty breaks, when out of the house, is key those first 6 months.   For both of our kiddos, we never asked them if they needed to go, but rather took them darn near every chance we had.   

The Dumbo story is priceless ^_^

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

The Dumbo story is priceless ^_^

It is now - it wasn't then!  Our dd was 3 and trained (not wearing pull ups or anything) when, while IN the loading station and next to get on the ride, she starts saying she has to go.  We ask her if she can wait and she says yes.  30 seconds later, it's everywhere!  They had to evacuate and close that side of the loading station, move the entire group to the other side, get someone to come to a full clean-up, etc...  Meanwhile, my wife is running off to the bathroom to clean her up while I am still standing in the midst of all of the people with our 4yo dd (and 8m old son) so that she doesn't miss the ride!

:cantbelieveit:

19 hours ago, mickeyfan0805 said:

It is now - it wasn't then!  Our dd was 3 and trained (not wearing pull ups or anything) when, while IN the loading station and next to get on the ride, she starts saying she has to go.  We ask her if she can wait and she says yes.  30 seconds later, it's everywhere!  They had to evacuate and close that side of the loading station, move the entire group to the other side, get someone to come to a full clean-up, etc...  Meanwhile, my wife is running off to the bathroom to clean her up while I am still standing in the midst of all of the people with our 4yo dd (and 8m old son) so that she doesn't miss the ride!

:cantbelieveit:

Ahhh.... yes, those moments.  I know they can be tough but man, those memories are sweet.  Time goes...so. very. fast.    It's like that sweet tiny baby that keeps you up at night.  Those are some rough nights, but soon that sweet baby is too big to even hold in your arms.  Too fast.

22 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Ahhh.... yes, those moments.  I know they can be tough but man, those memories are sweet.  Time goes...so. very. fast.    It's like that sweet tiny baby that keeps you up at night.  Those are some rough nights, but soon that sweet baby is too big to even hold in your arms.  Too fast.

So very true.  Our oldest is 12.5 and we are noting that all of her conversation with her friends is about boys.  I'm SO not ready for that!!

Just now, mickeyfan0805 said:

So very true.  Our oldest is 12.5 and we are noting that all of her conversation with her friends is about boys.  I'm SO not ready for that!!

Oh...right?!!  Ours is almost 11 and I'm getting ready to have some adult conversations with her.  I'm not a drinker...but, I may need alcohol.    Makes me cringe just thinking about it.  Natural and beautiful, sure.  But a talking these things over with your baby...good grief, not ready for that.   

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter was 3 when she potty trained herself at the Magic Kingdom.  I guess the toilets seemed like an adventure to her.  After she did it once she was excited to use every porcelain facility we walked by.  She's 40 now and will try to potty train her youngest at MK in December when she comes down from NJ.  I hope you have the same kind of luck.  It sure makes life easier.

• 3 weeks later...