2017 NYE Event at the Fort- Mickey's Backyard BBQ

We were on the beach for the fireworks this past year. My recommendation is to get there early. There were people who actually brought rope and staked out their own little VIP areas. We ate dinner at Ohana and saw the fireworks from the Poly at 7:00. Then we had some drinks at Crockett's and watched football. We watched the fireworks from close to the tree line. It's raised up above other people and was a good people watching spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:03 AM, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

We were on the beach for the fireworks this past year. My recommendation is to get there early. There were people who actually brought rope and staked out their own little VIP areas. We ate dinner at Ohana and saw the fireworks from the Poly at 7:00. Then we had some drinks at Crockett's and watched football. We watched the fireworks from close to the tree line. It's raised up above other people and was a good people watching spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the recommendation of hanging back by the treeline.

Another advantage of hanging out behind the crowd is that the speakers are back here, and if they're working*, the audio is much better than being toward the water.

*sadly, that's a big if.

TCD

On 10/4/2017 at 9:56 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

One of our favorite memories is of a young drunk couple who were having a loud fight and break up right there on the beach a few minutes before midnight.  The guy was walking around carrying one of the rocking chairs from the Crockett's Tavern porch.  The twins can recite the whole argument word for word.  It was very memorable.  TCD

That reminds me of the old Soap Opera Bistro restaurant they used to have at California Adventure shortly after it opened.  The interior had different rooms for a different soap opera.  Your meal would seem normal at first, in terms of your server; other than the fact your server would have a costume fitting with the room you were in.  For example the General Hospital room would have the staff in medical themed costumes.   All of a sudden one of the servers would accuse another server of having an affair with her boyfriend (another server).  It would end up in a huge argument/drama scene involving most of the wait staff.  The food was good too.  That restaurant didn't last too long but we thought it was terrific.

http://www.yesterland.com/soapopera.html

4 hours ago, djsamuel said:

That reminds me of the old Soap Opera Bistro restaurant they used to have at California Adventure shortly after it opened.  The interior had different rooms for a different soap opera.  Your meal would seem normal at first, in terms of your server; other than the fact your server would have a costume fitting with the room you were in.  For example the General Hospital room would have the staff in medical themed costumes.   All of a sudden one of the servers would accuse another server of having an affair with her boyfriend (another server).  It would end up in a huge argument/drama scene involving most of the wait staff.  The food was good too.  That restaurant didn't last too long but we thought it was terrific.

That sounds incredibly hokey and completely amazing!!  :P

8 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Yes, it was VERY hokey.  That was what made it so fun. :lol:

I was just looking more closely at the pictures.  We were there just after 9/11 occurred in 2001.  In the bottom left of the attached picture (taken in 2001), you can see three people coming from the store in the background, behind the guy in the red sweatshirt.  The smaller person in the front has the same hair my daughter had in 2001, along with the same color jacket, the guy to her left is wearing the same shade of brown jacket I took on that trip, and the woman behind the girl seems to be wearing a red jacket the same color as the one my wife took on the trip.  I wonder if we are in that picture. 

soapopera_exterior2001ah.jpg

5 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Wow.

Thanks for sharing that and providing the link.  I never heard of this restaurant.

When California Adventure opened in 2001, I seriously researched a family trip to Disneyland, but we never made it to see California Adventure in its original glory.  In hindsight, that was a good thing, but it would have been cool to see DCA before its big makeover.

13 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

I was just looking more closely at the pictures.  We were there just after 9/11 occurred in 2001.  In the bottom left of the attached picture (taken in 2001), you can see three people coming from the store in the background, behind the guy in the red sweatshirt.  The smaller person in the front has the same hair my daughter had in 2001, along with the same color jacket, the guy to her left is wearing the same shade of brown jacket I took on that trip, and the woman behind the girl seems to be wearing a red jacket the same color as the one my wife took on the trip.  I wonder if we are in that picture. 

soapopera_exterior2001ah.jpg

If by "just after" 9/11 you meant that you went in September or October, the Christmas decorations in this photo would exclude you and your family from being in this photo.

TCD

12 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Wow.

Thanks for sharing that and providing the link.  I never heard of this restaurant.

When California Adventure opened in 2001, I seriously researched a family trip to Disneyland, but we never made it to see California Adventure in its original glory.  In hindsight, that was a good thing, but it would have been cool to see DCA before its big makeover.

If by "just after" 9/11 you meant that you went in September or October, the Christmas decorations in this photo would exclude you and your family from being in this photo.

TCD

VERY OBSERVANT!  I didn't even notice the Christmas decorations.  We arrived at Disneyland in late September.  California Adventure at the time really felt cheap.  Actually, this restaurant as well as the California Screamin coaster were among the few redeeming qualities.  We need to get back there and see it now.  Disneyland however was terrific.

Thanks again for the Christmas observation!

Doug

36 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

VERY OBSERVANT!  I didn't even notice the Christmas decorations.  We arrived at Disneyland in late September.  California Adventure at the time really felt cheap.  Actually, this restaurant as well as the California Screamin coaster were among the few redeeming qualities.  We need to get back there and see it now.  Disneyland however was terrific.

Thanks again for the Christmas observation!

Doug

I think I only noticed the decorations because I was studying the photo to try and see if I could figure out where the Soap Opera restaurant was located.  That article had a link to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot Elephants, which I also had never heard of, so I read that article too: http://www.yesterland.com/elephants.html

I found it all very interesting, because they have really redone the park.  Between those two articles, I was able to figure out exactly where the restaurant used to be.  The building is still there, but it's an interactive animation attraction, gift shop, and restrooms now.

You really should make an effort to get out there, especially since you have access to CM privileges.  I've been out to Disneyland 5 times now since my daughters have become CM's, and one of my daughters just completed her 3rd trip to Disneyland in this year. We all really love it out there, and, with CM admission, it can be done very affordably.  You would be amazed at the CM discounts they offer at almost every quick serve location.  You can find a nice and inexpensive hotel off-property, within walking distance, or CM's park free in the parking garage.  I would definitely suggest getting out there for a visit before they open their Star Wars Land.  I think that's going to wreck the parks with out-of-control crowds.

TCD

• 2 months later...

The WDWMAGIC site is reporting that the New Year's Eve Backyard BBQ a the Fort is now sold out.

Mickey’s New Year’s Eve BBQ (SOLD OUT) – Mickey and friends invite guests to join in a rootin’ tootin’ celebration that includes a scrumptious unlimited BBQ feast. Bluegrass music and a DJ are sure to have everyone on their feet to ring in the New Year. The celebration begins at 7:30pm on December 31.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/holidays-at-the-magic-kingdom/news/13dec2017-new-years-eve-2017-entertainment-line-up.htm

If any Fiends signed up for this, I hope that you have fun!

TCD