We stayed here one time, it's the first exit off the turnpike after getting on at 75.  http://www.villagerrvpark.com 

It was several years ago when we stayed there, it was nothing fancy but we felt safe, they had a pool and there are 2 gas stations on that exit. It was a mix of full time and I would assume snowbirds in the winter. They did have some pull through sites with full hookups.  I think it took us a little over an hour to get to the Fort. 

I'm sure there will be some other fiends along with some more recommendation who are more familiar with the route you're taking. 

48 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

There is the Wildwood KOA right at the turnpike/75 Exchange that I've heard good things about.

That was a regular stop for us. New owners did a lot to fix it up. Several times we stayed for 2 or 3 days. 

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

There is the Wildwood KOA right at the turnpike/75 Exchange that I've heard good things about. I usually stop at the campground at Exit 5 in Georgia, which is probably a little further North than you are wanting.

Yep - I actually have a reservation for Eagle's Roost right now.  But, I'm considering leaving the afternoon on the day before my original plan, which will bump me a couple hundred miles further down the road (the biggest advantage being that I will be able to better arrange my trip through Atlanta).

Following this thread as we're probably going to be in the same boat. Unless I get lucky with tacking a couple of nights onto the front of our reservation (unlikely as it's Halloween) we're going to need a couple of nights somewhere else.  Dog friendly but no frills required - I'll be working anyway, although that does mean I'll need Wifi.