A Disneyland Flickr album ... TR (kinda)

If anyone wants to follow along, I’m uploading pictures from our recent DL visit to Flickr. I’m overloaded busy and can’t write up a proper trip report. But I am culling and uploading pictures a handful at a time.

The Flickr link is here:

https://flickr.com/photos/7200488@N08/sets/72157688857640326

So far I’ve uploaded:

- our arrival at Disneyland Hotel

- an evening at Disneyland

- a day at Disneyland

And I’m starting on our first day at Disney’s California Adventure. I’ve uploaded a few misc shots and the new Frozen Live Musical (which replaced the Aladdin show). I’m working on some Cars Land pictures now.

If I remember, I’ll come back here to remark when I upload pics.

Hope you like them!

Edited by ependydad...Doug
Fixed link?
11 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

Thanks. I think that’s fixed.

Yup- the link works now!

I think we must have been in Disneyland around the same time.

We were out there a couple of weeks ago- and were there the day they reopened Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain, and debuted Monsters After Dark and the rest of the California Adventure Halloween stuff.

It would have been funny if we ran into you.

Great photos, by the way.  Thanks for sharing them.  You and the family look like you're all doing great.

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I think we must have been in Disneyland around the same time.

We were out there a couple of weeks ago- and were there the day they reopened Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain, and debuted Monsters After Dark and the rest of the California Adventure Halloween stuff.

Too funny! We were at Disneyland Hotel from Sept 16-20 and then Anaheim RV Park from 20-26. We went to the first Mickey's Halloween Party on the 20th (I'll have pictures for that eventually- our costumes were awesome!).

Thanks for the kind words. I am also amazed at how different Disneyland is vs. Disney World. Honestly, for most things- I like Disneyland better. Though, our CM interactions felt a little more abrupt.

I definitely liked most of the WDW Halloween party better than the DL Halloween party. The parade itself was something significantly better at WDW. It didn't help that we were ushered from where we were sitting after having asked a cast member if it was OK if we sat there and sat there for 10-15 minutes. We ended up with less than stellar seating arrangements at that point.

Also, a tip if you go- go to the first parade so you can snag a prime spot for fireworks viewing. We didn't; we thought we would catch the second parade but that meant we couldn't find anywhere at all that had any kind of decent viewing for the fireworks. Both the castle and fireworks were obstructed by trees. And, there had to have been a glitch or malfunction- there was no grand finale to speak of. The fireworks sort of ended and the projections came to a logical close.

But anyway... pictures from the Halloween Party are up. We truly did enjoy ourselves and came away with a huge bag of candy (which we promptly gave to the office of the next RV park we went to).

They seem to start on page 3:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7200488@N08/albums/72157688857640326/page3

The first picture is of my daughter watching the marching band:

Watching the Marching Band, Disneyland, Mickey’s Halloween Party

A+ on the Halloween costumes, Bing Bong.

I agree with you about the Disneyland parade, and fireworks.  We caught the regular fireworks show when we were there. It's a hot mess.  They stole the song from Wishes, and there was no Tinkerbell or Dumbo flying.  Trying to find a spot in Disneyland for fireworks makes me really appreciate the MK's new hub design.

Did you get to ride the Monsters After Dark version of Mission Breakout?

TCD

7 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Did you get to ride the Monsters After Dark version of Mission Breakout?

We did not. With a 5 year old, we were concerned about the "scary" aspect of it.

Funny story to that ... when he was just barely 40" tall, we put him on Tower of Terror. He says he liked it but would never ride it again. Fast forward a year or two and we're in Disneyland faced with Guardians of the Galaxy. WE know it's just a new face. HE doesn't.

As we are in line, my daughter quietly asks me, "Dad, what didn't he like about it last time? The ride or was it scary?" I chuckled and exclaimed, "we're about to find out!"

Turns out, he found the Twilight Zone aspect scary. GOG was fun, funny, and entertaining. We got done the ride and hadn't unbuckled yet and he was already shouting that he wanted to do it again!

He was less than amused when we told him it was the exact same ride as TOT.

Prior days’ ride pictures

I uploaded our remaining days. We left the hotel on Thursday (the morning after the Halloween party) and moved over to Anaheim RV Resort.

We had left the truck + trailer parked in Disneyland Hotel’s parking lot. I intentionally left the fridge and all parasitic draws on to see how my new lithium battery bank faired. And then also to see how long it took to recharge batteries. All told, it was a win. 

Thursday evening, we picked Grandma and Grandpa up from the airport. They were flying in because Grandpa was supposed to visit his work’s home office. Instead, he got called at the last minute and got sent to China on Sunday- he flew out of Los Angeles. We kept Grandma with us and she’s now ridden with us to Albuquerque.

Friday night, we went to Downtown Disney and shopped around a bit. We had dinner at La Brea Bakery Cafe (very yummy!) and then walked and shopped a bit.

Saturday we went to Disneyland. Surprisingly, I took very few pictures- living in the moment, I guess! We bought the MaxPass again and unfortunately it kept going down. Disney apologized and offered free FastPasses to make up for it.

Sunday-Tuesday were low key. A little shopping and prep for Tuesday travel. We are headed east towards Albuquerque for the Balloon Festival!

(end trip report ? )

15 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

We did not. With a 5 year old, we were concerned about the "scary" aspect of it.

Funny story to that ... when he was just barely 40" tall, we put him on Tower of Terror. He says he liked it but would never ride it again. Fast forward a year or two and we're in Disneyland faced with Guardians of the Galaxy. WE know it's just a new face. HE doesn't.

As we are in line, my daughter quietly asks me, "Dad, what didn't he like about it last time? The ride or was it scary?" I chuckled and exclaimed, "we're about to find out!"

Turns out, he found the Twilight Zone aspect scary. GOG was fun, funny, and entertaining. We got done the ride and hadn't unbuckled yet and he was already shouting that he wanted to do it again!

He was less than amused when we told him it was the exact same ride as TOT.

Prior days’ ride pictures

Great photo!  You probably made the right call about Monsters After Dark.  Of course, it's the same ride, but the lighting, videos, sound effects and music are all different.  And, there's the whole premise that all of the Collector's critters are on the loose and wandering around the building.  I thought it was great, and a very clever thing to do with this ride,  but maybe it would be too much for a skittish 5 year old.

Thanks for sharing all of your photos and the updates about how you're doing.  It's good to know that things are still going well.  Enjoy your journey!

TCD

15 hours ago, keith_h said:

The balloon festival is great. Rene and I there for the big lift off when we were on our honeymoon. I have lots of pics that I took with my old 35MM. 

I'm really excited. We got here today and survived our first day boondocking. I think we're all afraid to use water.

My electric plan is 2 part:

1) generator for A/C as needed and to recharge my batteries (especially as the A/C is running)

2) a small 1000W inverter. I cheat and run a cord from it's outlets to the camper's power inlet and got a 50amp to 15amp adapter. I then manage (the very limited) energy  available. So far, I only popped the GFCI on the inverter once and that was while I was researching which outlets/appliances were on which breakers.

15 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Great photo!  You probably made the right call about Monsters After Dark.  Of course, it's the same ride, but the lighting, videos, sound effects and music are all different.  And, there's the whole premise that all of the Collector's critters are on the loose and wandering around the building.  I thought it was great, and a very clever thing to do with this ride,  but maybe it would be too much for a skittish 5 year old.

Thanks for sharing all of your photos and the updates about how you're doing.  It's good to know that things are still going well.  Enjoy your journey!

TCD

Thanks for confirming. I do think we made the right choice.

Now, what amazes me is how much fun this ride was (at least the day time version). We chuckled and laughed the whole way through the actual ride portion. The movie scenes as part of it were awesomely immersive and fun- even for us without ever seeing the movie (movies?). We all came off of it enjoying it way more than we ever did with Tower of Terror. Great redo, IMO.

9 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

Now, what amazes me is how much fun this ride was (at least the day time version). We chuckled and laughed the whole way through the actual ride portion. The movie scenes as part of it were awesomely immersive and fun- even for us without ever seeing the movie (movies?). We all came off of it enjoying it way more than we ever did with Tower of Terror. Great redo, IMO.

I agree. Initially, I thought the whole idea of the makeover of the ride was dumb, and really wasn't very interested in riding it.  As you know, it's a difficult FP to get, and we got caught up in the hype, and rode it several times.  I agree that they did a good job with this.  I am generally not a fan of rides that rely on video screens instead of actual props and animatronics, but they used the screens perfectly on this ride, and they didn't bother me.  I think it's brilliant that they are able to operate two different versions of the ride on the same day.  I didn't think that the Monsters After Dark version would be that different from the regular version, but they did enough with it that it was a different experience.  I didn't think I'd like any of this more than the original Twilight Zone version, but the new ride is much more interesting and fun.

When you get the chance, you should check out the movies (there are two now).  They are very well done, and they fit in with the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe.  I think that some of the characters are going to show up in the upcoming Thor movie.

TCD

18 hours ago, keith_h said:

While I'm sure it is safe we don't use the trailer water system, tank or city, for drinking or cooking as it has a plastic or vinyl taste.

We run all of our drinking water through a Berkey Water Filter typically. This week, to save on water usage- my wife bought something like 5 x 2.5gallon jugs.

But I more meant just from a water conservation perspective. We only have a 42g freshwater tank (same with gray tank). We are afraid of running out and are afraid of filling the gray- more water and pump outs are $25 a piece. I have bladders for both (60g FW and 100g sewer bladder) but the logistics of sharing truck bed space and all that jazz is baffling my feeble little brain.