A very hot quick trip

My wife and I went to the MK Saturday and met up with my daughter and her boyfriend who came down from Minneapolis for the weekend.  They were babysitting my youngest granddaughter while my other daughter went to a wedding.

Surprisingly there were no backups on our drive from Tampa on I-4, and this was a Saturday morning between 9 and 11.  The first backup we encountered was at the MK toll booth.  I always get in the line that doesn't move!!

Parked in Rapunzel, got the tram that was pulling up.  No lines at security at the TTC, but had to go thru the metal detector.

Express buses were running, they didn't even get them 1/2 full before they took off, and there were at least 3 in line waiting to pull around to the loading area.

It was a typical MK day.  HOT,  temps were mid 90s with a feel like of 105. Crowds weren't too bad but of course there were the inconsiderate idiots that have to have a meeting in the middle of the walkways.

On the way to TomorrowLand in the walkway between the Stitch Ride and Laugh Factory were 3 or 4 CMs with poles that had Keep Right signs and arrows in the middle of the walkway.  The majority of the people were complying.  They had the same thing over by Peter Pan/Small World.  Had never seen those before.

We let the Minnesotians dictate where we went.  They all went on Big Thunder while my wife and I people watched on the boardwalk overlooking Tom Sawyers Island.

We all did Small World and Jungle Cruise.

Went to the Poly for lunch at Captain Cooks.  I got the Beef and Cheddar sandwich.  Was really good.  Asked for it without the potato chips and saved $2!

After lunch my wife and I headed to our hotel (Rosen Shingle Creek) and they all went to HS.

They stopped at Giordanos and brought pizza back to the hotel at 10:30.

Sunday after we checked out we all went to FQ to walk around, relax, and have some beignets. They were thinking about taking the boat to Disney Springs and possibly going to the movies.

While we were at FQ my granddaughter saw a pumpkin on top of the tower at the playground with a characters silhouette on it.  My daughter has seen  one in the food court also.

Turns out there is a Pumpkin Scavenger Hunt.  You had to locate 13 pumpkins and write down who the villain was on each one. They gave you really good clues to where they were and who the villain might be.  And most of the pumpkins were close to the main building/pool area.  The furthest was the boat landing.

After we finished they gave out buttons saying I found 13 villainous pumpkins at PO FQ.

I hate to say it, but with all the crap going on at the Fort (trying to book a site, rowdiness, now a lot of theft) we are liking FQ more and more as our favorite Disney resort.

It has the feel of the Fort of bygone days. 

It's just a real relaxing atmosphere, and they have a lot of activities that aren't crowded and you don't have to worry about getting run down by an underage golf cart driver.

Not much of a TR, but I thought I'd put out there the scavenger hunt and the keep right poles.

That sounds like fun, i wonder if any other resorts do that as well? I'd have to agree its easy to relax there, it doesn't feel too busy. Thanks for sharing the hunt.

Mark-

Thanks for sharing.  Day trips are fun.  I've seen the sign holding CM's plenty of times- but it's usually after the fireworks on a busy night, not during the day.

How did you like Rosen Shingle Creek?  One of my daughters lives on campus at the UCF Rosen School of Hospitality Management, so I am very familiar with that area.  The Publix there is awesome.

I agree with you about POFQ.  But don't get too attached to it.  Historically, it is probably the most difficult resort to score a reservation at, and typically is excluded from discount offers.  It was a strange thing that you were able to score last minute reservations there over this past summer.

TCD

17 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Mark-

Thanks for sharing.  Day trips are fun.  I've seen the sign holding CM's plenty of times- but it's usually after the fireworks on a busy night, not during the day.

How did you like Rosen Shingle Creek?  One of my daughters lives on campus at the UCF Rosen School of Hospitality Management, so I am very familiar with that area.  The Publix there is awesome.

I agree with you about POFQ.  But don't get too attached to it.  Historically, it is probably the most difficult resort to score a reservation at, and typically is excluded from discount offers.  It was a strange thing that you were able to score last minute reservations there over this past summer.

TCD

We've stayed at Rosen Shingle Creek quite a few times.  Usually we got it in the $50 range thru Hotwire/Priceline.  This time was $99. Everything was booked or high priced this weekend.

It's a great hotel, beautiful grounds.  They have various sports activities and loan fishing gear. There is a large bird cage in the lobby with native birds in it.

Food prices are high at everything from the quick serve to the restaurants. But like you said there is a Publix and other food places across the street,

Parking is quite a hike from the lot to the entrance (sometimes they have golf carts giving you a ride) and they are inconsistent on charging you to park.  We were charged 1 time in the 5 or 6 times we've stayed.  They tried to charge my daughter this weekend, (she got it removed) but never said a word to us.

We had never seen those keep right signs.  It was busy but I've seen it a lot worse.

Well FQ is going to be our go to place, even if we can't stay there... the grounds and food court are too good to pass up.

7 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Hey- Josh from EasyWDW was at the MK the same day as you.  He has a blog post about it.  Maybe you're in one of his photos?:

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/magic-kingdom-8am-rope-drop-on-a-saturday-in-october-10717/

TCD

We probably didn't get in until around 11.  Maybe if he has pictures from later in the day...