Dogs to be allowed at some WDW Resort Hotels + Fort Wilderness Cabins

But you get this for your first $50

• At check-in, Pluto’s Welcome Kit includes a mat, bowls, a pet ID tag, courtesy plastic disposable bags, puppy pads and dog walking maps. Also included: a Pluto “Do Not Disturb” door hanger indicating to hotel staff that a pet is in the room.

So does that mean no maid service?

My relatives have been charged $20 to $25 a night pet fees at hotels on their way to NY. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand that. It's a shame that Disney management is once again so short-sighted about this.  It would not be that hard to designate pet cabins and non-pet cabins, and enforce the rules.  Bu

I forgot to post the most important photo of all- Rocky enjoying the cabin porch: Note that he is wearing his official $100 bandana. TCD

That is bizarre. Lol.  Omg.  It's amazing what the average person will spend on there fur baby. Trust me it's not just the 1%ers. There will be animals at ever resort.  Including the value resort

2 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I suspect Disney is doing the same thing but just hasn't published it yet. 

But we know how people love to sue Disney. Waiting for the first "they said it was a non-pet room but I couldn't breathe for 10 hours so they must have lied" lawsuit.   DISNEY TRIES TO KILL GUEST WITH PET DANDER -- see the full story on Action News at 11.

2 minutes ago, Travisma said:

But you get this for your first $50

• At check-in, Pluto’s Welcome Kit includes a mat, bowls, a pet ID tag, courtesy plastic disposable bags, puppy pads and dog walking maps. Also included: a Pluto “Do Not Disturb” door hanger indicating to hotel staff that a pet is in the room.

So does that mean no maid service?

My relatives have been charged $20 to $25 a night pet fees at hotels on their way to NY. 

They mention in the email I receive contacting house keeping to schedule a time when you will take the dog out of the room for them to clean. 

1 minute ago, Seals said:

But we know how people love to sue Disney. Waiting for the first "they said it was a non-pet room but I couldn't breathe for 10 hours so they must have lied" lawsuit.   DISNEY TRIES TO KILL GUEST WITH PET DANDER -- see the full story on Action News at 11.

In FL, especially Orlando, this would be breaking news interrupting every prime time show!

13 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I suspect Disney is doing the same thing but just hasn't published it yet. 

That would make the most sense to me.  

11 minutes ago, Seals said:

On the Bring Fido website it says:

Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando welcomes two pets of any size for an additional fee of $50 per night. Pets may not be left unattended at any time.

Hmm... I haven't found anything on the Universal site that says that and there's this bit from the UO site...

"Please make arrangements with housekeeping for daily room cleaning during your stay."

That reads to me that you can leave your dog in your room but should sort it out with housekeeping so that they aren't surprised by a dog when they go in while you're not there.

Honestly, it wouldn't make any sense to not be able to leave your dog in your room.  Who goes to stay at UO (or any hotel) and never leaves their room?

Interestingly enough, I *do* know of some campgrounds where the rules state that you may not leave your dog in the camper when your'e not there.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

This may sound bizarre, BUT I think this whole thing is so the hoity toity celebrities can bring their little yappers with them to the Yacht Club without any complaints from the rest of the world. I can see the 1% ers paying $50 a night for to bring "Chipper" with them to the Grand Suite at the Yacht Club, but I honestly can't see anyone that is paying for a moderate or a value do that.

It gets the folks who happen to glimpse someone with a pet at the Deluxe without complaining about "why can't I bring a pet". Why of course you can, and hand out the rules and the price sheet, and that shuts them up.

That is bizarre. Lol. 

Omg.  It's amazing what the average person will spend on there fur baby. Trust me it's not just the 1%ers. There will be animals at ever resort.  Including the value resorts. I don't get it but there are  people that cannot be away from there fur babies for more than one night. And the funny thing is they always blame it on the dog. "

Oh my dog can't stand to be away from us. We just have to bring a little poochie with us or he will die!"

i love our dogs but they don't travel with us.   Yes ours whines when we leave. They act like it's the end of the world. But one minute later they are on the couch sleeping.  And I have the security cameras to prove it.  Lol!  

46 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

That is bizarre. Lol. 

Omg.  It's amazing what the average person will spend on there fur baby. Trust me it's not just the 1%ers. There will be animals at ever resort.  Including the value resorts. I don't get it but there are  people that cannot be away from there fur babies for more than one night. And the funny thing is they always blame it on the dog. "

Oh my dog can't stand to be away from us. We just have to bring a little poochie with us or he will die!"

i love our dogs but they don't travel with us.   Yes ours whines when we leave. They act like it's the end of the world. But one minute later they are on the couch sleeping.  And I have the security cameras to prove it.  Lol!  

We are one of the families considering bringing our dog with us. Jedi has traveled all over with us and even once to Disney when we brought our pop up down. That trip is actually a large reason I am considering bringing him. With everything that went wrong on that trip and all the time I spent fixing things to be able to continue using the camper while down there I never got to take him to the dog park or for a long walk around and on the trails and along the canal where he is allowed. Yes it's sappy. I had those things in my head that I wanted to do that didn't happen. 

Do I think we would bring him regularly. No. It is quite a bit of additional money. We already happen to be staying in a Cabin so we don't have to change that. We were already driving down and since we wouldnt fly with him that lines up too. Plus it's Christmas week and I dislike bothering people to watch him for us while we are away. But he does not do well kenneled. He was abused when he was young and that environment messes him up bad. We tried once and it took me months to get him back to his normal. I have friends who love him and are willing but It's an added burden at Christmas. 

Would he be fine if we left him with friends. Sure would. Jedi is not like a lot of dogs though and I also have video to prove it. I was curious to see what he does do during the day. He is crate trained and loves his crate. He taught himself to open the door if unlocked to go inside and will even when we are home to curl up and sleep. It's his room and his space. We travel with that same crate since it is collapsible. When we leave for the day at home for work, or for a bit when traveling, he just curls up in his crate and sleeps. Doesnt make a sound. 

I am confident Jedi would do wonderful with this and we are considering it for this one trip. It's an added expense but it's something I really want. 

3 hours ago, parrothead7368 aka Norm said:

The cleaning fee may be for a more thorough cleaning than a standard room. I know my daughter reacts to anything certain dogs has come in contact with, so for health reasons, for the next guest this may be why. Also, it may help discourage pets as well as looking like they accept them as well.

If it's like most hotels/motels they only use certain rooms for pets, because of allergies. 

I would think they will have certain rooms, and most likely buildings/loops that will be pet friendly. I'm not really familiar with how they Yacht club is set up but it would be very easy at the Fort to have a specific loop for pets, and buildings for pets at Riverside and Art of Animation with dog walks or parks around those buildings. We all know how the pet loops worked out at the Fort but that's a little different. 

The one thing I don't like about the Fort Wilderness dog park is that it's just one big fenced in area. A lot of places around here including Lazydays has separate big dog and small dog parks. My dog mostly likes all dog but does not like when small unfamiliar dogs get up under her. We had an issue with that at the Fort one time this little dog kept running up under the bigger dogs and snipping at them. To be honest after that we quit going to the dog park there. It was also somewhat the fault of the other dogs owner as well who was sitting at the picnic table just chatting not paying a bit of attention to her dog. 

5 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

If it's like most hotels/motels they only use certain rooms for pets, because of allergies. 

Until they fill up and they don't want to turn away $350 for someone's pup to stay a week and put them in a regular room. 

If this stick with his I hope it never becomes an option at all Disney Resorts or we will stay elsewhere. I do think it's going to be the bad dog owners that ruin it for everyone. Both having them stop allowing it because of complaints and issues and then not following rules and having their dog where they don't belong and upsetting the non dog owners (and the good dog owners too).

First off, I'm not a dog hater.  Have had a few over the years.

It's not just a matter of cleaning rooms and yappy dogs.

There are people with various stages of "phobias" about dogs.  How is Disney going to handle that, unless they put aside and entire wing, building, or loop just for pet people.

If someone is afraid of a dog and one gets on an elevator or stairway with them, they might have a meltdown.

Someone has already posted on a FB site that dogs at Art are going to ruin their sons vacation because of his phobia and it's not fair.I

We've been to the Fort more than once and had to listen to a barking/crying dog all day long.  It's not a pleasant way to spend a vacation.

I think.Disney has opened up a big ol can of worms with this decision.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

First off, I'm not a dog hater.  Have had a few over the years.

It's not just a matter of cleaning rooms and yappy dogs.

There are people with various stages of "phobias" about dogs.  How is Disney going to handle that, unless they put aside and entire wing, building, or loop just for pet people.

If someone is afraid of a dog and one gets on an elevator or stairway with them, they might have a meltdown.

Someone has already posted on a FB site that dogs at Art are going to ruin their sons vacation because of his phobia and it's not fair.I

We've been to the Fort more than once and had to listen to a barking/crying dog all day long.  It's not a pleasant way to spend a vacation.

I think.Disney has opened up a big ol can of worms with this decision.

This***

one of the problems is that people think

"it's my vacation and I'll do what I want regardless of others!  Besides my dog is a good dog and never barks or jumps up on people or anything.  It's other people's dog that cause the problems."   

I may be alone but I don't like strange dogs. Probably because I was bit by a dog as a child by a dog who's never bit anyone before.   And o don't think it's fair that I have to deal with others dog at Home Depot, at Sam's club or the countless other places people feel they have the right to bring their dogs  

I feel your rights end when they interfere with others rights.    And when I have to walk around your dog or down another aisle in a place of business.  Or listen to or smell your dog at a hotel,  well you have interfered with my rights.  

22 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Us too - we loved our pet and for 8 years she acted like the world was coming to an end when she even saw the suitcases come out - but she adored the local kid who came in 3 and 4 times a day to walk, feed and play with her - who would take her home with him and sometimes to school for the whole class to play with.  

She hated car travel so would have been miserable in the van all the way to the Fort and back.  We were fortunate enough to be able to have a wonderful arrangement that kept her right here at home up until she was no more.  We could go away for weeks at a time knowing she was safe, well cared for and happy.

IMHO I don't agree with the way people's pets get dragged everywhere from Costco to Home Depot, to the local mall.  

I also think this is going to open a whole can of worms that Disney will regret.  

Again, it's only my thoughts, but I think the only animals that should be allowed, hotels or parks, are the genuine service animals that do provide mobilitly and other services to their owners.  They are a real blessing and should probably be allowed WITHOUT CHARGE.   

On the other hand the "poochies"  (love that word) like the set of large white poodles with dyed fur we see at MK occasionaly need to be left home.  I really do not believe they are particularily happy dealing with the crowds and noises when they are out.  And I suspect that they are there more to satisfy the egos of their owner.

Sorry if I offended anyone - again it's just my thought.  

It's pretty simple. If you don't like their rules don't go. 

Does a business, that relies on profits, try to cater to a large group of people like dog owners. Or do they try to make allowances for the much smaller universes of "phobias" or "severe allergies"?  This is not a philosophical, philanthropic, or humanitarian decision. It's about profitability. If the company loses money, it won't be around for anybody long.

It's amazing the number of complaints before anyone actually witnesses the implementation. I will reserve judgment until then.

I've been wondering since Irma if there might be some form of this because the general comments I've seen about dogs evacuated to the Disney hotels were positive. I am surprised it is as big as this, I thought they might just designate a few of the cabins at the fort pet friendly since the dog parks are already in place.

Lots of talk about this on various Facebook groups, and it does seem that some of the comments are down to people thinking that everyone does Disney like they do. In other words not staying in the parks from rope drop to closing.

I don't have a dog at the moment. However we have a cabin booked for Thanksgiving and my wife's cousin may or may not be joining us. Hopefully by that point she'll have found a dog sitter she likes, but I have mentioned this to her. Given this would pretty much be a one of for us and the trip is about getting away and not really doing the parks I would consider this, but would also consider switching to a campsite and renting a pet friendly camper in this instance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Does a business, that relies on profits, try to cater to a large group of people like dog owners. Or do they try to make allowances for the much smaller universes of "phobias" or "severe allergies"?  This is not a philosophical, philanthropic, or humanitarian decision. It's about profitability. If the company loses money, it won't be around for anybody long.

It's amazing the number of complaints before anyone actually witnesses the implementation. I will reserve judgment until then.

So if we use your logic we shouldn't talk about anything Disney does. 

"Wow!  Disney raised the prices on park tickets."

"Fort management allows non-resort guest to go to Chip n dales campfire!"

Isn't this forum a place where we can talk about all things Disney?  Good and bad. What we agree with and what we don't. 

Drop anchor Ray. I NEVER said "don't talk about it". Those are your words.

It's your choice as to how the economics of the situation are ingerpreted.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, it is that simple. If typing on a chat forum makes you feel better, by all means.  

9 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Drop anchor Ray. I NEVER said "don't talk about it". Those are your words.

It's your choice as to how the economics of the situation are ingerpreted.

Whether you choose to believe it or not, it is that simple. If typing on a chat forum makes you feel better, by all means.  

It seems that you took my post personally and I can see why you would after I read it.  So I apologize.  
BTW, I never said you said "don't talk about it." As you quoted me as saying. 

That being said, I do disagree with your conclusion.  
 Because, your statement asserts that the only legitimate way to handle this situation is to not go to Disney.   
Well I respectfully disagree with that statements conclusion.  
There are many ways we can handle this situation.  And one is what we do on this forum everyday. We discuss it.  We air our differences and concerns.   
And we don't dismiss others feelings.    

And some might say what good is there in talking?
Well I believe there are some upper management types at WDW that read some of these forums and perhaps they will read our concerns and address them before they become a problem. 

"So, let us not be blind to our differences--but let us also direct attention to our common interests and to the means by which those differences can be resolved."
JFK

17 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:
It seems that you took my post personally and I can see why you would after I read it.  So I apologize.   But I never said you said "don't talk about it." As you quoted me as saying. 

However, I do disagree with your conclusion.  
 Because, your statement asserts that the only legitimate way to handle this situation is to not go to Disney.   
Well I respectfully disagree with that statements conclusion.  
There are many ways we can handle this situation.  And one is what we do on this forum everyday. We discuss it.  We air our differences and concerns.   
And we don't dismiss others feelings.    

And some might say what good is there in talking?
Well I believe there are some upper management types at WDW that read some of these forums and perhaps they will read our concerns and address them before they become a problem. 

"So, let us not be blind to our differences--but let us also direct attention to our common interests and to the means by which those differences can be resolved."
JFK

Fair enough.

We can have a difference of opinion.  In fact, I enjoy discussing the Fort on this forum, and have been doing it awhile.

However, I still contend that the laws of supply and demand will always trump a couple of guys chatting on a forum. Maybe I'm wrong and too simplistic.

LOL!!!  Oh you wait, if this takes off, I won't be at all surprised if Disney starts offering an in-room pet sitting service.  For the low low price...  [emoji6]

It's already been mentioned in some of the release info from Disney... extra services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we've owned dogs we've always arranged for their care at home or a kennel.

What I can't see coming out of this is the long term or short term for that matter desirability of rooms. Let's forgo the replaceable stuff like furniture that a dog might damage while the owners are gone. Instead how many dogs will have accidents of various types. No matter how you clean the carpets not all of it comes out and the smells will build up. The floors underneath are concrete and will absorb fluids as well. Even if they use a flooring like Pergo the fluids will work into the cracks. Unless they use something like linoleum or epoxy painted floors I can't see how the rooms won't begin to stink after a while. Even if I owned a pet I don't think I would put up with that. 

Another concern is how will the dog react to being in a room that has belonged to so many others? I could see this bringing out poor behavior as the dog tries to figure out where they are all coming from. Some dogs I have known would become really hyperactive trying to figure out where all of those other dogs have come from. I also suspect it would make one of my oldest daughter's dog become aggressive  as she becomes very protective around other dogs.

Lastly, how do you handle barkers? Not all owners care that their dogs bark. What if it yaps for hours while the owner is at the parks? Does Disney go in to remove them? Will FP's really compensate the neighboring room that has to put up with it? I just don't think it is a good idea as the negatives just don't outweigh the positives from my perspective.

I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. It's one value resort, one moderate and one deluxe resort and then the Fort. If someone doesn't want to stay at a resort where dogs could be seen or be in a room a dog may have been in pick one of the other resorts, simple as that. If someone already has a reservation at a resort that will now be taking pets simply call customer service explain nicely why you don't want to or can't stay in that resort and I'm sure they will do something to get you into another equal resort.

It's not like all of Disney is going to be overrun with dogs, it's 4 resorts one of which already allowed pets in half of it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My 3 yr old is horribly terrified of dogs (neighbor's dog got out and jumped on her) like insanely scared of them. If we'd ever be in an elevator and someone with an untrained dog came and sniffed her, I don't even want to think of what that would do to her. 

As long as it's only at one resort of each level, we can deal with it and just avoid them. But if it ever goes to allowing it at all Disney resorts we will never stay on property again. That kills me but with 2 of my family members super allergic and one scared to death of dogs, it wouldn't make for a fun trip.

3 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I guess I just don't get what the big deal is. It's one value resort, one moderate and one deluxe resort and then the Fort. If someone doesn't want to stay at a resort where dogs could be seen or be in a room a dog may have been in pick one of the other resorts, simple as that. If someone already has a reservation at a resort that will now be taking pets simply call customer service explain nicely why you don't want to or can't stay in that resort and I'm sure they will do something to get you into another equal resort.

It's not like all of Disney is going to be overrun with dogs, it's 4 resorts one of which already allowed pets in half of it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

What you say is true, and no one knows how Disney is going to handle this at this point in time. They may have some super plan all worked out so dog lovers and dog avoiders never cross paths.

Will they be vigilant handling abusers, or is it going to be the Fort set of rules that are enforced when the spirit moves them.

Also just like the people on this forum prefer certain loops and get upset if they don't get it, there are tons of people that prefer certain resorts and are going to be highly upset if they have to give up their favorite one due to issues with dogs.