Dogs to be allowed at some WDW Resort Hotels + Fort Wilderness Cabins

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand that. It's a shame that Disney management is once again so short-sighted about this.  It would not be that hard to designate pet cabins and non-pet cabins, and enforce the rules.  Bu

I forgot to post the most important photo of all- Rocky enjoying the cabin porch: Note that he is wearing his official $100 bandana. TCD

That is bizarre. Lol.  Omg.  It's amazing what the average person will spend on there fur baby. Trust me it's not just the 1%ers. There will be animals at ever resort.  Including the value resort

12 hours ago, Travisma said:

I wish they would define the specific areas where the dogs are allowed.  The rules mention "public areas" (third item), "public spaces" (item 8), while in item 9 they mention that only service dogs are allowed in "Food and Beverage locations, the Club Lounge, Pool Areas, Fitness Centers and other public Guest areas".  I wonder how "other public guest areas" differs from the public areas and public spaces mentioned in the other rules.  Will the dogs be allowed to be walked in the lobby of the Yacht Club?  A service dog would be one thing, but in other cases, such as my late Golden Lab, dogs may have issues with a lot of people in a closed space.  My Lab was an amazing dog, but she would tend to get excited around a lot of people, more out of friendliness than anything else, but she still would not have belonged there.

Also, maybe someone can answer this since I don't know at all.  Do normal service animal rules and special access require a "license"?  I never heard of a licensed service animal, and thought all anybody needed to do was get a vest.  I think a license, as long as it was a free or inexpensive license, would be great since it would help protect those who actually need a service animal from those who simply use the term as a means to take their dogs everywhere with them.

2 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

I wish they would define the specific areas where the dogs are allowed.  The rules mention "public areas" (third item), "public spaces" (item 8), while in item 9 they mention that only service dogs are allowed in "Food and Beverage locations, the Club Lounge, Pool Areas, Fitness Centers and other public Guest areas".  I wonder how "other public guest areas" differs from the public areas and public spaces mentioned in the other rules.  Will the dogs be allowed to be walked in the lobby of the Yacht Club?  A service dog would be one thing, but in other cases, such as my late Golden Lab, dogs may have issues with a lot of people in a closed space.  My Lab was an amazing dog, but she would tend to get excited around a lot of people, more out of friendliness than anything else, but she still would not have belonged there.

Also, maybe someone can answer this since I don't know at all.  Do normal service animal rules and special access require a "license"?  I never heard of a licensed service animal, and thought all anybody needed to do was get a vest.  I think a,license, as long as it was a free or inexpensive license, would be great since it would help protect those who actually need a service animal from those who simply use the term as a means to take their dogs everywhere with them.

I don't know every stipulation of the rules, but a true service animal (guide dogs for the blind) I think they do have a license (or at least paperwork). But that doesn't mean the owner has it on them at all times.

What has happened the last few years is the proliferation of emotional support/comfort animals(not just dogs).  These are the ones you see sitting in shopping carts or getting carried around inside stores.  They for the most part are not true service animals and I think can be banned from going into stores, planes, etc, but most businesses turn a blind eye because they can't ask for proof that it's a "trained" animal and they don't want to upset the customer.

With more and more people getting "stressed out" over every little thing, everyone will be toting around some sort of emotional support animal.

And before the pitchforks and torches crowd comes after me, I know that there are some true emotional support animals out there.  But the majority seem like they are just someone wanting to take Poopsie shopping with them because they will tear up the house if left alone.

40 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Also, maybe someone can answer this since I don't know at all.  Do normal service animal rules and special access require a "license"?  I never heard of a licensed service animal, and thought all anybody needed to do was get a vest.  I think a license, as long as it was a free or inexpensive license, would be great since it would help protect those who actually need a service animal from those who simply use the term as a means to take their dogs everywhere with them.

Basically you cannot ask for proof. Straight from the US Gov. ADA website:

"Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability. "

Edit:
I don't know of any government entity that doesn't require dogs to be license and to display their tags. I don't see why a special tag couldn't be issued for animals that qualify for special treatment under the ADA. It would clear up the whole question and stop the many lying owners who make it bad for people with legitimate needs. We do it for handicapped parking without complaint and this isn't really any different. 

13 hours ago, Travisma said:

This is the map posted by WDWMAGIC for the Fort:

Dog Policies and Dog Relief Areas at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

I assume that this means that only the 2200 and 2300 loops will be pet loops?

And, I'll bet that means that pets will be allowed in any of the cabins on those loops.

That stinks for anyone who wanted to be in 2200 or 2300 to be close to the action in the main part of the campground.  They won't have the option of staying away from dogs or being in a cabin that hasn't been used by dogs.

But, it might be good for the rest of the cabin people who don't want to be around dogs.

However, if they enforce the cabin pet rules the way they enforce the camping loop pet rules, then dogs will probably be in all of the cabin loops.

TCD

53 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Basically you cannot ask for proof. Straight from the US Gov. ADA website:

"Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability. "

Edit:
I don't know of any government entity that doesn't require dogs to be license and to display their tags. I don't see why a special tag couldn't be issued for animals that qualify for special treatment under the ADA. It would clear up the whole question and stop the many lying owners who make it bad for people with legitimate needs. We do it for handicapped parking without complaint and this isn't really any different. 

Maybe the rules will change in the future with the proliferation of comfort animals, that aren't specifically a trained service animal.

It is odd that you don't have to have proof that the animal is a true service animal.  The proof wouldn't have to list what kind it is, so there wouldn't be a HIPPA violation.

I am just assuming here but I would think anyone that has a true service animal would be more than happy to have their animal display an official "badge". I can't imagine what a headache it is for them with people pretending their animals are legit, having bad behavior and then causing a bad rep for service animals and making things more difficult for them.

5 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I am just assuming here but I would think anyone that has a true service animal would be more than happy to have their animal display an official "badge". I can't imagine what a headache it is for them with people pretending their animals are legit, having bad behavior and then causing a bad rep for service animals and making things more difficult for them.

All very true!  

Unfortunately the law doesn't allow businesses to ask for certification.  The people I know with true service animals would be happy to provide it and wish that it was required. Their dogs are incredibly well trained and chosen specifically for the temperament required to perform their duties in all kinds of situations out in the world - which includes being in crowds of people and crazy situations, and still remaining calm and focused on their handler. 

Sadly the people that abuse the system take advantage of the fact that they know they can't be asked for proof (but more often than not, the dog's behavior gives them away). 

A lot of the same things can be said for responsible vs irresponsible pet dog owners.  The responsible ones know their dogs well, manage their behavior so that they don't negatively impact others, don't put them in situations they know they can't handle, and don't assume everyone else loves their dogs as much as they do. In my experience (and I know a LOT of dog people) the irresponsible ones are a very small percentage.

But then that's all things really.  There are people that are just generally considerate of other people and those that aren't.

The one thing I think bodes well for all this is that Disney isn't the first to do this by a long shot.  As we've talked about, other hotel chains and resorts have been doing this for ages and presumably they've found ways to manage it so that it works for the majority of people.  Disney wants to make money. The extra $50 a night they will charge for a pet will not balance out $300-$800+ a night reservations they may lose if they don't manage all this well. 

We have decided to bring Jedi with us for Christmas. We are in one of the Cabin's at the Fort on this trip. I am hopeful that people who choose to do this as we are will be by and large responsible pet owners as we are and take good care to minimize impact to others. Assuming we don't see a first hand report back before then I will be sure to give my thoughts on how this goes. It will probably be a one time things for us due to the cost but I know I am looking forward to having him with us for Christmas. 

13 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

We have decided to bring Jedi with us for Christmas. We are in one of the Cabin's at the Fort on this trip. I am hopeful that people who choose to do this as we are will be by and large responsible pet owners as we are and take good care to minimize impact to others. Assuming we don't see a first hand report back before then I will be sure to give my thoughts on how this goes. It will probably be a one time things for us due to the cost but I know I am looking forward to having him with us for Christmas. 

Awesome!  Lucky Jedi!

What is the procedure for guests who want to bring pets?  How is it added to the reservation?  Is the extra fee added to the one-night deposit amount, or is it paid at check-in?

TCD

I am going to double check it was done correctly in the next day or so. 

Has to be called in as there is no way I have found on even a new reservation to request this. They notate the reservation asking me how many dogs I was bringing. The fee is due on arrival.  

Just a curious question with the $50 a day extra fee how does that compare to say boarding your dog near home?  I know a lot of people are against boarding for many reasons just trying to do a comparison. Oh and this is another reason I tell my wife no pets!!!!! To much planning and I myself do not like being on a schedule to return to take care of one, not that I don't like dogs, when camping we always walk after dinner to let her get her dog loving in, lol

5 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Just a curious question with the $50 a day extra fee how does that compare to say boarding your dog near home?  I know a lot of people are against boarding for many reasons just trying to do a comparison. Oh and this is another reason I tell my wife no pets!!!!! To much planning and I myself do not like being on a schedule to return to take care of one, not that I don't like dogs, when camping we always walk after dinner to let her get her dog loving in, lol

in discussions on this I have seen anywhere from $25-60. With Jedi he doesnt not board well. We joke he needs to much love for kennels. He won't eat and has lots of accidents due to being nervous. We have some phenomenal friends who have watched him for us when we have had to travel with out him. 

And I vouch that Rennie does like dogs. I have a picture of him and Jedi together. :-D

1 minute ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

And I vouch that Rennie does like dogs. I have a picture of him and Jedi together. :-D

Yup that was funny, your dog dropped you like a bad habit that day!!!!!!!!!!

49 minutes ago, Beckers said:

My wife and I were at Disney and someone was sitting with a service dog in training, a legitimate one.  My wife started talking with the woman, and they mentioned how an organization for service dogs for the blind is fighting for legitimate certification for service dogs.  She said that the phony service dogs are really making it difficult for people who really need them.

We had a local minor league baseball team that offered a peanut free suite, this was the only way we could safely go watch baseball. You could buy regular tickets and then tell them you needed to be in the peanut free area. It was easy until people got wind of it and stared to abuse it. We went to one game and they told us we needed a dr's note to sit there. I didn't have one because it wasn't needed before. They were giving me a hard time about it until I started pulling meds out of my bags and offers to log into my medical charts to show them. Like everything else it just takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of the people.

13 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Has to be called in as there is no way I have found on even a new reservation to request this. They notate the reservation asking me how many dogs I was bringing. The fee is due on arrival.  

Thanks.

I am toying with the idea of a quick cabin stay for research purposes.  I made an on-line reservation this morning- of course there is nothing in the on-line reservation process to indicate if a guest wishes to bring a dog.  The official Disney site for the Cabins has been updated with this language:

Dog-Friendly Accommodations

Bring your pampered pooch to stay with you at The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort.

Here at Walt Disney World Resort, we know that dogs aren’t simply pets—they’re members of your family. And since family is at the heart of everything we do, for a limited time, your furry friends are welcome to join you at select Disney Resort hotels. Let the tail wagging commence!

Note: Limit 2 dogs per room. Restrictions and fees apply.

How to Book
To bring your dog along on your upcoming visit, please call (407) 939-7539. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Services for Guests with Dogs
During your stay, Best Friends Pet Care can provide assistance with dog walking, day care and other pet services (fees apply). For details, please call (877) 4-WDW-PETS or (877) 493-9738, or visit bestfriendspetcare.com. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

I called the number provided, and was on hold for 21 minutes before I spoke to the representative.  Naturally, he had to "pull up the information on pets,"  and then proceeded to read the same rules that were published above.  Word for word.  The whole thing.  When he got to the part about the $50 per night fee, he had to put me on hold to check with "Guest Services" to see if the fee was to be paid now or at the resort.  After another 20 minute hold, the reservation agent confirmed that the pet charges are paid at check-in.  He said he added the dog to the reservation, but he said there was no way for me to see that- it's only a note on the reservation.

Among the things he read off to me is that the pet must have proper vaccinations, and that the guest must show proof if asked. But, there was no clarification about what vaccinations are required. or what type of proof is accepted. I really think that ought to be clarified.

All told, it took me almost an hour on the phone to add Rocky to my cabin reservation, and I'm not even sure if he was added, as there is no way to confirm it.

TCD

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I wonder if saying this is a year-long "test" is Disney's way of saying "it's going to take us that long to update the reservation system for this?

50 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Yup that was funny, your dog dropped you like a bad habit that day!!!!!!!!!!

49 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I do think though you had offered him Bacon if I recall?

He is indeed a wise Jedi.  ;)

40 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

...an organization for service dogs for the blind is fighting for legitimate certification for service dogs.  She said that the phony service dogs are really making it difficult for people who really need them.

36 minutes ago, Beckers said:

W...It was easy until people got wind of it and stared to abuse it. We went to one game and they told us we needed a dr's note to sit there. I didn't have one because it wasn't needed before. ...Like everything else it just takes a few bad apples to ruin it for the rest of the people.

Argh!!  Incredibly selfish of people to take advantage and ruin things for the people that really need them. 

21 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks.

I am toying with the idea of a quick cabin stay for research purposes.  I made an on-line reservation this morning- of course there is nothing in the on-line reservation process to indicate if a guest wishes to bring a dog.  The official Disney site for the Cabins has been updated with this language:

Dog-Friendly Accommodations

Bring your pampered pooch to stay with you at The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort.

Here at Walt Disney World Resort, we know that dogs aren’t simply pets—they’re members of your family. And since family is at the heart of everything we do, for a limited time, your furry friends are welcome to join you at select Disney Resort hotels. Let the tail wagging commence!

Note: Limit 2 dogs per room. Restrictions and fees apply.

How to Book
To bring your dog along on your upcoming visit, please call (407) 939-7539. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Services for Guests with Dogs
During your stay, Best Friends Pet Care can provide assistance with dog walking, day care and other pet services (fees apply). For details, please call (877) 4-WDW-PETS or (877) 493-9738, or visit bestfriendspetcare.com. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

I called the number provided, and was on hold for 21 minutes before I spoke to the representative.  Naturally, he had to "pull up the information on pets,"  and then proceeded to read the same rules that were published above.  Word for word.  The whole thing.  When he got to the part about the $50 per night fee, he had to put me on hold to check with "Guest Services" to see if the fee was to be paid now or at the resort.  After another 20 minute hold, the reservation agent confirmed that the pet charges are paid at check-in.  He said he added the dog to the reservation, but he said there was no way for me to see that- it's only a note on the reservation.

Among the things he read off to me is that the pet must have proper vaccinations, and that the guest must show proof if asked. But, there was no clarification about what vaccinations are required. or what type of proof is accepted. I really think that ought to be clarified.

All told, it took me almost an hour on the phone to add Rocky to my cabin reservation, and I'm not even sure if he was added, as there is no way to confirm it.

TCD

Thanks for the update, TCD.  That must have been added in the last couple of days. I couldn't find it there on Friday.

I'd imagine they're only going to require a rabies vax as that's the one that most (all?) states require by law.  In other campgrounds we've been to that require proof, they want to see the official signed rabies vax certificate from the vet - the one that gets registered with the state.

Interestingly enough, while we always have their vet records on us (we actually keep them in the truck), I don't think Disney has ever asked to see them at check in before.  I wonder if that will change now?

20 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Thanks for the update, TCD.  That must have been added in the last couple of days. I couldn't find it there on Friday.

I'd imagine they're only going to require a rabies vax as that's the one that most (all?) states require by law.  In other campgrounds we've been to that require proof, they want to see the official signed rabies vax certificate from the vet - the one that gets registered with the state.

Interestingly enough, while we always have their vet records on us (we actually keep them in the truck), I don't think Disney has ever asked to see them at check in before.  I wonder if that will change now?

The WDW on-site kennel, Best Friends, actually requires written proof of vaccinations to be sent to them before they will confirm a reservation.  I tried to make a reservation for Rocky last year, and there was a vaccination that he did not have- I'll have to go back and look at what it was- our vet is pretty thorough, and the one Best Friends was looking for is one that our vet felt was not necessary, so it was more than just a rabies shot for them.

Here's what Best Friends requires:

To comply with State guidelines, pets must have proof of current vaccinations from a licensed veterinarian. Requirement for dogs: Rabies, Distemper combo, Bordetella and a negative fecal test within the last 12 months.

As far as the Fort goes, I've never been asked for shot records.

TCD

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

All very true!  

Unfortunately the law doesn't allow businesses to ask for certification.  The people I know with true service animals would be happy to provide it and wish that it was required. Their dogs are incredibly well trained and chosen specifically for the temperament required to perform their duties in all kinds of situations out in the world - which includes being in crowds of people and crazy situations, and still remaining calm and focused on their handler. 

Sadly the people that abuse the system take advantage of the fact that they know they can't be asked for proof (but more often than not, the dog's behavior gives them away). 

I hate to admit it but I catch myself looking down at some "service dog" owners.  Then I realize that they might be legitimate service dogs and feel bad.  

But ive seen to many bad behaving "service dogs."   

I presume if I wanted to add a dog the cabin you have booked for me, that's something you could do?

Alex

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, slices said:

I presume if I wanted to add a dog the cabin you have booked for me, that's something you could do?

Alex

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sure is. Just send me an email and I can call them up and add that.