Dogs to be allowed at some WDW Resort Hotels + Fort Wilderness Cabins

23 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I'm curious.  But why do people take their dogs with them everywhere they go?  

Are there some fiends that take their dog(s) to Walmart or Home Depot?   No condemnation, just curious as to why you do.  I'd like to hear your side. 

For us Jedi doesn't go everywhere. When we travel he does come with us and if a place is pet friendly we evaluate on a case by case basis whether it would be something worth taking him to or if he will react badly to it. 

For us it's more about keeping his routine similar to home. He has a collapsible crate with a blanket over it that is his space. It travels with us everywhere even camping. When we stay somewhere in a hotel he stays in the crate when we are out just as he would at home. 

If we need to stop somewhere that isn't pet friendly in our travels and he is in the car we take turns saying using the bathroom and walking him in dog walks at rest areas. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand that. It's a shame that Disney management is once again so short-sighted about this.  It would not be that hard to designate pet cabins and non-pet cabins, and enforce the rules.  Bu

I forgot to post the most important photo of all- Rocky enjoying the cabin porch: Note that he is wearing his official $100 bandana. TCD

That is bizarre. Lol.  Omg.  It's amazing what the average person will spend on there fur baby. Trust me it's not just the 1%ers. There will be animals at ever resort.  Including the value resort

28 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

For us Jedi doesn't go everywhere. When we travel he does come with us and if a place is pet friendly we evaluate on a case by case basis whether it would be something worth taking him to or if he will react badly to it. 

For us it's more about keeping his routine similar to home. He has a collapsible crate with a blanket over it that is his space. It travels with us everywhere even camping. When we stay somewhere in a hotel he stays in the crate when we are out just as he would at home. 

If we need to stop somewhere that isn't pet friendly in our travels and he is in the car we take turns saying using the bathroom and walking him in dog walks at rest areas. 

Thanks.  

Ricky Bobby doesn't travel with us at all.  He gets car sick and needs a valuim just to go to the vet or groomers.

Chi Chi only travels with us when we will be at the lake for more than just a weekend.  Other than then that they stay home with my MIL.  

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

To comply with State guidelines, pets must have proof of current vaccinations from a licensed veterinarian. Requirement for dogs: Rabies, Distemper combo, Bordetella and a negative fecal test within the last 12 months.

As far as the Fort goes, I've never been asked for shot records.

TCD

Kennel situations generally require more "stuff" because of the close quarters and dogs interacting with each other.  The rabies, distemper combo (which usually includes Parvo and Lepto) don't surprise me.  Ditto the Bordetella (aka kennel cough) as it's highly contagious.  The fecal is unusual, but again I get it for a situation where you have a lot of dogs in the same space and there are a lot of parasites that are spread via feces (apologizing to anyone eating lunch LOL)

In my experience hotels/campgrounds don't usually have so many requirements since your dog isn't going to be interacting with a lot of other dogs.

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I hate to admit it but I catch myself looking down at some "service dog" owners.  Then I realize that they might be legitimate service dogs and feel bad.  

But ive seen to many bad behaving "service dogs."   

Yeah, that's the problem in a nutshell.  People abusing the system with dogs that aren't trained/equipped to be in a public setting like a properly selected/trained service dog.  

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I'm curious.  But why do people take their dogs with them everywhere they go?  

Are there some fiends that take their dog(s) to Walmart or Home Depot?   No condemnation, just curious as to why you do.  I'd like to hear your side. 

I can't speak for everyone, but when our dogs were young we took them to as many places as we could to help socialize them.  The more good experiences they had with people/places/things as young dogs, the less issues they tend to develop later on.

We've never felt the need to take them to a bunch of public places as they got older.  We know they're settled and content at home, and usually only bring them with us if we'll be away too long for them to be home on their own. Early on we would take them to places like Petco, until we realized that the place was full of clueless dog owners who couldn't/didn't handle their dogs well.

But that said, I have wacky border collies and I know their limits. Brady wasn't good with strange dogs, Bz isn't good with young kids, and Lyn... well the world at large pretty much freaks her out unless you're throwing her a frisbee.  ;)

But if I did have dogs with solid temperaments, I could see bringing them along to dog-friendly place just for the opportunity for *them* to get out and about.  Dogs lives tend to be very "small" and some dogs never see anything beyond their house and their yard.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but a dog (that can handle it) can get a lot out of new experiences.  Just the chance to walk around somewhere new - smell all the smells, see new things, meet new people - that can be very enriching for a dog that is able to take all that in without being freaked out by it. I have friends that live in the city with dogs and a huge part of those dogs' lives is going places.

That said, I would never make the assumption that everyone else in the world wants to interact with my dogs.  In fact we avoid it with people we don't know unless the situation is such that we can manage things properly - i.e., no kids rushing up to them, no random strangers just reaching for them, etc.

The dogs always come camping with us - they're actually why we got into camping. We decided early on that we weren't comfortable leaving our wacky dogs in a kennel, and we tried leaving them with family early on and that didn't go so well (see "wacky dogs).  So we made the choice that vacations = camping and camping = dogs. But we also make accommodations to make sure they're happy and comfortable and not bothering our neighbors.

12 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

Boy, I hope Jedi and Rocks friends don't get jealous.

Bandit and Thor go everywhere with me that rules allow. They especially like the occasional trip through Starbucks drive thru. They get pup cups.

FYI, it's called a puppachino.   Pup cups is what they call ice cream for dogs at Dairy Queen.

TCD

12 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

Boy, I hope Jedi and Rocks friends don't get jealous.

Bandit and Thor go everywhere with me that rules allow. They especially like the occasional trip through Starbucks drive thru. They get pup cups.

Our credit union drive thru has lollipops for the kids and Milk Bones for the dogs or vice versa depending on the kids and dogs in the car together.

12 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I like that you know this.  :)

So does Rocky ;)

But, we have to watch it, he's a bit lactose intolerant.

8 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Our credit union drive thru has lollipops for the kids and Milk Bones for the dogs or vice versa depending on the kids and dogs in the car together.

Our Chick-Fil-A has dog bones in the drive through.  But Rocky has perfected the right puppy dog face to score a nugget.

TCD

1 minute ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

So does Rocky ;)

But, we have to watch it, he's a bit lactose intolerant.

Our Chick-Fil-A has dog bones in the drive through.  But Rocky has perfected the right puppy dog face to score a nugget.

TCD

Bank drive throughs around here have dog biscuits too, and some Dunkin Donuts will give you plain munchkins for dogs.

When we had our first border collie Maggie, she just rode loose in the SUV (back before we realized how dangerous it was).

One of my favorite memories is going through the bank drive through and the nice lady handing her a biscuit.  She took it politely and promptly buried it in the back seat.  Apparently it wasn't up to her cookie standards but she didn't want to be rude.  LOL

Another was going through the Dunkin drive through and her coming up and squishing her head through on my left so that she made sure she got her munchkins.

4 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

To much planning and I myself do not like being on a schedule to return to take care of one, not that I don't like dogs, when camping we always walk after dinner to let her get her dog loving in, lol

This is why Rene and I have decided against a dog. We had dogs and other pets when the girls were younger but the planning for pet care fit right in with having to plan everything else due to the kids. Now that the kids are adults we like the freedom of not having to worry about what we need to do if we want to stay out late or decide to turn the day trip into an overnight. We also have children and neighbors with dogs if we feel the need for animal contact. In fact when she was still alive one neighbor's border collie actually seemed to like us better than them. All of the Frisbee tosses in the world wouldn't stop her from coming over to our house for hours if she heard us outside. Even their current chocolate lab will stop over to say hello. However much like grandkids we can send them home and let the owners/parents deal with the dirty stuff. 

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

...We also have children and neighbors with dogs if we feel the need for animal contact. In fact when she was still alive one neighbor's border collie actually seemed to like us better than them. All of the Frisbee tosses in the world wouldn't stop her from coming over to our house for hours if she heard us outside. Even their current chocolate lab will stop over to say hello. However much like grandkids we can send them home and let the owners/parents deal with the dirty stuff. 

This is exactly what the position my in laws are in.  They would LOVE a dog, but travel a lot on the weekends and understand that it just wouldn't work for them.  So they come here and get their puppy fix when they need to. And of course my poor neglected dogs just eat up all the extra attention.  ;)

Funny about the neighbor's border collie and the frisbee.  I can totally see that happening.  We once had a very nice lady from Jehova's Witnesses knock on our front door.  Our first border collie Maggie proceeded to run around from the back yard and drop a frisbee at her feet.  She threw it... and the game was on.  LOL

We've talked about getting a border collie if we ever decide to get a dog. They are high activity but we have the space for one to run around and to be honest the extra exercise wouldn't hurt me at all.

I'm not sure what it was with Lucy. They could be outside playing with her and she would just drop everything to come over and hangout even if we weren't playing with her. It was also very common to come home to her sleeping under our covered patio table waiting for us to get back. Our neighbor George couldn't figure it out either. It all start when she was a puppy and kept up through her life. Maybe something to do with my animal magnetism. Ha. :lol: 

Having been involved in the world of hotels and the world of dogs,  I'm wondering what Disney's response will be to the people who try to dodge the pet fee,  by not declaring they have a pet, and then sneaking the dog into the resort.  Happens all the time in the standard hotels.  Once you have your key, no one will know you have a 'undeclared' dog until the maid comes to clean your 'non pet approved' room.   This will mean dog dander in supposedly clean rooms.  

Then you will have the issue with the 'sneaky' guests taking their dog with them in the car, and leaving it in the car, while they go to the parks.   You'd hope they would not do this.. but people are stupid.

I'm happy that Disney will allow me to bring my dog now, if I want to,  but I'd be happier if they required the dog to have an identifying feature so the CM's could tell at a glance that the dog was a 'registered' guest.  A tag on the leash or something.

1 hour ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

Having been involved in the world of hotels and the world of dogs,  I'm wondering what Disney's response will be to the people who try to dodge the pet fee,  by not declaring they have a pet, and then sneaking the dog into the resort.  Happens all the time in the standard hotels.  Once you have your key, no one will know you have a 'undeclared' dog until the maid comes to clean your 'non pet approved' room.   This will mean dog dander in supposedly clean rooms.  

Then you will have the issue with the 'sneaky' guests taking their dog with them in the car, and leaving it in the car, while they go to the parks.   You'd hope they would not do this.. but people are stupid.

I'm happy that Disney will allow me to bring my dog now, if I want to,  but I'd be happier if they required the dog to have an identifying feature so the CM's could tell at a glance that the dog was a 'registered' guest.  A tag on the leash or something.

They are giving a tag in the check in stuff. Maybe it will be required they have it on them?

12 hours ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

I can see it now, little Fido Magic Bands!!!!!!!!!!

19 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Kennel situations generally require more "stuff" because of the close quarters and dogs interacting with each other.  The rabies, distemper combo (which usually includes Parvo and Lepto) don't surprise me.  Ditto the Bordetella (aka kennel cough) as it's highly contagious.  The fecal is unusual, but again I get it for a situation where you have a lot of dogs in the same space and there are a lot of parasites that are spread via feces (apologizing to anyone eating lunch LOL)

The fecal is the one that was not shown on the vaccination record from the vet.  The test was done, but it isn't a vaccination, so the vet didn't show it.

One new set of shots Rocky had to get this year was for the dog flu.  Two shots for that.  The vet had a sign in the office saying it was mandatory for any dog that was going to be treated at the facility.  I wonder if Disney and/or Best Friends requires that?

16 hours ago, caveat lector said:

We don't stand on formalities like you southerners.

Hang on here.  Aren't you from Missouri?  Isn't the University of Missouri in the Southeast Conference for sports?  Y'all ain't southerners?

2 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

I can see it now, little Fido Magic Bands!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, that could be done.  The new Magic Bands have those removable pucks, which would be easy enough to hang from a dog collar.

TCD

13 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The fecal is the one that was not shown on the vaccination record from the vet.  The test was done, but it isn't a vaccination, so the vet didn't show it.

One new set of shots Rocky had to get this year was for the dog flu.  Two shots for that.  The vet had a sign in the office saying it was mandatory for any dog that was going to be treated at the facility.  I wonder if Disney and/or Best Friends requires that?

Hang on here.  Aren't you from Missouri?  Isn't the University of Missouri in the Southeast Conference for sports?  Y'all ain't southerners?

Actually, that could be done.  The new Magic Bands have those removable pucks, which would be easy enough to hang from a dog collar.

TCD

But the pucks need a holder, and they aren't going to give those away when they charge $13 in the parks for one that falls apart after an hour.

20 minutes ago, Travisma said:

But the pucks need a holder, and they aren't going to give those away when they charge $13 in the parks for one that falls apart after an hour.

Good point.  We need to remember that this is a "pilot" program. That's code for a cash grab.  That $50/night charge is supposed to be mostly profit.  So, they give away a few "free" things that probably cost less than $5.  The rest goes in their pockets.  As I said upthread, there's no way that the cleaning fee is going to be used for any extra cleaning.  That would cut into the profits.

TCD

17 hours ago, keith_h said:

I'm not sure what it was with Lucy. They could be outside playing with her and she would just drop everything to come over and hangout even if we weren't playing with her. It was also very common to come home to her sleeping under our covered patio table waiting for us to get back. Our neighbor George couldn't figure it out either. It all start when she was a puppy and kept up through her life. Maybe something to do with my animal magnetism. Ha. :lol: 

We had an electric fence with our first border collie.  She was super boundary sensitive and would never consider busting through it.  She was also super smart and somehow figured out when the battery in the collar died and she'd make a beeline for the kids across the street.  BCs know who their friends are.  :)

15 hours ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

If I'm not mistaken, that's actually illegal in FL.  I don't know if they actively patrol the lots, but I've seen plenty of reports (especially in the summer) of people being busted for leaving dogs in their cars in WDW lots.

13 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

They are giving a tag in the check in stuff. Maybe it will be required they have it on them?

I smell a whole new line of adorable dog collar accessories!!

I've only see places require it when there's been a pretty bad outbreak in the area.  Dog flu is contagious but not particularly serious for healthy dogs.  Every once in a while they'll be an outbreak up here at an agility trial or other dog event.

We try to keep the vax to a minimum, especially since our dogs are older now. They get the rabies vax (required by state law), and we do titer tests for distemper/parvo and booster if/when needed.  Since they're not around other dogs on a regular basis and aren't boarded, we don't worry about kennel cough or flu.  Even at the Disney dog park they're too busy chasing their ball to bother with other dogs. 

Actually if there are other dogs there, they usually end up chasing ours (or trying) and we've had owners thank us for exercising their dogs.  LOL

I'm interested in these two rules:

“Dogs…should not be left unattended in your Guest room for more than seven hours”

"Dogs should remain silent if left unattended in your Guest room. I f noise is heard, you will be called to address the noise within 30 minutes.”

Seven hours seems like a long time to leave a dog in a strange location. And may be the difference between dogs allowed at non-theme park hotels and at Disney, although as it's been pointed out Universal also allows dogs.  I can see a dog staying in a room when traveling and the dog stays with you overnight before you're on your way. But it doesn't seem like there are a lot of places where one would be away from the dog for seven hours.  

Also, it doesn't say what happens if you don't come to address the noise within 30 minutes. How reasonable is it for someone to be able to get back to the resort from a park or restaurant in 30 min?

We don't travel with our dog, although he's pretty good when riding to the vet in his crate so we probably could take him on long trips. But his behavior is lacking when he gets out in public, mainly because he gets so darned excited and looses his manners. He is a 2x shelter dog (he was adopted once and then returned due to "not meeting expectations" before we adopted him) .  Fortunately, he's a good fit for our family. He also loves going to the kennel where he can bark his fool head off and be surrounded by activity most of the day.  Kennel used to cost $18/night and now is $20. I'm one of those people who considers a vacation to also be a vacation from the dog, who started as my son's dog but is now largely my responsibility, as well as my loving adoring faithful companion. With 3 teenagers it's nice to have someone who's always glad to see me, never rolls his eyes at me or speaks to me sarcastically and is always up and ready to go in the morning without having to be told twice. 

Good point.  We need to remember that this is a "pilot" program. That's code for a cash grab.  That $50/night charge is supposed to be mostly profit.  So, they give away a few "free" things that probably cost less than $5.  The rest goes in their pockets.  As I said upthread, there's no way that the cleaning fee is going to be used for any extra cleaning.  That would cut into the profits.

TCD

And the free stuff is at checkin, probably not every night.

I keep a updated laminated copy of our dogs rabies certificate in the truck and car. Other than a receipt from the vet that's all we get as proof of shots and only lists rabies. I have never actually been asked for it at any campground or hotel including POFQ after Irma. 

The 30 mins to get back to the resort is kinda pushing it. I can say they can be very persistent when it comes to calling about a possible problem. I think I've mentioned it on here before, one time we stayed at the Fort we got a call about our trailer making a funny noise. I think our neighbors called the front desk because they knew we had a dog and thought something was wrong with our AC, luckily it turned out to just be the bathroom fan had been left on and was making a horrible noise, not enough to be a bother to anyone but did sound like it could be the AC malfunctioning. We were waiting at the Poly for a lunch reservation at Kona when the front desk called so I decided to go back and check while everyone else stayed. The front desk called several times, sent a CM out to our site who also called several times to make sure I was on my way back. It was hot out so I was panicking trying to rush back by monorail then boat (didn't think to take a cab) then of course the golf cart was at the front of the Fort because we had been at Epcot by bus then went to lunch. Made it back and everything was fine, the CM that had been at the site came back by to check and see if I was there and if everything was ok, he was from maintenance I think. All in all I'm glad they did call and glad our neighbors thought to call.  To sum it up if your dogs in a room barking they may not hold you to the 30mins but I'm sure they'll be persistent in getting you back there.

4 hours ago, Seals said:

Seven hours seems like a long time to leave a dog in a strange location.

It's a good point and one of those things where you really need to know your dog.  Our dogs are used to traveling and would do fine in their crates for 7 hours, even in a strange location, but not all dogs would be.

4 hours ago, Seals said:

Also, it doesn't say what happens if you don't come to address the noise within 30 minutes. How reasonable is it for someone to be able to get back to the resort from a park or restaurant in 30 min?

Someone that took a call seriously and headed right out when they got it could probably get back in 30 minutes-ish depending on where they were - although it might mean a cab if they don't have a car.  If you're in the middle of dinner it may mean cashing out early or sending one person in your party back - but then IMO realizing you may have to deal with dog issues that pop should really be part of your plans when you decide to bring one.

We were once at dinner at Epcot in World Showcase once when we got a call from a Minnesota number.  It was one of our neighbors in the 300 loop.  They heard our smoke detector randomly going off and got our phone number off the sticker on our door.  We were prepared to cash out and run back but he said he looked/smelled all around and couldn't detect anything amiss and thought it might just be the battery.  Then he VERY kindly offered to keep an eye on things while we finished dinner. We had a hybrid at the time and told him if anything happened to just rip open the tent ends and pull the crates out.

If we'd made a mad dash for the exit and grabbed a cab, we probably could have gotten back within 30 minutes.

My guess is they say 30 minutes because they know that while it may take people a little longer, that at least gives people a sense of urgency so they don't think "meh... I'll wander around for a while and get back there eventually."