Dogs to be allowed at some WDW Resort Hotels + Fort Wilderness Cabins

3 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I keep a updated laminated copy of our dogs rabies certificate in the truck and car. Other than a receipt from the vet that's all we get as proof of shots and only lists rabies. I have never actually been asked for it at any campground or hotel including POFQ after Irma. 

Laminating is a great idea.  We have a small folder with rabies certificates and copies of most current vet stuff in them that we keep in the truck.  We get asked for the rabies certs at our local campgrounds every single time (one place we go often even checks the dates), but we've never been asked for them at the Fort.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand that. It's a shame that Disney management is once again so short-sighted about this.  It would not be that hard to designate pet cabins and non-pet cabins, and enforce the rules.  Bu

I forgot to post the most important photo of all- Rocky enjoying the cabin porch: Note that he is wearing his official $100 bandana. TCD

That is bizarre. Lol.  Omg.  It's amazing what the average person will spend on there fur baby. Trust me it's not just the 1%ers. There will be animals at ever resort.  Including the value resort

15 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

We were once at dinner at Epcot in World Showcase once when we got a call from a Minnesota number.  It was one of our neighbors in the 300 loop.  They heard our smoke detector randomly going off and got our phone number off the sticker on our door.  We were prepared to cash out and run back but he said he looked/smelled all around and couldn't detect anything amiss and thought it might just be the battery.  Then he VERY kindly offered to keep an eye on things while we finished dinner. We had a hybrid at the time and told him if anything happened to just rip open the tent ends and pull the crates out.

Cool story.

Campers are awesome people.

TCD

7 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Hang on here.  Aren't you from Missouri?  Isn't the University of Missouri in the Southeast Conference for sports?  Y'all ain't southerners?

TCD

Busted.....you got me on a technicality.:)

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

It's a good point and one of those things where you really need to know your dog.  Our dogs are used to traveling and would do fine in their crates for 7 hours, even in a strange location, but not all dogs would be.

I suspect there are more people that won't crate their dogs than will so there will be less incentive for the dog to wait the return of their owners.

2 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I just run across an article last night on 19 states that are cracking down on fake service dogs - 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/19-states-cracking-fake-service-dogs

Interesting! I found it most interesting that a true service dog is never off leash, being held, and a purse, or a shopping cart.  Four on the floor always.

And I think the national  certification for true service dogs is a must. There’s just too many people that feel they can take their “service dog “anywhere they feel like. Regardless of the consequences. 

10 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Interesting! I found it most interesting that a true service dog is never off leash, being held, and a purse, or a shopping cart.  Four on the floor always.

And I think the national  certification for true service dogs is a must. There’s just too many people that feel they can take their “service dog “anywhere they feel like. Regardless of the consequences. 

Or "service pig or service pony".

3 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I just run across an article last night on 19 states that are cracking down on fake service dogs - 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/19-states-cracking-fake-service-dogs

Nice find MO. Good to see. Also heard that California has written a law to further dampen the market for puppy mills. There ARE good things happening all over.

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

And I think the national  certification for true service dogs is a must. 

Agreed and I know people with true service dogs that support this as well.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Or "service pig or service pony".

I wouldn't have a problem with a "service [insert 4-legged animal here]" if it was truly trained/certified as a service animal.

2 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Also heard that California has written a law to further dampen the market for puppy mills. There ARE good things happening all over.

More and more states are starting to get on that bandwagon, and it is great to see.  Unfortunately it's probably a long way off before we see anything like this happening in the states with the biggest/worst/greatest number of puppy mills, but it's still progress!

I may be getting some people upset, but I don't mean to.

I think the proliferation of "Emotional" Service Animals has given true working service animals a black eye.

And before I get tarred and feathered, I know that there are some trained emotional service animals out there, but by and large, it seems like the majority are not.

People think that because Muffy makes them happy and feel good, they are a service animal and should be allowed anywhere they want to take them.

I've seen and read about dogs that help vets cope with PTSD, but those animals have been trained.  Same thing there are dogs that can detect when a diabetics blood sugar level is going bad.  These are true service animals along with seeing eye and hearing dogs.

They have all been trained for a specific use, and have had other extensive training to obey and ignore other people/issues.

But tossing a fur baby in a shopping cart because you like company should not be allowed, and stores should be allowed to ask for some sort of license.  But that would cause the states to have to get off their collective butts and create them and certify them.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I've seen and read about dogs that help vets cope with PTSD, but those animals have been trained.  Same thing there are dogs that can detect when a diabetics blood sugar level is going bad.  These are true service animals along with seeing eye and hearing dogs.

Interesting that emotional support animals aren't covered by the ACA.  Whether they should be is probably a topic for a debate thread, but for me it comes down to the fact that a true Service Dog has been specifically selected because of their temperament and ability to perform whatever task is required. And then they're *trained* - a LOT.  They're trained not just to handle the task required, but to do that task while handling distractions and all that comes with being in a wide variety of circumstances out in the world.

The service dog in the article that was attacked by the very-much-not-a-service-dog, never even reacted to the fact that he was being attacked because he was so well trained to be focused on his handler.  I've seen a few service dogs at WDW and despite the crowds, chaos, and kids wanting to go up and pet the cute doggie, they remained 100% focused on their handlers.  

An untrained dog that is disruptive to the world at large and/or aggressive to people or other dogs - while their presence may be making their owner feel better on some level - is not "performing a service" by the very fact that they're not focused on their handler. That doesn't mean people shouldn't have pets that help them cope with the world and/or generally feel better - heck, my knuckleheads do that for me every day.  But that doesn't mean those dogs should be allowed access everywhere when they're not equipped, by temperament and/or training.

Unfortunately I think it’s too late for most businesses to crack down on non-service dogs in their business. The vast majority of dogs I see in Walmart, Lowe’s, etc. don’t even pretend to be service dogs anymore. People just bring them in the store.  Without a service dog vest or anything. IMHO the only way stores are going to crack down on non-service dogs in their stores  is when someone/some kid gets big and they sue the heck out of that store.  

30 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Unfortunately I think it’s too late for most businesses to crack down on non-service dogs in their business. The vast majority of dogs I see in Walmart, Lowe’s, etc. don’t even pretend to be service dogs anymore. People just bring them in the store.  Without a service dog vest or anything. IMHO the only way stores are going to crack down on non-service dogs in their stores  is when someone/some kid gets big and they sue the heck out of that store.  

I have seen in 2 different Lowes just west of us a sign that read "All Dogs Welcome".

20 minutes ago, bhall said:

I have seen in 2 different Lowes just west of us a sign that read "All Dogs Welcome".

I’m not surprised.  Taking your dog with you every where is now the cool hip thing to do.   

I’m still waiting for that lawsuit when someone gets bit inside a store. I can here it now. 

“Lowes had signs saying “all dogs welcome” but they didn’t make sure the dogs coming into their store were under control at all times. And so Lowes is liable for my pain and suffering.”

13 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I’m still waiting for that lawsuit when someone gets bit inside a store. I can here it now. 

Not bit but injured when they are loading something on the cart and the dog's leash trips them. The last thing I want near me when I'm picking up a sheet of plywood or drywall is an animal.

56 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Not bit but injured when they are loading something on the cart and the dog's leash trips them. The last thing I want near me when I'm picking up a sheet of plywood or drywall is an animal.

One of my local Lowes has a gentleman that comes in every morning and as soon as the door opens his dog takes off all over the store.   And a bunch of the employees give him treats. He’s run by me at full speed several times.  You literally have to get out of his way or he will knock you down.  

20 hours ago, bhall said:

Some around here do, but not all.  I've seen a few dogs in the stores, and they've generally been very well behaved.  But yeah, all it will take is one knucklehead owner that doesn't bother to train/manage their dog in public for that privilege to go away.

6 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

One of my local Lowes has a gentleman that comes in every morning and as soon as the door opens his dog takes off all over the store.   And a bunch of the employees give him treats. He’s run by me at full speed several times.  You literally have to get out of his way or he will knock you down.  

Ok I love dogs.  I've had dogs for ages. I really have no problem with well behaved, well managed dogs in public places that they're allowed to be in. But seriously, even if it's the most friendly dog in the whole wide world, that's just ridiculous.  Again it goes back to assuming the world at large loves your dog as much as you do, and just generally being considerate of other people.  

Portorleans.org shared a copy of the agreement over at Riverside. 

http://www.portorleans.org/Disney's-Port-Orleans-Resort-Riverside_Pet-Agreement_13-Oct-2017.pdf

DISNEY'S PORT ORLEANS RESORT - RIVERSIDE PET AGREEMENT (This agreement applies to domesticated dogs only, other than Service Animals) The hotel may accommodate my pet in the room provided that my pet is fully trained and appropriately restrained by me. The hotel allows no more than two domesticated dogs per room. In consideration for the hotel permitting me to keep my pet in the room assigned to me, I hereby agree to the following: 1. I agree to pay a non-refundable fee for my pet of $50 (plus tax) per room, per night.

2. I understand that additional fees may apply if any damage is found in the room upon check out. I agree to accept full responsibility for any and all damages and/or soiling caused by my pet during my stay, as determined within the sole discretion of the hotel. I agree that the costs for the repair and/or additional cleaning requirements (including labor) will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.

3. I understand and agree that the hotel retains the right to exclude my pet if, in the hotel's sole discretion, my pet is considered dangerous by reason of size, disposition or is likely to frighten or harm other guests of the hotel. I agree that at all times while on hotel property I will ensure my pet complies with all relevant laws and regulations. I agree that if I do not adhere to these policies, I will be required to board my pet at my own expense.

4. I must keep my pet restrained on a leash or in a pet carrier when my pet is outside my guest room. Unattended pets may be removed from the property at the expense of the pet owner.

5. I must not leave my pet in my room unattended for more than 7 hours.

6. I must always display a Pluto’s Do Not Disturb sign to alert Cast Members that a pet is in residence inside a guest room.

7. I agree that I must have a pet carrier available for each pet in case of an emergency and/or if I need to use transportation services.

8. I am responsible for my pet's proper care, behavior and pet waste maintenance throughout the hotel and on the grounds. I am responsible for cleaning up after my pet on hotel property.

9. I agree that I am responsible for the noise my pet creates and will ensure that my pet does not disrupt the quiet enjoyment of other hotel guests. I agree that should the hotel determine in its sole discretion that my pet is objectionable to other hotel guests, I must immediately make other arrangements to house the pet outside the hotel.

10. I agree to provide the hotel with my cell phone number enabling them to reach me in case I am not in the room and my pet is creating a disturbance. Should the hotel need to relocate my pet, all costs associated with the relocation of my pet will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.

11. I understand that pets are not permitted in Walt Disney World® Resort theme parks and water parks or the Disney Springs® area.

12. I understand that pets are not permitted in Food and Beverage, Club Lounge, Pool or Fitness Center areas.

13. I understand that pets are not permitted on any furniture anywhere on the premises.

14. I understand that the bathing and grooming of pets is not permitted in the guest room.

15. I agree to contact the Housekeeping department to arrange for a convenient time to service my room. The hotel will not attempt to service the room if I am not present and my pet is in the room.

16. I understand that all pets must have up to date vaccinations and inoculations and I must be able to show records of such vaccinations and inoculations upon request. Requirements: DHPPv/DA2PPv, Rabies and Bordetella.

17. I understand and agree that if my pet is involved in an incident involving a bite and current rabies vaccination cannot be verified, it may be necessary to quarantine my pet, subject to the discretion of the local health authority.

18. I release Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., Disney Destinations, LLC, Disney Vacation Development, Inc., Disney Vacation Club Management Corp., and their respective parent, subsidiary and other affiliated or related companies, and the officers, directors, employees, agents, contractors, sub-contractors, representatives, successors, assigns and volunteers of each of the foregoing entities (the "Released Parties") from any and all liability for any injury and/or damage suffered by my pet. I agree that I assume full responsibility for any injury or damage caused or alleged to be caused by my pet and incurred or alleged to be incurred by any guest, employee, contractor or invitee of the hotel. I agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all alleged or actual losses, claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees and court costs) suffered by the Released Parties or asserted by any other hotel guest, invitee, employee, contractor or other person arising out of or in connection with my pet's stay at the hotel, including from any alleged negligence of the Released Parties. I have read, understood and agreed to the above:

Guest's Name (printed):______________________________ Guest's Signature:__________________________________ Emergency Contact Cell Phone Number: _________________________ Room#______________ Date: ______________

7 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Of course looking at this optimistically, this may result in a more uniform and better enforced pet policy across all resorts.  That would be a benefit.

Definitely going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out.  

From what I've read, Disney is already getting a TON of feedback from people about this, and policies and procedures are still being fine tuned.  I'd imagine once they actually start putting guests in rooms and dealing with real-life situations (vs speculating how things will go) things will change further.

12 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Definitely going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out.  

From what I've read, Disney is already getting a TON of feedback from people about this, and policies and procedures are still being fine tuned.  I'd imagine once they actually start putting guests in rooms and dealing with real-life situations (vs speculating how things will go) things will change further.

The first dogs checking in to Riverside earlier this week. 

2 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Question is, will the rules be enforced like the pet rules are enforced at Fort Wilderness (i.e. rarely). 

I'm thinking they will do better at the resorts. One loud dog I would assume would have more of an impact on potential number of bothered people (rooms on both side and behind and above) vs at a campsite unless a lot of people are outside then I guess the campsite could annoy more. Plus dog going nuts in your camper, Disney doesn't lose money if it destroys stuff vs if it goes crazy in a resort room. 

I do hope they picked buildings/rooms with little foot traffic to lessen the chance of people walking by and it stirring up the dog. 

32 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I'm thinking they will do better at the resorts. One loud dog I would assume would have more of an impact on potential number of bothered people (rooms on both side and behind and above) vs at a campsite unless a lot of people are outside then I guess the campsite could annoy more. Plus dog going nuts in your camper, Disney doesn't lose money if it destroys stuff vs if it goes crazy in a resort room. 

Agreed. Plus the loss of revenue if they scare guests away from a $300-$800+ a night room vs a $100 campsite.  Never mind that hotel guests have an enormous amount of options when it comes to rooms at/close to Disney, as opposed to campers who have much more limited options.

Honestly the fee for this is so high that I can't see any of the resorts being flooded with dogs.