Dogs to be allowed at some WDW Resort Hotels + Fort Wilderness Cabins

We've discussed emotional support animals in lots of threads so I wasn't sure where to put this so for now I'll place it here and someone else can move it if needed.

Delta is taking a new approach to service and emotional support animals.

http://news.delta.com/delta-introduces-enhanced-requirements-customers-traveling-service-or-support-animals-effective

WBI

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand that. It's a shame that Disney management is once again so short-sighted about this.  It would not be that hard to designate pet cabins and non-pet cabins, and enforce the rules.  Bu

I forgot to post the most important photo of all- Rocky enjoying the cabin porch: Note that he is wearing his official $100 bandana. TCD

That is bizarre. Lol.  Omg.  It's amazing what the average person will spend on there fur baby. Trust me it's not just the 1%ers. There will be animals at ever resort.  Including the value resort

5 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

We've discussed emotional support animals in lots of threads so I wasn't sure where to put this so for now I'll place it here and someone else can move it if needed.

http://news.delta.com/delta-introduces-enhanced-requirements-customers-traveling-service-or-support-animals-effective

WBI

Very interesting article. I've heard and seen a lot, but this sentence got me:

Customers have attempted to fly with comfort turkeys, gliding possums known as sugar gliders, snakes, spiders and more.

Service turkeys?  Service possums?  WTF?

It sounds like people will just need some paperwork now. It may slow down the abuse, but it's not going to stop it. But something is better than nothing. 

TCD

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Customers have attempted to fly with comfort turkeys, gliding possums known as sugar gliders, snakes, spiders and more.

It sounds like people will just need some paperwork now. It may slow down the abuse, but it's not going to stop it. But something is better than nothing. 

TCD

I agree it's not going to stop the abuse but the extra requirements may slow down the lazy cheaters.  The bad part is it creates a hurdle for the ones that have a legitimate need.

WBI

6 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

A friend's mom has a Sugar Glider (not as a service animal) and that thing is a riot.  It's a marsupial and the babies are called Joey's (like a Kangaroo).  First time I've ever met that little critter, it climbed into my pocket when I sat down and stayed there with it's head peaking out for most of my visit. 

8 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

WBI

I guess it's me personally but if I had a service animal I'd have no problem carrying papers or an ID type card for my pet saying that it was a trained legitimate service animal. Most service animals have gone through lots of training and there's no reason that emotional support animals can't go through training if the haven't already. Registering your service animal with a state or federal agency and obtaining an ID card for them, I wouldn't see as being a bad thing for anyone other then the people who don't have legitimate service animals. Sure some people would still get their animals certificated and registered who don't necessarily need them but it would cut down on people abusing the fact that service animals can be taken almost anywhere without question. The cards wouldn't have to give any medical information, just description/picture of the dog, owner's name, and certifying that it was trained.

Will this ever happen probably not and that's because all the people who abuse the laws will fight and make a big stink about invasions of privacy or that their rights are being denied. 

I'm sure not everyone will agree with me just how I feel personally.

8 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I guess it's me personally but if I had a service animal I'd have no problem carrying papers or an ID type card for my pet saying that it was a trained legitimate service animal. Most service animals have gone through lots of training and there's no reason that emotional support animals can't go through training if the haven't already. Registering your service animal with a state or federal agency and obtaining an ID card for them, I wouldn't see as being a bad thing for anyone other then the people who don't have legitimate service animals. Sure some people would still get their animals certificated and registered who don't necessarily need them but it would cut down on people abusing the fact that service animals can be taken almost anywhere without question. The cards wouldn't have to give any medical information, just description/picture of the dog, owner's name, and certifying that it was trained.

Will this ever happen probably not and that's because all the people who abuse the laws will fight and make a big stink about invasions of privacy or that their rights are being denied. 

I'm sure not everyone will agree with me just how I feel personally.

We’ve discussed it here and I personally have talked to a few true service dog owners and even a service dog trainer (at Lowes) and they all say there needs to some sort of government regulation and licensing.  And they agree with you that they wouldn’t mind carrying a license to prove they have a legitimate service animal. 

I do think it will happen. Unless the travel and hospitality industry self regulates the problem. 

However, Everyone (company) has been afraid to step forward and say this abuse is wrong. But it looks like delta got the bal%# to do it first.  And good for delta. 

And your right those people that are currently abusing the system will cry foul but I hope the rest of us will shame them into backing down. 

Just my humble thoughts. 

While there might be some localities that don't every one I have lived in requires all dogs to be licensed and to display a  tag. I don't see how it is any inconvenience or discriminating to register trained service animals at the same time and note it on the license. It could be part of the tag information and an additional card could be issued for the owner to use.  

I agree that some sort of registration for service animals seems appropriate and would ultimately help those who truly need one.  As others have said, the trained service animals should be fairly easy to develop a registration system for.  However, it seems to me that in large part that it's the emotional support animal segment that is most abused, at least over the last decade as this trend has increased.  While many or most true emotional support animals are not trained in the way that traditional service animals are trained, the humans that need an emotional support animal are in most cases themselves under the care of a medical professional, whether it be a mental health professional or physician.  It would seem to me that those who are truly benefiting from an emotional support animal would be able to get a medical need form that would be a component of a much-needed registration process.  

48 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

It would seem to me that those who are truly benefiting from an emotional support animal would be able to get a medical need form that would be a component of a much-needed registration process. 

There is already a parallel to this, handicap parking permits.

19 hours ago, bhall said:

A friend's mom has a Sugar Glider (not as a service animal) and that thing is a riot.  It's a marsupial and the babies are called Joey's (like a Kangaroo).  First time I've ever met that little critter, it climbed into my pocket when I sat down and stayed there with it's head peaking out for most of my visit. 

I had sugar gliders for 10 years and NEVER ever did I consider it a emotional support animal.  Geez.

Getting back on track for a little bit...

Doggie cabins at the Fort. 

Was it ever announced/determined if just certain cabins/loops were going to be dog designated (like the hotels), or is it going to be a free for all?

Someone in another group asked a CM because their child is severely allergic to dog hair and wanted to know if they would get a dog free cabin.

They were told any cabin could be a dog cabin and an extra mattress cover would be put on the bed and the cabin would get an extra vacuuming.

Doesn't sound too accommodating.

22 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Was it ever announced/determined if just certain cabins/loops were going to be dog designated (like the hotels), or is it going to be a free for all?

It's a free for all. 

https://instagram.com/p/Bd_l4kpD45W/

check out that instagram acccount to see three dogs enjoying every part of a cabin. 

TCD

41 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

^ what TCD said. Within the last year we have become dog owners and I actually called WDW about it; I was told all the cabin loops are now 'dog friendly'. Not that we're going back any time soon, but if we do we will seriously consider bringing the pupper.

So again the Fort gets the short end of the stick.

Other resorts have rules and certain wings/rooms are dog friendly, but that's too much to ask of the Fort.

Just like their own site says "dogs not allowed in PUPS and tents", but we've seen plenty staying in them.

Just wait until someone gets sick from or bit by a dog and the lawyers will have a field day.

How can they be so thick headed that they can't designate a loop or 2 for dogs to stay in.

42 minutes ago, Travisma said:

So again the Fort gets the short end of the stick.

Other resorts have rules and certain wings/rooms are dog friendly, but that's too much to ask of the Fort.

Just like their own site says "dogs not allowed in PUPS and tents", but we've seen plenty staying in them.

Just wait until someone gets sick from or bit by a dog and the lawyers will have a field day.

How can they be so thick headed that they can't designate a loop or 2 for dogs to stay in.

It may also be that only certain cabins on each loop are designated 'pet friendly'. I didn't ask the person I spoke with about that, but again who knows what information each CM has about it.

8 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

It may also be that only certain cabins on each loop are designated 'pet friendly'. I didn't ask the person I spoke with about that, but again who knows what information each CM has about it.

Based on my personal experience and observations, I doubt that. I don't think the Fort has that level of organization. 

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's a free for all. 

https://instagram.com/p/Bd_l4kpD45W/

check out that instagram acccount to see three dogs enjoying every part of a cabin. 

TCD

But those dogs are adorable. And apparently their humans are on the exploit your dogs on social media bandwagon.  I hate that my dog is such an uncooperative little stinker. He's costing me big bucks. :lol:  

On 1/19/2018 at 2:38 PM, WannaBeImagineer said:

WBI

Article from todays TBT

There are way too many people out there that feel they are "special" and rules don't apply to them.

It's time the government cracks down on these abusers.

Like others have posted, you need to license your regular dog, so why not register your service animal and emotional support critter.

If you are truly in need of these animals, and are backed by your doctor, you shouldn't have any qualms registering your support lizard!

WAIT WHAT?

Feathers and fury at 40,000 feet

There's a widespread perception among airlines and disability rights advocates that some fliers are fraudulently taking advantage of federal law to bring untrained pets of myriad species into crowded cabins. Though the Americans With Disabilities Act defines service animals as trained dogs or miniature horses, airlines are bound by the more liberal Air Carrier Access Act of 1986, which allows free travel for 'any animal' that is trained to assist a person with a disability or that provides emotional support. Airlines can require passengers with creatures in the second category to produce a letter from a physician or mental health professional, but the documents are easily forged or obtained from websites that provide cursory 'exams.' The result, airline officials complain, has been a surge in poorly trained animals that has turned some flights into airborne menageries, with dogs blocking beverage carts, cats urinatingon seats and ducks wandering the aisles. One union member was asked to administer oxygen to a dog that, according to its owner, was having anxiety midflight, said Taylor Garland, a spokesperson for the Association of Flight Attendants. 'The aircraft cabin is a unique space, and we need to recognize the limitations that exist when you're flying in the air in a metal tube.' - Washington Post

Better than a sugar glider?

A woman tried to bring an emotional support peacock on a United flight — and it reveals a growing crisis for airlines

• United Airlines denied a woman's attempt to bring a peacock onto a flight.
  • The woman reportedly claimed that the peacock was an emotional support animal — which would allow the animal to fly for free.
  • While the woman offered to pay for the peacock's ticket, United would not let the animal onto the flight.

United Airlines denied a woman's efforts to bring a peacock onto a flight departing from Newark Liberty International Airport, according to the travel blog Live and Let's Fly. 

Photos of the peacock were posted to Facebook by the travel talk show the Jet Set.

The woman reportedly claimed that the peacock was an emotional support animal — which would allow the animal to fly for free. While the woman also offered to pay for the peacock's ticket, United would not let the animal onto the flight.

"This animal did not meet guidelines for a number of reasons, including its weight and size. We explained this to the customer on three separate occasions before she arrived at the airport," United said in a statement to Business Insider.

The airline also said that it requires passengers to "provide documentation from a medical professional and at least 48 hours advance notice" before bringing an emotional support animal onto a flight.

The incident follows Delta Air Lines' announcement that it would impose tighter regulations for passengers who attempt to travel with service or emotional-support animals. The airline said it saw an 84% increase since 2016 in incidents involving animals that were not properly trained, which included urination, defecation, and attacks on passengers and crew members.

The new regulations will require passengers to show the airline documentation that proves an animal's health 48 hours before a flight. Passengers who attempt to travel with emotional support animals will need to present a signed letter from a doctor or mental professional, as well as a signed document that states the animal can behave properly during a flight.

Delta initially faced backlash for its decision to tighten restrictions, but it's possible other airlines will follow suit as they try to crack down on passengers who abuse the support animal provision and use it to travel with their pets for free. 

Some Twitter users supported the United passenger's attempt to bring the peacock onto her flight, while others were outraged. Here's what they had to say:

Birds of a feather flock together except not when it’s a PEACOCK ON A PLANE have you lost your minds America https://t.co/3b2SZS5O3T

— Kasie Hunt (@kasie) January 30, 2018

I want an emotional support peacock now

— Lizzie O'Leary (@lizzieohreally) January 30, 2018

*wakes up, opens yahoo news*

‘Woman denied emotional support peacock on United flight.’

*SMDH, closes yahoo news, goes back to bed*

— Dana Goldberg (@DGComedy) January 30, 2018

Sitting next to a peacock > Sitting behind a human who operates in a "functional" society who chooses to recline.

— Patrick Claybon (@PatrickClaybon) January 30, 2018

if i saw a peacock on a plane, id be like "absolutely not" but if i saw it on the subway i would be slightly annoyed but definitely not move seats

— Polly Mosendz (@polly) January 30, 2018