All Run Disney Events at Disneyland Cancelled?

This is a big one considering how popular Run Disney events have become:

According to sources, Disney is set to a announce the cancellation of all future RunDisney events at the Disneyland Resort this week due to upcoming construction projects.

The Star Wars Half Marathon – The Light Side was set to happen at the Disneyland Resort in January and has had its registration delayed indefinitely, leading many to believe the event may be cancelled altogether now. Typically, registration for this event opens several months in advance.

The Disneyland Resort typically hosts the Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend in May, the Disneyland Half Marathon in August/September, the Super Heroes Half Marathon in November, and Star Wars Half Marathon in January annually. No events beyond The Light Side are even listed on the RunDisney website currently.

Rumors indicate that the events will be cancelled for at least the next two-to-three years while work continues on several large projects for the resort, including a new resort hotel, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, a MARVEL land in California Adventure, and the Eastern Gateway project.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/10/rumor-rundisney-cancels-future-race-events-marathons-disneyland-resort/

TCD

It is official. All RunDisney at Disneyland is cancelled for 2018. 

We have heard from many of you over the past few months regarding registration for runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our runDisney race events and want to share the following update with you.

Given the level of construction to support the ongoing Disneyland Resort expansion, we have been working hard to determine how we can continue providing our West Coast participants with the best possible runDisney experience, which is designed around the ability to run throughout our resorts while enjoying entertainment offerings and characters.

After careful consideration and weighing all possibilities, we have made the very difficult decision to place all runDisney race weekends at Disneyland Resort on hiatus beginning in 2018. This includes the associated Coast to Coast Race Challenges.

Anyone who has registered for one of these races will be contacted directly by runDisney today by email and will receive a full refund for registration fees and for any commemorative items they may have purchased.

While news of this hiatus is sad to share, we are so thankful for the magic and memories you have helped create at our race weekends through the years. We look forward to hosting the upcoming Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort November 9-12, and we hope to see many of you there.

We encourage runners to continue to visit runDisney.com for other race opportunities. A full schedule of races at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Paris are currently still being offered, in addition to our virtual race series. Guests with questions can contact [email protected].

https://www.rundisney.com/blog/articles/run-disney/

17 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

That would really SMB for all those folks out there. You think they could just reroute the races.

I agree.

I know there's been talk about constructing a new parking garage and a new hotel (which I thought they'd be working on now in anticipation of Star Wars Land).

As far as I know, these races are big money makers for Disney.  The fact that they are cancelling these races makes me wonder if they're going to be able to handle the mobs that will come when Star Wars Land opens- especially since they are opening the Disneyland one first.

Disneyland is totally land locked.  They just don't have the room that WDW has.  I have always thought that adding Star Wars Land out there is a mistake- I don't think they will be able to handle it.

TCD

Out of curiosity I just pulled up Disneyland on Google Earth and it looks like they are working on the parking garage near I5 and on Star Wars Land.  Star Wars land has a lot going on, with half of Rivers of America filled in.  Nothing else looks to be started.

If you go to Google Earth (not Google Maps) you can toggle on different aerials and they actually have one from October 2017 on there.

WBI

Additional rumors indicate that there is an Anaheim Council member who is not fond of Disney and was making it difficult for Disney to obtain the required permits for the events; possibly because of the construction.  That's the word on some of the RunDisney sites my daughter reads, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

3 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Additional rumors indicate that there is an Anaheim Council member who is not fond of Disney and was making it difficult for Disney to obtain the required permits for the events; possibly because of the construction.  That's the word on some of the RunDisney sites my daughter reads, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

I heard there was huge pushback from the local government on Disney's plans to build a big new parking garage and walkway which would remove all of the foot traffic along Harbor Blvd.  The local business owners were upset that all of the business they have been able to siphon off of Disneyland guests would dry up if guests had easy access to a new parking garage and walkway which would drop them right off in Disneyland.

I get it- those small business owners are the voters that keep the politicians in office, so they can be heroes by going to bat for them against big bad Disney.

The silly thing is that none of these small business owners would have two nickels to rub together if it wasn't for Disney.

TCD

2 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I heard there was huge pushback from the local government on Disney's plans to build a big new parking garage and walkway which would remove all of the foot traffic along Harbor Blvd.  The local business owners were upset that all of the business they have been able to siphon off of Disneyland guests would dry up if guests had easy access to a new parking garage and walkway which would drop them right off in Disneyland.

I get it- those small business owners are the voters that keep the politicians in office, so they can be heroes by going to bat for them against big bad Disney.

The silly thing is that none of these small business owners would have two nickels to rub together if it wasn't for Disney.

TCD

It's a catch 22 for these people.

If they didn't expand to support Disney over the years they would've lost out to competitors.

And now that they did expand they will fail if their major source of revenue dries up.

It's like a company selling to Amazon or Wal-Mart.  They get a big contract, expand to meet the demand, then when it's time to renegotiate Amazon/Wal-Mart tells them they are going to want a price cut or they will drop them.  Who else is big enough to purchase the excess inventory that Amazon no longer wants?  So they either cut their selling price, or they layoff workers and sell off equipment they bought to expand.

There were two posts made to the Disney Parks Blog yesterday which shed some light on the magnitude of two big projects that are going to be constructed on the Disneyland campus, outside of the parks-

They are building another huge parking garage.  When the existing parking garage was built, it was the largest on earth. This one is not going to be quite as big, but it's still a huge project:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/10/parking-and-transportation-improvements-coming-to-the-disneyland-resort/

The article says that one is going to be complete by some time in 2019, with construction beginning this coming February.

The other big project is the new hotel. This appears to be much larger than what was previously announced, and apparently is going to sit on some of the space currently occupied by Downtown Disney tenants like the big AMC movie theater and Rainforest Café.  Also the fact that there will be a monorail platform in this hotel is big news.  This one is going to be done until 2021- that's a long time!- it's a really big project:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/10/new-hotel-disneyland-resort/

There's a road on the west side of Disneyland that is typically used in all the Run Disney races out there.  It looks like that road is going to be going away with these projects.  That has to be a big reason why they're not going to have races for a while.

It's also interesting that there's no mention of the big parking garage that was supposed to on the east side of the property- there are comments to the blog post that make it sound like maybe Disney is not going to go forward with those plans.

TCD

On a similar note, the Star wars run at WDW had the 5k run changed from Saturday to Friday and the entry bag pickup starts on Thursday now.

So that means I now have to take a day off of work and my granddaughter will have to miss a day of school.

One good thing is it should be a little easier getting an on site hotel for a Thursday night instead of a Friday.

23 minutes ago, Travisma said:

On a similar note, the Star wars run at WDW had the 5k run changed from Saturday to Friday and the entry bag pickup starts on Thursday now.

So that means I now have to take a day off of work and my granddaughter will have to miss a day of school.

One good thing is it should be a little easier getting an on site hotel for a Thursday night instead of a Friday.

The part I bolded is probably exactly what Disney wanted- a bunch of room reservations on an otherwise slow Thursday night.

Disney always wins.

TCD

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I'm glad I looked up the dates, they never notified me that they had changed it.

I remember it was on a Saturday, because it was going to conflict with my granddaughters gym class.

Thats really odd for it to be on a Saturday. The Run Disney things I have been booked for or looked at in the past have had the 5k on Friday. They usuelly start the races on Friday and go through the weekend building up. 

15 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Thats really odd for it to be on a Saturday. The Run Disney things I have been booked for or looked at in the past have had the 5k on Friday. They usuelly start the races on Friday and go through the weekend building up. 

Maybe I got it wrong, but I know when we went to the gym meeting we were concerned because my granddaughter would have to miss a Saturday practice.