Allow Extra Airport Time

I know some of you fly down to Disney on occasions, so be prepared to spend more time in line at airports.

Prepare for additional time at the airport as even more new security measures are put in place.

It was just a couple of months ago that new delays were expected during security checkpoints at airports with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), but now, there are more. When it was revealed that medium-sized electronics would now need to be scanned separately, travelers groaned as they prepared for more time at the airport. Now, whether you have it on you or not, food is going to be the reason that security checkpoints take longer to get through.

It now appears as if there are some new security measures regarding food that will force travelers to get to the airport a bit earlier than they wanted to. According to KHON 2, passengers traveling through Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu, Hawaii are being advised to allow for an extra 20 minutes at least for their domestic flights.

Those 20 minutes are in addition to the two hours they’re already supposed to arrive at the airport for domestic flights and three hours for international flights. This is to accommodate extra screening processes that are taking place for passengers taking food onto the planes in their carry-on luggage.

While it may not have hit all airports as of yet, it is on the way and holiday travelers will need to be prepared for it.

If you’re traveling to Walt Disney World or New York or anywhere in the coming months, you’re going to need to give yourself some extra time.

TSA is calling this new screening process the Enhanced Accessible Property Search. So far, it had been tested in 10 airports earlier this year and it is beginning to be pushed out to others around the country. Not only are TSA agents asking passengers to take out any electronic devices larger than a cell phone for a more thorough inspection, but there is also the food issue.

Sari Koshetz is a spokeswoman for TSA and said this is for the safety of everyone traveling.

“It’s not required that you remove your food at the checkpoint, but it’s encouraged as a way to facilitate our screening process to make sure that no one has hidden any explosives in their food.”

While it is not guaranteed that all food in your carry-on luggage will be required to be taken out, there is the possibility it could happen. If that ends up being the case, TSA is stating that it could cause additional delays for those having items inspected and others behind them in line for security.

Sealed food items are not usually going to be opened by officers, but if something is seen as suspicious, it will undergo additional screening and swabbing. If there comes a point where officers are still unsure about a sealed item, it could end up being opened.

Passengers traveling with TSA PreCheck are not expected to have their wait times or security checkpoint times affected, but if extra screening is needed, it will happen.

For those traveling on vacation or during the holiday season, you are going to want to allow more time at the airport to be sure you make your flights on time. This new screening from TSA is going to cause some backup at security checkpoints even once the officers get into a flow and have it implemented at more airports. If you’re worried about making your flight, you will want to give yourself more time as delays are expected.

There have been many reports of people with candy from the Halloween parties being severely held up and in at least one case another TAs client missed there flight do the need to scan all the candy. 

Best at suggestion for the candy and other foods is to keep it in the checked luggage to avoid the delay. 

A few people in the allergy world have noted the extra screening. Most allergy people end up flying with a lot of food depending on where they are going. I usually have a carry on with enough food to feed an army. Way more than we need but can't risk it being smashed to pieces or being held up for hours somewhere and no safe food for Adam. 

3 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

Being a TSA employee has to be a tough and thankless job. All the stuff they have to do to thrawt a terrorist grows everyday.  With all the delays, anything inside of 6-7 hours, I prefer to just drive.

They had posted if you are flying international, especially coming to the US, you need to be at the airport a minimum of 3 hours before your flight.

The worst i say was Salt Lake, everyone was in a big wad, no discernable lines

Not that I know of....

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Liquids Rule

You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag and separating from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage.

Any liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste that alarms during screening will require additional screening.

Maybe you now don't have too, just that it helps?

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Not that I know of....

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/liquids-rule

Liquids Rule

You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag and separating from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage.

Any liquid, aerosol, gel, cream or paste that alarms during screening will require additional screening.

Maybe you now don't have too, just that it helps?

All I know is that the TSA screeners did not make anyone take out their bag of liquids at the airports I flew out of- TIA, MCO, DCA or LAX.  I distinctly recall previous flights where everyone was instructed to take out their baggie of liquids.  No one asked at any of the airports I mentioned.

TCD

I flew from Miami to Houston yesterday. First off the Miami airport is horrible, the crappy terminal I was in was not connected to any other terminals on the secure side so unless you want to go back through security you're stuck eating at Pizza Hut.

But I digress.

The TSA agent was telling people to remove their food and place it in it's own bin.  I had a couple granola bars in my bag but did not take them out and was not questioned.  I did remove my Surface Pro 4 and put it in it's own bin (some agents call it a laptop some don't).  I also took out my bag of liquids and always do.  My wife on the other hand never does and has never been held up (she did not fly yesterday).  I did withness a woman have her bag pulled after going through the belt and they took her big sunblock.  So I'm assuming the rules is as long as they are less than 3.4 ounces and packed together you are ok and don't have to pull it out of your bag..  If the bottle is big they'll do a double check and throw it away.

WBI

10 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

I flew from Miami to Houston yesterday. First off the Miami airport is horrible, the crappy terminal I was in was not connected to any other terminals on the secure side so unless you want to go back through security you're stuck eating at Pizza Hut.

But I digress.

The TSA agent was telling people to remove their food and place it in it's own bin.  I had a couple granola bars in my bag but did not take them out and was not questioned.  I did remove my Surface Pro 4 and put it in it's own bin (some agents call it a laptop some don't).  I also took out my bag of liquids and always do.  My wife on the other hand never does and has never been held up (she did not fly yesterday).  I did withness a woman have her bag pulled after going through the belt and they took her big sunblock.  So I'm assuming the rules is as long as they are less than 3.4 ounces and packed together you are ok and don't have to pull it out of your bag..  If the bottle is big they'll do a double check and throw it away.

WBI

What airline did you fly?

I've flown American into and out of Miami several times in the past couple of years, and I thought the terminal they use in Miami was very nice.  Especially compared to Tampa lately (there's been a long construction project going on in Tampa).

TCD

Some people just don't follow rules.

3.4 oz is not a very big bottle, and it's not like this just started. 

I've seen people arguing with the agents because they have giant sno globes that aren't allowed in carry ons and they have to toss them.

Last home bound trip we took, they pulled my granddaughters bag aside and asked her if they could go thru it. 

The TSA agent couldn't have been nicer and explained to her exactly what he was doing and why.

He was a shining example of what a decent agent is. 

Her problem was a wad of 13 magnets she bought at a science museum.  it freaked out there equipment. 

Once he found those he again told her what was going on, that they were going to swab the bag and treated her with respect.

We never made it on the plane at that airport, so when we got to the other airport she told the screener about the magnets, and they opened the pocket they were in and passed her thru.

7 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I've flown American into and out of Miami several times in the past couple of years, and I thought the terminal they use in Miami was very nice.  Especially compared to Tampa lately (there's been a long construction project going on in Tampa).

TCD

I was on United so I kind of figured we were in a secondary area since Miami is a AA hub.  

My main complaint is that the terminals are not connected beyond security.  I thought this far past 9/11 the airports would be updated by now.

WBI

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Hey now, don't be dissin on TIA!

Yeah the construction is a mess, but overall it's an easy airport to move around in.

We flew into Westchester County airport ( just N of NYC).  What a dump.  It used to be so nice, now it's run down, cramped, nasty surly workers (except that one TSA agent) and you have to walk up a hill outside to get to the rental lot. Plus I think its $25 or 30 a day for parking in an open lot. We tried to fly out of there, couldn't get a seat (we were standby) and ended up driving to Hartford Airport.  That was a nice place.

1 minute ago, Travisma said:

Last home bound trip we took, they pulled my granddaughters bag aside and asked her if they could go thru it. 

The TSA agent couldn't have been nicer and explained to her exactly what he was doing and why.

He was a shining example of what a decent agent is. 

Her problem was a wad of 13 magnets she bought at a science museum.  it freaked out there equipment. 

Once he found those he again told her what was going on, that they were going to swab the bag and treated her with respect.

We never made it on the plane at that airport, so when we got to the other airport she told the screener about the magnets, and they opened the pocket they were in and passed her thru.

I too have had lots of good experince when interacting with TSA agents when flying with our young kids with bottles, they did just what you said and explained everything as you were doing it. 

On the other hand I've also observed disgruntled or bossy TSA agents at some airports, but there's all different types of people everywhere...What can you do.

WBI

4 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

I was on United so I kind of figured we were in a secondary area since Miami is a AA hub.  

My main complaint is that the terminals are not connected beyond security.  I thought this far past 9/11 the airports would be updated by now.

WBI

Tampa has the hub and spoke design (so does Orlando) and once you leave the main terminal and go out to the spoke you would have to go thru security again.  You are stuck with the food places in your spoke.  At least they have choices.  And I'm not sure if you could go out to a spoke if you didn't have a boarding pass for the airlines out there.

20 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Hey now, don't be dissin on TIA!

Yeah the construction is a mess, but overall it's an easy airport to move around in.

I wasn't dissing.  I love TIA too.  But, the construction in the terminal there has been going on for a LONG time!

17 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Tampa has the hub and spoke design (so does Orlando) and once you leave the main terminal and go out to the spoke you would have to go thru security again.  You are stuck with the food places in your spoke.  At least they have choices.  And I'm not sure if you could go out to a spoke if you didn't have a boarding pass for the airlines out there.

You cannot get on the monorails out to the gates without a boarding pass.  But,  with the never ending construction, there's more stuff out by the gates than there is in the main terminal.

TCD

10 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Good point I forgot they were like that.  But at least the spokes have a few more choices, but the hub is where the action is at in Orlando.  Fort Myers has the spoke design also now that I think about it.

I guess I'm spoiled with Houston, once through security in any terminal I can get to all terminals via train and it's fast.  Same goes for Dallas, Atlanta, Denver and others.

WBI

28 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

WBI

Yeah- the terminal AA uses is pretty nice. 

TCD

Just now, Tri-Circle-D said:

I wasn't dissing.  I love TIA too.  But, the construction in the terminal there has been going on for a LONG time!

You cannot get on the monorails out to the gates without a boarding pass.  But,  with the never ending construction, there's more stuff out by the gates than there is in the main terminal.

TCD

I just realized I haven't flown in/out of Tampa since 2009, crazy.

WBI

8 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Ok I'll stop complaining about the whole airport and limit it to Terminal G, lol.

WBI

LOL.

My experience at LAX is the same- a few times I've flown in and out of there, I was shocked at the crappy condition of the terminal.

Another time, I was in a terminal that had an amazing variety of things.

Totally different experiences depending on the airline you're flying.

TCD

5 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

WBI

I use to have that problem flying into JFK with commuter flights. They told us we were supposed to go to the front of the terminal to reenter via screening. It was a heck of a walk that I usually just worked around it. You were unsupervised and if you walked far enough you could enter a restroom then turn around and go on your way.

Ugh this just reenforces my dislike of flying. I know for a lot of people flying is the only option but I much prefer to drive or take alternate transportation. 

The last time I flew anywhere was between 2 islands in the Bahamas then back to Ft Lauderdale in 2010. That was an interesting trip. The flight from Great Harbour airport to Nassau had no security. Great harbour airport then was a lady standing under a palm guy with a radio, phone and metal detector wand, I watched her wand a group getting onto a plane to Miami so when our plane finally got there we waited for her to check our bags and wand us, she looked at us like we were stupid and asked what we were waiting for, so I told her and her response was "oh you're just going to Nassau I don't have to do any security checks, get on the plane already". Then in Nassau we got last minute tickets on a plane that was leaving so we were rushed through customs and security so fast we could have got whiplash. My bosses wife did get her bag randomly checked as we were boarding the plane.