Got there early and stayed late

Just got home from our sons 3rd birthday trip to Disney from Oct 12 - 23 and boy was it a great time

So lets start at the beginning shall we..

We departed home on October 11th, the plan was to leave around 9am after a good breakfast, but all that was spoiled when the boy came down the stairs at 4:45am and said "are we ready to go to The Disney".

The camper was already packed, and we just decided to get up and get moving so by 6am we were hitched up and headed south along I-75.

I may as well been alone until about 15 minutes from the Tenn border when from the back seat came "Daddy, I need to go pee pee", followed closely by the copilot saying, "Yeah me too and its urgent".

75ngvHK.jpg

We made it to the Tenn welcome center just in time, and took the very last parking spot for Trucks / Trailers...  It was a quick break as the crew wanted to get some more nap time in and everyone was hungry at this point.  Lunch on the road is always a win in my book.

We pulled off the highway between Knoxville and Memphis at some cave with an underground lake.  Spent about 2 hours wondering around and stretching our legs. (forgot my phone in the truck so no pix)

Our planned stopover was about 40 minutes north of Atlanta at a place called Harvest Moon RV Park.  Their website and the RV parks app I use said they had a pool and play ground.  Upon arrival around 3pm it was very apparent they had neither of these.... 

3yjNuDe.jpg

It was a nice stopover location, the pull through spots were gravel and very large, plenty of fuel stations near by so I could unhitch and full up.  The boy had a blast riding his bike around and playing with his trucks in the rocks.  He did question why no haunted mansion, or small world.  The concept of a stopover did not register i guess.

XpBHsBn.jpg

I was in bed very early (8ish) as I did not have the luxury of a morning and afternoon nap... 

Day 2 was to take us to just north of the Fort, more on that in the next post.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 2 (October 12) started much like day one.  Birthday boy was up around 5am, again asking about The Small World.. So instead of fighting to get him back to sleep we started to slowly get moving

Day 3 Epcot with Grandma, and Niece. Right off the bat, Grandma and Niece who were staying at the Contemp didn't transfer to the Epcot monorail and were lost in to the resort monorail for 20 minu

Day 2 (October 12) started much like day one.  Birthday boy was up around 5am, again asking about The Small World..

So instead of fighting to get him back to sleep we started to slowly get moving.  First order of business was to start the truck and get fuel.  So as i headed out to get fuel for the truck the Birthday boy and Mommy set to work getting things ready to roll.  

About 30 minutes later I was back at camp ready to go only to find my two traveling companions sound asleep...  So I started to pick up the toys and pack up snacks for the day in the truck.  Not long after I finished up and sat down to eat did everyone wake up and demand donuts. Another trip to the local quick shop to buy donuts, then back to the camper and we were off, around 7am.

My big fear was leaving at 7am we would be stuck in Rush Hour traffic in Atl, as we were rough 45 minutes north.  The travel Gods were with us on this day and we breezed into Atl and hit the HOV lane and continued unstopped cruising right around 65 mph.  Just around 11am I noted the gps was going to put us into our stop just south of gainesville around 1-2pm.  The wife made a executive decision "The Fort or Bust".

So she got on the phone with Disney and they were able to add Today to our reservation.  What luck, they Can squeeze another $300 out of us.. :)

Flying through the SunPass toll lanes we were blazing the Florida turnpike asphalt at a whopping 68mph.  Suddenly Google Maps notified me of a large backup that would cost us 45 minutes!!!! But just as heart break and despair crept in, and moments before tears broke out, Google rerouted us by passing the affected area and saving getting us to the fort at 5:07pm.

n1UN3Se.jpg

Some where along the way I received a text message and email form Disney saying my site was ready.  We drew Site 431, and we were happy with our draw.  So as we pulled in the checkin like was about 4 or 5 deep at each bay and we headed through the returning guests, through the overflow lot and back into the fort.  Found our site backed the camper in hooked it up and around 5:30pm the blender was singing the victory song of a job well done.

1Lokyp4.jpg

Right about the time my 2nd frozen drink was "letting go" our neighbor pulled up.  He had seen me go through returning guests and after getting hooked up came over and asked what was up with that.  I explained I did online check in about a week ago and got my text around 11 or 12 and headed right to my spot.  He was frustrated at how long it took to get campers checked in and was annoyed he didn't know about online check in.

After the wife got the beds ready and decoration setup we headed out to get our mugs and start the explore, as well as get some dinner.  First top P & J to get mugs and see all the people getting ready for Hoop De Doo.  We got in on the fun and had a pic taken.

GeUqjac.jpg

As you can see birthday boy was excited to be back at "The Disney" but still wondered where the Haunted Mansion was and Why no Small World...

Next stop the Pool and Sing along.  We got dinner at the chuck wagon and I got to say it was really good, not the fastest food service but well worth it.

sSoOSU1.jpg

After dinner and most of the movie we headed back to the camper past the comfort station where the Boy had to use his "Mickey Button" (magic band) on all 3 doors.  For a Birthday gift I was given one of the designer limited edition Haunted Mansion Magic bands and every once in a while it was make a noise other than the normal, its sort of a tolling bells.  We got it twice on the bathrooms.. Kinda cool.

Day 3 Visiting Epcot with a Toddler. 

I'm so sorry that we missed, meeting you!  That would have been nice.

Bummer about there being no playground at your overnight stop... when I took the kids out west in June, I intentionally stayed at KOAs, so I knew there would be a playground.  I get, counting on that!  Glad to hear that the stop went well anyway.  The spot was nice.

LOVE the family picture above.  So cute!!

I agree... we really enjoyed the burgers at the chuck wagon as well! 

The pool... it was hot a few of those days!  We definitely made good use of the pool.

12 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

I'm in, great start but I couldn't see the pictures.

Pix fixed, thanks for the heads up

11 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I’m in.  Ready for more. 

So was the cave in Nashville?

Somewhere between Knoxville and Memphis???

But I to can’t see the pix. 

As someone stated it was The Lost Sea.. Good old fashion road side Americana 

9 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I'm in too. Was this the cave you are talking about? http://thelostsea.com

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thats the place

6 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I'm so sorry that we missed, meeting you!  That would have been nice.

Bummer about there being no playground at your overnight stop... when I took the kids out west in June, I intentionally stayed at KOAs, so I knew there would be a playground.  I get, counting on that!  Glad to hear that the stop went well anyway.  The spot was nice.

LOVE the family picture above.  So cute!!

I agree... we really enjoyed the burgers at the chuck wagon as well! 

The pool... it was hot a few of those days!  We definitely made good use of the pool.

One would think being at the fort for 11 days we would have had more than enough down time, but as you will see we were on the move.

6 hours ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

I'm in as well and looks like you had a good start to the trip.

I'm betting you stopped at the Lost Sea in Sweetwater on the way down (as someone else mentioned). 

It was The Lost Sea

5 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Yeah! You made it to "The Disney!" I just love that. Love the excitement in all of your eyes in your family photo. Your son is just so darn cute.

He loves his The Disney.  Thanks for the kind words, 3 hours before that pic there was not excitement in those eyes.

5 hours ago, Seals said:

Great start!  Love the asking where Haunted Mansion and Small World are at the stopover. 

He refers to the Haunted Mansion as (trying to spell it as he says it) The Haunted Mooshion 

Day 3 Epcot with Grandma, and Niece.

Right off the bat, Grandma and Niece who were staying at the Contemp didn't transfer to the Epcot monorail and were lost in to the resort monorail for 20 minutes.  Not a great start to the day but hey, we are at Disney so lets just relax...

After Grandma and company arrive at the Transportation center we all get on an Epcot Monorail only to find the AC isn't working all that great and its already 45000F with enough humidity to drowned you if you take a deep breath. And per usual, its my fault the AC isn't working all that great.

Then getting through baggage checked and scanning Magic Band and finger was another huge hurdel for Grandma and Company.  Even the 3 year old did it on his first try!!

None the less just about an hour after scheduled arrival we are in the park just in the nick of time for our Meet with Mickey and friends, but first the line for Daisy Duck is short so zip over for a signature and photo opp.  

CRPJgAd.jpg

We purchased the photo pass option so I let the pros do all the work.  

Made it to Micky with 4 minutes to spare, and yes I heard a lot about how I would devastate the Grandson if we missed mickey...

z151rma.jpg

Love his some Goofy! 

PcAdy8r.jpg

My man putting the moves on Minnie!

UZ0N44m.jpg

Then the big man himself.  Success, now off to The Land for Soarin.  Had to do the kid swap, and he wasn't all that jazzed about missing out on something,  But a mickey bar fixed his mood. 

After Soarin, and the Land boat snooze we decided to grab a quick service lunch.  Then the boy was starting to wear down and it was Damn hot so we went to club cool and yes, everyone did the Beverly challenge.  My wife, didn't hate it said it tasted like bad tonic water. 

At this point the boy had had it, we strapped him to his stroller and let him cry it out until he fell into a blissful sleep, somewhere between England, and France.

Then this happened :)

ee2wz1A.jpg

At Mexico he woke up, and demanded Small World, so of course we went on Gran Fiesta Tour, and sold it as Small World.  I dont think he bought it 100% but he was happy enough to be on an attraction.

After that I was finished, and we headed back to the Camper, it was after 4 and we had dinner setup at Wave and I wasn't going to wave smelling like I smelled.

Day 4 Back to the Magic AND FINALLY DO WE MAKE IT TO SMALL WORLD!!

The picture in the splash zone at the pool is adorable.  We rode on many monorails this summer with poorly functioning AC.  Small World is my standard for "I have arrived in Disney," so I fully understand your little guys anticipation. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome job on the trip report.  I always thought it was just my kids that said "I have to go and it's urgent." Sure, it's 1 am in the middle of southern Georgia and I'm hauling 35 ft of trailer.  I bet it will be easy to find an open, safe , available bathroom....ugh.  your report takes me back.

I'm in!
This report takes me back- it really is a different experience touring WDW with a pre-K child.
So, you're the one responsible when the AC doesn't work in the monorails?  I wish you would stop that- it's nasty to be packed in to a monorail car without adequate ventilation.
TCD

Here I thought everything was always Dave's fault.