I'm debating bringing my bike with me at Thanksgiving. Which probably means I should look at bike racks. I'll be driving a Dodge Caravan, there is no hitch so will need a trunk mounted one. My sons bike fits in the trunk, my wife doesn't have one yet and my daughter doesn't want to bring hers, so just need to hold my bike.

I was looking at this one, any thoughts, not used a rack before.

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-2-Bike-Trunk-Mount-Rack/dp/B000AAYC7C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509052259&sr=8-2&keywords=schwinn+bike+rack

I've seen similar ones at Goodwills for less than $10.  One was a Thule and it was like new.

We had a cheapie one that I used on our Voyager and then Mazda SUV.  Carried 4 bikes on them, and the rack was partially on the glass.  Freaked me out, but it held.

Just remember not to hit the liftgate wiper while the rack is on.  I did and had to pull off onto the interstate shoulder because it got jammed and the motor started overheating.  Maybe the newer wipers are smarter than the dumb drivers and if jammed stop wiping.

16 minutes ago, Travisma said:

We had a cheapie one that I used on our Voyager and then Mazda SUV.  Carried 4 bikes on them, and the rack was partially on the glass.  Freaked me out, but it held.

I had a bike carrier like that- and it didn't worry me too much when I was just carrying around little kid bikes.  But, I didn't think it was a great idea to have the weight of adult bikes resting against the rear window, so I moved up to a rack that slides in to my trailer hitch.  I also have a bike rack on top of the camper.

TCD

1 minute ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I had a bike carrier like that- and it didn't worry me too much when I was just carrying around little kid bikes.  But, I didn't think it was a great idea to have the weight of adult bikes resting against the rear window, so I moved up to a rack that slides in to my trailer hitch.  I also have a bike rack on top of the camper.

TCD

I was able to get the bottom portion onto the metal part of the liftgate, so with gravity and the design, most of the weight was on that part.  The top part was on the giass, but didn't have that much weight stressing the glass, but it was still something to think about.

Just had to make sure the straps were tight enough so it didn't bounce.  I swapped out the top fabric straps with chain that I put inside plastic tubing.  It was rally secure.

17 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I was able to get the bottom portion onto the metal part of the liftgate, so with gravity and the design, most of the weight was on that part.  The top part was on the giass, but didn't have that much weight stressing the glass, but it was still something to think about.

Just had to make sure the straps were tight enough so it didn't bounce.  I swapped out the top fabric straps with chain that I put inside plastic tubing.  It was rally secure.

That is the same situation I had.  The concern I had was going over bumps and just the normal vibrations that come with driving.  That glass wasn't designed to have weight pressed against it like that.  Probably not a big deal for some light kid bikes, or even a couple of lightweight adult bikes.  But, I was hauling beach cruiser type bikes, and I felt like something bad was likely to happen.

TCD

Isn't the Dodge Caravan a minivan?  The one in the picture will rest differently on a minivan. I have a similar one I use on my Odyssey and it's a pain to get the straps to stay on the top of the liftgate. With some adjusting I get most of the weight on the middle of the gate not the glass but the bike does rest pretty low. I only use it for short distances. My husband has an SUV with a trailer hitch and the rack we use with that vehicle is a lot more secure. 

3 minutes ago, Seals said:

Isn't the Dodge Caravan a minivan?  The one in the picture will rest differently on a minivan. I have a similar one I use on my Odyssey and it's a pain to get the straps to stay on the top of the liftgate. With some adjusting I get most of the weight on the middle of the gate not the glass but the bike does rest pretty low. I only use it for short distances. My husband has an SUV with a trailer hitch and the rack we use with that vehicle is a lot more secure. 

Get a pickup, and most of the problems go away!

I had the issue with the top straps, so I replaced it with chain.  I set up the carrier with the largest bike and got it where I wanted.  Then measured out chain and S hooks.  I drilled a hole into the bracket that clips into the opening of the liftgate and put an S hook on it, then the chain.  Did the same on the carrier itself.  I still used the bottom straps. Made it a lot more secure. And I put the chain inside of plastic tubing so it didn't scratch the car.

Does your mini-van have a roof rack, and if so, have you investigated placing the bikes on the roof?  That way, your back gate operation is not hampered and you don't have to worry about messing with the glass.

1 hour ago, Duane said:

Does your mini-van have a roof rack, and if so, have you investigated placing the bikes on the roof?  That way, your back gate operation is not hampered and you don't have to worry about messing with the glass.

This is what I was thinking as well. I think the pickup truck is a good idea as well particularly if you have a dog. Dogs love trucks.