AJC posted this on the gators at Disney....

11 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Nothing new.   

I found it interesting... had no idea they caught that many gators, that often.  I know it's florida (and Tom, being from there, was not shocked at all) but I guess I'm just surprised as in all our visits, we've only seen one gator (not close up).

4 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I found it interesting... had no idea they caught that many gators, that often.  I know it's florida (and Tom, being from there, was not shocked at all) but I guess I'm just surprised as in all our visits, we've only seen one gator (not close up).

I too found it interesting that they caught that many. But mainly because I never thought about how many gators they catch there.   If that makes sense. Lol. 

Gators feed at night, dusk is when they are beginning to feed. If you want to see gators go out late at night with a strong light and you will find them almost anywhere there is water. There are more gators in Florida than most realize.

10 hours ago, BigTom said:

Gators feed at night, dusk is when they are beginning to feed. If you want to see gators go out late at night with a strong light and you will find them almost anywhere there is water. There are more gators in Florida than most realize.

Umm...no, I actually DON'T want to see a gator :P:lol:

11 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I too found it interesting that they caught that many. But mainly because I never thought about how many gators they catch there.   If that makes sense. Lol. 

Haha... yes :lol:

28 minutes ago, keith_h said:

My brother had gators living in the drainage canal 20 ft behind his apartment porch. The whole Orland area is dotted with lakes, ponds and waterways all with alligators. You can remove them all you want and more will just move in to replace them. 

Yeah... that's what my husband keeps explaining.  Then he goes into his cop stories about having to help catch a couple of gators... the stories, never end :lol:

Was it a slow news day? I don't really get why this article was written, I guess just to quote numbers. Disney never denied there were Gators at the time or that they worked with people to trap them. 

The way article is written bothers me. For one it seems like it's trying to stir the pot. Then it keeps referring to "the park" and the accident last year so anyone who doesn't know any better could assume that those Gators were all pulled out of Seven Seas Lagoon and not the whole 27,000 + acres Disney owns. 

I guess growing up in Florida you just know they are there. That didn't stop us swimming in the rivers, lake Okeechobee, or any other body of water for that matter. Unless it's a pool (and sometimes in them as well) assume there are alligators in it if it's fresh water in Florida. My grandparents had a house on a lake in the middle of Florida, we swam from their dock, we also got gator permits every year to hunt them, the largest that was ever pulled out of the lake was 12'1" by my grandmother (she beat my grandfather's by the 1"). I do see how people who aren't familiar with Gators in Florida don't think about it the same way and sometimes think of Disney as being in a bubble of sorts where everything is perfect. 

What the numbers show me is that Disney is more than likely having the Gators actively hunted as opposed to just dealing with nuisance Gators. But the reality is it's a resort built in a swamp in FL, there will always be Gators. 

*I typed this on my phone, I don't know why my phone decided that Gators needs to be capitalized but I'm to lazy this morning to change them all. 

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

*I typed this on my phone, I don't know why my phone decided that Gators needs to be capitalized but I'm to lazy this morning to change them all. 

You live in Florida and can't figure out why Gators would be capitalized? Tsk, tsk. Might be something to do with that little university down y'alls way.  ;)

4 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Was it a slow news day? I don't really get why this article was written, I guess just to quote numbers. Disney never denied there were Gators at the time or that they worked with people to trap them. 

I thought the same thing....

23 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Just sensationalism. Yes Disney knew, we all knew. It's Florida, there is water, there are going to be gators. Disney did their best to relocate what they could. You can't catch them all, and idiot guests feed the darn things, whadya do?

I agree, sensationalism.  

When we first started going to Florida one of the first things we were told by the Floridians we met was if "there is water, there are going to be 'gators".  Everyone said, if you can't see to the clear bottom of where you're swimming assume 'gators.  It just goes with the territory.  Kind of like scuba diving - if you're in the ocean there will likely be sharks somewhere, or baraccuda - either way don't be stupid and go looking for trouble.

And I agree "idiot guests feed the darn things".  Silly twits!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow and I thought the numbers were rather low. Just think if they catch and kill 83 a year how many Don't they catch?  Being an Orlando native I know they are everywhere, just wish stupid people would quit feeding them and bothering them.

We have a certified stupid person in our neighborhood who feeds the gator hot dogs when they cook on the grill outside right next to the pond it lives in. It is just a matter of time before it attacks to get food from someone. And it will be their fault. Someone will be hurt or dead and the gator will die too, because they Don't move them to a new home the trappers kill them.

• 2 months later...