A Surprise Trip to the Fort!

Okay, I know I said I wouldn't do another trip report.  But this trip was only four days long, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Many of you know that David and I had reservations to be at the Fort from November 5 to December 5.  But my mother got suddenly sick (doctors didn't think she would survive).  She made a miraculous recovery that the hospital staff talked about for days.  She was then sent to a skilled nursing facility for three weeks of physical and occupational therapy.  Eventually she went home on November 2.  By that point we had cancelled our first week of our reservations.  Even though her therapists assured us she was fully capable of living alone again, we knew her personality too well and understood what a nightmare we were embarking into.

Fast forward a day or two, and my dear friend Jean Ann (Okieatheart) invited me to fly down and spend three nights in a cabin with her and two other friends.  For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of meeting her, this is Jean Ann:

KBcrSFZh.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Tuesday we left the cabin around 9:30 thinking we'd have plenty of time to make our first FP+ which expired at 10:30. We were wrong.   There was a huge line of people waiting for the boat

Okay, I know I said I wouldn't do another trip report.  But this trip was only four days long, so I'm gonna give it a try. Many of you know that David and I had reservations to be at the Fort fro

So on November 2 we all flew to Orlando -- Jean Ann from Texas, two other friends, Mary and Ceil, from Connecticut, and me from North Carolina.  We all arrived within a few minutes of each other and q

So on November 2 we all flew to Orlando -- Jean Ann from Texas, two other friends, Mary and Ceil, from Connecticut, and me from North Carolina.  We all arrived within a few minutes of each other and quickly got onto DME.

ZI6PIizh.jpg

The Fort was the first DME stop.

qSOWPCEh.jpg

lZAkLZmh.jpg

Jean Ann checked us into the cabin.  Mary and I picked up our ECVs, and Jean Ann picked up the golf cart.   It didn't take much more than an hour after we landed before we were in our cabin! 

Ever wonder what a disability access cabin looks like?

0akkYCoh.jpg

WDRs5cHh.jpg

rAlztREh.jpg

WlO2sOMh.jpg

dV1xUA1h.jpg

nAMF9N2h.jpg

12 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

That is so awesome that y’all had the opportunity to get together at the fort. I’m glad you decided to do a TR I always enjoy them. Especially your awesome pictures. Can’t wait to read and  see more 

Thanks, Ray!

After getting settled into the cabin, we made a quick stop at the Meadow Trading Post.

Qnq0mvah.jpg

0omeBtNh.jpg

Then we went to Disney Springs for lunch.  We decided to eat at:

Ric0Wgqh.jpg

GtmM1YDh.jpg

The rest of the group opted for sandwiches:

yacHeBbh.jpg

But I couldn't resist the sides:

mD9SdSFh.jpg

The Brussels sprouts with whiskey-caramel were amazing.  Then I tasted the BBQ cauliflower with paprika sour cream.  Wow!  It was even better!  And then I tasted the tomato and watermelon salad with feta, basil, and pickled onion.  I was in heaven.  

After lunch we shopped and just wandered around.

VuN1Xtmh.jpg

juDDs62h.jpg

nzS8j4gh.jpg

ri7YhB9h.jpg

wsCPlnSh.jpg

otWFuPsh.jpg

dlw4NX5h.jpg

cdwez5xh.jpg

dtnp7NBh.jpg

We got back to the Fort and relaxed awhile.

tnmbPEWh.jpg

Then we decided to ride the cart down to the Settlement to watch the MK fireworks.  We wanted to watch from the right-hand side of the building, which meant I had to walk through several feet of sand.  Not a good scenario for someone with balance problems due to osteoporosis.  By the time I met up with the gang, I was having trouble standing up and said something like "I need to sit down right now."

And then I heard a voice behind me saying "Let me get you a chair."  I turned around to say thank you, and was shocked to see that it was Marty!  I burst out crying, I was so happy to see her!  We gave each other a big hug, and then Mo stepped up and we hugged too, and then I really started crying.  I was so happy to see them!  Marty was the only Fiend I'd told I was coming down, but I really didn't expect to be able to see her and Mo.  What a wonderful surprise!

I knew I had the wrong lens with me, but I took a few photos anyway:

9kiOZtsh.jpg

5tmUI6ah.jpg

cpDCEezh.jpg

The fireworks were nice, but I really didn't care for the music.  It seemed disjointed and didn't tell a story.  Marty and Mo both assured me the show is great when you see it from Main Street.

After the fireworks, we went back to the cabin and crashed.  It had been a long day.

zmdvJGTh.jpg

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

X-2...,but I'm not sure about the company you keep.  :ROFLMAO-1:

Hey, hold on a minute there, Bucko!  I think I was pretty good company, except that I about froze Gwen out for three nights!  Ok.  Well, maybe I wasn't such good company. . .   Missed seeing you all so much at the Fort!  Hope all is well with you!

5 minutes ago, Okieatheart said:

Hey, hold on a minute there, Bucko!  I think I was pretty good company, except that I about froze Gwen out for three nights!  Ok.  Well, maybe I wasn't such good company. . . :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had to sleep with two layers of blanket while wearing my sweatshirt.  But that was a small price to pay for the amazing days we had!

1 hour ago, Okieatheart said:

Gwen, your pictures are fabulous!  Seeing those inside the cabin made me think I was still there. . . oh, how I wish!  You may have used the wrong lens for the fireworks shots, but they are beautiful!!!  And we were so far away!  You are a masterful photographer!

Jean Ann, as always, you are too kind.  As I told you last week, you don't see my really bad shots.

I'm writing this TR mainly so the two of us can remember the wonderful times we had ...

3 hours ago, Okieatheart said:

Hey, hold on a minute there, Bucko!  I think I was pretty good company, except that I about froze Gwen out for three nights!  Ok.  Well, maybe I wasn't such good company. . .   Missed seeing you all so much at the Fort!  Hope all is well with you!

All is fine. Give me a little warning next time you're here and we'll try to run over.

21 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Oh Gwen...I'm so glad that you got this escape!!  I'm only sad, that we weren't there to see you.  So glad you got to see Marty and Mo.  What a sweet friend you have in Jean Ann.  Such a gift.

As always, I am loving your pictures.

Thanks, NaCole!  One of these days I hope you and Jean Ann can meet.  I think you would become great friends.

21 hours ago, keith_h said:

Good to hear you were able to get some time for yourself and unwind. Great pics of everything as well.

Happy to hear you're enjoying my pictures!

20 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Great pix.  They look like they should be in a flyer or brochure for Disney. . 

Thanks, Ray.  

19 hours ago, Littleolwoman.aka.Kristie said:

I am so glad you posted a TR, I love looking at your photos. What a great getaway. 

Yes, it was a great getaway at a very much-needed time!

17 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Seeing your pictures makes me realize how much I have missed you posting them. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this trip report.

Thank you for reading along, Yvonne.  I appreciate it!

I OFFICIALLY HATE IMGUR!

Have spent all afternoon uploading Tuesday's pictures.  Can only upload 3 pictures at the time.  No bulk uploading like Photobucket.

Almost finished.  Then I deleted one duplicate photo and my entire album went away!