Jump to content
h2odivers...Ray

Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

I am currently up in Taos for ski season and it is beautiful out here, where are you looking at?

Heading from Atlanta to the NP loop of Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon.  In NM, we'll hit White Sands, a few state parks (including one where Bison walk through the campground ☺) and possibly Sante Fe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Heading from Atlanta to the NP loop of Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon.  In NM, we'll hit White Sands, a few state parks (including one where Bison walk through the campground ☺) and possibly Sante Fe.  

Are you going to take I-40 into NM?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Are you going to take I-40 into NM?

I've got the route going out... that will be I-20 through TX and into NM.   Pretty sure the route home, will be I-40 so we can try and see Sante Fe.  There is a children's museum in OKC that I'd like to hit (they confirmed that they have RV parking).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I've got the route going out... that will be I-20 through TX and into NM.   Pretty sure the route home, will be I-40 so we can try and see Sante Fe.  There is a children's museum in OKC that I'd like to hit (they confirmed that they have RV parking).

 Jasmine Moran children’s museum?

or

omniplex Science Museum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I've got the route going out... that will be I-20 through TX and into NM.   Pretty sure the route home, will be I-40 so we can try and see Sante Fe.  There is a children's museum in OKC that I'd like to hit (they confirmed that they have RV parking).

 It’s been a few years but the horseshoe casino in Shreveport Louisiana has RV parking. if you’re looking for a quick overnight stop. It’s right off of I 20.

Avoid Dallas like the plague during the morning and afternoon rush-hour. I-20 skirts Dallas and Fort Worth  on the southern parts of each city. And unless you like traffic I would stick to I-20 all the way through the DFW metroplex.   That being said there are a few cool things in DFW to do.

stop at the forth worth stockyards for an hour or two.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

 It’s been a few years but the horseshoe casino in Shreveport Louisiana has RV parking. if you’re looking for a quick overnight stop. It’s right off of I 20.

Avoid Dallas like the plague during the morning and afternoon rush-hour. I-20 skirts Dallas and Fort Worth  on the southern parts of each city. And unless you like traffic I would stick to I-20 all the way through the DFW metroplex.   That being said there are a few cool things in DFW to do.

stop at the forth worth stockyards for an hour or two.   

 

Thank you!  I've got us pushing through LA from MS... stopping in TX.

Good tip on Dallas.  We drove through that area, on our way back from CO Springs in July.  It's a huge, huge city.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Science Museum.  Have you been?  Would you recommend the stop??

Oh we love the Omniplex science Museum. DD 13 has loved it since she was about 6-7 years old. Lots of stuff to do. Including, my favorite, riding around on Segway scooters.  

It’s right next to the Oklahoma City zoo and botanical gardens. It has one of the best primate and elephant exhibits I’ve ever seen. If you’re into it across the street is Remington Park  race track and Casino.   Which I believe is also next to the RV campground you will be staying at.

There’s also a massive movie theater called Tinseltown about 4-5 blocks away. 

 You’re also only about 6 to 7 miles away from downtown Oklahoma City and the Bricktown area. Lots of restaurants and shops down on the river. You can even take a river boat cruise like they have in San Antonio. 

 What’s the name of the campground you’re staying out.? I pass by that area all the time, and would be happy to swing by and take some pictures and give you a report about the campground 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Oh we love the Omniplex science Museum. DD 13 has loved it since she was about 6-7 years old. Lots of stuff to do. Including, my favorite, riding around on Segway scooters.  

It’s right next to the Oklahoma City zoo and botanical gardens. It has one of the best primate and elephant exhibits I’ve ever seen. If you’re into it across the street is Remington Park  race track and Casino.   Which I believe is also next to the RV campground you will be staying at.

There’s also a massive movie theater called Tinseltown about 4-5 blocks away. 

 You’re also only about 6 to 7 miles away from downtown Oklahoma City and the Bricktown area. Lots of restaurants and shops down on the river. You can even take a river boat cruise like they have in San Antonio. 

 What’s the name of the campground you’re staying out.? I pass by that area all the time, and would be happy to swing by and take some pictures and give you a report about the campground 

Thanks!  

I haven't solidified by route back home yet... so I'm not sure what campground.  I'll let you know once I have some thoughts.  Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few campgrounds that are connected to the Pigeon Forge bus service.  If you want to take advantage of that in stead of always having to drive consider that (not something I recommend).

We've stayed a a few RV park around there.  The KOA on Veterans is Great.  Super close to Dollywood, and Just over the little pigeon river from the strip.  

Want to be a way from the hustle and bustle a bit?  Anchor Down RV resort is first class, Only draw back NO TREES NO SHADE.  If you are going July - Aug make sure your AC is in good working order.

Up the Creek, By far the quietest  park I've EVER been to.  Its small but very very very well maintained.  They do have a a bus that will take you into town.  IF you have kids this may not be the best place as they have no pool, or playground :(  We stayed here in the fall and it was AMAZING

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 10:42 AM, h2odivers...Ray said:

Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg?

 We were talking about going to the pigeon Forge Gatlinburg area this next summer. We want to go to Dollywood at least one day perhaps two days. We also want to sightsee, shop, see a show or two and enjoy some local cuisine.  We will be there at least 5 days and as many as 7.

I know a few of you have been to pigeon forge/ Gatlinburg and also Branson  and I’ve heard they’re similar.  Is Gatlinburg or pigeon forge like branson?

Questions...

1.  Dollywood-1 or 2 days?

2.  Where to stay?  Pigeon forge or Gatlinburg?

3.  Must do’s?

4.  Restaurants?

 

thanks

ray 

Let me know if y'all solidify anything...maybe we could coordinate a GG with your visit.  Sounds like a few of us, would like a trip to PF ☺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Let me know if y'all solidify anything...maybe we could coordinate a GG with your visit.  Sounds like a few of us, would like a trip to PF ☺

I will. It really depends if we doing are somewhat but annual trip to Orlando in May/June.  Right now we are taking about doing 4 days at a US resort,  we really had a great time last summer. Then 3 days at sea world area resort, and then 4-7 days at WDW.  We have a bunch of time share points booked with RCI and we need to use them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I will. It really depends if we doing are somewhat but annual trip to Orlando in May/June.  Right now we are taking about doing 4 days at a US resort,  we really had a great time last summer. Then 3 days at sea world area resort, and then 4-7 days at WDW.  We have a bunch of time share points booked with RCI and we need to use them. 

Sounds good.  We'll be at the Fort, in June...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Sounds good.  We'll be at the Fort, in June...

When in june?  We will be there end of May into the first week of June  

 

 

 

 

 

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

That’s a good looking Resort.   How far is Sevierville from Dollywood and restaurants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

 

That’s a good looking Resort.   How far is Sevierville from Dollywood and restaurants?

7 minute drive to Dollywood.  It would take you anywhere from 2-10 minutes to anyplace in PF, not including traffic.  Probably 1/2 hour to downtown Gatlinburg....again, add for traffic if you are there during a busy time.  RCI has an older resort right in Gatlinburg, as well, and there may be others you can use RCI points at.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

7 minute drive to Dollywood.  It would take you anywhere from 2-10 minutes to anyplace in PF, not including traffic.  Probably 1/2 hour to downtown Gatlinburg....again, add for traffic if you are there during a busy time.  RCI has an older resort right in Gatlinburg, as well, and there may be others you can use RCI points at.  

Thanks.  

Btw. Do they sell beer in Dollywood?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

No I don't think so.  

Thanks. I didn’t think they would since they’re owned by the same people that own Silverdollar city in Branson. And there’s no beer there either. I was just hoping there was some good craft beers there.Thanks. I didn’t think they would since they’re owned by the same people that own Silverdollar city in Branson. And there’s no beer there either. I was just hoping there was some good craft beers there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Thanks. I didn’t think they would since they’re owned by the same people that own Silverdollar city in Branson. And there’s no beer there either. I was just hoping there was some good craft beers there.Thanks. I didn’t think they would since they’re owned by the same people that own Silverdollar city in Branson. And there’s no beer there either. I was just hoping there was some good craft beers there

Correct.  Plus, Pigeon Forge just approved liquor by the drink about 5 years ago.  Sevier County has historically been a dry county.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

When in june?  We will be there end of May into the first week of June  

 

Ugh.. we don't get there, until the 16th.   However... considering coming down early (not at the Fort) so, if that happens, I'll let you know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Ugh.. we don't get there, until the 16th.   However... considering coming down early (not at the Fort) so, if that happens, I'll let you know. 

We are going to Jetty park at Port Canaveral, then getting to the Fort on the 17th. Have you been in June before?  We usually go the week before memorial day, so we're not sure how much different this trip will be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WrigleysWagon said:

We are going to Jetty park at Port Canaveral, then getting to the Fort on the 17th. Have you been in June before?  We usually go the week before memorial day, so we're not sure how much different this trip will be. 

It's been 4 years, since our last June trip.  I'm expecting hot... very hot. :lol:

We'll have our sign out, come find us and say hello!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Correct.  Plus, Pigeon Forge just approved liquor by the drink about 5 years ago.  Sevier County has historically been a dry county.  

There are several good local Craft beer stores/restaurants in Pigeon Forge, (Three Bears General Store, The Casual Pint, Smoky Mountain Brewery, Craft Center Liquor & Wine, Blue Moose Burgers & Wings, Lil Big Britches Brewing,) just not in Dollywood. Also, based on the advertising, you would think Gatlinburg is the moonshine capital of the world, the same "ol Smokey moonshine" they sell at the Fort is made and bottled just outside of Gatlinburg. So...if you are into commercially altered moonshine, Gatlinburg would be a good stop as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for joining in so late. Lot of things going on. As some of you know Gatlinburg/PF is our favorite place. I’m sure I don’t know as much as the locals but I can tell you a lot. 

If your camping and want to be off the beaten path, I would recommend smoky bear campground. It’s a beautiful place with maybe 30 sites. I believe there are maybe 6 concrete pull through sites and the rest are gravel. They are all full hook up except for a few primitive sites. They have a nice pool and hot tub along with a playground , laundry facilities and super clean restrooms. The only downside is that they are s good 20 minute drive into Gatlinburg and they are not on the trolly route. 

Up the creek we tried last year and loved it. Small campground with full hook ups and very shaded. It’s only a 5 minute drive to the parkway in PF just past the goats on the roof mountain coaster.  The downside is no pool, playground, laundry facilities and no facilities or bath house.  I don’t think they allow pop ups and of course you would need facilities in your camper.  They are on the trolly route. 

If your staying at a resort, I have to hands down recommend the Dollywood dreamore resort. This place is great. Great hospitality, great food and restaurants, not too big and great rooms.  The plus side staying here is that if you purchase tickets at the resort and staying there, you get the time saver pass (Dollywood fast pass) free of charge. It’s normally $30 each.  They also provide transportation to the parks and drop you off at a guest entrance. 

I wont get into the restaurants in the area since I agree with everyone.  I will say that the blue moose, Hana’s kitchen, timber wood grill at the island and smoky mountain brewery are always top on our list.  The peddler in Gatlinburg is a very nice upscale restaurant.  

Besides Dollywood, there is a lot of things to do. I would recommend one of the smoky mountain coasters. They are all fun. Lots of mini golf places. Our favorites are Davey Crockett  and hillbilly golf in Gatlinburg. 

If you haven’t been there. It’s definitely a must do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×