Testing AP Discount Automatically Applied with Magic Band

From WDWNT...

Some table service restaurants at Walt Disney World are testing the ability to scan a guest’s MagicBand to apply Annual Pass discounts.

If a guest is paying via MagicBand, they won’t  have to do anything extra to get the discount as it should automatically be applied during the payment process.

Sadly, this new feature requires MagicBand payment to work, so otherwise guests will have to show their pass for the discount.

Right now, the discount application is only working for annual pass. There is no word if Disney Vacation Club or other discounts will eventually  work the same way as well.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/11/disney-world-testing-annual-pass-discounts-magicbands/

Anyone  tested this out yet? It would be great if it worked at merchandise locations as well.

Actually we've found this trip that more often than not they're asking people checking out at the register if they have an AP or DVC if you don't say something first.  We've learned to ask everywhere and sometimes you're surprised where you'd get a discount.  I got 10% off my gelato at Disney Springs.  :)

32 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

From WDWNT...

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/11/disney-world-testing-annual-pass-discounts-magicbands/

Anyone  tested this out yet? It would be great if it worked at merchandise locations as well.

Actually we've found this trip that more often than not they're asking people checking out at the register if they have an AP or DVC if you don't say something first.  We've learned to ask everywhere and sometimes you're surprised where you'd get a discount.  I got 10% off my gelato at Disney Springs.  :)

So this will "automatically " work only if you are a resort guest and linked your MB to your reservation and credit card?

On 11/22/2017 at 9:50 AM, Travisma said:

So this will "automatically " work only if you are a resort guest and linked your MB to your reservation and credit card?

That's how I read it, that at least for now it only works when you pay by MB, which means you need to be a resort guest with a credit card on file. 

That would definitely be convenient. 

Im not an IT guy. But how hard would it be for AP holders to have CC on file that they could charge to when they are NOT staying at a Disney resort?

that would be even more convenient for us AP holders that stay off property. 

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Im not an IT guy. But how hard would it be for AP holders to have CC on file that they could charge to when they are NOT staying at a Disney resort?

But they don't want you off property.

4 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

But they don't want you off property.

True. 

However, IMHO most people are not going to stay on property just because they can charge on their MB. 

And it would probably benefit Disney to allow off property guest to put a CC on their MB.   Instead of paying cash. 

Dun & Bradstreet found that people spend 12-18% more when using credit cards instead of cash. 

Also, McDonald’s reports its average ticket is $7 when people use credit cards versus $4.50 for cash.

16 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

It shouldn't be very hard to add a credit card to the MB. It would just take some coding. Not having the MB details one security problem I could see with a direct credit card link is people having RFI chip readers and stealing the MB information. By charging to a room the band owner gets a chance to review their statement for fraudulent charges before paying. Even if the fraudulent MB charges went through with chip enabled cards I believe the liability shifts to the merchant if the chip isn't used for in person transactions. For Disney that could add up to a lot of money. 

8 minutes ago, keith_h said:

It shouldn't be very hard to add a credit card to the MB. It would just take some coding. Not having the MB details one security problem I could see with a direct credit card link is people having RFI chip readers and stealing the MB information. By charging to a room the band owner gets a chance to review their statement for fraudulent charges before paying. Even if the fraudulent MB charges went through with chip enabled cards I believe the liability shifts to the merchant if the chip isn't used for in person transactions. For Disney that could add up to a lot of money. 

Make each transaction like a debit card, scan MB, enter a PIN.

And the new card readers at most of the check-outs stink.  I have to swipe my card at least twice to get them to read.

One CM, told me not to scan until the green light came on and stayed on.  That seemed to work better.

None of the others ever said that.

54 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Make each transaction like a debit card, scan MB, enter a PIN.

And the new card readers at most of the check-outs stink.  I have to swipe my card at least twice to get them to read.

One CM, told me not to scan until the green light came on and stayed on.  That seemed to work better.

None of the others ever said that.

In the case of credit/debit cards the PIN is cached in the card itself and is verified locally in the reader. I have never used the MB to charge items but if it relies upon the same reader that is used for credit cards then PINs wouldn't work without a change to the MB itself. If it has its own reader then it would depend upon the point of sales terminal as to whether the existing reader could be used for the PIN. None of it is insurmountable but the potential cost could be high. 

Another thing that comes to mind is how to handle a lost MB. With direct charges fast disablement becomes more important than with charging to the room. Also who would be responsible for the losses  Disney, the CC company or the guest? I suspect legally it would not be the CC company since it isn't their device. Charging the guest, even though they are culpable, would be bad business and probably bring lawsuits (valid or not). In the end I think Disney would have to eat the costs something I'm sure the bean counters and lawyers would be against.

20 minutes ago, keith_h said:

In the case of credit/debit cards the PIN is cached in the card itself and is verified locally in the reader. I have never used the MB to charge items but if it relies upon the same reader that is used for credit cards then PINs wouldn't work without a change to the MB itself. If it has its own reader then it would depend upon the point of sales terminal as to whether the existing reader could be used for the PIN. None of it is insurmountable but the potential cost could be high. 

Resort guests are required to select a PIN for MB transactions as part of the check-in process.  In theory, no charges can be made to the MB without the PIN.  In practice, CM's can and do override that requirement- which means a lost MB can be a real problem if there's a credit card attached to it.

TCD

I haven't noticed, but does the Disney card pads use Apple or Android pay?

If so, that would alleviate a lot of the issues of someone off site wanting to charge on a MB if they utilize that feature.

They could just pay with their phone.

I know its fun and easy to pay with a MB, and unlock your doors. I missed not being able to unlock my room when I stayed off site and had to carry around a key card.  But some hotels are setting up phones to unlock your door.

But I can see a lot of issues with Disney turning on that feature for non guests.

And would the CC be tied to one band, or the 20 that are sitting in your desk drawer or glove box?

18 minutes ago, Travisma said:

And would the CC be tied to one band, or the 20 that are sitting in your desk drawer or glove box?

When you utilize the charging service as a resort guest, it is turned on for all MB's registered to all of the guests on your reservation.

If you've ever lost track of any of your MB's that's a scary proposition.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Resort guests are required to select a PIN for MB transactions as part of the check-in process. 

In that case it should be pretty straight forward to add a direct link to a credit card with reasonable security. 

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

In theory, no charges can be made to the MB without the PIN.  In practice, CM's can and do override that requirement- which means a lost MB can be a real problem if there's a credit card attached to it.

You bring up the weakest link in any security plan and that is the employees. Whether through ineptitude or dishonesty it only takes one to screw up a well thought out security design.

Credit card details seem to linked to an MDE account since certain things like making restaurant reservations recalls them. So allowing people the option of opting in to link the card to their band would seem doable. Plus allowing them to manage card details and pins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, keith_h said:

Cant people already read the chip on my back issues CC?

I had a CC number stolen once and all fraudulent charges made were over the Internet.  I wasn’t required to pay any of those charges.  I can’t believe merchants would be held liable with so much E-commerce that happens every day. 

55 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

When you utilize the charging service as a resort guest, it is turned on for all MB's registered to all of the guests on your reservation.

TCD

Actually when i have checked in, in the past. They have asked if my DW and or my DD are allowed charging privileges.  I always tell them that my DD is not allowed charging privileges.  

So you would think disney could just make charging privileges available only on one persons MB and only one of that persons MB.  I would imagine every MB has a unique identification number. 

11 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Actually when i have checked in, in the past. They have asked if my DW and or my DD are allowed charging privileges.  I always tell them that my DD is not allowed charging privileges.  

So you would think disney could just make charging privileges available only on one persons MB and only one of that persons MB.  I would imagine every MB has a unique identification number. 

That's a good point about asking about children having charging privileges.  I haven't been asked about it lately, because I decline.  I prefer paying with cash or gift cards.

You can see how many MB's are assigned to you on your MDE account,  and it's up to you to deactivate any that you want to deactivate.  You are correct that each has a unique ID number.

TCD

One thing I would point out is your Magic Band does not hold any account info. It is just a link to your My Disney Experience account. 

Room charging is a hotel feature only so it would require them to completely recode how the magic bands and charging work to make it possible to charge using your MB when not an onsite guest. I dont think we will ever see charging without an onsite stay just do to the massive coding changes it would take. I do think we may someday see verification for everyone of an AP for discounts with out having to charge to a room. This was probably a simple code change for testing purposes. 

23 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Yep!  We had family staying with us this trip.  When we added them to the reservation (by phone) we did not give them charging privileges.  When they arrived they assumed that since they had cards on file from their last trip they were all set for charging. 

Um.... nope and nope.  All of their charges went to our account.  Luckily I noticed before they left and we sorted it out fairly easily, but we're still not sure what happened.  Possibly the person we talked to on the phone didn't check whatever magical box authorizes charging for people on your reservation correctly. 

So if you're traveling in a group, you should just confirm at check in who does/doesn't have charging privileges.

22 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

The good thing about the issue we ran into is that every charge showed not just what/where it was made, but which MB made it.  That made it easy for us to correct.

Also we wondered how, since you had to have a PIN to authorize a charge, family members were able to charge without our PIN.  Turns out that your PIN is tied to your MDE, not to the charging privileges on the reservation account.  So because they had valid PINs for their MDE accounts, the charges went through.

15 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Also we wondered how, since you had to have a PIN to authorize a charge, family members were able to charge without our PIN.  Turns out that your PIN is tied to your MDE, not to the charging privileges on the reservation account.  So because they had valid PINs for their MDE accounts, the charges went through.

And that is exactly why I no longer allow charging privileges for any of my trips.

I have had friends of my daughters on many reservations over the years.  They're good kids, and I don't think they would intentionally make charges on my account, but it could happen unintentionally, and the last thing I want to do is go to the front desk to sort out that kind of mess.

Paying with a Magic Band is no easier or quicker than using a gift card, cash, or your own credit card.

TCD

On 11/27/2017 at 11:01 AM, h2odivers...Ray said:

Cant people already read the chip on my back issues CC?

I had a CC number stolen once and all fraudulent charges made were over the Internet.  I wasn’t required to pay any of those charges.  I can’t believe merchants would be held liable with so much E-commerce that happens every day. 

Reading the chip is useless as it is very hard to counterfeit the chip to the point it is mainly researchers who have the funding and time to attempt it.

There's a difference between in person transactions and phone or internet transactions as far as liability. With the advent of chip enabled cards any merchant that accepts a chip enabled card by the magnetic stripe or hard copy becomes liable for any fraud. This was done as a means to encourage merchants to migrate to chip based transactions.

Internet and phone transactions are still covered by the credit card companies. However unless the physical card is stolen the CV2 code should prevent fraud as it is not located in the chip or stripe. The problem is too many merchants don't require this for every transaction so if someone can get the card number they can frequently use the stolen number to buy goods. Personally I don't think the card companies should allow any transaction to complete without completing all of the security steps regardless of the type. It would go a long way to stopping fraud and should lower costs which the card user ends up paying in the end through higher prices to cover the losses.