For people too into on line presence

From Orlando Weekly

Universal Orlando is now selling Snapchat Spectacles

• Photo via Universal
Universal Orlando is now hawking Snapchat glasses, the perfect gift for the person that needs to be streaming video from their face at all times. 

The Spectacles, as they're called, are available at three different SnapBots dispensers: one next to the splash fountain at CityWalk, another inside Universal Studios next to Alcatraz Bar, and another in Islands of Adventure near Toon Lagoon Games. 

Universal didn't specify how much they're selling these specs for, but they retail on Spectacles.com for 129.99, and include a charging case and cable. 

Ugh.  2 things I wanted to do this trip that DH wouldn't let me... go around taking phones out of people's hands who were surfing Facebook while missing out on all kinds of cool stuff around them; and tuck in people's shirt tags that were sticking out.  ;)

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Ugh.  2 things I wanted to do this trip that DH wouldn't let me... go around taking phones out of people's hands who were surfing Facebook while missing out on all kinds of cool stuff around them; and tuck in people's shirt tags that were sticking out.  ;)

I hear you. My wife won't allow me to go around and offer a piece of rope to the saggy pantsers  until they can find their belt.

I'm with you about the phone usage thing.

But, I'm afraid it's a lost cause.

I swear that over 50% of the guests you see in the parks are walking around looking at their screens.

TCD

I’m constantly telling my daughter to put her phone down and look around.  

14 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'm with you about the phone usage thing.

But, I'm afraid it's a lost cause.

I swear that over 50% of the guests you see in the parks are walking around looking at their screens.

TCD

Definitely a lost cause.  

And the MDE doesn’t help. 

12 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Absolutely right- MDE is a huge part of the problem. 

TCD

That is secondary, to parents using electronics (phones, tablets, hand held games) as baby-sitters or the primary entertainment source for kids barely old enough to hold them.

And manufacturers don't help.  Look at the kid proof Kindles, and the ruggedized kid friendly cases for iPad minis.

And when these "aids" are taken away from the kids they have major meltdowns, so they are shoved right back into their hands.

This upcoming generation is going to be like the humans on the starship in Wall-E.  Overweight blobs requiring some sort of motorized device to get around in, all the while staring into the screen directly in front of their faces.

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

That is secondary, to parents using electronics (phones, tablets, hand held games) as baby-sitters or the primary entertainment source for kids barely old enough to hold them.

And manufacturers don't help.  Look at the kid proof Kindles, and the ruggedized kid friendly cases for iPad minis.

And when these "aids" are taken away from the kids they have major meltdowns, so they are shoved right back into their hands.

This upcoming generation is going to be like the humans on the starship in Wall-E.  Overweight blobs requiring some sort of motorized device to get around in, all the while staring into the screen directly in front of their faces.

I don't disagree with your observations.  Kids mesmerized by tablets and phones are sad.

But, my biggest beef in the theme parks are the parents pushing strollers while engrossed with their phones.  They just plod along with their giant strollers in front of them, blocking traffic and running into other guests.  I wish it was OK for me to carry around an air horn to blast right behind them to tell them to put their phones away and enjoy their time in the parks.

TCD

They just plod along with their giant strollers in front of them, blocking traffic and running into other guests.  TCD

Their giant SUV sized ones that take 1/2 hour and 3 people to fold and get onto a tram or bus!

I hate them!

Anything larger than an umbrella stroller (except for medical reasons) should be banned from the parks!

Getting mowed down by scooters is bad enough without having to deal with the "important" people with their mega strollers that cost more than my first couple of cars.

Right on cue, the Disney Parks Blog posted an inane article about places to take social media photos around WDW:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/12/5-ways-to-fill-your-social-networks-with-holly-jolly-posts-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

This part has me scratching my head:

To add a little extra jolly to your holiday, grab a hot cider and head over to Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground to snap a shot of carolers arriving by hay wagon.

Hay wagon?

Carolers?

Hot Cider?

Where?

There hasn't been any hay involved with the wagon rides in years.

And who are these carolers?

And where are they hiding the hot cider?

TCD

12 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Sounds like you get your Hot Cider somewhere at Wilderness Lodge before braving the cold and heading over to stare at those poor unfortunate lowlife campers.

Carolers on the Hay Wagon, something new?

Maybe.

But how are you going to get your hot cider over to the Fort.  No food or drink on the buses.

How hot will that cider be if you have to walk?

TCD

I really did try my darnedest to keep my phone in my pocket this trip.  And other than whipping it out for occasional photos (and even there I've scaled waaaaay back) or using MDE to check wait times or FPs, I think I did an OK job.  I tried to limit my "checking in" time on Facebook to in the morning while relaxing with coffee (and still tried to keep it short), or in the evening for a few minutes before bed.

But the lure of the screens is strong. It was a serious effort to keep reminding myself to stay in the moment and take it all in. And I caught myself a few times lost in some inane social media stuff and completely oblivious to what was going on around me - and that made me sad. 

On the plus side, it did become easier to do the longer I made the effort. 

Now is the challenge of keeping it up while back in the routine of regular life.  Definitely harder as I'm working on the computer all day, but I'm going to keep trying to balance out staying in touch with staying in the real world.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

They just plod along with their giant strollers in front of them, blocking traffic and running into other guests.  TCD

Their giant SUV sized ones that take 1/2 hour and 3 people to fold and get onto a tram or bus!

I hate them!

Anything larger than an umbrella stroller (except for medical reasons) should be banned from the parks!

Getting mowed down by scooters is bad enough without having to deal with the "important" people with their mega strollers that cost more than my first couple of cars.

I agree on the strollers. My wife gets embarrassed but whenever we run into a family with a double stroller that seats the kids in line like a bobsled. I say "Thank You" for bringing a reasonable stroller to the park.

Watching people try to fold up a golf cart sized stroller right in front of the bus door instead of in line while waiting for the bus can be entertaining.

If you see me walking while staring down at my phone, it means I've finally had a mental breakdown. That is just stupid.

Sitting on a nice bench, standing under a shade tree or stopped in a long non moving que creates a nice opportunity to check MDE 

I REFUSE to use MDE while in the parks. I will make my three FP+ and dining reservation before I get into a park, then load them into my calendar app so that my phone buzzes at me when it's time to get to my next attraction or meal, and that's it. I don't tweet, snap, or #anything, and posting pictures here or to family on FB can wait.