• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a dog who loves to go for walks at 4 am.  Vacation makes no difference to him.  On our trip in October, on one walk around the 500 loop, we saw armadillo, turkeys, raccoons.  I usually seen 10

Now I am picturing a raccoon stashing starlight mints in a little nest made of sticks held together with Eternabond.  

You can usually find deer, Turkey and gators around the main canal behind 1500. Lots of deer at dusk along the path between the fort and the lodge.

There are several small bat houses around the Fort, one I noticed for sure is in 2100 loop behind the last site next to canal. Have noticed other, but can't remember just where. There is not much danger from them if you don't handle them and they consume a lot of bugs every night. I have started to install them around my property. It might take 3-5 years before the bats move in, but when they do the bugs will decrease.

I have a dog who loves to go for walks at 4 am.  Vacation makes no difference to him.  On our trip in October, on one walk around the 500 loop, we saw armadillo, turkeys, raccoons.  I usually seen 10 or more deer at a time on the trail to the lodge when I take my early morning bike ride.  Sometimes they are a hazard, since they are not really afraid of humans, they will stand on the trail itself and I have to weave my bike in and out of the group.  I have also seen bald eagles out by Bay Lake.  I have heard owls many times, but they are somewhat elusive and I have only seen them a couple times, but if you are patient and follow the hoots, you can find them high in the trees.

A couple of years ago I was on a morning walk with my dog.  He is a 75 lb golden doodle.  A golf cart came by with a mom, dad and young boy about 3.  The parents must have told the kid they were going to see wildlife, because as soon as he saw my dog, he pointed at him and said "look, Dad, wildlife!"

2 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

I have a dog who loves to go for walks at 4 am.  Vacation makes no difference to him.  On our trip in October, on one walk around the 500 loop, we saw armadillo, turkeys, raccoons.  I usually seen 10 or more deer at a time on the trail to the lodge when I take my early morning bike ride.  Sometimes they are a hazard, since they are not really afraid of humans, they will stand on the trail itself and I have to weave my bike in and out of the group.  I have also seen bald eagles out by Bay Lake.  I have heard owls many times, but they are somewhat elusive and I have only seen them a couple times, but if you are patient and follow the hoots, you can find them high in the trees.

A couple of years ago I was on a morning walk with my dog.  He is a 75 lb golden doodle.  A golf cart came by with a mom, dad and young boy about 3.  The parents must have told the kid they were going to see wildlife, because as soon as he saw my dog, he pointed at him and said "look, Dad, wildlife!"

Are you sure he wasn't pointing at you after a long night of festivities in the 3000 loop?

2 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

I had the exact same thought as Mark....are you sure the kid wasn't pointing at you? 

You made that too easy Jim.  

Now that you mention it, I was just wearing my Mickey loincloth.

The turkeys wander everywhere. I miss the peacocks I've got a picture of several at the Fort many years ago. They were beautiful.

I rode my scooter on the path between WL and FW one time about dusk. The deer were everywhere!! One actually jumped right out in front of me. Thought I was going to hit it.

14 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

Yeah I'm usually doing the 4 am walk with the dogs myself when we camp. Although we don't bring them to the Fort because we spend so much time in the parks. I still get up and run and that's when I see the most wildlife. One time I went running on the trails before daylight and as soon as I heard a deer crashing through the woods I turned around. Not sure who was more spooked me or him.

11 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

The turkeys wander everywhere. I miss the peacocks I've got a picture of several at the Fort many years ago. They were beautiful.

I rode my scooter on the path between WL and FW one time about dusk. The deer were everywhere!! One actually jumped right out in front of me. Thought I was going to hit it.

What exactly happened to the peacocks? I heard on another podcast they were an annoyance to the campers and were relocated not sure if that's accurate though.

23 minutes ago, Wade said:

What exactly happened to the peacocks? I heard on another podcast they were an annoyance to the campers and were relocated not sure if that's accurate though.

That's basically true. They were loud and aggresive, which is what the squirrels are becoming now, but they are a lot harder to relocate.

The squirrels also steal bananas (probably any food you might have around) right out of your bag sitting on your RV steps. 

I'm not sure about the peacocks at the Fort but we used or still might have some at the flea market here, they were pretty but would chase you down and we're very aggressive. There's a neighborhood out on longboat key that started with 2 in the 50s and in 2016 had 50+ out wild and breeding. They started to trap them a few years ago and try to relocate them because they were becoming such a nuisance.