The Year In Review: DIT Takes Disney Love To A New Level In 2017

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year!! It's hard to believe 2017 is over, and 2018 is here.  For a variety of reasons, 2017 was a bit of a tough year around the DIT ranch.  I got off-line to focus on more important th

Yes, I'm still alive. A little bird told me that Dave was embarrassing himself by doing a TR, so I needed to read how he crashed and burned..........this time. I sure hope he didn't run into Melvin th

Trip #5 - Fall Break at Dollywood Our kids typically get 3 days off in October for fall break, which makes for a 5 day weekend.  Not long enough to head to the Fort unless we pulled them out of s

Great report, thank you for taking the time to write it. Seems like you had an awesome year of travels. 

I started using an electric roaster Thanksgiving 2016 and have used it for turkey since makes a perfect moist turkey and in a good amount of time.  https://www.livestrong.com/article/473550-how-to-cook-a-turkey-in-a-16-qt-roaster-oven/ this is how I cook it, with the addition of my own spices. Still doesn't get a crispy skin like I like but does come out looking more browned.  

I'm sorry to read that you're still not feeling well. I hope that you get well soon!

As always, you did a great job with this report. I'm sorry that it has reached the end. I hope that you will stick around and participate on the board, it's definitely not as fun when you're on break. 

2018 is just beginning. Here's hoping that you figure out a way to make it to the Fort a few times this year!

TCD

21 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

With regards to Anna freaking out, it may have been because it was towards the last of the trip, she had been in sensory mode all week, and that was all she could handle.

Several years ago, we went to WDW with a friend and her 3 yo grandson. He was absolutely awesome all week, and took everything we threw at him in stride. On the last night of our trip, we went to Rainforest Cafe, and in the Thunderstorms there, he lost it. We did have to take him out of the restaurant.

Perhaps much earlier in the trip she could have handled it.

The Sunday after Thanksgiving is worse than the Saturday. We were on a Thanksgiving trip, (oh gosh probably 15 years ago now), and left late Saturday night and went as far as Ocala, then Sunday morning continued North. Once we hit the Georgia line, we never went above 35MPH all the way to Atlanta. Of course now, Georgia has completed the 3-lane I-75 project. (On that particular trip I-75 was 2 lanes each direction in Georgia)

You just reminded me of the first family trip we ever took to WDW, in 2001.  We flew down from Buffalo and stayed at the Villas at WL.  Checked in and went over to DTD for dinner at Rainforest Cafe.  I had been looking forward to trying it as the girls were little and loved animals.  As soon as the first thunderstorm hit, Izzy flipped out and dinner was shot.  LOL.  Some things never change.  

21 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Thanks again for sharing this trip report. I have come to the conclusion that not only am I sad that it is over, but I realized not once in 2017 did I get to see the Statz family. Who gave our kids permission to grow up and start having lives anyways?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Who's fault was it that Defeated Creek was cancelled this year?  :P

21 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Same here!!! I betcha it's been 2 years since I've had an Anna hug!!

Careful...she's getting stronger.  

20 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Great trip report enjoyed following along, and just incase for future Thanksgiving trips to the Fort and what looked like a wonderful dinner...........we are available!!!!! Just saying :lol:

Consider yourself invited. 

20 hours ago, Slapwacky said:

What a year.  Thanks for documenting and taking us along.  

Thanks for reading and commenting!  

16 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thanks for taking us along, on your amazing 2017!  Such great pictures and details.  Loved the trip report!

Here's to an equally amazing 2018.  Lots of laughter, adventures and the blessing of good health.

Hope to get the chance to see y'all again...very soon.

I hope so too, Nacole.  If you are looking for a stowaway for your SW trip, let me know.  

15 hours ago, sherryberry said:

Great report! I enjoyed it so much. I had no idea you needed to line up so early to get into Trader Sam’s. We’re staying at the Poly in May, so we may run over early and try to get a good seat in there!

The first time INC and I went to TS's last March, we showed up in the early evening and got right in.  I suppose we were lucky, but there were just 2 of us and it worked out.  

15 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Can't wait till you do your 2018 TR..?

Ha...we'll see.  

15 hours ago, Memphis said:

Great report Dave. Thanks for taking the time to do the report. I know they are a lot of work.

Thanks!!

14 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Great report, thank you for taking the time to write it. Seems like you had an awesome year of travels. 

I started using an electric roaster Thanksgiving 2016 and have used it for turkey since makes a perfect moist turkey and in a good amount of time.  https://www.livestrong.com/article/473550-how-to-cook-a-turkey-in-a-16-qt-roaster-oven/ this is how I cook it, with the addition of my own spices. Still doesn't get a crispy skin like I like but does come out looking more browned.  

You are right about that....it was a very moist and tasty turkey.  I could live without the crispy browned skin.  But I'll take a look at that link, too.  Thanks.

14 hours ago, slices said:

Thanks for doing this trip report, we did MBYBBQ last year, but I was considering an electric roaster for next year. Fascinated by the chandelier saw it when we did the carriage tour and were impressed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wish we'd known you were in the loop and could have said hello.

14 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Enjoyed reading along, I guess now that yours is done TCD needs to do one.

Yes, he's overdue.  

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'm sorry to read that you're still not feeling well. I hope that you get well soon!

As always, you did a great job with this report. I'm sorry that it has reached the end. I hope that you will stick around and participate on the board, it's definitely not as fun when you're on break. 

2018 is just beginning. Here's hoping that you figure out a way to make it to the Fort a few times this year!

TCD

Thanks Andrew.  I hope we get there once this year.  We have some other fun things planned, and I hope it all works out.  You never know what life has in store though.  

21 hours ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

It was wonderful to catch up on the adventures of the DIT family! Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks for reading, Rita!  

13 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I tried to make up having to cancel Defeated Creek by coming up to Franklin. Ok so Jessica had to cheer there, but really I was going to see the Statz family.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh right...I remember that.  We couldn't make it over.  So it's my fault, right?  Typical.  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, dvccamper said:

Finally logged on to read the rest of your report. Looks like a fun year, hope 2018 is even better!

Took me a while to circle back on these last comments....thanks for reading the rest of it!  

On 2/15/2018 at 12:45 PM, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

Late to finish! It was good to see you and relive it through your report.  But now I'm scared (again). We also camp with a chandelier.... We didn't put it out this trip though. 

I love that you also have a chandelier.  Embrace your inner-Dave!  It's good...LOL.  

On 2/16/2018 at 12:46 PM, Robin said:

Thanks for the report I really enjoyed it. You have a beautiful family!

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...