The Year In Review: DIT Takes Disney Love To A New Level In 2017

15 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We like team Boat springs but the only problem for us is we are a family of 3 so we have to wait for more people to ride with us, and sometimes that can take awhile.

I can see that....INC and I rode it with Anna one time and we had to wait a bit for more people to join.  

14 hours ago, bhall said:

I'd be interested in reading about your other trips if you're willing to share them.

I am thinking I might cover some other things briefly....a non-Disney trip to Orlando, and some camping to Dollywood and to see the Eclipse.  

14 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Ok, am I the only one that didnt know that DIT had such mad selfie skills.....

Yes, you are the only one.  

12 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Loved the videos! Anna’s smiles are infectious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Marty!!

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year!! It's hard to believe 2017 is over, and 2018 is here.  For a variety of reasons, 2017 was a bit of a tough year around the DIT ranch.  I got off-line to focus on more important th

Yes, I'm still alive. A little bird told me that Dave was embarrassing himself by doing a TR, so I needed to read how he crashed and burned..........this time. I sure hope he didn't run into Melvin th

Trip #5 - Fall Break at Dollywood Our kids typically get 3 days off in October for fall break, which makes for a 5 day weekend.  Not long enough to head to the Fort unless we pulled them out of s

17 minutes ago, Lou... said:

Are you going to mention how you pretended not be in your MH when I knocked on your door and you barking like a dog to give me the impression that you were not there? Btw, your dog bark needs work.

You are jumping ahead.  In the spring break trip, I wasn't successful at avoiding you.  Although I did finally get to meet your lovely wife.  

Just now, Lou... said:

Oh, I'm so confused.

Ok, I'll try to help.  

Last spring break, which is what these last handful of updates shows, we spent a week in the 500 loop.  Christina and her family were also at the Fort, and we had a GG one evening at her site.  You and Gail brought pizza.  There were others in attendance such as Dave and Linda, Lorna and Richie, etc.  

Ring a bell?

Then over Thanksgiving week, we spent a week in the 100 loop.  You came by one day and we weren't around.  I mean, I barked like a dog to scare you away.  That trip is still to come in this report.  

Ok, let's wrap up the spring break trip in this post, and then we'll move on to something different.  

I previously posted about our water park visits, utilizing the Water Park Annual Passes we had purchased.  Like theme park AP's, having the water park AP's gives you the flexibility to just pop in to a park for an hour or two if you want.  On a couple of occasions during the week, our older girls did just that....they'd head over to a park, stay for a couple of hours, grab some lunch and head back to the Fort.  They enjoyed it.  The only issue is if you need to utilize Disney Transportation to get there and back.  The water parks aren't directly accessible from the Fort, so it takes two buses, and potentially significant time, to get there and back.  You may have noticed a white minivan at our campsite in some of the pics I've posted.  I rented that at the Car Care center for 4 or 5 days of our trip, primarily so we could use it to get to the water parks.  But when the kids went, I didn't let them take the rental so they bused it.  They didn't mind that much. But DIT don't play that.  The idea of getting on an ice cold air conditioned bus in a wet bathing suit didn't appeal to me.  So if you plan on doing water parks and don't have a vehicle...it can be done, but plan accordingly.  

Anyways, the remaining pics I have from this trip are primarily related to some early morning Fort exploring, and some resort hopping.  

As usual, some of us are earlier risers than others.  So those of us that are up early like to do some looping and exploring.  We usually end up down by the canals looking for wildlife.  Here we see some on a boat.  

jj74s7pAfVe8sNvFqGiu_S3yT4B2Gu_R7RJ0kp_R

Jacob didn't appear to be home.  

B77V8KoOe99g39OqoChN-BpU3CDgneSad4_31wVq

I like Spanish Moss.  

M-ariRvWcYDQOLtHOCC1ZY7SjFiicJjs9neYC9wt

They look thrilled to be subjected to another Dad Selfie, don't they?

WrxVFGdjG4sa_whAOfETZSRdzYDz3mu2BASXIz3L

I wanted a pic of them with the castle and SM in the background.  

8oe5eJuUETz4EpFEtWH_kRIGUbuz-62AehZWJuzF

t0cZDaF24LDVPtYmFKFTHP6NcpsvzJwM7NjDGtvJ

We had really good wifi coverage at our site.  I took this pic to show why.  

MJVwWy6Zxdj-aI3azqA31bxaBjO18VdPaNv4989m

Q_L57mtGIrR3LsC_d-o1Mk-k6OoMta7UCkKw84DR

On one of my visits to the comfort station, I saw this unfortunate scene.  Some poor sap didn't realize you need to put a bag under the chute before inserting the money.  Plus, their trike got stuck on the ice and they had to call a tow.

3kGOyYam_zoAzfxwLXSEMvC-nRBId65qBjSgUAez

On our second to last evening, we headed over to Disney Springs.  I wanted to dine at what has been one of our favorite spots in WDW....Raglan Road!  

PlO0BzTi7FehzK5odnttLDisekdFI9NI3fxD1fLY

Anna always finds her way up to a dance floor.  

TzoUbVujS7jtOEDAsNxwuBhJ3AMGd5J4YPX6lwnE

Here is the famous Raglan Road bread pudding.  

9wpSCVzWgLi1nMljmWPPUh-NKHs6-ccKuDEQAfW6

That bread pudding pic doesn't look very good, does it?  Some of that is probably the lighting, but unfortunately the bread pudding simply wasn't as good as in previous visits.  And we also thought the fish and chips wasn't nearly as good as it usually was.   Greasy, and not as flavorful.  For the first time ever, we were not happy with our dinner at RR.  The dancing was still good, and the overall time was enjoyable, but the food was just ok. Because of that, we didn't bother going over our Thanksgiving trip.  Hopefully that was a fluke and we can enjoy it there again someday.  Has anyone had recent experience, good or bad?  

On our last evening, we all went out for a bit of resort hopping.  We took the monorails again. 

FuvN5bKQW1Sg5NzrF-woXmaLxlYqwMpJIy5xrhf7

We ended up at the Poly, where we got a table at the Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace for beverages and pot stickers.  We then walked next door to Capt. Cooks for dinner, after which we walked to the Grand Floridian to get some dessert.  The kids used to love the soft serve ice cream at Gasparilla's, but they changed things around and it wasn't appealing to them anymore.  So we tried some of the overpriced beautiful cupcakes.  

xx_lbWfoanYcOC-BmWRnzPXA3mcR6eMKcP6qE47e

vaCV6qqcHm_kntoirLMTBxj0VbfkDL0XgSISn2WD

I was disappointed that they didn't have Magic Cookie Bars.  I'm not a big cupcake fan, so I had a couple of bites of one and moved on.  We headed upstairs to the monorail, and took it to the Contemporary to check out the arcade.  We had some money on an arcade card to use.  

Dexlkg5jVHLZL6uivagvAwC-pZF0PA7x_1aE6dtB

7lptG_eW0HbgcZRyH6iCOL6IYN1u9r9dQJ0A3Uv9

We just MAY have stopped by the gift shop at the CR and bought Anna that Rapunzel hat.  Just maybe...

l8i4UJDfyXcnBjUBbf6tKcEfi3vRenKO0I4uw6ii

ZWh8fjBQ1fOBKi7B2yNlSuaqsR4_VbML5c2e9ShD

And that was about it.  We hit the road by 6:00 the next morning, and had extremely smooth sailing.  I think this was our fastest drive home ever...we made it in 11 1/2 hours if I remember right.  I was feeling good, so we kept pushing with a only a couple of quick stops for me to refuel, do my business and grab a quick sammich.

Coming up....more fun in 2017.    

All caught up.  What a great trip without stepping one foot into a 'park park'. The water parks are fun. We enjoy both but my boys like the wave pool at TL better.

I would love to see your Dollywood photos. It has been years since I've been.

58 minutes ago, desiphil said:

Great vids and pics. Looks like ya'll had a blast. I wish we could convince our girls to go on either of those raft rides.

Texas girls can't be scared of rides. Just tell them at the end of the ride they get ice cream.

Thanks for posting the video from Holiday World, that raft ride is new since our last visit. Planning our trip out west again this summer now I might have to plan a stop there. We were looking at Branson and then thru Ok. I know a guy there that offered us a nice boat ride, hope maybe we can get close enough to his location for that plus we need to add Ok. to our camping map. 

I also will add for any trip as a trip report as that helps myself and others ideas of places to go. Thanks for your trip report it is very good and love the videos you all look like your having fun Oh and Dave you've been around girls way to long as in the first video you screamed like a little girl, LOL

Excellent stuff!

Regarding the Disney waterparks, when the TCD girls were younger, Blizzard Beach was our favorite, mostly because of the family raft ride. But, after they added Crushin' Gusher to Typhoon Lagoon, it became our favorite. I much prefer the theming of TL. It reminds me of Castaway Cay. 

They didn't always add strangers to your tube on the family raft ride at BB. I don't like that- it's weird to ride with strangers. 

I like Miss Adventure Falls at TL, but only because you don't have to climb stairs to ride it. The ride itself is too short and too tame. 

I, of course, love your photos from back behind the 300 loop. Good job taking the girls back there. 

TCD

Great videos Dave, Thanks!  Nice to have a video break while its snowing and 20 degrees here  B)

You would think with the back of Everest never finished they could open it up again to fix the Yeti...... then button it back up and finish the outside right this time.

Love the trip report, especially all of the food pictures and drink options. TS is definitely on my list now, we have tried in the past, however, both times we attempted they were at capacity.

Raglan Road is one of my favorite spots as well. During our October trip we opted for the counter service that is attached to RR, I forget the name. The Fish & Chips were good and as I recall the Guinness was tasty. Inside RR I really like the Charcuterie board offering, IMHO some of the better cheese offerings in all of WDW.

23 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Me too!!

I'll share some other stuff....starting next!

23 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Lots of fun :) Love reading about your trip(s) 

Thanks!

23 hours ago, alexwyattmommy said:

All caught up.  What a great trip without stepping one foot into a 'park park'. The water parks are fun. We enjoy both but my boys like the wave pool at TL better.

I would love to see your Dollywood photos. It has been years since I've been.

I will share some Dolly photos.  That was an unusual trip for us, which I'll share.

18 hours ago, desiphil said:

Great vids and pics. Looks like ya'll had a blast. I wish we could convince our girls to go on either of those raft rides.

You should try it.  Lots of fun.

17 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Enjoying the trip Dave. Keep taking those selfies with the girls one day they will really enjoy them, and I know you already do.

I know...time flies and before too long there will be limited opportunities with my kids.  With 2 moved out, it's already begun.  

17 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Texas girls can't be scared of rides. Just tell them at the end of the ride they get ice cream.

Yes, a Mickey bar.

5 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Thanks for posting the video from Holiday World, that raft ride is new since our last visit. Planning our trip out west again this summer now I might have to plan a stop there. We were looking at Branson and then thru Ok. I know a guy there that offered us a nice boat ride, hope maybe we can get close enough to his location for that plus we need to add Ok. to our camping map. 

I also will add for any trip as a trip report as that helps myself and others ideas of places to go. Thanks for your trip report it is very good and love the videos you all look like your having fun Oh and Dave you've been around girls way to long as in the first video you screamed like a little girl, LOL

I'd be ticked about that comment if it weren't true.  LOL.  

4 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Excellent stuff!

Regarding the Disney waterparks, when the TCD girls were younger, Blizzard Beach was our favorite, mostly because of the family raft ride. But, after they added Crushin' Gusher to Typhoon Lagoon, it became our favorite. I much prefer the theming of TL. It reminds me of Castaway Cay. 

They didn't always add strangers to your tube on the family raft ride at BB. I don't like that- it's weird to ride with strangers. 

I like Miss Adventure Falls at TL, but only because you don't have to climb stairs to ride it. The ride itself is too short and too tame. 

I, of course, love your photos from back behind the 300 loop. Good job taking the girls back there. 

TCD

Yes...good point on the theming.  That may be one of the reasons I prefer TL too.  

3 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Great videos Dave, Thanks!  Nice to have a video break while its snowing and 20 degrees here  B)

You would think with the back of Everest never finished they could open it up again to fix the Yeti...... then button it back up and finish the outside right this time.

I think they will fix the Yeti after Walt thaws out and asks what the heck they are thinking with the damn strobe light.

18 minutes ago, TN22.....Brady said:

Love the trip report, especially all of the food pictures and drink options. TS is definitely on my list now, we have tried in the past, however, both times we attempted they were at capacity.

Raglan Road is one of my favorite spots as well. During our October trip we opted for the counter service that is attached to RR, I forget the name. The Fish & Chips were good and as I recall the Guinness was tasty. Inside RR I really like the Charcuterie board offering, IMHO some of the better cheese offerings in all of WDW.

In an upcoming update, I'll explain how we got into TS over Thanksgiving week with our girls.  It was packed that week!  

Trip Number Three - Father's Day at the KOA

Our next family trip was a long weekend at the Nashville KOA to celebrate Father's Day.  But first, there was another Orlando trip in May for just INC and I...of which I have zero pictures.  She and I went to central FL to celebrate my Dad's 80th birthday.  My brother and sister and their spouses joined us as well, and the 8 of us rented a house with a pool and hot tub for 4 days of relaxing, talking, eating, swimming, and laughing.  It was nice, and my Dad loved having his kids all there with him and my Mom.  We are doing something similar this year for my Mom's 80th...only she wanted a cruise, so that's what we'll do.  While in Orlando for the birthday weekend, INC and I did slip away for an afternoon to go to Typhoon Lagoon together.  We still had those AP's, remember, so I was sure to pack the Magic Bands so we could do that.  If you ever get the chance to go to a water park with just your significant other, and no kids, DO IT!  So relaxing and fun.  

Anyways, back to Father's Day.  I booked the KOA in Nashville as it's close to us, has a newly refurbished pool, and over Father's Day weekend they don't charge extra for kids.  That brought the site charge down from 2 sold kidneys to 1.  

I booked a patio site, which comes with a nice paved site with firepit and patio furniture.  These sites are expensive, but we enjoyed the paved, landscaped sitting area and the furniture is actually really nice composite stuff, including a swing.  

uVcc-kW__Fw8B7J4f3wJw2YDcEHP9GXfhwL2Ki81

Anna was set up here watching the tablet.  Perfect camping activity....LOL.

EDdn6GJ6YBQhKZApq_DHtN1hbhuvdf9oclxTWPks

Mabel loves camping.

ltw8yYS2FN6m9aQcXd5G9_JY3m_kxR_65Jqw5Ak5

The KOA has a nice clubhouse building, with lots of comfy seating, games, and a snack bar that serves breakfast and lunch items.  

b1Aj0EtMlM-AM47ot2iTRSHtNGBIda-i-HbPYnIt

One of the mornings there, we opted to try their breakfast rather than cook.  It was really good!!

Anna got pancakes.

ne7-YPX32MFh4Ai7HQrTRL7M_gKiZAVcrX1U6bA5

pXHKK2e9RdPdQeu1uW_8Pd1A59iCO5ChyGgarSYs

Big mouth....LOL

WFOLexKLj32bnUuYyW7k6-dlgYJdvoTZv-deQOGo

Stella got the french toast and she really enjoyed that too.

nJCYsC4lJM2pZcsKVdEmxU5BfBWjLYaGEEAp8a4J

6u3cCptlwUm326vLgyfB_S4ux_hQgDW4dOPL8G76

This shows the pool area, with a rec hall in the background.  They have rally potlucks, dances and other events in that rec hall.  We stayed here for Thanksgiving several years ago and they served a Thanksgiving dinner in that hall for all campers.  It was really nice and well done. 

K804e9jYmpeWB2osud1F4hsJ-wzoflTr1H3YOsjo

In the pool area, you can see some of those big shade sail canopies in the background.  There are lots of tables and chairs, and an outdoor bar area where they do ice cream socials and stuff.  

Heading to the pool. 

I4NJXSIj9S5rwzQtkgaVXv5rwwQcM_DxQs1QSsR2

jiahLGCXAneoFNdaVsIUqEgujPlqWlgAncvAaYxh

We spent a lot of time in the pool this weekend.  The weather was hot, and the water felt great.

hkA1mlzB4s-DfQ26GQ24NCdsnypRpmW_xui1Dlbi

fFDwxhuOG5G5u_MoYs_R2wgqNBXjuK5rJtIB4bhU

qrT8dGWvyzzk4Z9RSCF1P089hIGcG0t9NzheJRHN

They sell these pretty inexpensively in the camp store....ice cold.  

sFFrEWuSdovAx3Ae82REBgEVGHbM3sGwtRzF2wWG

When they did the refurb, they added a nice sunning shelf.

UT6jmSPXxbDLVUVglvOrTWhmU6X45Wy5r3gkr-v5

Not sure whether this is a postive or a negative, but there is a Camping World within walking distance of the campground.  And they have a big a$$ flag.

Zl8P5eKq2E0ARL3Jce9ovJWF0dwRBc2uIcZsFY_e

They do fun activities for the kids on the weekend at the KOA.  One day, they brought out a big bubble machine.  

u1ZXGrnDWE5Xp-94NJg8ExUCYv-AbpqMkOhHZEVD

JO4fn7_epLPo2JLvA_tjWKvB8dZ9JttDClCm2Soh

I'll leave it here for now.  

Coming up....one more update to wrap up Father's Day.  We go out for Father's Day dinner....my choice.  Hmmm....what would DIT choose for Father's Day out??  Plus, we hit the Waffle House for breakfast on our way home.  Will the excitement ever stop??

Okay...we've been in Savannah, so I'm now caught up.  Let's see:  the water parks.  We've never done those.  Our youngest has just figured out how to hold his breath under water, so we're getting him some lessons before our trip to the Fort in June.  I guess I've been waiting to spend the money on the water parks, until the kids were older and decent swimmers.  As you'll remember, young kiddos and water = lots of stress ?

Holiday World...um, yes please!  I mean, who wouldn't want to visit a town called Santa Claus??

I love your selfie pics with your girls.  Such sweet moments.

The Nashville KOA...considering that, for a trip this year.  Sounds like you'd recommend it?  We'll either squeeze in a weekend there or Pigeon Forge.

The big a$$ flag is AWESOME.  CW, is not ?

31 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Okay...we've been in Savannah, so I'm now caught up.  Let's see:  the water parks.  We've never done those.  Our youngest has just figured out how to hold his breath under water, so we're getting him some lessons before our trip to the Fort in June.  I guess I've been waiting to spend the money on the water parks, until the kids were older and decent swimmers.  As you'll remember, young kiddos and water = lots of stress ?

Holiday World...um, yes please!  I mean, who wouldn't want to visit a town called Santa Claus??

I love your selfie pics with your girls.  Such sweet moments.

The Nashville KOA...considering that, for a trip this year.  Sounds like you'd recommend it?  We'll either squeeze in a weekend there or Pigeon Forge.

The big a$$ flag is AWESOME.  CW, is not ?

If you want to visit Nashville I'd recommend the KOA as close to the city.   If proximity isn't critical, look at Seven Points COE.  Beautiful.  But no sewer hookup.  

Then again, if PF is an option I'd pick that over Nashville, especially with kids.  Tons to do.  I recommend Chatt over Nashville with kids for that matter. 

If you've not been to Holiday World I highly recommend it.  And they have their own campground.   Very nice. 

6 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Dave,

Is that the KOA next to the Grand Ole Opry?  If so it has changed a lot since our overnight there in 2014!  That pool looks great, it actually looks like you get more for your money now.

WBI

I was thinking it looked really nice to for a KOA