The Year In Review: DIT Takes Disney Love To A New Level In 2017

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy New Year!! It's hard to believe 2017 is over, and 2018 is here.  For a variety of reasons, 2017 was a bit of a tough year around the DIT ranch.  I got off-line to focus on more important th

Yes, I'm still alive. A little bird told me that Dave was embarrassing himself by doing a TR, so I needed to read how he crashed and burned..........this time. I sure hope he didn't run into Melvin th

Trip #5 - Fall Break at Dollywood Our kids typically get 3 days off in October for fall break, which makes for a 5 day weekend.  Not long enough to head to the Fort unless we pulled them out of s

3 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Yes! All the food is included, however, the room service waiters like to get a tip. Also, soft drinks are included on Disney cruises. The only extra food charge is if you go to the fancy restaurants, (Palo, and one other, I forget), there is an upcharge.

Ah...this must be why, people I know joke about dieting before they go on a cruise.  Sounds like you (can) eat, a lot!

Let's get this portion of the Trip Report wrapped up.  I have a lot of ground to cover with our other trips, so we should wrap up the cruise and move on to Spring Break.

But before we wrap up, we have some very interesting pictures to view first.  

As I have teased, our encounter on the beach with the dog wasn't the only time we'd run into our 4 legged friend.  After returning to the ship from our day on Castaway Cay, we went to the cabin to get cleaned up for the evening.  As I did the day before, I called down to room service to order a cheese plate that we could enjoy on the verandah with some wine.  I really, really would love to be doing that right now.  Anyways, we got cleaned up and headed out to enjoy our evening.  

We had to finish up the wine we brought onboard, so we walked with our glasses.  I think you aren't supposed to do that....but after a couple of glasses of wine I turn into a rule breaker.  Also, as is often the case when walking around the World Showcase at Epcot, I can't resist a British phone booth when I'm drinking.

xXpJgD9Ty-IqGGZYaZedTUl2M1OUj-rC5RBAtUUB

Don't judge.  I've seen y'alls pictures.  You can't resist the phone booth either.  

Our first stop of the evening, as I'm sure won't be a surprise to anyone, was the pub for a drink and some wings.  Instead of beer tonight, I opted for a scotch.

ZoatBUdhUAX-FscIQNCIvjevj7q02tpPRPldzHOv

As you can see in this picture, the place was still empty.  It was early, but the place does fill up later on.

A9nOPNLze2iymFOKWcxzcnHZt1KarN0RbDyOr6sm

Even though it was early, they brought out the wings and we enjoyed some.  

At this point, we still had a little time before that evening's entertainment, which was the new Frozen show they debuted on the Wonder after the refurbishment.  The Navigator indicated there was a Minnie Mouse character meet in the lobby atrium, so we wandered over there to check things out. 

We arrived in the atrium, and INC grabbed my arm and said "look who's in line for Minnie".   

I turned around, and there they were.  

Yes, you guessed it.  

E369z3WyM9_GaIDo1cgXpIiB-crXa0LdWEIGXjxw

But wait....was the dog wearing a hat??

Yes, indeed, it was.

And not just a hat.  When it was their turn to meet Minnie, they turned and I got a better look.  The dog was wearing a full captains uniform.  

I bet you've never seen a mouse high fiving a dog before.

Vy7_zHzy0mTJNqrv8nQGu4CMagQZC9EqRZURL5SM

The interaction lasted for a few minutes.  And they turned to face where Mom was standing so she could take pictures.  

_6Ght0TF3ZzWWnyJh1cVnTzVnm33L_qbGIGAlpZ7

bE5dDrOVp9akXCjcqExpXhhns12xh2Buw8Q5mNY9

TsR1mXl-iNTbrjEXYrbm1eXEpLJb_0WhYs6GEfQc

wTRD2TbRfDaMt0Kc--KKYYcHO6TsIQ9JemSC6AC1

When the interaction with Minnie was over, they started to walk away.  I wanted to ask where Tennille was, but INC wouldn't let me.  

Part of me feels a tad guilty about taking pictures of strangers on a cruise.  But I came to the realization that, if you dress your dachshund up in a captains outfit and take it to meet Minnie Mouse, you are probably ok with the attention.  

So, after that episode was over, we went to see Frozen, A Musical Spectacular.  Like most of you, I was fairly sick of Frozen by the time we sailed on this cruise.  But I love the productions they present on DCL cruises, so I didn't want to miss it.  And it was excellent!  Very well done I thought.  I would love for Anna to see it some day.  She'd go nuts.  

After the show we made our way to Royal Court for dinner.  Mr and Mrs Perky Prepperson were again dressed in matching outfits.  They really annoyed the crap out of me, and gave me at least one reason why 3 nights was plenty.  Anyways, dinner was good, but this was our least favorite dinner of the 3.  Animators Palate and Tiana's were both fun experiences, while Royal Court is just a nice restaurant.  There isn't a fun atmosphere or show...it's just dinner.  Still enjoyable nonetheless.

So what did we eat?

I started with some delicious garlic butter.  They threw some snails in to round it out, but let's be honest...we order it for the garlic butter and crusty bread.

IzASQmoDXLlSC3lRAyGeW-9EndX6v9XhJlu1B8-w

INC had some mushroom ravioli...this was not a good dish.

qS-DXDYsE8swsvF4xtLPMKg-cGnzMH4y8xCqKMsn

They had duck on the menu, and I love me some ducky.  It was served with roasted root vegetables.

eh1fv_jEydEBVzU5fxNvDbAQvVu8Q0jVZsZbBXqv

Dessert.....

7f6SH5iKhpF8nmecGwmd1GJj54UllbyWiUbZtm3I

QNmTlfHBCWXbUKs62YvXNIw66Div_Ro3hMEnId3Q

O0WLJZHR_eW00yPqjYijAcQZwACMf6ngM-_Zy73N

And that was that for dinner. 

Not wanting our last evening to end, we headed back down to the nightclub section to listen to some music.  One observation I've had on my two DCL cruises, which may not always be the case, is that the nightclubs are never packed.  They seem to get a decent crowd, but I imagine being geared more toward families than some other cruise lines may impact that.  The places were probably half full.  Regardless, we enjoyed ourselves, and I got some artsy pictures down there.

mroQyOCY1yNmuarJIu8pL7Yt6TdDspUbyi_zp78X

I thought the lights down there were really cool.  I thought it might make a good picture of that last light if I stood directly under it looking up.

qvL_AV0sfmlpmTCOuUoOloAvFktJK9rfOXS5kg5o

It didn't.

But that didn't stop me from trying it again on another light.

IUJ-97rOkAr_zzJqfMlHNrW7XfZQDYCQ8z1xkicN

After that excitement, we turned in for the night.  We had put our luggage out in the hall earlier to be picked up, so all we had to do was go to bed and wait to be kicked off the ship in the morning.

After breakfast and debarkation, we made our way to the luggage pickup and then to our DCL bus transport to MCO.  We had to get our bags and take them to the bus, but I think if you purchase your air travel through Disney and do onboard checkin, your bags will go to the airport automatically.  (I think....maybe someone can confirm that).  

We made it seamlessly back to MCO, and safely home to Nashville.  Cruising out of Port Canaveral is SO easy, IMO.  MCO is an easy airport, having Disney transport available takes a lot of stress away, and the entire process is easy to me.  

My overall thoughts on the cruise?  Awesome!  Yes, 3 nights is too short.  There is no doubt about that.  But our only option was not going.  So it was completely worth it to us.  I wouldn't hesitate to do another 3 night Disney cruise if that was all we could get away.  But truth be told....7 nights to Alaska would be better!  (no, that's not foreshadowing.  We have not done or booked that cruise.  Yet.)  

Well, that's it for Trip #1 of 2017.  But don't go away....this report is just getting started!  Coming up next....Spring Break at the Fort!  And yes, Carol, that will include Anna pics.  

39 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Uh oh my girls like ranch with their wings.
I believe last year RCC started charging for room service unless you are in a suite. Hopefully DCL won't start doing that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, I love your girls, so I will cut them some slack.  But you really should work on that....

2 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Ah...this must be why, people I know joke about dieting before they go on a cruise.  Sounds like you (can) eat, a lot!

Yes, you can.  

Now, as much as I went overboard (ha, no pun intended) on this cruise, I have actually cruised previously where I ate so well from a healthy perspective that I lost weight.  There are plenty of "good" food options onboard, and they will work with you to accommodate individual needs or preferences.  On that cruise, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and my meals, and had more energy as I wasn't in a food coma half the time.  I should try that again next time.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

When the interaction with Minnie was over, they started to walk away.  I wanted to ask where Tennille was, but INC wouldn't let me.  

Oh goodness...I just don't understand.  Oh well. I feel sorry for the dog. 

And yes... you should have asked ;) :lol:

5 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Let's get this portion of the Trip Report wrapped up.  I have a lot of ground to cover with our other trips, so we should wrap up the cruise and move on to Spring Break.

But before we wrap up, we have some very interesting pictures to view first.  

As I have teased, our encounter on the beach with the dog wasn't the only time we'd run into our 4 legged friend.  After returning to the ship from our day on Castaway Cay, we went to the cabin to get cleaned up for the evening.  As I did the day before, I called down to room service to order a cheese plate that we could enjoy on the verandah with some wine.  I really, really would love to be doing that right now.  Anyways, we got cleaned up and headed out to enjoy our evening.  

We had to finish up the wine we brought onboard, so we walked with our glasses.  I think you aren't supposed to do that....but after a couple of glasses of wine I turn into a rule breaker.  Also, as is often the case when walking around the World Showcase at Epcot, I can't resist a British phone booth when I'm drinking.

xXpJgD9Ty-IqGGZYaZedTUl2M1OUj-rC5RBAtUUB

Don't judge.  I've seen y'alls pictures.  You can't resist the phone booth either.  

Our first stop of the evening, as I'm sure won't be a surprise to anyone, was the pub for a drink and some wings.  Instead of beer tonight, I opted for a scotch.

ZoatBUdhUAX-FscIQNCIvjevj7q02tpPRPldzHOv

As you can see in this picture, the place was still empty.  It was early, but the place does fill up later on.

A9nOPNLze2iymFOKWcxzcnHZt1KarN0RbDyOr6sm

Even though it was early, they brought out the wings and we enjoyed some.  

At this point, we still had a little time before that evening's entertainment, which was the new Frozen show they debuted on the Wonder after the refurbishment.  The Navigator indicated there was a Minnie Mouse character meet in the lobby atrium, so we wandered over there to check things out. 

We arrived in the atrium, and INC grabbed my arm and said "look who's in line for Minnie".   

I turned around, and there they were.  

Yes, you guessed it.  

E369z3WyM9_GaIDo1cgXpIiB-crXa0LdWEIGXjxw

But wait....was the dog wearing a hat??

Yes, indeed, it was.

And not just a hat.  When it was their turn to meet Minnie, they turned and I got a better look.  The dog was wearing a full captains uniform.  

I bet you've never seen a mouse high fiving a dog before.

Vy7_zHzy0mTJNqrv8nQGu4CMagQZC9EqRZURL5SM

The interaction lasted for a few minutes.  And they turned to face where Mom was standing so she could take pictures.  

_6Ght0TF3ZzWWnyJh1cVnTzVnm33L_qbGIGAlpZ7

bE5dDrOVp9akXCjcqExpXhhns12xh2Buw8Q5mNY9

TsR1mXl-iNTbrjEXYrbm1eXEpLJb_0WhYs6GEfQc

Part of me feels a tad guilty about taking pictures of strangers on a cruise.  But I came to the realization that, if you dress your dachshund up in a captains outfit and take it to meet Minnie Mouse, you are probably ok with the attention.  

So, after that episode was over, we went to see Frozen, A Musical Spectacular.  Like most of you, I was fairly sick of Frozen by the time we sailed on this cruise.  But I love the productions they present on DCL cruises, so I didn't want to miss it.  And it was excellent!  Very well done I thought.  I would love for Anna to see it some day.  She'd go nuts.  

After the show we made our way to Royal Court for dinner.  Mr and Mrs Perky Prepperson were again dressed in matching outfits.  They really annoyed the crap out of me, and gave me at least one reason why 3 nights was plenty.  Anyways, dinner was good, but this was our least favorite dinner of the 3.  Animators Palate and Tiana's were both fun experiences, while Royal Court is just a nice restaurant.  There isn't a fun atmosphere or show...it's just dinner.  Still enjoyable nonetheless.

So what did we eat?

I started with some delicious garlic butter.  They threw some snails in to round it out, but let's be honest...we order it for the garlic butter and crusty bread.

IzASQmoDXLlSC3lRAyGeW-9EndX6v9XhJlu1B8-w

INC had some mushroom ravioli...this was not a good dish.

qS-DXDYsE8swsvF4xtLPMKg-cGnzMH4y8xCqKMsn

They had duck on the menu, and I love me some ducky.  It was served with roasted root vegetables.

eh1fv_jEydEBVzU5fxNvDbAQvVu8Q0jVZsZbBXqv

Dessert.....

7f6SH5iKhpF8nmecGwmd1GJj54UllbyWiUbZtm3I

QNmTlfHBCWXbUKs62YvXNIw66Div_Ro3hMEnId3Q

O0WLJZHR_eW00yPqjYijAcQZwACMf6ngM-_Zy73N

And that was that for dinner. 

Not wanting our last evening to end, we headed back down to the nightclub section to listen to some music.  One observation I've had on my two DCL cruises, which may not always be the case, is that the nightclubs are never packed.  They seem to get a decent crowd, but I imagine being geared more toward families than some other cruise lines may impact that.  The places were probably half full.  Regardless, we enjoyed ourselves, and I got some artsy pictures down there.

mroQyOCY1yNmuarJIu8pL7Yt6TdDspUbyi_zp78X

I thought the lights down there were really cool.  I thought it might make a good picture of that last light if I stood directly under it looking up.

qvL_AV0sfmlpmTCOuUoOloAvFktJK9rfOXS5kg5o

It didn't.

But that didn't stop me from trying it again on another light.

IUJ-97rOkAr_zzJqfMlHNrW7XfZQDYCQ8z1xkicN

After that excitement, we turned in for the night.  We had put our luggage out in the hall earlier to be picked up, so all we had to do was go to bed and wait to be kicked off the ship in the morning.

After breakfast and debarkation, we made our way to the luggage pickup and then to our DCL bus transport to MCO.  We had to get our bags and take them to the bus, but I think if you purchase your air travel through Disney and do onboard checkin, your bags will go to the airport automatically.  (I think....maybe someone can confirm that).  

We made it seamlessly back to MCO, and safely home to Nashville.  Cruising out of Port Canaveral is SO easy, IMO.  MCO is an easy airport, having Disney transport available takes a lot of stress away, and the entire process is easy to me.  

My overall thoughts on the cruise?  Awesome!  Yes, 3 nights is too short.  There is no doubt about that.  But our only option was not going.  So it was completely worth it to us.  I wouldn't hesitate to do another 3 night Disney cruise if that was all we could get away.  But truth be told....7 nights to Alaska would be better!  (no, that's not foreshadowing.  We have not done or booked that cruise.  Yet.)  

Well, that's it for Trip #1 of 2017.  But don't go away....this report is just getting started!  Coming up next....Spring Break at the Fort!  And yes, Carol, that will include Anna pics.  

Wow, very nice!! We might try a 3-day cruise again. Like you, we are not beach people. Our one stop on Castaway Cay all those years ago was not too pleasant. We decided to walk/scooter out to the adult beach, we also left the boat late because I wanted to go on the Aqua Duck without a line first. It was HOT on CC, there were no chairs in the shade left. We spent our day at CC at the adult bar, then the adult lunch place, then wandered the shops a bit, then back to the boat. Didn't even get near the water. We probably would have had a better day on our balcony with drinks we brought with us and a good book.

10 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

....7 nights to Alaska would be better!  (no, that's not foreshadowing.  We have not done or booked that cruise.  Yet.

Coming up next....Spring Break at the Fort!  

You need to..it is a great trip, just ask Lou..  :lol:

Can't wait........

So you need a passport for a Disney Cruise? 

Not unless you depart from outside the United States or if it is one of the transitioning cruises. However, should something happen that delays you getting back to the ship while at a non U.S. port a passport would be very helpful.

9 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

You need to..it is a great trip, just ask Lou..  

I can't recommend the Alaska cruise enough, non stop amazing scenery. Of all our DCL cruises, it was by far the best. Sharing it with Dave and Linda made it even better.

enhance

11 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Oh goodness...I just don't understand.  Oh well. I feel sorry for the dog. 

And yes... you should have asked ;) :lol:

I have a feeling he wouldn't have found it funny.  

11 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Wow, very nice!! We might try a 3-day cruise again. Like you, we are not beach people. Our one stop on Castaway Cay all those years ago was not too pleasant. We decided to walk/scooter out to the adult beach, we also left the boat late because I wanted to go on the Aqua Duck without a line first. It was HOT on CC, there were no chairs in the shade left. We spent our day at CC at the adult bar, then the adult lunch place, then wandered the shops a bit, then back to the boat. Didn't even get near the water. We probably would have had a better day on our balcony with drinks we brought with us and a good book.

I'd recommend giving Serenity Bay another try....go a bit earlier, find a nice spot to relax, and bring your book out there.  Heavenly.  

11 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

So what’s the deal with that animal? I don’t get it.

What a great cruise! I can’t wait to sail on the Wonder.

Good thing you hate Disney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, right?  I'm glad this was the only time last year I had to waste my vacation time with Disney.  Well, almost.  

11 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

You need to..it is a great trip, just ask Lou..  :lol:

Can't wait........

Someday....I hope.  

9 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Yvonne beat me to the answer....which in the case of a Bahamas or Caribbean cruise is TYPICALLY no.  But in situations where you do not need a passport, you do need picture ID (for an adult) and an original, certified birth certificate for everyone.  Which is what we did for our cruises with our kids.  But INC and I have passports, so we use those.

9 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Not unless you depart from outside the United States or if it is one of the transitioning cruises. However, should something happen that delays you getting back to the ship while at a non U.S. port a passport would be very helpful.

Yes.

1 hour ago, Lou... said:

I can't recommend the Alaska cruise enough, non stop amazing scenery. Of all our DCL cruises, it was by far the best. Sharing it with Dave and Linda made it even better.

enhance

I never tire of seeing pictures of Dave, Linda and Gail.  

21 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

My parents too, loved their cruise to Alaska (and that's saying a lot as they are beach people).  I want to say, that they've been on 4 cruises and Alaska was their favorite.

I hear that a lot.  Must do it some day.

What a great trip.

thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

i still want to know how and why they brought their dog.

i love our dogs but I’m not taking them on a cruise  

I don’t think I could do a 3 day cruise. It takes me a day or two to unwind and I love days at sea.  

I am a beach person and I love cruising. And have done more than 10 cruises. But I’ve never done an Alaskan cruise.   But everyone I’ve talked to that has cruised multiple times says that their Alaskan cruise was their best cruise ever.   

I guess we will have to try it one day. 

10 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

While you don't need a passport, I suggest getting one, we had a problem this past trip because one of our group had a birth certificate issued from a hospital and it was not acceptable, resulting in an expensive solution of having a travel agent from the state where they were born making a trip to pick up a copy from the state records and faxing it to Disney before they could board. I think it ended up costing several hundred before it was all over. Getting a passport is fairly simple and if you only get the card it is not expensive.

4 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

What a great trip.

thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

i still want to know how and why they brought their dog.

i love our dogs but I’m not taking them on a cruise  

I don’t think I could do a 3 day cruise. It takes me a day or two to unwind and I love days at sea.  

I am a beach person and I love cruising. And have done more than 10 cruises. But I’ve never done an Alaskan cruise.   But everyone I’ve talked to that has cruised multiple times says that their Alaskan cruise was their best cruise ever.   

I guess we will have to try it one day. 

I wanted to do an Alaska cruise on DCL with all my kids and my son in law.  So, 8 of us in 2 cabins.  When it priced out at close to $16,000 I changed my mind.  

3 hours ago, BigTom said:

While you don't need a passport, I suggest getting one, we had a problem this past trip because one of our group had a birth certificate issued from a hospital and it was not acceptable, resulting in an expensive solution of having a travel agent from the state where they were born making a trip to pick up a copy from the state records and faxing it to Disney before they could board. I think it ended up costing several hundred before it was all over. Getting a passport is fairly simple and if you only get the card it is not expensive.

While that extra cost is hard to take, it's amazing it all worked out and they were able to board.  What a mess!

2 hours ago, Lantana said:

That poor dog.

Loving your report and you certainly made me want to try a cruise.

Can’t wait to read about the Fort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again for reading!  

30 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I wanted to do an Alaska cruise on DCL with all my kids and my son in law.  So, 8 of us in 2 cabins.  When it priced out at close to $16,000 I changed my mind.    

Wow!  Two cabins for $16,000. That’s crazy.    But I looked into a Alaskan cruise for the theee of us on princess.  This June. And it would be $4800. 3 people per room And $6,000 for 4 people per room.   That’s for balconies 

2 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

What??!!!!! What did we miss here??? Who got married??

I missed it too! But I miss everything, lol.

As far as the dachshund/captain, I didn't see that coming. Are you sure you weren't on some hidden camera show?

20 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Again I say, while shaking head, some people and their pets are truly strange.

AND I am so sorry you didn't ask where Tennille was - would have loved to hear that answer!!!!

6 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Wow!  Two cabins for $16,000. That’s crazy.    But I looked into a Alaskan cruise for the theee of us on princess.  This June. And it would be $4800. 3 people per room And $6,000 for 4 people per room.   That’s for balconies 

Add in the standard DCL premium and that makes sense.  

6 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You were wrong- I never imagined a dachshund in a captain's outfit. 

LOL at the Tennille reference. Muskrat Love. 

TCD

You bet.  Love will keep us together.  

6 hours ago, caveat lector said:

Do I travel alot..nope

Do I have any desire to leave my country......nope

Do I have  a passport.....u bet your xxx......I always want to be able to get home.

Definitely.  Would not want to be stuck in some foreign country waiting for the State Department to act.  

6 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

What??!!!!! What did we miss here??? Who got married??

Oh my;gosh....that happened in 2016.  Gwen is married.  

5 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Dave... you should post a couple of pictures.  The ones I saw, were beautiful :wub:

Thanks Nacole...I'll try to post some sometime.

3 hours ago, dvccamper said:

I missed it too! But I miss everything, lol.

As far as the dachshund/captain, I didn't see that coming. Are you sure you weren't on some hidden camera show?

I might have been punked.

3 hours ago, lightbikes said:

Again I say, while shaking head, some people and their pets are truly strange.

AND I am so sorry you didn't ask where Tennille was - would have loved to hear that answer!!!!

I really should have.