A Lot of First's this trip

Last time we were at Epcot while waiting for the fireworks we got to talking to a gentleman next to us and his wife. He had multiple health issues and got to telling us about his service dog, which he doesn't bring to the parks. Said it was just to much and even though the dog could ride on the scooter that it's not how the dog was trained and with his wife there to monitor him he can get along without the dog. (I can't remember what the dog was used for but some kind of warning maybe seizures or something). He then went on a big rant about the amount of "service dogs" he'd seen that day and how unwell behaved most had been.

The same day we did see a gentleman with a larger dog that parked next to us. While getting out we said hello and I would say from the training the dog had it was a true service dog.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep.  Pet peeve of mine, for the reason that (some) folks are now bringing Fido into parks, restaurants, markets, etc... simply because they don't want to leave them.  I've personally met people, who

Let me start with letting you all know there are NO pictures on this mini trip report plus my computer skills do not help in being able to post if there were any. We did seem to think that this w

I wonder if there is a big enough "service animal" vest to fit me.  I could get into the park free, and it would definitely cut down on my wife's stress level knowing that I wasn't at crockets running

11 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Okay... last I'll say and then I'll stop hijacking Dave's thread (sorry Dave).

My mom has lived with chronic severe pain, her entire life.  She has horrible arthritis. It's attacked every part of her body.  Her first memories of being in severe pain, were age 8.  Age 8.  And yet, she never used the handicap spaces until her mid-60's, when she (basically) could not walk.  She never used those spots because she would say, "I remember being with Grandpa, who truly needed a spot, and people had abused the system and taken up those spaces, so he didn't get to go to the store that day.  As long as I can walk, I will walk".  

You don't abuse the system.  You don't dismiss the people, who need the help.  

My, soon to be 79 year old mother is the same way.  Thread so no hijacking. LOL! She refuses to park in handicap spaces because she says others need it more than her. She parks by the cart corral‘s and uses a shopping cart to make it into and around the store.

BTW hijacking is encouraged especially on Dave’s threads however this is Rennie’s Thread so no hijacking. LOL!

Just now, h2odivers...Ray said:

My, soon to be 79 year old mother is the same way.  Thread so no hijacking. LOL! She refuses to park in handicap spaces because she says others need it more than her. She parks by the cart corral‘s and uses a shopping cart to make it into and around the store. By the way I jacking is encouraged especially on Dave’s threads however this is Rennie’s Thread so no hijacking. LOL!

Haha... yeah, I fixed that (I thought I was on Dave's...:lol:).  I know Rennie will forgive me ^_^

I'll get off it now, because it's just upsetting me.  I guess it's personal.  I just don't understand, being so thoughtless.  I don't understand, putting yourself in front of others like that; thinking the rules don't apply to you.  And (with service animals) why...because you don't want to leave your flippin' dog at home?  Heck, our dog has separation anxiety and might be better off going with us, but we drug the pup up and put him in a crate (don't get me wrong, he's fine when we get back...just throws a huge fit when we leave).  But no way am I strapping on a vest and bringing him with us.   Ugh....

Nacole I don't mind the hijack at all, actually I like it as that is how this place used to be so I was kind of expecting it. I just don't want it to end up a debate thread and trust me I am on YOUR side on this subject but this is part of that All about me society we now live in.

Another first this trip but not by me but my oldest was the Baseline Tap Room, I see a lot of discussion on another thread and wanted to mention it here as he really liked it, so next time it is a definite stop for me

There is nothing that makes me angrier than when a grown adult tries to bend the rules to get away with something.  And most times, they just get away with it because no one has the guts anymore to call them out.  So I just want to take the opportunity to send a shout out to the server at 50's Primetime for setting things right, and making Rennie eat his green beans!!!!

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

There is nothing that makes me angrier than when a grown adult tries to bend the rules to get away with something.  And most times, they just get away with it because no one has the guts anymore to call them out.  So I just want to take the opportunity to send a shout out to the server at 50's Primetime for setting things right, and making Rennie eat his green beans!!!!

Yes but isn't it ALWAYS YOUR FAULT

8 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Hey come on, if I can eat my green beans than you can too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very true but I got the sampler platter  and MY rule is to eat all the meat ( fried chicken, pot roast and meatloaf ) first then potatoes and veggies so by then I was filled and no I didn't even try for dessert.

4 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Very true but I got the sampler platter  and MY rule is to eat all the meat ( fried chicken, pot roast and meatloaf ) first then potatoes and veggies so by then I was filled and no I didn't even try for dessert.

I hearby declare that to be "The Rennie Rule".....eat all the meat first, then potatoes, then veggies.  LOL.

I wonder if there is a big enough "service animal" vest to fit me.  I could get into the park free, and it would definitely cut down on my wife's stress level knowing that I wasn't at crockets running up my tab.

On 1/5/2018 at 8:37 AM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Yep.  Pet peeve of mine, for the reason that (some) folks are now bringing Fido into parks, restaurants, markets, etc... simply because they don't want to leave them.  I've personally met people, who have flat out told me that they didn't want to leave their pet, so they simply buy (which anyone can do) a "service animal" vest and in they go.  One couple at the Fort, actually went so far to have friend whose a doc, write a letter to say that their 4lb mutt "needed" to be with them for support (just in case anyone asked...but people are so afraid of not being "PC" anymore, that they rarely ask),   This because (he admitted) they didn't want to leave their dog behind.

Service animals, like handicap parking, should be protected.  It's boils my blood, to see people abuse the system because there are people who truly need assistance.  Some, whose lives may depend on it, and there are people who (basically) flick mud on that need because they want to bring their pet with them.  :angry: 

Yes they should. 

One article I read about true service animal vs someones self proclaimed "comfort animal" is the amount of training and the way they behave.  Most true service animals will be very close to their master, usually brushing against them all the time.  They are not easily distracted either. The majority will be on a short leash of some sort of handle. 

People that just bring their dogs because no one will question them have all different length leashes, the dogs are straining against them, they are sniffing all over the place, you know, being a dog.

I'm tired of encountering dogs in places where they used to be/should be banned just because people think they are better than everyone else.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:52 PM, caveat lector said:

I wonder if there is a big enough "service animal" vest to fit me.  I could get into the park free, and it would definitely cut down on my wife's stress level knowing that I wasn't at crockets running up my tab.

Oh gosh..:lol:

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I'm tired of encountering dogs in places where they used to be/should be banned just because people think they are better than everyone else.

Amen.  "PC" has gotten out of hand.  There should be stricter rules and people should be able to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

On another note, one day in Epcot I saw a group of helper animals being trained.  They were standing around the jumping water near the bridge to the worlds.  5-6 dogs in their training vests, each with a human teaching the dog.  All of a sudden over on the left side I saw the last helper in line, a small pony.  Still wonder what he/she was being trained to do for a human.  

13 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

On another note, one day in Epcot I saw a group of helper animals being trained.  They were standing around the jumping water near the bridge to the worlds.  5-6 dogs in their training vests, each with a human teaching the dog.  All of a sudden over on the left side I saw the last helper in line, a small pony.  Still wonder what he/she was being trained to do for a human.  

think ponies are used with individuals who have paralysis, as they can handle some weight being put on them.