First Christmas-time at Disney/Fort Wilderness

Our first Christmas at the Fort / Disney –

We were supposed to be there 12/10-12/15, however due to a wedding that our daughter was in our final exams for our son, I knew that week would be not doable – so when we came back home in November I logged in and was able to grab 12/17-20, but only by booking one day at a time.  Grrr – then the next day I grabbed the 22nd and the next day the 21st, so we were set. I then called and had them all combined.

We arrived on 12/17 which was a Sunday.  We haven’t ever checked-in on a Sunday, but since the wedding was on Saturday, a Sunday check-in it would be.  We left Saturday around 5 and drove to the St. Mary’s/N. Jacksonville KOA with a lovely 1a.m. arrival time.    We were up and on the road by 7 the next morning.

Welcome Home!

eN0c5Hg.jpg

We arrived at the Fort at 10:30 – which on any other check-in day we’ve arrived hasn’t been an issue.  We were about 4th in line.  Made it to a window and got all checked in and a site was available (nothing in the 1400 was available) so we headed to 1321 – which according the app and the cast member, we should fit.  We arrived at the site, and not enough room.  So, we called the number and requested 1320 as it was empty.  Well, someone had already requested that site, so they said they would find us a comparable site, and would send us a text.  Great – so we went back up front to overflow, and then were told we could park in the grass at the load/unloading place.  So, we joined the other 10-15 people who were parked there.   By this time is was 12:00 and by 12:30 we had a text telling us to head to 1222 – I was skeptical as the fort app showed the directional arrow in the photo so I knew it was the last site next to the entrance.  However, we made it to the site, and loved it!  It was a fantastic site.  1200 is a great loop. I walked around and took a few pics of the sites.

ZyeYBXP.jpg?2

dgnUTpU.jpg gKIL4F1.jpg

We got set-up and all were hungry so we headed to Epcot.  Traditionally MK is our first stop, but since it was a party night, we knew we would have to leave soon, so we opted to go to Epcot and Festival of the Holidays.  I didn’t get any food pics – but we tried several things – all that we tried today were really good.

aeNIXdJ.jpg r3nGIW5.jpg

Zdaab8m.jpg

We left Epcot around dark – and headed back to the fort.  1200 loop was a very decorated loop.  We walked around that loop and looked at all the decorations, and then headed to Trails End for our mugs, and drinks, and then looping we went.

I will say that I felt that not as many people were decorated for Christmas as was for Halloween, but those that did decorate went all out.  Very  beautiful.

We were all worn out from the long drive the day before and we called it an early night and just hung out at the campsite.

Monday, Day 2,  is MK, Hollywood Studios, and MK again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our first Christmas at the Fort / Disney – We were supposed to be there 12/10-12/15, however due to a wedding that our daughter was in our final exams for our son, I knew that week would be not d

Thanks - and number one spot too~ Thanks for joining.  You are welcome - I struggle with finding the time to do reports once we get back..but will keep this one going. Thanks and you are

Thanks for following along - Monday -First full day at Disney and the Fort. DH, DD, and I went looping that morning and headed to MK for a little while. We went to the Arribas Bros store and

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

Sweet!  I'm in.  

Thanks - and number one spot too~

1 hour ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

I'm in too! Again as I have been saying to the others, thank you for taking the time to do a trip report.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for joining.  You are welcome - I struggle with finding the time to do reports once we get back..but will keep this one going.

1 hour ago, Lantana said:

Beautiful pics and great info. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks and you are welcome.

1 hour ago, desiphil said:

Looks great and will be following along.

glad you are here.

48 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

I'm in also!!!!!!!

yay!

39 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Dang it Dave... stop taking that #1 spot.

I'm in!!  A trip back with the kids... yay!!   I bet you were happy :wub:

Yep - back with the kids - Yes, one happy mom to have her kids back in Disney with her.

Thanks for following along -

Monday -First full day at Disney and the Fort.

DH, DD, and I went looping that morning and headed to MK for a little while. We went to the Arribas Bros store and bought my mom a mug and had it engraved. 

dX58LAT.jpg?1

pwLrcbH.jpg

This is the Tumbler we bought for my mom.

R4wgkGH.jpg

We also went to Guest Relations to get dd her new AP card. Went back to the Campsite to get DS who slept in, and We then headed to Hollywood Studios around noon. 

I had gotten FPs for Toy Story mania for all 4 of us so we headed there.  Loser was supposed to buy lunch. 

7cVltTG.jpg?1

Well, I lost as usual, but since I stopped to watch the Star Wars show, they all left me and had already ordered and paid by the time I got there.  We chose Baseline Taproom for Pretzel and a Cheese plate.  The kids hadn’t eaten here before as they weren’t with us in October.  The pretzel was really good.  The cheese plate was great as usual. We really like this place for a midday snack. Somehow I didn’t get a pic of the pretzel, but here is the charcuterie board.  The goat cheese is my favorite.

2Nm2hRv.jpg?2

We headed back to the Fort for a break since  we were heading back to MK that evening.

DD wanted Sushi from the Poly for dinner, so we got on the boat and headed to MK boat stop.

We then were faced with choosing monorail, or boat to Poly.  DS chose monorail, and the rest of us took the resort boat.  He beat us by 10 minutes.  Upstairs to the Sushi Bar – alas, her hopes were dashed when they said the menu changes all the time, and they were not offering the sushi she wanted – headed over to tambu lounge, they were very crowded, so just decided to go down to Captain Cook’s.  Captain cooks was very crowded and very loud, but we managed to place an order and find a table.  Fun night of family conversation and laughs.  The food wasn’t all that great, but it was edible.  It started to fill up more and was getting very loud, so we left and took the monorail to MK.

Tree at the Polynesian

A74oLwG.jpghwsksx7.jpg

Upon arrival it looked really crowded at the entrance lines, but after getting in, it wasn’t too bad.  I was able to snag us a FP for the Jingle Cruise, and that’s about it.  FP were hard to get that week.  I had made a few for what we really wanted but plans change, and apparently not a good week to be randomly changing plans. We did ride the people mover, and stayed in the park until around 11, then we headed back to call it a night.

GllSPEN.jpg?1

u37m6aq.jpg?1

3n0lKjO.jpg

The crowds were thick depending on where you were in the park.  It was weird.  Tuesday will be a non-park day for us.

Beautiful pix.  

We passed by and checked out the baseline taproom. Right after we ate at the commissary. So we didn’t eat or drink anything but I really liked the looks of it inside and out.

BTW If you want to beat DH and the kids at toy story mania, let me know. I know several tricks to get your score well over 200,000 points. My personal best is 304,000 points. I know it’s not a record but I’m proud of the score. LOL

I think you made the right choice taking the boat to the Poly.   1/2 the time the monorail breakers down or gets stuck behind another train  lol  

Have y’all tried Trader Sam’s yet?  It’s a great place to hang out and they have the same pot stickers they have at ohana. 

11 hours ago, Beckers said:

Nothing more beautiful than Christmas at Disney!!!

I agree - I had seen pictures, however, there is nothing like being there in person.

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Agreed!  Except for maybe that cheese platter... seriously, how do I not know about these things?  lol :lol:

how did you not know about that?  You'll have to go try one next time.

2 hours ago, Seals said:

Enjoying your trip report. I would have been buying lunch after Toy Story Mania too so I'll have to remember not to make that agreement, or follow with the "you go ahead and I'll catch up" technique . That cheese plate looks delicious.

yep, stopping to watch the show was a easy way out of paying !  

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Excellent job on this trip report!

That cheese plate at the Baseline Tap House is called a charcuterie board. They can charge more for it that way. 

TCD

Thanks! 

Fancy name, fancy price!  thought I had already changed it to charcuterie, but I hadn't.  so it's fixed now.  We have had several charcuterie boards at Disney.  This one is very good.  The one at BOG is also quite good.

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Beautiful pix.  

We passed by and checked out the baseline taproom. Right after we ate at the commissary. So we didn’t eat or drink anything but I really liked the looks of it inside and out.

BTW If you want to beat DH and the kids at toy story mania, let me know. I know several tricks to get your score well over 200,000 points. My personal best is 304,000 points. I know it’s not a record but I’m proud of the score. LOL

I think you made the right choice taking the boat to the Poly.   1/2 the time the monorail breakers down or gets stuck behind another train  lol  

Have y’all tried Trader Sam’s yet?  It’s a great place to hang out and they have the same pot stickers they have at ohana. 

Thank you.

Baseline Taproom is a nice place to stop and sit and enjoy a snack.

I would love tips - my DS is always talking smack when it comes to that game. - I think sometimes I get so caught up in the competition and fun that I don't really try my best...lol

by taking the boat to the Poly, we figured son would be stuck on the monorail while we waited on him...he must have just had luck on his side that day.

We have tried to try Trader Sam's a couple of times, but always a long wait.  We honestly didn't even think of it that night.  Glad to know they have the pot stickers...hopefully one day we will get there.

Day 3 – Tuesday

Non park day!

DS and I headed to Disney Springs to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi.  We didn’t get the opportunity to see it before we left home.  We were going for the 10:30 movie, so were at the bus stop at 9:25 – at 10:00 we got on the bus to Disney Springs – yep, waited that long.  We arrived at Disney Springs at 10:15, and headed to the theater.  I didn’t realize that AMC was huge, and we walked in on the dine-in side – the 10:30 was on the traditional side but there were still seats available for the 10 showing on the dine-in side.  She said that the previews were still going, and we had about 5 minutes to still catch the 10:00 showing before the movie actually began.  So, off to the movie we went – I was perfectly fine skipping the previews.  We don’t have a dine-in theater at home so this was something  new to us.  We liked it – ordered some food and sat back and enjoyed the movie. I had the loaded tater tots, and DS had the chicken tenders.  Both were very good – overpriced – but good.

We liked the movie – and then walked around Disney springs for a while – and then back to the fort.  DH and DD had went to the Grand Floridian to see the Ginger Bread house and eat lunch at Gasparilla Grill, they really enjoy the chicken and brie sandwich.

Dinner that night was Food Truck – we all got kids meal hamburgers.  Then went looping to see all the decorations at night.

I didn’t take many pictures today at all.  But we did loop, and take some pics of the decorations so I will share those.  I purchased a new small camera before leaving, and opened this night so I was playing around with the settings.

hvsaDD97CPXUFBK3UYWQr89V1rYO512jcxVFZ-sL

30eJcN-gAiwxDvZGEIHl4dea4TBu6nPnEafxUYgo

ua86fzwCatEZ9AGaWLGxcXdpcjlNQqxd_-sXw5_J

IacuVl3l0GwBWi1BK28gdnIctFvzsOaLTTF_4B4V

Nab8NSMORapVLRWT26CzpPxmas8gwQY3Sx5hYTer

Day 4: Wednesday

A little bit of everywhere today.

First, the kids were sleeping in – so I headed to get a biscuit and gravy!  My view while waiting on my food.  (the time/date stamp on the camera wasn't set correctly - so ignore that)

I then looped around a couple of loops and then headed back to the site to eat.

5Pcxc8V.jpgI I   

I wanted to see the Gingerbread house, so I headed to Grand Floridian via boat to MK.  The boat docked at the resort  dock for GF/Poly – the line to get on that boat was huge!  Turns out, the resort monorail was down and it was prime breakfast reservation time, and they were using the big boat to get guests to the resorts.  So, I had already gotten off of the boat, and didn’t want to get in the line, and the monorail wasn’t working, so I went to Magic Kingdom.

I stayed on Main Street and the castle area.  Took a few pictures just playing with the camera, and just enjoyed being there.  I left after about 30 minutes, and headed via monorail to the GF.  Yes, I got on it even though it has just been down…anyway, arrived at the GF and it was so beautiful.

b5fKSvY.jpg zCPVR4t.jpg

oyDL6SV.jpg Mu9EuGv.jpg

CrjpyCV.jpg wKLR1Nh.jpg

SAOnbKi.jpg

After enjoying the GF, I headed back to MK, via monorail again, and went back in to MK, to pick up the tumbler I had gotten for my mom as it was supposed to be back from being engraved.  I headed back to the fort after that, via the boat of course.

Next will be Animal Kingdom - DD and I had Navi River passes.