Walt Disney World Reportedly Adding Bluetooth Door Entry For Those In On Property Resort Hotels

This Bluetooth door-opening technology is expected to roll out across Walt Disney World property in the future, but it is going to start small. Soon, it will begin operation at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa as well as Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort.

MagicBands are still going to be able to be used as an option for opening room doors while the Bluetooth technology is simply an addition.

As of this time, Walt Disney World has not announced anything and nothing is confirmed which means anything could change.

FULL STORY

https://www.inquisitr.com/4724846/walt-disney-world-reportedly-adding-bluetooth-door-entry-for-those-in-on-property-resort-hotels/

I read an article that stated they were adding blue tooth to the Magic Bands so the door would unlock when you walked up to the door rather than having to hold the magic band against the door.  The article posted here makes more sense given what the power requirements would be for a blue tooth Magic band.

I'm not sure what the point of this is. 

I love my cellphone, I carry it with me most of the time, when I'm bored I play games, look things up, read Fort Fiends, makes it much easier to keep in touch with people. But my world wouldn't come crashing down without it. I'd much rather have a MB, key card, or even an old school key to my hotel room then depending on my phone to open it.  For one we all know how much of a battery drain MDE is plus taking pictures or what not on my phone's there's been times I've left the parks with my battery drained. Don't want to be locked out of my room because my phone's dead. 

People depend to much on technology anymore, today at the grocery store the guy in front of me was freaking out because his Apple pay wouldn't work and he had no other way of paying. I personally like to carry at least a little cash on me and even at Disney with my CC linked to my MB I carry my wallet with my hard pass, and CC just in case.  It's like having a valid passport, you might not use it but you never know when you may need to leave the country in a hurry.........

5 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I'm not sure what the point of this is. 

I love my cellphone, I carry it with me most of the time, when I'm bored I play games, look things up, read Fort Fiends, makes it much easier to keep in touch with people. But my world wouldn't come crashing down without it. I'd much rather have a MB, key card, or even an old school key to my hotel room then depending on my phone to open it.  For one we all know how much of a battery drain MDE is plus taking pictures or what not on my phone's there's been times I've left the parks with my battery drained. Don't want to be locked out of my room because my phone's dead. 

People depend to much on technology anymore, today at the grocery store the guy in front of me was freaking out because his Apple pay wouldn't work and he had no other way of paying. I personally like to carry at least a little cash on me and even at Disney with my CC linked to my MB I carry my wallet with my hard pass, and CC just in case.  It's like having a valid passport, you might not use it but you never know when you may need to leave the country in a hurry.........

Agreed. I have the toys, just got a new Note 8 and I have a Gear 2 watch, but I don't use them for much of anything except notification. The Gear gives me a quick glance to see if I need to drag my phone out of the bottom of my bag right away, and my phone lets me know if I have to go crank up the laptop when I'm not sitting in front of it. I rarely actually use the phone for any actual transactions, email responses, or activities. I do all my MDE activities on a real laptop, then load them into my calendar program, so that my phone can notify when I need to be where. I prefer to use a real camera for pictures. I DO like the Magic Band as it is wearable, especially since I need it for entry into the comfort stations late at night. Many times, I would head for the comfort station before MBs, and realized my lanyard with my keycard was back in the camper grrrrrr.

Hilton uses something like this now in most of their properties...  They call it Digital Key.  I open up the Hilton app on my phone and when I get near the door, I either shake phone, or hit the unlock door button on the app.  I always opt in for it when I check in the day before arrival, but have found that I still need to get the "old fashioned" plastic key card (as opposed to the extra old fashioned door key), as this new service is sometime spotty at best. 

5 minutes ago, Duane said:

Hilton uses something like this now in most of their properties...  They call it Digital Key.  I open up the Hilton app on my phone and when I get near the door, I either shake phone, or hit the unlock door button on the app.  I always opt in for it when I check in the day before arrival, but have found that I still need to get the "old fashioned" plastic key card (as opposed to the extra old fashioned door key), as this new service is sometime spotty at best. 

Some Marriott properties have it also, but I always get a key card so I haven't tried it.

WBI