Multiple Sam's Clubs close without notice in Houston, across nation

HOUSTON -- There are reports coming into the KHOU 11 Newsroom that several Sam's Clubs locations across the country are closing effective immediately, including at least four in the Houston area.

Stores closed in Houston include one on the South Loop across from NRG Park, one at 7950 Cypress Creek Parkway and one on Westheimer at Eldridge Parkway. A newer store northeast of Houston in New Caney also closed.

Some employees tell KHOU 11 News the stores closed without notice, and they only learned of the closure as they arrived for work early Thursday.

Sam's website has already removed the closed stores, and if you call any of the impacted locations there is a taped message that announces the store closed Jan. 11.

The news comes the same day Sam's parent company, Walmart, announced raises for some store employees.

Check back for updates to this developing story.

============================================

If you Google this, all that you get are  local news reports, which are similar to the above one.

Some stories say the clubs are just closed for today, some say they are reopening tomorrow, and some say they are reopening tomorrow with discounted items and will be closing again on 1/26.

Haven't found a comprehensive list anywhere yet.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Multiple Sam's Clubs close without notice in Houston, across nation     CONNECT TWEET LINKEDIN GOOGLE+ PINTEREST HOUSTON -- There are reports coming into the K

Here's the list from Business Insider, 63 stores. 17835 Gale Ave, City of Industry, CA 91748 12540 Beach Blvd, Stanton, CA 90680 69 Pavilions Dr, Manchester, CT 06042 355 FL

And the schmuck would be you, right? 

11 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I would probably cry if our Sam’s Club closed.

It's weird how it's being reported.

Now if you Google it, there are numerous stories, and they are all rolling in about the same time, but they all are just reporting on local stores and saying that they have heard about stores closing nationwide.

Our local Sam's is closed today and its posted on the door they're last day would be at the end of January. Everyone here is shocked, the store is always packed here in south Tampa.

Here's the list from Business Insider, 63 stores.

• 17835 Gale Ave, City of Industry, CA 91748
  • 12540 Beach Blvd, Stanton, CA 90680
  • 69 Pavilions Dr, Manchester, CT 06042
  • 355 FL-436, Fern Park, FL 32730
  • 5135 S Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33611
  • 2994 Turner Hill Rd, Lithonia, GA 30038
  • 501 N Randall Rd, Batavia, IL 60510
  • 21430 S Cicero Ave, Matteson, IL 60443
  • 900 S Barrington Rd, Streamwood, IL 60107
  • 1055 McHenry Rd, Wheeling, IL 60090
  • 808 S Illinois Rte 59, Naperville, IL 60540
  • 460 S Weber Rd, Romeoville, IL 60446
  • 3015 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46268
  • 10859 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46229
  • 4024 Elkhart Rd #1, Goshen, IN 46526
  • 9598 Cortana Pl, Baton Rouge, LA 70815
  • 9750 Reisterstown Rd, Owings Mills, MD 21117
  • 3745 Louisiana Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426
  •  2800 27th Ave S, Moorhead, MN 56560
  • 81 International Dr S, Budd Lake, NJ 07828
  • 2649 Erie Blvd E, Syracuse, NY 13224
  • 720 Fairmount Ave, Jamestown, NY 14701
  • 700 Elmridge Center Dr, Rochester, NY 14626
  • 1600 Marketplace Dr, Rochester, NY 14623
  • 4825 Marburg Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45209
  • 9570 Fields Ertel Rd, Loveland, OH 45140
  • 1805 Getwell Rd, Memphis, TN 38111
  • 1615 S Loop W, Houston, TX 77054
  • 13331 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77077
  • 901 S Grady Way, Renton, WA 98057
  • 1101 Outlet Collection Way, Auburn, WA 98001
  • 13550 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98133
49 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Here's the list from Business Insider, 63 stores.

• 17835 Gale Ave, City of Industry, CA 91748
  • 12540 Beach Blvd, Stanton, CA 90680
  • 69 Pavilions Dr, Manchester, CT 06042
  • 355 FL-436, Fern Park, FL 32730
  • 5135 S Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL 33611
  • 2994 Turner Hill Rd, Lithonia, GA 30038
  • 501 N Randall Rd, Batavia, IL 60510
  • 21430 S Cicero Ave, Matteson, IL 60443
  • 900 S Barrington Rd, Streamwood, IL 60107
  • 1055 McHenry Rd, Wheeling, IL 60090
  • 808 S Illinois Rte 59, Naperville, IL 60540
  • 460 S Weber Rd, Romeoville, IL 60446
  • 3015 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46268
  • 10859 E Washington St, Indianapolis, IN 46229
  • 4024 Elkhart Rd #1, Goshen, IN 46526
  • 9598 Cortana Pl, Baton Rouge, LA 70815
  • 9750 Reisterstown Rd, Owings Mills, MD 21117
  • 3745 Louisiana Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426
  •  2800 27th Ave S, Moorhead, MN 56560
  • 81 International Dr S, Budd Lake, NJ 07828
  • 2649 Erie Blvd E, Syracuse, NY 13224
  • 720 Fairmount Ave, Jamestown, NY 14701
  • 700 Elmridge Center Dr, Rochester, NY 14626
  • 1600 Marketplace Dr, Rochester, NY 14623
  • 4825 Marburg Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45209
  • 9570 Fields Ertel Rd, Loveland, OH 45140
  • 1805 Getwell Rd, Memphis, TN 38111
  • 1615 S Loop W, Houston, TX 77054
  • 13331 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77077
  • 901 S Grady Way, Renton, WA 98057
  • 1101 Outlet Collection Way, Auburn, WA 98001
  • 13550 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA 98133

Thanks, good job

43 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Are those the ones that already closed?

Just heard that the Worcester MA store employees were told today that their store is closing in 2 weeks.

Some of the stories I've seen said that pharmacies will stay open for two weeks depending on state laws.

Some stores were reopening tomorrow 1/12 for clearance sales, and some were just plain closing.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands of workers

Sam's Club is closing stores. AP
  • Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club locations across the US, the company told Business Insider. Some stores were closed on Thursday. Others will close at a later date.
  • Many employees were not informed of the closures ahead of the time, according to reports.
  • 10 of the closed stores will be turned into ecommerce distribution centers.

Walmart is closing 63 Sam's Club stores across the US, the company told Business Insider.

Several stores were abruptly closed Thursday. In some cases, employees were not informed of the closures prior to showing up to work on Thursday.

Instead, they learned that their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closure, according to reports.

Ten of the affected stores will be turned into ecommerce distribution centers, and employees of those stores will have the opportunity to reapply for positions at those locations, a Walmart official said.

The remaining stores will stay open for several weeks before closing permanently. All of the affected stores were scrubbed from Sam's Club's website Thursday morning.

Sam's Club offered an explanation for the closures on Twitter, saying, "After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition."

After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition.

— Sam's Club (@SamsClub) January 11, 2018

The closures come on the same day that Walmart announced it was raising starting hourly wages to $11, expanding employee benefits, and offering workers bonuses of up to $1,000.

1 hour ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Are those the ones that already closed?

Just heard that the Worcester MA store employees were told today that their store is closing in 2 weeks.

Business Insider had a note that said "If you know of any other stores contact us". So I assume they know it may not be the complete list.

25 minutes ago, Travisma said:

•  
  •  
  •  

The closures come on the same day that Walmart announced it was raising starting hourly wages to $11, expanding employee benefits, and offering workers bonuses of up to $1,000.

I'm not a professional PR guy, but I would think if you are putting out news like raising wages and giving bonuses, you wouldn't want to overshadow that positive press by also abruptly closing stores and putting people out of work on the same day.  

Just now, DaveInTN said:

I'm not a professional PR guy, but I would think if you are putting out news like raising wages and giving bonuses, you wouldn't want to overshadow that positive press by also abruptly closing stores and putting people out of work on the same day.  

Right hand /left hand?

One making the happy news announcement and the other the axe notice, and they didn't consult with each other?

Also it is 2 different divisions...

7 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

And what about not giving any notice to your employees?  They find out they're out of a job by showing up to a locked store?

WTF?

TCD

2 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Probably so.  Such a massive company...I'm sure they don't centrally coordinate things.  

But such massive stories, common sense (not taught anymore) would have dictated you ran the stories by everyone in power before releasing them.

Then again, the closing stories only broke after people went to the closed stores and the local new media started reporting the closures.

I think it wasn't until this afternoon that Sams PR has made a statement.

I wonder how many of the stores that are closing are located next to or very close to a Walmart store, seems if a lot they are consolidating some locations. Plus they said will become a E -Commerce location sounds like a fulfillment center for online sales.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

But such massive stories, common sense (not taught anymore) would have dictated you ran the stories by everyone in power before releasing them.

Then again, the closing stories only broke after people went to the closed stores and the local new media started reporting the closures.

I think it wasn't until this afternoon that Sams PR has made a statement.

This same thing happened several years ago in Plymouth, Ma.   They had built a brand new Super-Walmart, and directly behind it they built a Sam's Club. The place was massive and was always busy. After both stores had been open for 3 or 4 years IIRC, suddenly and with no warning whatsoever, the doors were locked, employees shut out, and signs posted that the store was closed effective immediately.

The local press reported that they had been selling memberships right up to the day before!  I had renewed mine just a month earlier, so I called and was told "So sorry, but you can still shop at the Seekonk location (about an hour away.....).  No refunds, no nothing. I told them I would be shopping at BJ's from now on.

So not only haven't they learned anything about doing this in a more positive way, but it's never a good sign when a chain is closing stores that are busy and serve an entire region.

Also, strangely, they left the practically brand-new building sitting there closed up for about 5 or 6 years (in an otherwise VERY busy and expanding complex) until finally it was reported a year ago or so that a local business had bought the property at auction for a fraction of what it was worth. They then bulldozed the site and it is now a mega-car dealership.... go figure.

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

They could also be trying to get it over quickly. When Walmart has announced some store closures ahead of time in the past they've ended up with employee protests and the news coverage that goes with. Announcing and closing quickly doesn't allow for much the be organized before it is yesterday's news thereby missing the cycle.

44 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Also, strangely, they left the practically brand-new building sitting there closed up for about 5 or 6 years (in an otherwise VERY busy and expanding complex) until finally it was reported a year ago or so that a local business had bought the property at auction for a fraction of what it was worth. They then bulldozed the site and it is now a mega-car dealership.... go figure.

This is SOP for Walmart Corporation. They tie up the old real estate so competitors won't move in and their idea of a competitor is just about any other retail business in existence. It is one of the major downsides local governments don't think about when they go gaga over a new Walmart store.

I plan on doing this with my joint - just putting a sign on the door when I am ready to close.  I can't wait to see the look on the poor schmucks face when he shows up to work that day!