There was a Sam’s club in the town next to us and then they built a Walmart (which is currently being converted  to a super WM) and a New Sam’s club in my town. Sam’s continued to pay the lease on their old building for like 15 years to keep any competitive businesses from coming in. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Multiple Sam's Clubs close without notice in Houston, across nation     CONNECT TWEET LINKEDIN GOOGLE+ PINTEREST HOUSTON -- There are reports coming into the K

Here's the list from Business Insider, 63 stores. 17835 Gale Ave, City of Industry, CA 91748 12540 Beach Blvd, Stanton, CA 90680 69 Pavilions Dr, Manchester, CT 06042 355 FL

And the schmuck would be you, right? 

2 minutes ago, Beckers said:

There was a Sam’s club in the town next to us and then they built a Walmart (which is currently being converted  to a super WM) and a New Sam’s club in my town. Sam’s continued to pay the lease on their old building for like 15 years to keep any competitive businesses from coming in. 

But that's not unique to WM.  Kroger does exactly the same thing. We had one of their old leased buildings sit empty until a Hosp converted it to an outpatient facility. Kroger had the say on who used it.

1 minute ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

But that's not unique to WM.  Kroger does exactly the same thing. We had one of their old leased buildings sit empty until a Hosp converted it to an outpatient facility. Kroger had the say on who used it.

I had no idea business did this, guess it’s something I never thought about. Makes sense for them.

Aldi’s has one sitting empty in my town too. It used to be Bottom Dollar (loved that store!!) then it’s sat empty since by buy out. Supposedly we are getting an Aldi at some point (but ironically not at old Bottom Dollar ).

17 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

Now, I'd almost cry over the loss of a Costco!

I think they're a little smarter, limited stores in one area. BJ's seems to use that philosphy too.

In Cincy we had 4 Sams within 20 min of each other, but only 2 Costco. Now 2 Sams are on the closed list.

Since the kids are gone, we rarely go to Sam's anymore except for toilet paper and paper towels. We no longer have a need for large quantities of anything. It's fun to stroll there though, and usually if they actually have it in stock, the prices on electronics are pretty good.

13 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Personal preference I guess....I love our Sam's.  We dumped the Costco membership.  

We much prefer BJ's down here.  They even take coupons. Still have Costco and Sams though, subsidizing the kids, they're on our accounts. :unsure:

When we had our boat business we shopped at Sam's at least once a week, have had memberships off and on since then but not in a few years. Buying in bulk for 2 people just didn't work for us. I feel horrible for the employees, but as we've recently learned first hand most big corporations no matter what they say really care about their employees when it comes down to it.

Haven't heard anything about or Sam's closing, but it is directly across the street from a Walmart and about 8 miles from a BJs and about 12 miles from another Sam's so it wouldn't surprise me if they closed it.

Our only option here is a Sam's and we love it, good tire deals among other things.  I think my wife likes it because she'll tell me she's buying groceries or toilet paper but slips some clothes in there too.  When all you see is Sam's club on the credit card statement there's no way of knowing what was purchased. lol

Plus they have the cheapest gas around.

WBI

32 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Our only option here is a Sam's and we love it, good tire deals among other things.  I think my wife likes it because she'll tell me she's buying groceries or toilet paper but slips some clothes in there too.  When all you see is Sam's club on the credit card statement there's no way of knowing what was purchased. lol

Plus they have the cheapest gas around.

WBI

I thought you lived close to Lafayette. If so, there is a Costco there now. Been open for 6 months or more. There is also a Costco in Baton Rouge.

21 minutes ago, Specularius said:

I thought you lived close to Lafayette. If so, there is a Costco there now. Been open for 6 months or more. There is also a Costco in Baton Rouge.

No, I'm in Lake Charles so Lafayette is too far for my shopping.  But I do work with someone who loves Costco enough that they drive over to Lafayette some weekends to do their shopping.

I'm heading north this afternoon, we're going camping for the long weekend at South Toledo Bend State Park.  It sounds like it will be nice and cold but that's ok with us.

WBI

18 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

No, I'm in Lake Charles so Lafayette is too far for my shopping.  But I do work with someone who loves Costco enough that they drive over to Lafayette some weekends to do their shopping.

I'm heading north this afternoon, we're going camping for the long weekend at South Toledo Bend State Park.  It sounds like it will be nice and cold but that's ok with us.

WBI

Have I ever talked to you about Cameron?  Do you ever get down there?  

13 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

WBI

There was a documentary TV show about Costco maybe 3 years ago.  (It might be on Netflix).  It's an interesting company.  They pay their workers a good living wage, much much more than Wal-Mart or BJ's.

Most workers stay there once hired, they have a low turnover.

The former CEO made it his job to visit every store at least once a year.

They have their own testing labs and test most consumables before they sign a contract to carry the items.

They carry rare/expensive wine if that's your thing and expensive ($25K) jewelry, and of course the inexpensive stuff.

3 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Have I ever talked to you about Cameron?  Do you ever get down there?  

Yes I believe we have talked about it.  

I don't get down there often, usually only if someone is in town that wants to see some tourist stuff.  They are actually having their Fur & Wildlife Festival this weekend, haha I went to that street party in college, it was interesting.  But that was pre-Rita I'm not sure what it's like now that so many old places are gone.

WBI

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

There was a documentary TV show about Costco maybe 3 years ago.  (It might be on Netflix).  It's an interesting company.  They pay their workers a good living wage, much much more than Wal-Mart or BJ's.

Most workers stay there once hired, they have a low turnover.

The former CEO made it his job to visit every store at least once a year.

They have their own testing labs and test most consumables before they sign a contract to carry the items.

They carry rare/expensive wine if that's your thing and expensive ($25K) jewelry, and of course the inexpensive stuff.

I remember that documentary.  Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Costco also, when I lived in Florida we were members, but I'm not going to drive to Lafayette just to go.

Also our Sam's carries a lot of the same things, high end wines and champagnes, electronics, sporting gear, fancy purses and watches.  Yesterday I bought a double doozie cookie cake for my wife for $18!!!  You know how much the Great American Cookie Company charges for something like that!  Shes loves those things and requests it every year for her birthday.

Speaking of Costco, does anyone book travel through them, lots of people are booking Disney Cruises with them now days.

WBI

4 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

I remember that documentary.  Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Costco also, when I lived in Florida we were members, but I'm not going to drive to Lafayette just to go.

Also our Sam's carries a lot of the same things, high end wines and champagnes, electronics, sporting gear, fancy purses and watches.  Yesterday I bought a double doozie cookie cake for my wife for $18!!!  You know how much the Great American Cookie Company charges for something like that!  Shes loves those things and requests it every year for her birthday.

Speaking of Costco, does anyone book travel through them, lots of people are booking Disney Cruises with them now days.

WBI

What got my attention was their low turnover and above average pay.

32 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

WBI

Good luck staying warm. It is going to be very cold, but at least the campground there is blocked from the wind coming straight down the lake, a little.