Howday ya'll.  Have a few days reserved, preferred.  We have a 37' motorhome and tow a mini-van.  Both are equipped with wheelchair lifts.  

The motorhome lift is just behind the front passenger tire area and sticks out about 5' when deployed.

Wondering if anyone has any advice for us for obtaining the longest spot we can or at least one that is not a jungle near the wheelchair lift area.   Also, long enough so we can keep our van on the site too.

Is there any specific spots I should try and ask for?  Will it matter?

Thanks.

Welcome!!

If you have an Android phone or tablet, download the app called Fort Wilderness Sites.  Here is the link:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.loop3000.sitesatthefort&hl=en

There was an iOS version for Apple devices but I don't think it's working currently.  

The app has dimensions and pictures of every site at the Fort, and is a good tool for requesting sites.  Considering your needs, I'd suggest booking a Premium level site, which will give you a lot more concrete than other site types.  

I'd also suggest that you submit a request to the Fort 5-7 days before check in, telling them of your needs for a site.  You can request specific sites, but you may be better laying out what your needs are, such as enough width of concrete to accommodate the lifts.  If proximity to the comfort station, or to the marina, pool, etc is important, put that in your request as well.  You can make requests by faxing a letter (similar to the below) to: 407-824-3508.   

Date

TO: Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground Site Assigner

Address

SUBJECT: Site Request for Month xx - xx

RE: Reservation # xxxxxxxx

I am really looking forward to my stay at the Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground and am writing about campsite requests. I do understand that these are only requests and cannot be guaranteed.

If possible, I would like a site in Loop xxxx with a site that will accomodate the following: (list your "stuff" here) and near (whatever you want to be near).

Thanks so much for your help, and once again I?m really looking forward to my visit to Ft. Wilderness Resort and Campground.

If you have any questions, I can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx or by email at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Your name here

Good luck!

If you have slide outs on the motorhome I would check into getting a premium site, however that aren't always in the budget. With slides and the lift out it might be tight to maneuver past the lift on the concrete in a wheelchair if needed. They lift might come down on the  edge of the concrete where the crushed Coquina starts. I'd definitely check out the app if you can.

But like Dave and Carol said I would fax with what your needs are and the size of your rv and set up, clearance you need and such rather then requesting a specific site. 

Thanks for the replies.  Great advice.  I would have preferred the premium over preferred however, ex-son in law is coming down with daughter and granddaughter to have family time at disney.  (don't ask).  Anyway, he needs to stay in a tent and not the motorhome.  The other problem is this will be this Easter and not looking like ANYTHING is open.   Can you even fit a tent on a premium spot?

Also, seeing that I am probably stuck in the preferred loops, can anyone recommend some of their largest/widest spots?  I will go through the pictues too.  Thanks again.
108 and 109 are quite deep, and fairly wide for Preferred.  Here is a pic of my 36' motorhome in 109. And a second pic showing that there is a fair amount of pad outside the mh door.

0897f7a551e37e0eb9dcb3bcad4afb68.jpg988390c1538ddc3cf3099e0d78b97d54.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Pirateghostabc said:

Thanks.  Now, how about your opinioins about getting to MK in a wheelchair quickest way?  I read that one of two boats can handle a wheelchair.  Is it safe to assume there is a direct bus/shuttle to MK from a stop near the preferred loops?  Thanks again.

Only bus would be, Fort to Wilderness Lodge then to MK. 

Like Dave said the larger boats to the MK can take wheelchairs. Unless something has changed since June they do not use ramps on them so there can be a little bump going up or down. They usually have had us stand back and wait till the boat loads before putting the scooter on.  Boats I would say are the faster/easier way of getting to the MK.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

It's a short strol to the marina.   Most MK boats can accommodate chairs.   It's the smaller resort boats to the lodge and contemporary that cannot. 

12 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Like Dave said the larger boats to the MK can take wheelchairs. Unless something has changed since June they do not use ramps on them so there can be a little bump going up or down.

But if a big boat is out of service they run one small boat and one big boat to the FORT. So you can have a longer wait.

You may find it is easier to use your van instead of waiting for a bus with a wheelchair. If there are several ecv''s or wheelchairs in front of you, it may take several buses before they can take you. This is normally only a issue at park closing. For the boats it's not a big issue. 

20 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

You may find it is easier to use your van instead of waiting for a bus with a wheelchair. If there are several ecv''s or wheelchairs in front of you, it may take several buses before they can take you. This is normally only a issue at park closing. For the boats it's not a big issue. 

Can you expand on this please.  Take my van from FW to where?

Sorry yes I was talking about going to places other then  MK. My dad has been in a wheelchair since 01 and we did the busses for awhile but after a couple years we found using our own vehicles was easier, except when going to MK we take the Boat.

We took the scooter on the bus once that was more than enough.  

If we are feeling really adventuresome we'll take the boat to the MK, monorail to ticket and transportation, and hop on the Epcot Monorail. This is usually done we we are bored and just killing time. Definitely not a short or easy way to go.

One little known fact is that for the past few years, there is a bus that goes directly from the Settlement bus stop to the MK. It only runs in the evening, starting at around 4 pm. It is there for guests leaving the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show, but anyone can ride it. On the return trip, the bus stops at Wilderness Lodge before heading to the Fort.

This direct bus is faster and less crowded than the boat. 

TCD