RUMOR: Main Street Theater project cancelled?

From WDWMagic...

The Magic Kingdom's Main Street U.S.A. Theater project cancelled?

14 minutes ago in "Main Street, U.S.A."

It appears that the Magic Kingdom's new theater to be built off Main Street U.S.A. has now been cancelled, although Disney is yet to officially announce the change of plans.

Construction was about to begin, with various areas cleared backstage to allow the work to get underway behind the existing Town Square Theater and Tomorrowland, but word comes to us from sources familiar with the matter that the construction project has been cancelled with immediate effect.

Originally announced at D23 in 2017, the new entertainment venue was to be based on the iconic Willis Wood theater in 1920s Kansas City, where Walt lived after he left Marceline. 

At the original D23 announcement, it was described as:

“Across Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, we’ve been upping the game in Entertainment with shows like Frozen Live at the Hyperion,” Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts said. “It’s been a huge hit at the Disneyland Resort, and I’m sure many of you have seen it. This new theater at Walt Disney World continues that streak by bringing a new venue for world-class entertainment to the world’s biggest park.”

It isn't yet clear if plans have changed and a theater will be built elsewhere, or if the idea of a new theater has been completely abandoned.

As always, this information should be treated as speculation until officially announced by Disney.

Article Posted: Feb 01, 2018 / 2:35pm ET

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/main-street-usa/news/01feb2018-main-street-theater-project-cancelled.htm

I always thought this was a weird idea. I imagine that they were going for something like the giant theater they have at California Adventure where they showed the Broadway style Aladdin show, which they then replaced with the current Frozen show. It gives thousands of guests something to do, and keeps them off the other attractions. But does the MK need something like that?

If they are going to build a huge theater like this, it should go to a park that needs help- like Epcot. They would have to be creative with what they showed there, but I'm sure they could think of something. Like what about a live Mary Poppins show in the U.K.?

TCD 

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I always thought this was a weird idea. I imagine that they were going for something like the giant theater they have at California Adventure where they showed the Broadway style Aladdin show, which they then replaced with the current Frozen show. It gives thousands of guests something to do, and keeps them off the other attractions. But does the MK need something like that?

If they are going to build a huge theater like this, it should go to a park that needs help- like Epcot. They would have to be creative with what they showed there, but I'm sure they could think of something. Like what about a live Mary Poppins show in the U.K.?

TCD 

I vote for a joint theater for Morocco and Germany.  They could stage the all new off-Broadway show "Belly Dancing in Dirndls".  It's a celebration of world piece.  

27 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I vote for a joint theater for Morocco and Germany.  They could stage the all new off-Broadway show "Belly Dancing in Dirndls".  It's a celebration of world piece.  

Surprisingly, that idea is less crazy than this one:

The Guardians of the Galaxy Take the Stage at Epcot – StarLord, and Gamora from “The Guardians of the Galaxy” will join an alien band, taking guests on a journey through the cosmos. The party will feature hits from Awesome Mix Tapes 1 and 2 – fun and favorite tunes from the two movies’ soundtracks – building the anticipation for a new Epcot Guardians of the Galaxy attraction.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/walt-disney-world-resorts-incredible-summer-will-bring-new-experiences-to-all-four-parks/

Noah Fence, but what business does that show have in the World Showcase? 

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Surprisingly, that idea is less crazy than this one:

The Guardians of the Galaxy Take the Stage at Epcot – StarLord, and Gamora from “The Guardians of the Galaxy” will join an alien band, taking guests on a journey through the cosmos. The party will feature hits from Awesome Mix Tapes 1 and 2 – fun and favorite tunes from the two movies’ soundtracks – building the anticipation for a new Epcot Guardians of the Galaxy attraction.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/walt-disney-world-resorts-incredible-summer-will-bring-new-experiences-to-all-four-parks/

Noah Fence, but what business does that show have in the World Showcase? 

TCD

It doesn't say it will be in the world showcase. Could be on a temp stage by the fountains. 

We were discussing this rumour yesterday.

Assuming this is true, I'm wondering if they realized they couldn't pull off both the tron coaster and the theater before the 50th anniversary? Or, possibly something came up during the site prep/excavations that won't allow a building of that size in that location?

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Good catch.  The WDWMAGIC site reported that it would be at the American Gardens theater, but the official announcement omits the location.  

TCD

WDWMagic has access to "The HUB" and  it's announcement is almost a word for word copy of the internal announcement.

"Super Heroes take over the America Gardens Theatre at Epcot. Star-Lord and Gamora from the Guardians of the Galaxy will join an alien band, taking guests on a journey through the cosmos. The party will feature hits from Awesome Mix Tapes 1 and 2 – fun and favorite tunes from the two movies’ soundtracks – building the anticipation for a new Epcot "Guardians of the Galaxy" attraction." 

5 hours ago, Lou... said:

WDWMagic has access to "The HUB" and  it's announcement is almost a word for word copy of the internal announcement.

"Super Heroes take over the America Gardens Theatre at Epcot. Star-Lord and Gamora from the Guardians of the Galaxy will join an alien band, taking guests on a journey through the cosmos. The party will feature hits from Awesome Mix Tapes 1 and 2 – fun and favorite tunes from the two movies’ soundtracks – building the anticipation for a new Epcot "Guardians of the Galaxy" attraction." 

Well there you go. 

The members of WDWMAGIC are having a meltdown on their site over them putting this crap in the World Showcase. The Disney Parks Blog people must have seen the outrage coming, so they didn't mention the location. 

TCD