Also consider that there is maintenance. Batteries, pads expire and also the machine needs to be tested and calibrated annually. Its not a bad idea to have it but be honest with yourself. Unless you are going to keep it with you at all times  911 is more likely a better answer. 

3 minutes ago, Andrew Roberts said:

Also consider that there is maintenance. Batteries, pads expire and also the machine needs to be tested and calibrated annually. Its not a bad idea to have it but be honest with yourself. Unless you are going to keep it with you at all times  911 is more likely a better answer. 

Thank you

As a Firefighter / EMT we carry AEDs on our engiens.  I choose to purchase one for my family after my father died suddenly of a heart attack and I was admitted to the ER 3 times in 2 years for ventricular tachycardia.  I've since had 2 surgery to fix the ventricular tachycardia.  

The AED is always in my backpack that goes everywhere I go. I carry a Siemens AED because the pads are comparable with the full fledged defibrillator so in an emergency pads dont have to be removed.

My AED was put to use once.  While in park playing with my sun a grandfather collapsed.  I grabbed my bag hooked him up to the AED and started compression.  At the prompted I stopped the AED administered a shock, then upon prompts I started compression.  This went on twice, on the 2nd shock his heart went into normal rhythm and a few moments later the squad showed up and took him away with my AED still attached.  

A day or so went by and I called the local dispatch and asked about getting my AED back and the local firehouse called me and said it was lost during the process but they replaced it with a brand new Siemens unit.

I'm very thankful I had the skills and tools to assist that man and his family.  Who knows what the outcome would have been if i didn't have it but, when the worst happens its better to have the necessary tools than to wish you had the necessary tools.  

Owning the tools isn't always good enough, you need to train with them and be comfortable with them.  

19 hours ago, bdm said:

As a Firefighter / EMT we carry AEDs on our engiens.  I choose to purchase one for my family after my father died suddenly of a heart attack and I was admitted to the ER 3 times in 2 years for ventricular tachycardia.  I've since had 2 surgery to fix the ventricular tachycardia.  

The AED is always in my backpack that goes everywhere I go. I carry a Siemens AED because the pads are comparable with the full fledged defibrillator so in an emergency pads dont have to be removed.

My AED was put to use once.  While in park playing with my sun a grandfather collapsed.  I grabbed my bag hooked him up to the AED and started compression.  At the prompted I stopped the AED administered a shock, then upon prompts I started compression.  This went on twice, on the 2nd shock his heart went into normal rhythm and a few moments later the squad showed up and took him away with my AED still attached.  

A day or so went by and I called the local dispatch and asked about getting my AED back and the local firehouse called me and said it was lost during the process but they replaced it with a brand new Siemens unit.

I'm very thankful I had the skills and tools to assist that man and his family.  Who knows what the outcome would have been if i didn't have it but, when the worst happens its better to have the necessary tools than to wish you had the necessary tools.  

Owning the tools isn't always good enough, you need to train with them and be comfortable with them.  

Thank you for telling your story.  I completely agree on the training.  

Good health to you, my friend. 

• 2 weeks later...

When we were fostering we were required to have and keep current CPR and life saving training and certification.  We were trained on AEDs as a part of the training (Bi-annually).  They didn't mention shaving, but we were pretty much training for infants, who usually didn't need to shave yet.  I do remember there were different sized pads for the little ones.  We never bought an AED, but we did have to do CPR a couple of times.  I don't like to think about that.

28 minutes ago, Retired and Happy (Ken) said:

When we were fostering we were required to have and keep current CPR and life saving training and certification.  We were trained on AEDs as a part of the training (Bi-annually).  They didn't mention shaving, but we were pretty much training for infants, who usually didn't need to shave yet.  I do remember there were different sized pads for the little ones.  We never bought an AED, but we did have to do CPR a couple of times.  I don't like to think about that.

You and Judy are such a blessing, Ken.  The babies you have loved... oh, the greeting you will receive in heaven.

Think about and pray for you both, often. 

Thanks, Nacole.  It's just a little something to keep us busy in old advancing years.  We're out of the fostering business now, but our 38th one is in his room and turned 5 when we were at the Fort last Christmas.  That's three at home now, with one graduating from high school this May.

13 hours ago, Retired and Happy (Ken) said:

Thanks, Nacole.  It's just a little something to keep us busy in old advancing years.  We're out of the fostering business now, but our 38th one is in his room and turned 5 when we were at the Fort last Christmas.  That's three at home now, with one graduating from high school this May.

The way you and Judy have loved... it is inspiring.  God has used you, mightily.