Rumor: Epcot Future World Hotel

From WDWNewsToday...

New Permits Reveal Location of Epcot’s Future World Hotel
February 5, 2018

Some recent permits have shown us some significant detail regarding construction at Epcot, both ongoing for Guardians of the Galaxy at Universe of Energy, and future plans for what we believe is the new hotel being built at the entrance to the park.

The image below shows the entire stormwater basin area that will be affected by the building plans. As you can see, it encompasses all of Epcot, as well as the entire parking lot and additional undeveloped areas adjacent to the park.

basin403-1042x1200.jpg

The permits provide a nice overview of the current land use in this area. Red is buildings, pink is impervious (paved) areas, light green is pervious (i.e. undeveloped) areas, and dark green is wetlands.

basin403-currentllanduse-1200x1139.jpg

403-legend.jpg

The conceptual plan for the basin shows four main areas where development is or will be occurring. An immense new retention pond is planned for much of the wetlands area in the northwest corner of the map, adjacent to the solar installations. The main reason a new retention pond is needed? Because Disney is planning to develop a large portion of the undeveloped areas, and these new buildings and associated structures will need new stormwater management. In the map below, the yellow area is Zone A, Orange is Zone B, Pink is Zone C, and Gray is Zone D.

403basic-conceptual-1200x1102.jpg

You can see in this image a more detailed description of the zones. Most of the current Guardians development is actually taking place in the northeast portion of Zone B, with some encroaching onto Zone C. Of particular note is the “Area 2” designated in Zone C. This is currently a wooded area but is planned to be cleared and leveled for development, according to the permit. It is likely this will be used for additional parking lots. Woodpecker Lane, which is an unpaved road that connects the eastern corner of the parking lot with the backstage areas, currently runs through Area 2, but as you can see, will be rerouted around the perimeter of the new parking lots.

basin403-erp-1200x779.jpg

Also noteworthy in this image is “Area 1” in Zone A. This is now a wooded wetlands area, but according to the permit will be cleared and leveled for development. “Area 1” conveniently is located between cast backstage parking across Epcot Resorts Blvd. from the Beach Club Resort and the western edge of the Epcot bus pickup area and parking lot. We are speculating that this will be used for cast parking and backstage support functions for the new hotel to be built at the entrance of Epcot, in the area designated Zone A which is to the east of “Area 1” on the map. Whether the hotel will straddle the monorail beams or be located just to the west, we still don’t know, but either way, it appears the bus stop and bus parking area will need to be relocated.

While these permits reveal two phases of the construction so far, there is more to come! Phase 1 is essentially the Guardians coaster show building and the first part of Pond A. Phase 2 will encompass the hotel and second part of Pond A. Nothing has yet been filed for the massive overhaul of Future World, which is in Zone B of the map. We presume that will be Phase 3 of the project.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/02/new-permits-reveal-location-epcots-future-world-hotel/

Wow, there's a ton of information in here.  And yet, I couldn't get past how this would make a cool Sith name....Darth Pervious.  

4 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

The permits provide a nice overview of the current land use in this area. Red is buildings, pink is impervious (paved) areas, light green is pervious (i.e. undeveloped) areas, and dark green is wetlands.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/02/new-permits-reveal-location-epcots-future-world-hotel/

8 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Interesting!

this is the first I’ve heard of a new hotel at Epcot.    I kind of like the idea of having it at the front of Epcot.  It would be one more hotel to add to the monorail pub crawl.  

Yes but what happens when they shut the monorail line down ( or Lou finally blows it up ) :aggressive:

33 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Yes but what happens when they shut the monorail line down ( or Lou finally blows it up ) :aggressive:

I know you just, but I know you just, but do people really think they’re going to get shut down the monorails? 

Its to much of an icon  

How much would it cost to remodel all the monorail hotels?

Would they lose money from people not staying at the monorail hotels? To me, that’s one of the biggest perks of staying at one of those hotels.  

9 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Interesting!

this is the first I’ve heard of a new hotel at Epcot.    I kind of like the idea of having it at the front of Epcot.  It would be one more hotel to add to the monorail pub crawl.  

I didn't even think of that.... whoa.  *mind blown*

1 hour ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Yes but what happens when they shut the monorail line down ( or Lou finally blows it up ) 

Given Disney is still featuring the monorail in its ads (saw a new one on tv just this weekend) I'd say that isn't happening anytime soon.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

If they do build it there, it will mean extending the hours of the Epcot Monorail to MKs operating hours so that those staying at the Epcot hotel can get back there.

.I think they already do. Or did. Several years ago we started at Epcot and then hopped over to the Magic Kingdom. By the time we left the Magic Kingdom Epcot was closed. But we were still able to take the monorail from the Magic Kingdom to Epcot.  It was kind of weird seeing Epcot closed.

22 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

If this comes to be, I really think they should have planned the gondola system to service the hotel as well, creating a transfer point between the gondola and monorail systems.  

No my friend they planned it perfectly. The problem is you’re using common sense and not Disney sense. By placing the gondola terminal at the international gateway, it forces people who want to take the monorail to The MK or take gondola from the new Epcot hotel to HS to purchase a park hopper ticket or an annual pass. They’re going to have to pay For that gondola system one way or another. LOL!

50 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

If this comes to be, I really think they should have planned the gondola system to service the hotel as well, creating a transfer point between the gondola and monorail systems.  

That's a good point. I was just at Epcot this past weekend, and saw some of the construction going on in the International Gateway area for the Skyliner project. It is interesting that they chose to build a terminal here rather than at the front of the park. The only thing that makes sense to me is that they think the IG entrance is under utilized, and they want to have more guests use it. Putting the terminal on this side of Epcot will certainly be good for business for all the bars and restaurants in the Boardwalk area. 

I'm sure there is some rationale for the Skyliner's path and the specific resorts it will serve. But, the more I think of what it could be, the less sense this project makes. 

TCD

13 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That's a good point. I was just at Epcot this past weekend, and saw some of the construction going on in the International Gateway area for the Skyliner project. It is interesting that they chose to build a terminal here rather than at the front of the park. The only thing that makes sense to me is that they think the IG entrance is under utilized, and they want to have more guests use it. Putting the terminal on this side of Epcot will certainly be good for business for all the bars and restaurants in the Boardwalk area. 

I'm sure there is some rationale for the Skyliner's path and the specific resorts it will serve. But, the more I think of what it could be, the less sense this project makes. 

TCD

My daughter used their ticket booth to renew my granddaughters AP during the  full Marathon race.  There was no-one in any of the lines, and all 4 booths were open.

If you think about it, most people utilizing that entrance probably already have their passes or tickets from their vacation packages or concierge desk at the Epcot Resorts.

I wish they had an "official" parking lot on that side, I enjoy that entrance much more than the main one.

I bet a lot of EPCOT guests don't even realize there are all the resorts and amenities thru that entrance, or a quick way to get to HS.

9 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I bet a lot of EPCOT guests don't even realize there are all the resorts and amenities thru that entrance, or a quick way to get to HS.

Agreed.  I'm always surprised when I mention the "back entrance" to Epcot to someone that's been to Disney before and they have no idea what that is or that there's anything back there.

8 minutes ago, Travisma said:

There's also a quick way to the MK from there. Head through the Beach Club lobby to their bus stop, and it's a nonstop ride to the MK from there. If you're at the back of Epcot, this will save you the long walk to the front, waiting for the Epcot monorail, and then transferring at the TTC. 

TCD 

17 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

There's also a quick way to the MK from there. Head through the Beach Club lobby to their bus stop, and it's a nonstop ride to the MK from there. If you're at the back of Epcot, this will save you the long walk to the front, waiting for the Epcot monorail, and then transferring at the TTC. 

TCD 

This is a really good tip!

On 2/6/2018 at 9:30 AM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Given Disney is still featuring the monorail in its ads (saw a new one on tv just this weekend) I'd say that isn't happening anytime soon.

For decades now Disney has used the images of the Monorail in motion and the Monorail entering or leaving the Contemporary as memes designed to evoke memories of DisneyWorld and to set it apart in the public consciousness from the other "everyday" theme parks.

How sad is it that those two Icons of WDW haven't been updated or expanded in years. And that buses and BLT's are now the order of the day.

Other than Spaceship Earth at Epcot, what is there that really sets WDW apart anymore?