1973 Magic Kingdom Home Movies

Apologies if this one has made the rounds before, but I couldn't recall having seen it.

Two Families – Magic Kingdom 1973 Restored Home Movie

This visit of two families to the Magic Kingdom in 1973 opens with the parking trams picking them up and they immediately head to 20K lagoon – before heading out to the monorail platform to take a ride around Seven Seas Lagoon. We see the topiary outside the Contemporary Resort before they get off at the Magic Kingdom’s monorail stop and head back into a very crowded park. The clock on Cinderella Castle says it’s 12:30 p.m.

More topiary and some exterior shots of the Magic Kingdom from the lagoon. We then head back into Magic Kingdom for the parade and some very fun images of Mickey ear hats in various colors rolling out for the afternoon parade.

https://www.retrowdw.com/imageworks/films/two-families-magic-kingdom-1973-restored-home-movie/

My wife and I made our first visit to the MK and the Fort in the fall of 1977.

I took a picture around noon time from the sky ride looking down at the walkway between Small World and Peter Pan and you could count on 2 hands the people walking around.

I think the longest wait for a ride was maybe 5 minutes (Space Mountain was closed).

I have similar memories and pictures of wide-open sidewalks and short waits for rides. I can remember thinking that a 20 min wait was outrageous! 

One of the reasons I grew to love Epcot so much over the years is that it seemed to retain that open feeling long after it was gone at the MK.

It is interesting that they were able to operate (and expand!) the Parks with crowd levels so much lower. And arguably to a higher standard than today as well.

• 3 weeks later...

My earliest memories of WDW are probably from 1980 or 81. But I do remember a lot of what used to be. Those old metal rental strollers with the blue folding canopy were my preferred means of transport. I sure do miss the white sands beaches all along the lake and in front of the MK. They sure did make the place look good.

On 2/26/2018 at 7:38 AM, ImDownWithDisney said:

My earliest memories of WDW are probably from 1980 or 81. But I do remember a lot of what used to be. Those old metal rental strollers with the blue folding canopy were my preferred means of transport. I sure do miss the white sands beaches all along the lake and in front of the MK. They sure did make the place look good.

Those strollers were great for little ones.  The foot level could be lifted so it was level with the seat and the seat back laid back, a kid could get a great nap in one of those strollers.  Of course, if one of them was behind you, you had better watch out, because they hurt when your ankles got hit.   I'm still leery of strollers behind me.  Some of the drivers are so unaware of people around them.

Do you think they were replaced by the smaller strollers because they took up more space?