This is a heck of a rumor !

There’s A Rumor Going Around That Disney Is Replacing It’s A Small World With A ‘Tangled’ Ride [Opinion]

It is one of the most iconic rides in Disney history, but is it going to be replaced?

There are so many rumors that get passed around regarding Disney, and about 90 percent of them never end up coming true. However, they just keep coming. Walt Disney World has so many things going on right now, and until they say something publicly, it isn’t happening. With that being said, there is a rumor gaining a lot of steam right now that Magic Kingdom will be closing down It’s a Small World and replacing it with a Tangled ride, but is it really happening?

It is one of the most beloved attractions around and one that consistently has a rather lengthy wait time. As this is being written at 12:20 p.m. on February 7, 2018, the Magic Kingdom attraction has a wait time of 45 minutes for its standby queue.

Yet, there are always going to be rumors, many of which come about with no real backing or solid proof. As reported in a post by a website known as Viral Disney, Disney World is planning on shutting down It’s a Small World to make way for a Tangled-themed attraction since it has not had “many guests visiting the attraction.”

First and foremost, Disney has not said anything regarding this matter, and there have not been any whispers of this anywhere else.

According to the very short post, Disney “feels” that more guests would be attracted by the ride changing to a Tangled theme. Immediately next door to It’s a Small World, there is a small area themed after Rapunzel’s movie, with restrooms, charging stations, and seating.

As of this time, there is absolutely no credibility to this rumor. It is nothing but pure speculation, and the site in question is known for creating rumor posts and just letting the fire fade out without ever addressing it again.

The rumor of It’s a Small World changing to a Tangled theme is being passed around on social media and made it into the forums of WDW Magic. A number of those who are well-versed in Disney and have quite the extensive knowledge of the company immediately shot it down.

Some are even stating that Rapunzel and other Disney characters could be incorporated into the current It’s a Small World attraction. This would not be replacing the ride, but it would mirror what Disneyland has successfully done with its version.

Characters from animated films such as Toy Story, The Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch, Aladdin, and many other Disney movies are in scenes and segments of It’s a Small World in Disneyland. It is tastefully done, and they actually add a lot to the longtime attraction.

(WDW gets the short end again.....)

walt disney world magic kingdom it's a small world replace tangled rapunzel rumor ride

walt disney world magic kingdom it's a small world replace tangled rapunzel rumor ride

It is possible that It’s a Small World is going to be completely gutted and changed into a Tangled attraction or something else entirely? Of course. Anything is possible, and anything could happen at any given time, but it’s hard to believe something that comes without any sources and promises that “more info will be released next week!”

Now, it’s a waiting game to see if anything more will actually be said or if this rumor will fall away like many others that have been written.

Until Walt Disney World actually says they are going to do something, they aren’t doing it. Even then, there’s the possibility that a project could be changed, delayed, or canceled entirely. All anyone has to do is look at Rivers of Light, which was delayed for months, to know that anything can happen. As for It’s a Small World changing to a Tangled-themed attraction, all we can do is wait and see, but as of now, it is nothing but a rumor.

1 minute ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

It originated on that Viral Disney site - I won't post a link to them either and kudos to Inquisitr for not giving them any traffic. They routinely publish bogus nonsense with clickbait-y headlines. 

And sadly sometimes their stuff goes... viral.  :blink:

I say a few FB memes about the rumor this morning, so I guess it popped up yesterday or last night.

56 minutes ago, kadancer said:

Small World is my "I have arrived" moment.  I hope it stays put and that future generations regain the sense of wonder that doesn't require large drops and high speed.

Agree, it should stay, but once again DisneyLand gets all the cool stuff and WDW gets left behind.

They have added characters from animated movies, and at Christmas they decorate the outside of the building.

14 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Agree, it should stay, but once again DisneyLand gets all the cool stuff and WDW gets left behind.

They have added characters from animated movies, and at Christmas they decorate the outside of the building.

It's not just the outside of the building- they completely decorate the entire ride and change the music too. It is very well done. 

But, the reason they put the lights on the Small World ride is because their castle is so tiny that they can't do anything impressive with it. 

We still win.

TCD  

2 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's not just the outside of the building- they completely decorate the entire ride and change the music too. It is very well done. 

But, the reason they put the lights on the Small World ride is because their castle is so tiny that they can't do anything impressive with it. 

We still win.

TCD  

Don't get me started about their Haunted Christmas Mansion..... we definitely don't win on that count....

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Don't get me started about their Haunted Christmas Mansion..... we definitely don't win on that count....

I agree. 

We lose in a lot of areas- especially comparing their version of an attraction to ours. And we definitely lose when it comes to food choices and prices.  

But, taking it as a whole, we still win.

TCD 

I know I’m biased being raised in SoCal and spending countless days at Disneyland.  But IASW at Disneyland is not only better at Christmas time it’s better in general. To me IASW at WDW looks like a store front. While at Disneyland it’s like a whimsical castle.   And the ride itself is better. Just go on YouTube and look at a video Of the ride at Disneyland if you’ve never been there and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

IMHO, it would be cool if they converted IASW to a Rapunsel themed ride, but only if they first built a new IASW that is as good if not better than the one at DL

13 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I agree. 

We lose in a lot of areas- especially comparing their version of an attraction to ours. And we definitely lose when it comes to food choices and prices.  

But, taking it as a whole, we still win.

TCD 

Agreed. We have a lot of things that DL doesn’t have.    And to me one of the big differences is the amount of land WDW has compared to Disneyland.  And what WDW has done with it and can do with it.And what WDW has done with it and can do with it.

7 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I know I’m biased being raised in SoCal and spending countless days at Disneyland.  But IASW at Disneyland is not only better at Christmas time it’s better in general. To me IASW at WDW looks like a store front. While at Disneyland it’s like a whimsical castle.   And the ride itself is better. Just go on YouTube and look at a video Of the ride at Disneyland if you’ve never been there and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

IMHO, it would be cool if they converted IASW to a Rapunsel themed ride, but only if they first built a new IASW that is as good if not better than the one at DL

I don't think anyone will disagree that Disneyland's Small World is better. As a matter of fact, Disneyland Paris' is way better too. 

I don't know if it's true, but I heard that the location of a sinkhole required them to squeeze the WDW version into the space that it's in. It must have been something like that, because the configuration of that part of Fantasyland stinks- the walkway is too narrow, and it's always congested.

I think it's a great idea to build a brand new version of the ride. And they should put it in Epcot!

TCD  

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't think anyone will disagree that Disneyland's Small World is better. As a matter of fact, Disneyland Paris' is way better too. 

I don't know if it's true, but I heard that the location of a sinkhole required them to squeeze the WDW version into the space that it's in. It must have been something like that, because the configuration of that part of Fantasyland stinks- the walkway is too narrow, and it's always congested.

I think it's a great idea to build a brand new version of the ride. And they should put it in Epcot!

TCD  

Interesting. I think Epcot would be a great place for a new version. But where a nap, would you put it? IMHO it’s  facade is too whimsical To put between Mexico and Canada where the gift shop is. Perhaps between the Italian pavilion and Germany, or between Germany and the outpost.

2 hours ago, kadancer said:

Small World is my "I have arrived" moment.  I hope it stays put and that future generations regain the sense of wonder that doesn't require large drops and high speed.

Agreed.  As long as the line is short (which weirdly enough it isn't always) we have to ride it at least once per trip.

This past trip I rode it with my 8yo nephew and it was his first time.  He was looking all around and pointing, with a whole lot of "wow!" and "look!"  After the dozens+ of times I've ridden it, it was pretty darned cool to see it from a kid's eyes the first time.

16 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Agreed.  As long as the line is short (which weirdly enough it isn't always) we have to ride it at least once per trip.

This past trip I rode it with my 8yo nephew and it was his first time.  He was looking all around and pointing, with a whole lot of "wow!" and "look!"  After the dozens+ of times I've ridden it, it was pretty darned cool to see it from a kid's eyes the first time.

That says it all right there.

Now when I ride I look for things that are broken, and think why the he** haven't they fixed that in 3 months!

Quite a few times I was on it and the magic carpets weren't flying, and the unicyclist wasn't going back and forth on the zip line.

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

But here's the thing....the current iasw ride building is HUGE.  In fact, if you look at it on a satellite image, it is significantly larger than the newer Ariel ride in New Fantasyland.  For further comparison, it's comparable in size to Haunted Mansion, which sits adjacent.  (Granted, it's possible that some of the building is used for non-ride uses.)  IMO, they have the room there to tear down what exists, rebuild something comparable to what they have at DL or Paris, and still have room to expand that narrow bottleneck of a walkway.  In fact, with modern ride technology, they could even build UP...the current ride is 2 dimensional, but why not build elevation changes into the ride and get more "ride" from a smaller footprint?  I know none of this will happen, but my point is, there is plenty of space there, sinkhole or not.  

3 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

still have room to expand that narrow bottleneck of a walkway. 

That's the kicker for me right there.  That spot is STILL terrible when the park is crowded.  It's a bit better since the Rapunzel area expanded the walkway area on that side, but the one of the scariest crowd experience I've had at WDW is right in that spot.  ...and I've been in the fireworks crush at the hub more than once.