Golden Oak Outpost - new menu items

Never let it be said the WDWNews Today only publishes "everything was awesome" reviews.  B)

Over the weekend, the Golden Oak Outpost in Frontierland at the Magic Kingdom began serving up a new menu.

01.jpg

The kiosk, located somewhat on the border between Frontierland and Adventureland, is located just outside of Pecos Bill’s Tall Tale Inn and Cafe on the westernmost edge of the park.

IMG_4578.jpg

The chicken breast nuggets and waffle fries remain, now joined by Barbecue Chicarrons/Pork Cracklings/Pork Rinds and Chili Queso Fries.

Barbecue Chicarrons (Pork Cracklings) – $4.49

In case you are unaware of what this item is…

Pork rind is the culinary term for the skin of a pig. It can also be fried or roasted in pork fat (lard) as a snack. The frying renders much of the fat that is attached to the uncooked rind, causing the size of the cooked product to be reduced considerably. This product may be known by alternative names, such as chicharrón in Spanish, kaiings in South Africa, and pork scratchings or pork cracklings in the UK, although crackling may instead refer to the rind on a roasted pork joint.

IMG_4583.jpg

This is a pretty small order for $4.49 considering these are just pork rinds and they taste no difference than they would from a bag you picked up at your local supermarket. I applaud the addition of food that matches the theme of a land and makes sense there, but it also has to make sense for a human being to order it. Even if you enjoy such things, there is no way you can justify $4.49 for a serving size that is one fourth of a bag that would cost roughly the same price at a store. I also think I’ve had better pork rinds out of said bag, so I’m not sure why on earth I would get these, other than for a review on a theme park fan site of course.

Chili Queso Fries – $5.49

IMG_4587.jpg

Out of the lowest of expectations comes our one success on the Golden Oak Outpost menu. While we lament the loss of the “loaded” waffle fries that once resided here years ago, here comes a valid and acceptable replacement that exceeds any and all presumptions a guest would make about them. In short, they’re good.

The fires were crispy and flavorful, the chili was adequate, and the queso is beyond that of most similar establishments. I would dare say the queues makes me wish that every melted yellow cheese on property was replaced with this. Don’t worry if you don’t like chili, there is an option for you where you can still enjoy this wonderful cheese product.

Queso – $1.00

IMG_4584.jpg

As stated above, the Queso is much better than expected, so if you are adverse to chili, adding this to a standard order of Waffle Fries is still dollar cheaper than ordering the above dish. This would make for a pretty enjoyable snack in my book, probably better (definitely cheaper) than the loaded tots in Fantasyland. On the Dining Plan, this will burn another snack credit so you may just want to spend the dollar on it after using a snack credit on the fries.

Dessert Pear Lemonade Slushy – $5.49

IMG_4589.jpg

As with almost all of the slushy drinks at Walt Disney World, this is pretty much trash. Overly sweet to the point where it just tastes like you are drinking pure sugar. I’m sure the kids would be OK with this, but otherwise, I wouldn’t waste your time or money on this.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/02/review-golden-oak-outpost-magic-kingdom-adds-pork-cracklings-chili-queso-waffle-fries/

22 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Even if you enjoy such things, there is no way you can justify $[fill in Disney amount here] for a serving size that is one fourth of a bag that would cost roughly the same price at a store.

Doesn't this apply to pretty much any food or drink item at WDW?   A Coke for $4+   etc. ?

1 hour ago, Seals said:

Doesn't this apply to pretty much any food or drink item at WDW?   A Coke for $4+   etc. ?

Yes but realistically unless you're ok with lugging all your food and drink around all day, you're paying the premium for the convenience.  If I want pork rinds I'm not leaving the park to go buy a cheaper bag at Publix.  B)

28 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Yes but realistically unless you're ok with lugging all your food and drink around all day, you're paying the premium for the convenience.  If I want pork rinds I'm not leaving the park to go buy a cheaper bag at Publix.  B)

If you were like me you would have over packed the food and already anticipated the potential for a pork rind craving.  :lol:

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

If you were like me you would have over packed the food and already anticipated the potential for a pork rind craving.  :lol:

Did you look in the cabinets of my camper??

Andplusalso... we brought a freezer  :ROFLMAO-1:

We always have way more food than we need in the camper too, I just can't bring myself to lugging it around with me all day.

A true Larrywannabe would fry up 300 lbs of pork skin 6 months before the trip and divide it up into 8 ounce bags for convenience.

It is nice to see Disney provide some heart healthy options to their quick service menus.

21 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

That's what I mean. Why single out the pork rinds with this as a negative when it applies to practically everything? 

My personal opinion is that one would have to pay me a large sum to eat them, but I live with  people who would definitely justify spending the extra money to eat pork rinds in the park. 

16 minutes ago, Seals said:

That's what I mean. Why single out the pork rinds with this as a negative when it applies to practically everything? 

My personal opinion is that one would have to pay me a large sum to eat them, but I live with  people who would definitely justify spending the extra money to eat pork rinds in the park. 

We rarely buy food in the parks but sometimes ya just gotta.

I can understand paying higher prices because you're a "captive" audience to an extent.

But that doesn't give them an excuse to serve sub-standard food.  

If I'm overpaying for a burger, I expect it to be a great burger, not McDonalds standards.

10 hours ago, Travisma said:

We rarely buy food in the parks but sometimes ya just gotta.

I can understand paying higher prices because you're a "captive" audience to an extent.

But that doesn't give them an excuse to serve sub-standard food.  

If I'm overpaying for a burger, I expect it to be a great burger, not McDonalds standards.

We always buy park food it's part of the fun.

18 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

We always buy park food it's part of the fun.

This.  

One thing we always do is buy the  souvenir popcorn bucket. And boy do we get our moneys worth out of it.  IIRC, the buckets are $10 and $1.00 to $1.50 to refill.

We will eat at least two buckets of popcorn per day if not more.   But when we are at Epcot we go to the popcorn cart outside of the Imagination building. As well as regular popcorn, DW’s favorite, they have cheddar cheese, DD’s favorite, and buffalo blue cheese popcorn, my favorite.  As I’m too cheap to buy more than one bucket we take turns getting the flavor we want. LOL!

6 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

This.  

One thing we always do is buy the  souvenir popcorn bucket. And boy do we get our moneys worth out of it.  IIRC, the buckets are $10 and $1.00 to $1.50 to refill.

We will eat at least two buckets of popcorn per day if not more.   But when we are at Epcot we go to the popcorn cart outside of the Imagination building. As well as regular popcorn, DW’s favorite, they have cheddar cheese, DD’s favorite, and buffalo blue cheese popcorn, my favorite.  As I’m too cheap to buy more than one bucket we take turns getting the flavor we want. LOL!

We always buy the refillable popcorn will fill it up two or three times a day.

18 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Speaking of... does anyone know if they're still doing this?  We bought a bucket last trip and in 6 weeks just about wore that thing out.  Some days we'd get popcorn on the way *out* of the park.  Some days we'd have popcorn for dinner.  :lol:

15 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Speaking of... does anyone know if they're still doing this?  We bought a bucket last trip and in 6 weeks just about wore that thing out.  Some days we'd get popcorn on the way *out* of the park.  Some days we'd have popcorn for dinner.  :lol:

My DW Will sometimes eat popcorn for dinner. But not me. I need something more  substantial.