I'm new to camping and pulling a TT so I apologize if this question has been asked. I've searched for the past few hours and just can't find the answer. I have a 2005 Chevy 1500 Z71 that needs new tires. The tires I have on it are Bridgestone Dueler A/T size P265/70/R17. I have aluminum rims. The rating on the tire side wall says 113S; 2535 lbs at 44 psi max. The front GAWR is 3925 lbs and the rear GAWR is 3750 lbs. My TT has a max weight of 7600 lbs. Vehicle GVWR is 13,000. I purchased the TT new last March and didn't have any problem towing the TT with these tires. With all of that said, I've been pricing tires and a majority of the salesmen have given a price for a 10 ply (E) rated tires. A couple who carry the tire I currently have also gave me a price for those tires. My question is do I need to change to a 10 ply tire or will the tire I currently have, but newer, be safe. I was pretty set on getting the 10 ply from just talking with the salesmen but as I've been doing more research a big concern came to attention. The max air pressure could be to much for my rims. I don't know what the max air pressure for my rim is either. So do I need to upgrade to the 10 ply or just buy the same tires that I already have. Thanks in advance. Scott.

7 hours ago, Triple S said:

I'm new to camping and pulling a TT so I apologize if this question has been asked. I've searched for the past few hours and just can't find the answer. I have a 2005 Chevy 1500 Z71 that needs new tires. The tires I have on it are Bridgestone Dueler A/T size P265/70/R17. I have aluminum rims. The rating on the tire side wall says 113S; 2535 lbs at 44 psi max. The front GAWR is 3925 lbs and the rear GAWR is 3750 lbs. My TT has a max weight of 7600 lbs. Vehicle GVWR is 13,000. I purchased the TT new last March and didn't have any problem towing the TT with these tires. With all of that said, I've been pricing tires and a majority of the salesmen have given a price for a 10 ply (E) rated tires. A couple who carry the tire I currently have also gave me a price for those tires. My question is do I need to change to a 10 ply tire or will the tire I currently have, but newer, be safe. I was pretty set on getting the 10 ply from just talking with the salesmen but as I've been doing more research a big concern came to attention. The max air pressure could be to much for my rims. I don't know what the max air pressure for my rim is either. So do I need to upgrade to the 10 ply or just buy the same tires that I already have. Thanks in advance. Scott.

I always prefer a LT tire over a P rated tire. Even if you run the same pressure they seem to tow better IMHO. You definitely can feel a difference in construction when you handle them unmounted. Your rims should be stamped with the max pressure. It may be on the backside or somewhere along the bead area. Take a good look when the old tires are broken down and removed. I would bet it's at least 65 or 80 psi

I agree, switch to an LT tire. We had the same issue with our Ram 1500 when we put tires on it. We had a small 24' hybrid at the time and I replaced my P tires with another set of P tires (General Grabber P tire and not the LT). Shortly after that we upgraded to a new trailer and before we knew it our P rated tires had collapsing sidewalls. They had about 7500 on them and they couldn't handle the added weight of the new trailer. We pulled them and put LTs on in a slightly larger size. Night and day difference. We put a Michelin LTX A/T tire (they now make this as an LTX A/T 2 and I have these on my 2500) on. One of the best tires I have ever owned and we got 48000 out of them. There was about 1/4 tred left when we traded the 1500 in for a 2500.

Thanks for all of the replies. Please keep them coming as I'm still researching and learning. One question I do have is the "D" rating shows the max load pressure is 65 psi and the "E" rating shows 80 psi. Is this the cold pressure psi or the max psi each tire should have before the tire is over inflated? I understand you have to have these psi's to obtain the load capacity for each rating. I just don't want to run them over inflated and cause a problem.

4 hours ago, Triple S said:

Thanks for all of the replies. Please keep them coming as I'm still researching and learning. One question I do have is the "D" rating shows the max load pressure is 65 psi and the "E" rating shows 80 psi. Is this the cold pressure psi or the max psi each tire should have before the tire is over inflated? I understand you have to have these psi's to obtain the load capacity for each rating. I just don't want to run them over inflated and cause a problem.

Max psi is taken cold. The tire will build psi when heated up. This is normal and engineered into the cold rating. Just don't run cold psi above what your wheel is rated. Aluminum wheels will crack and fail in a spectacular fashion if overloaded/overinflated. 

21 hours ago, Triple S said:

Thanks for all the help  went with the LT  Nitto Grappler G2

That's what I put on my truck in January,  I have 1,000 miles on them now, so far I really like them. I will be towing with mine soon.

Our old Keystone came with import tires.  We used those for several years and when it came time to replace them we purchased the Goodyear endurance trailer tires. 

1st they are made is the USA, does that make them better, maybe..

2nd they were 70mph speed rated (i think it was 68mph but say 70) that gave us some extra MPH if we needed to expedite getting to the next exit for a bathroom break. 

We put 3,000 miles on those tires and they were flawless.  Our new camper we ordered from the dealer and had them change from import tires to Goodyear Endurance trailer tires because of the trust we have in them.

Now all that being said, I never had a single problem with the original import tires on my keyston.  I was good about checking temps, and pressures at each fuel stop or bathroom stop.  I always ran them at 80psi cold what was called for on the tire sticker on the trailer and hardly ever exceeded 65mph for any length of time...