https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/4822958/magic-kingdom-replaces-iconic-citrus-swirl-with-an-orange-swirl-but-is-it-any-good/

Is nothing sacred?

I remember getting the Citrus Swirl where the Dole Whip is now served.  It was the Orange Bird Terrace (I think) and this was back in the Anita Bryant days.

Magic Kingdom Replaces Iconic Citrus Swirl With An Orange Swirl, But Is It Any Good?

There are different snack and food items all around Walt Disney World, but everyone has their favorites. Some love the Dole Whip. Others think a Churro is an ideal snack. Many only want to have a Mickey Pretzel. People grow attached to the snacks they love and that’s why it is so hard to deal with any kind of change. Well, that’s exactly what has happened with the removal of the Citrus Swirl and Magic Kingdom replacing it with an Orange Swirl.

Just last month, Disney took the Specialty Mac and Cheese from Friar Tuck’s and replaced it with loaded tots and a fried Twinkie. No one saw the change coming, but it wouldn’t have done any good to know ahead of time and revolt against it.

Now, the Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland has changed its menu and it is causing a bit of a stir. As shown on the official website of Walt Disney World, the Citrus Swirl has been completely removed and replaced with an “Orange Swirl” and “Orange Swirl Float.”

The menu change has just happened, and the online menu for Sunshine Tree Terrace keeps going down and not working. It is evident that Disney is changing it, but it appears to be taking quite a while. In person, though, the menu has been changed and is there for all to see.

walt disney world magic kingdom sunshine tree terrace orange citrus swirl

As you can see, the Orange Swirl in a cup is just $4.29, while the Orange Swirl Float is $5.29 and both are considered snack credits on the Disney Dining Plan. The rest of the menu has stayed untouched, but changing the Citrus Swirl is big enough to alter anyone’s plans of visiting or not visiting Sunshine Tree Terrace.

The new blend is a mixture of vanilla and orange soft-serve ice cream which is an obvious change over the old Citrus Swirl. It no longer has the bright color and tart taste of orange juice, and it is more of a softer taste which, well, it isn’t great.

The new orange soft-serve ice cream is vegan-friendly.

It’s not necessarily bad at all and it has a taste much like that of a creamsicle bar you can buy from most groceries. There is more of a sweet taste to the new snack and the tartness of the frozen orange juice has disappeared, and that is honestly what was so enjoyable about the Citrus Swirl.

While some will likely enjoy the new Orange Swirl, many are already upset about it.

Hey @WaltDisneyWorld you guys killing the Citrus Swirl is SERIOUSLY UNCOOL

— Foxxy (@MKPony) March 9, 2018

Raise your hand if you feel personally attacked by the citrus swirl change.????????‍♀️

— Stephanie Logothetis (@_stephwoodall) March 11, 2018

The return of the Citrus Swirl and the iconic Orange Bird back in 2012 is something that a lot of Disney fans wanted for a long time. Now, a major change has taken place in Adventureland and it has come as a huge surprise to so many people.

walt disney world magic kingdom sunshine tree terrace orange citrus swirl

There is really no shortage of awesome snacks in Walt Disney World, but it’s not easy to deal with change for some people. Sure, they will be able to survive without something such as the Citrus Swirl, but the Orange Swirl really wasn’t an expected or great replacement. Sunshine Tree Terrace used to have one of the best snacks in all of Magic Kingdom, but the change is going to take a bit of getting used to.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

It can't be ice cream if it is vegan friendly as there would be no cream or other dairy in it. 

IIRC the dole whip already does't have dairy in it.  Actually if you look at the ingredients it's more of a space age polymer than food.  But it's a delicious space age polymer.  LOL

2 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

IIRC the dole whip already does't have dairy in it.  Actually if you look at the ingredients it's more of a space age polymer than food.  But it's a delicious space age polymer.  LOL

What's the old saying, if the list of ingredients words are more than 2 syllables or you can't pronounce them, then you shouldn't ingest them...

The term "ice cream" is used for lots of non-dairy desserts these days...I think because people that can't or won't eat dairy are interested in finding treats that closely resemble traditional ice "cream".  I have no idea what's in this orange stuff at the MK, but there are some very good nut-based and coconut-based ice creams on the market now.  They get better all the time.  

Just now, Travisma said:

What's the old saying, if the list of ingredients words are more than 2 syllables or you can't pronounce them, then you shouldn't ingest them...

Normally I'd agree 100%.  Unless those 37 ingredients I can't pronounce are pineapple flavored and swirled into a cup of pineapple juice.  B)

Just now, DaveInTN said:

... there are some very good nut-based and coconut-based ice creams on the market now.  They get better all the time.  

My mom is hooked on the Ben & Jerry's dairy free ice cream - made with almond milk. I've tried it and it's about as close to "real" ice cream as I've tasted.

2 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

My mom is hooked on the Ben & Jerry's dairy free ice cream - made with almond milk. I've tried it and it's about as close to "real" ice cream as I've tasted.

Those are good!  there is another brand that I can't remember, that makes cashew milk based ice cream that's even better.  They have a salted caramel crunch flavor that's really good.  

ETA:  I found it.

photo-11.jpg

11 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

The term "ice cream" is used for lots of non-dairy desserts these days...I think because people that can't or won't eat dairy are interested in finding treats that closely resemble traditional ice "cream".  I have no idea what's in this orange stuff at the MK, but there are some very good nut-based and coconut-based ice creams on the market now.  They get better all the time.  

I've noticed a lot of the Bryers containers don't say ice cream, they say frozen dairy dessert.

My favorite still is Publix brand, real ice cream and still in 1/2 gallon containers, not those weird reduced size ones.

And if you catch them on sale 2 for $7.  Inflation got them they used to be 2 for $5.

7 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Those are good!  there is another brand that I can't remember, that makes cashew milk based ice cream that's even better.  They have a salted caramel crunch flavor that's really good.  

photo-11.jpg

Ooh - I'll have to let mom know about that one.  Thanks!  :)

Normally I'd agree 100%.  Unless those 37 ingredients I can't pronounce are pineapple flavored and swirled into a cup of pineapple juice.  B)

On occasion some rum added into that pineapple flavoring and pineapple juice is needed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On 3/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, DaveInTN said:

photo-11.jpg

That looks good and I will probably try it if I can find it locally. However it still isn't ice cream.